Server time: 2017-09-22, 18:49

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Colton

A change in the community

Guest Colton   
Guest Colton

I have been noticing something in the community that is kind of deterring me, as well as some others, away, and making gaming less fun in RP because after almost every interaction, you have to check the forums to see if someone put up a report. Lately it seems the community is so quick to put up one, you can't do anything against another player thats somewhat hostile without a ban report, sure it might not be ideal to you, but its part of the game! Some get a little too annoyed over the simplest things and will nitpick at any little rule just to get back at whoever. There is a guy who has played in this community since 2012 and has even said it's getting out of hand, making him not want to play anymore. To me, I find this getting a little out of hand.

Also, I have been noticing OOC hate. People hear from ear to ear about an event that happened and immediately come to a conclusion about that person and or group, never getting to hear their side of the story. Eventually coming to a point whenever they see that person in game they act hostile towards them, even if their characters haven't been able to meet in RP.

Anyone else feeling this way?

Andrew    0

I do agree with you to some extent however a fair few of the reports lately have been dropped or sorted out on team speak, obviously excluding the clear rule breaking reports. Just stick to the rules and you will be fine, I try not to take any chances which could be risky. I do 100% agree with the ooc hate, especially towards certain clans...

tnkydoe    14

Reports aren't necessarily out for bans. Sometimes people need answers. However I do wish people worked harder to seek out whoever and talked to them before making a report.

after almost every interaction, you have to check the forums to see if someone put up a report.

If you feel this way, you're probably doing something wrong.

Lately it seems the community is so quick to put up one, you can't do anything against another player that's somewhat hostile without a ban report, sure it might not be ideal to you, but its part of the game!

Some get a little too annoyed over the simplest things and will nitpick at any little rule just to get back at whoever.

This is usually only followed with OOC hate, and yes, there is OOC hate in this community. There are so many people, of coarse we can't make friends with everybody, we just have to 'live' with them. Ignore them if you can is my best piece of advice.

Also, I have been noticing OOC hate. People hear from ear to ear about an event that happened and immediately come to a conclusion about that person and or group, never getting to hear their side of the story.

Report wise, we do hear -everyones- side of the story, you could have only seen a little bit and you'd still be asked for your PoV. Drama wise, it's true that some people don't get to hear the other side of the story, but that's up to you to let them know the other side of the story.

Eventually coming to a point whenever they see that person in game they act hostile towards them, even if their characters haven't been able to meet in RP.

This is called metagaming, there's plenty of it on this server, and it usually sparks from OOC hate. All you can do is report, but since you just stated you're not all for swift reports, then talk to the person first and sort it out. Both the hate and the problem, no need to be childish.

The community has changed, may it be positive or negative relies on the player.

Dowsey    0

So I'm pretty new to the community, but thought I'd throw my 2 cents in.

There are a lot of reports, but the majority of them are worked out or are blatant rule breaks.

I don't feel like I need to worry about being reported against as I am following the rules, but more importantly, am keen on trying to roleplay any scenario I find myself in.

Sure, it may -look- bad that there's a lot of reports, but most of them result in a healthy outcome (being a solution or justice). I really like the report system that DayZRP has. If you're going to make a report, you have to be serious about it.

Moxy    19

I'm afraid I agree with you in that people get mad after they are robbed or killed and find retribution by filling out a report discussion and then look for different rules they may have broken.

This type of revenge has to stop.

We all cannot win all of the time. We are going to get robbed, we are going to lose firefights, and people are going to make genuine mistakes. Everyone needs to take a step back and realize this. Myself included, when I get robbed/killed I am upset, but that is not the time to file a report.

One must cool down and realize it's all part of the game and that it is in fact what makes Dayz, well, Dayz.

People are getting reported for making honest mistakes and such that simply do not need to be reported for, and if people would simply talk it out prior to filling out a report then the issues could likely be dissolved.

My last firefight was done in this fashion; we had a firefight, had a lot of confusion and in the end both parties got away with some survivors.

Immediately after I moved up to their channel and talked to them asking how they thought it went. At first they were stand off-ish as I believe they thought I was gloating, but once they realized I was being genuine they stopped seeing me as the IC enemy and talked to me as a fellow DayzRP member and we were completely friendly OOC as it should be. We then talked about grey areas during the fight that we both had questions about. I wondered about the unarmed people they were using as human shields and why they dropped their weapons and were pretending to be random civs, turned out, they were actually random civs looting the field during the fight.

This prevented a report against them because I was able to directly talk to them in a calm, friendly manner.

I feel this is nearly impossible in reports because everyone immediately goes on the aggressive and the defensive like its parliamentary debate class all over again.

In the end, people need to remember this is a harsh world. It's a damn zombie apocalypse survival horror game after all FFS.

In addition, I want to touch on how I feel about the S3 Hardcore server and it's new set of 'Firefight' rules and possible other rule implementation:

I'm hoping that with the addition of Hardcore S3 server, that those that more of a 'survivalish' roleplay experience will go there thus lowering reports of those that don't like survivor harsh roleplay.

This will include understanding that mistakes happen in a firefight, robberies can be tough and fast (not to be confused with shitty robberies) and not being upset when you got robbed. Though I don't want to split up the community, I do think that S3 is a great chance for those wanting a more realistic experience can play there with other like minded players.

#CutforHardcoreS3

Oldman    22

I kinda feel ya, I think clans should be more forgiving for eachother after all you need two to tango. A small tiny mistake can lead to mass kos and hate from the receiving party all they wanted to do is get incontact with your group, but they failed in one small part of the game. In a race game you crash here you get banned for mistakes. That feeling needs to go, you need to get punished harder for deliberate mistake and less hard for non intended mistakes.

Deliberate mistakes:

- knowing you are breaking NLR, but doing it anyway.

- joining a fight, thinking they will not find out a random shot them.

non intended mistakes:

- making contact, but you are one meter out of range.

- you mis ID a target in a fight, but you had honest suspicion he was part of it.

Also, I notice in all the report discussions its alway the same peoplethat jump the gun and are calling out all sorts off things that are possible rulebreaks, without knowing the other side of the story. It creates an instead hate in the threads. These people need to calm down and stop responding in every report. Apart form the clutter in the report they don't add anything to the report 90% of the time. The people who do this will know so no need to call them out. If you read this, think before you post.

Take these steps when reading a discussion:

- read everything and watch the video/picture.

- wait for pov of the other side.

- if you feel something is missed then point it out.

- never push for formal

- never repeat someone

- never say things like 'they did this before to me in ... report'

- never use one liners like 'clear kos' or 'this is bad rp'

Before making a discussion here are some things you can do before making it:

- take a breather its only game, calm a bit before you post your report.

- try to contact them, but don't mass poke him he might be in a firefight or talking with someone in game.

- think about his pov and see if you can understand it, maybe it could have happend to you.

- never ask them gear back or else, let them instead offer it to you.

- if the person does not want to talk, he might need a breather to so try again later or offer it in your discussion report.

- don't mass pov with your clan, let one guy be responsible for the pov of your group. If your seperate pov does not add anything then don't post it unless you want to point out a specifik detail.

Chernov    0

Warning, log post incoming with a possible rant like tone. :P Bandit rp has changed very much over time. There are positives and negatives to me so I will list them from my point of view. These are all a result of how the rules determining what bandits can and cant do have changed. I know this is somewhat off topic but I feel this needs to be mentioned.

Positives:

1. Bandits are pressed more to give their hostage a good experience. While it does not always happen, I feel the newer rules help to ensure it isn't just the cliche as hell drop weps 10 secs robbery. You actually get good rp and need a reason to take someone hostage. Not just "gear nao plz"

2. It prevents scenarios where bandits end their hostage's lives to quickly. Now there is more motivation to keep them alive as long as possible and once again, to make it enjoyable as possible for both sides.

Now we get into the negatives. And I hear everyone already: "Such little positives and so many negatives, stop bitching." Sorry but these are the ups and downs I see. This is how I see that things have changed.

Negatives:

1. Now AT TIMES, it is very difficult for a bandit to create a realistic hostage scenario. Virtually all forms of torture are considered power gaming now. I cant beat a hostage, I cant stab them and I cant take limbs as violent incentive to tell me what I want to know or do as I say. I have to "type that I go to do it" and then they can rp that they somehow avoid the torture. So now hostage scenarios are just a classic four year old style arguments 90% of the time. "Tell me what I want to know!" "No! Yes! No! Yes!"

2. A lot of people disagree with me on this, but I feel that the server for a while has had a very anti bandit mentality. And with the rules alienating bandits and making them seem like people who say "fuck the rules" and need to be watched closely and heavily restricted in what they can do, I feel a sense of ruleplay over roleplay has developed. A bandit killed you? Report them! They have to have done something wrong! Even if the bandit was in the wrong but it was a simple mistake. Cant let them get away without that ban!

3. Way too much is expected of us now. Bandits are asked to do so much unreasonable stuff lately. Example: It is a firefight and you are searching for your enemy. You see an armed man pass by and you worry it could be an enemy. Now I am not at all saying just straight up shoot the guy and hope it's who you are looking for. But ask yourself this, you need to find out if that guy is just a random who wandered in or not. But there is a chance that he is the enemy and this will get you killed. Are the rules not forcing you into a situation here that constitutes no value for life? If it was real I would definitely not want to put myself at risk to avoid shooting a random.

Then there is how much people expect a bandit to be able to juggle lately. Criteria for being a bandit these days? Be able to be 100 percent focused in a firefight and actually fight back, but also stop fighting and talk to hostages and give them the best damn rp experience they have ever had. Whats that you say? You told hostages to shut up for a moment while you fight the guys trying to rescue them? Sorry buddy, that's bad rp right there. Once again, the rules forcing you into no value for life. Yeah I am being shot at from five different people, but let me ignore it and have a conversation. Hope I don't get shot.

4. Realistic types of bandits cannot be played here. What do I mean? In this setting, cannibals, doomsday cults and maniacs would be very common. But you cant play them very well in bandit and torture situations. All you can do to play as one is talk to an invisible man or threaten to eat people. But sorry, you cant make good on those promises.

I used to do amazing torture scenarios with friends back in the day. We would torture them, and play games where we dismembered people and forced them to kill their friends and families to save themselves in a brutal struggle for survival. We really made them fear for their lives, and they had wonderful rp and told us we did as well and it was the most fun they have had on rp and the first time they genuinely feared for their life in such a situation. But alas, this kind of rp cannot happen anymore.

I would like to end this massive rant with a thank you to those who took the time to read it and let me vent a bit :D What are your opinions on what I discussed? Finally I apologize if I seemed somewhat biased and or angry. This is not in anyway meant as flame or rage.

Now reading the original post I see that this is not the change in the community he meant. Apologies for changing the subject but it is still a change worth mentioning.

The Clown    1

Judging from the fact that a thread with this or a very similar topic pops out like twice per month for at least the last 12 months I kinda doubt that calling it "change in the community" is appropriate.

You listed some issues. Issues that apparently can't really be dealt with from staff side even though they certainly try their best.

All YOU can do is to be part of the solution, not the problem. Don't file reports right after the interaction, give it 1-2 hours so you can be sure you are cooled down and thinking properly about what happened.

OOC hate, well. Some people don't like other people, deal with it.

There are a lot of reports, yes, but you are biased because as someone who reads the forums every day, I can tell you are on the receiving end of the reports rather than the one making them. People think it's harder to be a bandit because of all the rules you must follow and be very careful and all that, but they don't understand how it is to be in a hero clan and constantly being the target of blatant faulty initiations, KOS and then suffering the consequences. As heroes we cannot just respawn and go rob someone to regear, we have to actually work for it just to be eventually robbed again. We always have to be on the edge of pressing the "record" button to make sure the actions taken against us are within the rules, the burden of proof falls on us all the time. As a bandit, you are prepared, you decide when you are going to initiate and can record whenever you know you are ready, us heroes can never be ready enough.

Chernov    0

stuff

I have two things to say to respond to this. One, I understand heros have it difficult as well. I know that not all bandits do their job correctly and sometimes fall outside the boundaries of the rules. I know this makes the burden of proving this very difficult for heros and their play style presents its own challenges. But I say bandits feel restricted because I see time and time again that the bandits who have it just as rough because they work very hard to provide quality rp and keep all their actions in accordance with the rules but all they want is to play the game their way (being a bandit) and enjoy the community. Some people say that these people are not many in number here. I think they are but many have left because they too feel restricted.

And finally, if this was even directed at me :D you say that I sound like I am on the accused end of reports a lot which makes my argument seem biased. You are somewhat right. I am on that side of the report sometimes (if I get reported at all, which thankfully I do not much at all.) I have been on the same side as you in the burden of proof situations you described so I know how it feels. I get that you want the person who killed you in a way that is a dick move or a violation of the rules to know he messed up so future bad experiences can be prevented. Maybe I am still a little biased, but I understand your perspective and I think that helps strengthen my argument if anything. Plus if I am biased towards the bandits it's because if the rules start to make it so I cant play as a full bandit or limit how I do it, it is basically telling me I can play but not my way. The way I enjoy it. But other people can play their way because it is more popular to the community than mine.

Guest Colton   
Guest Colton

All YOU can do is to be part of the solution, not the problem. Don't file reports right after the interaction, give it 1-2 hours so you can be sure you are cooled down and thinking properly about what happened.

This is EXACTLY what I am getting at, if everyone thought like "Let me calm down and try to talk it out before going to a report with a thick mindset" it would completely cure what I am talking about, people putting up reports that aren't necessary.

There are a lot of reports, yes, but you are biased because as someone who reads the forums every day, I can tell you are on the receiving end of the reports rather than the one making them.

And thank you for proving my point even more, I am not the one making posts about simple things that can be talked over and avoided being put on the forums. If you actually look, every report I have put up I took down eventually because I think about not only my side, but the offenders side of the story. And I never post a report, unless I cant get a hold of that person for a while. Every time something happens in game to me that could be reportable, the first thing I do is try to talk it out on teamspeak. And so far it worked 100% of the time. Also I keep in mind that in the end we all just want to come on and relax from a day of whatever to play a game. We are all the same, we like to get together and have a fun time. Why ruin someones game play time for an accident or a silly mistake because you were mad at the time and didn't think it through. Sure there is reports that definatly shouldn't be overlooked or taken down, but I am getting at the ones that could be accidental or easily fixed for the future.

Jottar    0

I think one reason why people are reporting more is because a lot of people are tired of how things are going ingame. People are starting to get short fuses over all the situations they deal with. Most of the time it's probably they dealt with 4 bad robberies right before the one they made the report for but that one was the final straw.

I see a lot of whats happening with bandit activity in the server where it isn't just robbing for the experience or anything. Most of the time now its just robberies because that guy has a gun that's exactly the same as I have but I just want it, or i'm to lazy to go get some stuff after dying so i'm gonna rob the guy with a hatchet.

The problem is that robberies happen so often now for no reason most of the time that people are just getting fed up and lose it and report the next one that was sub par. You can't even run into people nowadays without your first thought is if they are gonna rob you or not.

The first question you should ask yourself s why are you in so many situations that you have to keep checking the forums.

Tomeran    3

Judging from the fact that a thread with this or a very similar topic pops out like twice per month for at least the last 12 months I kinda doubt that calling it "change in the community" is appropriate.

This statement hit the nail in the head.

I've been here since the community practicly got going. Most of the time I've kept up with "trends".

And its always been like this. Its not a new thing. Its not a change in the community, at least not to any notable trend towards the worse.

The problem IS real, in that way the OP has a point. Its certainly common that some reports are false and that people are out to jump at each other for the smallest thing in order to just get back at them. Its a game, and especielly in PvP (which is the origin of 95% of all reports) there's a lot of heated emotions flying around.

But to state that its been some sort of "increase lately" when several people have said so many times before(with pretty much nothing to back it up with) is just wrong.

If anything, its less of a problem then it used to be.

It was more of an issue when people could create formals outright from the beginning. In the autumn and winter of 2013(also known as the settlement high season) things were a mess. 10-15 formals a day, at least. But staff introduced the "discussion first" rules and you know what? it may be one of the better rule changes we've ever done to this community, because it cut the amount of formal reports by extreme amounts.

True, there's always the fair few that push for a formal from a discussion, but its easy to forget that the majority of reports that go to formal are actually genuine and made for genuine reasons. And for that reason, one could easily spin this argument around to a different problem at the "opposite end": The fear of either being reported for "false report" for bringing up a rule violation or for being considered "not sportsmanlike" when they dont want to cut a deal.

As someone who's been at both ends of this and who's worked as a GM at the "insane time" of formal reports in DayZRP's history, as well as someone who's been in this community since its infancy, I can assure you(for whatever you think it is worth) that the later is as much of a problem as the former. Yet oddly enough, its rarely brought up as one. One might(or at least should, imo) want to wonder why.

Guest neom   
Guest neom

I am with you on this, I feel you can't do anything at all without the threat of a report after doing anything hostile we are always refreshing the reports to see what to do next, it shouldn't be like this

Guest JMS   
Guest JMS

after almost every interaction, you have to check the forums to see if someone put up a report.

If this is the case you are doing something seriously wrong

I am with you on this, I feel you can't do anything at all without the threat of a report after doing anything hostile we are always refreshing the reports to see what to do next, it shouldn't be like this

Play by the rules. If you don't break the rules what do you have to fear ?

Guest neom   
Guest neom

You have nothing to fear at all but you get reports like this

Valkerion    0

I think some people just need to get over themselves in some cases ,I agree that currently there is an all time high on straight ruleplay in my opinion (at least since i have been here) and most of the time i find its for really "petty" things i have a look at the reports section a few times a day and not to be rude but some of them just actually make me laugh if im honest.

- The hostage taker didnt leave me with a drink even though i dont need one...Report

- he called me a bitch at TP ,TP hostilities aren't aloud....Report

- Initiated on me for no reason...Bad RP report..

- I knew there was a firefight but walked into anyway...Report for KOS

The amount of "petty" reports are just unreal some people just need to step back and just enjoy the game instead of phishing for "revenge" after every situation.

Guest JMS   
Guest JMS

You have nothing to fear at all but you get reports like this

At the end of the day Neom this is why staff have the 'false report' system in place. If someone goes out and reports someone for the hell of it and it's not a rule break then that person gets the ban. It's an easy way to stop everyone reporting for no reason

Guest Whazmeister   
Guest Whazmeister

I agree, take for example the no kill compliant hostages. In principle there's nothing wrong with this rule, but the way people handle it is just so horrible.

Before, nobody complained if they got killed due to a Good Samaratin's actions. No reports, everybody were just okay with it. Than the rule adjustment came and people started making reports because why not.

They were okay with it before, why not now? Because it's banneable?

And then there's those people that say IC 'you can't kill a compliant hostage' and OOC 'you cant kill a compliant hostage' when you're simply just treathning them with more death to add to the RolePlay

Guest ArcticStarling   
Guest ArcticStarling

If you don't fuck up, you shouldn't get reported, simple as that. If you don't fuck up and you do get reported it will be a false report.

Valkerion    0

If you don't fuck up, you shouldn't get reported, simple as that. If you don't fuck up and you do get reported it will be a false report.

You can say it will be a false report but thats still time i have to waste posting my POV and having a back and forth argument with somebody over nothing.

Guest JMS   
Guest JMS

You can say it will be a false report but thats still time i have to waste posting my POV and having a back and forth argument with somebody over nothing.

Doesn't take that long to post a POV

Guest Icy   
Guest Icy

As Arrex said, it's nothing new.

There are people that report/try to find every single bit of possible rulebreak.

My mindset is:

Something major like KOS, trolling, heavy metagaming, intentional NLR, HUGE no value for life = Report, if he honestly apologizes/understand his fault, probably drop it

Something minor like initiation was not #bestRP2014, unintentional bad RP ( I got no slots in my bag, it'll despawn), or something not heavily rule-breaking, is barely worthy of discussion, maybe a heads-up poke, or quickly talk about it on TS

Report discussions are to discuss, I get it why so many reports come. Formal though, I think is where only the worst things should end up

In the end of the day, people need to remember that RP stands for RolePlay, not RePort or RulePlay. Sadly, many people focus on the 2 wrong meanings of RP more

Guest JMS   
Guest JMS

I agree, take for example the no kill compliant hostages. In principle there's nothing wrong with this rule, but the way people handle it is just so horrible.

Before, nobody complained if they got killed due to a Good Samaratin's actions. No reports, everybody were just okay with it. Than the rule adjustment came and people started making reports because why not.

They were okay with it before, why not now? Because it's banneable?

And then there's those people that say IC 'you can't kill a compliant hostage' and OOC 'you cant kill a compliant hostage' when you're simply just treathning them with more death to add to the RolePlay

I despised that rule when it first got implemented. Now having been a hostage I love it.. You actually have the chance to be saved rather than knowing if your GS shoots you die and if he doesn't shoot you get excecuted. It's a amazing to enjoy the roleplay of your hostage takers whilst they take fire from a GS.

Also if someone goes OOC to tell you they can't shoot you then that's just a dick move