Server time: 2017-08-20, 02:07

Sign in to follow this  
Furlean

How to be a Chernarussian

Chernarus_flag.jpg

Hello everyone,

I've decided to make this tutorial/guide as I feel there are some players who role-play Chernarussian characters in a very incorrect way - as if they've come out of some cheap vodka bar in downtown Moscow. While this does not apply to every person who plays as a Chernarussian, over the past year, I have found a lot of 'Chernarussians' who use typical generic Russian words like 'Da' and 'Comrade' when addressing people - which really grinds my gears.

So for this guide, I would like to give some friendly advice if you wish to RP as a Chernarussian character and maybe teach you something new. I am no expert at Slavic accents or languages but I do come from a Western Slavic speaking background and understand it's culture.

Understanding Chernarussian culture:

To understand Chernarussian culture in the ArmaVerse, we must first look at the very people who made the whole ArmA series. It is crucial to understand that Bohemia Interactive has a tendency to incorporate the company's native Czech history, culture and language into their video games. This can be seen evidently in the Operation Flashpoint & Resistance Campaigns, and Arma II Red Harvest Campaign.

Chernarus: Bohemia Interactive Wikia Article

What Bohemia Interactive has effectively done is created a fictional Slavic state, and has added a mixture of real life Eastern Slavic and Western Slavic culture and language to it.

In the ArmAVerse - Chernarus is a country located on the Green Sea, roughly the same size as Luxembourg (1000 square miles), bordered by Russia to the North and Takistan to the West. It sits on a peninsula that extends into the Black Sea.

While it shares some historical and early cultural ties with Russia, according to ArmA 2 and DayZRP lore, it still maintains its own unique culture and language. Most notably - the Chernarussian language - which is evidently heard throughout the Arma II Red Harvest campaign as the Czech language.

Example of Chernarussian Language

7fC7IIlr.thumb.png.9c59424a6f4b3b94a5e6a3db5438dbf7.png

'Chernarus' when translated into English literally means 'Black Russia'. (I gather this is a reference to Black Ruthenia)

The similarities between the Russian and Chernarussian/Czech language are quite profound, but while they from the same language group (Slavic languages), they are completely different and share approximately about 40% of vocabulary.

Items found ingame also provide evidence of a fictional Chernarussian culture paralel to real life Czech culture:

Zmijovka_Cap_Green.png

"A traditional Chernarussian headwear suitable for chilly or windy weather. The name Zmijovka relates to the viper-like patter, as 'zmije' means viper."

In real life, Zmijovkas are traditional Czech winter hats worn by many around the country.

2678517_lubomir-lipsky-at-ziji-duchove-jouza-vaclav-kopta-jiri-korn-zmijovka-cepice-v2.jpg.833be47ae0896ea1c9eb0857838cd1a9.jpg

Bad ass if you ask me...

Wolf01.png?version=51bf1f79aa1ffebf4f5fd316559def26

"A carnival mask popular among the children of Chernarus. Most commonly worn during the end of harvest festivities."

While the description of these items state they are popular item of Chernarussian children, they are actually references to the game, PAYDAY. I gather the relationship of the mask to the harvest festivities is parallel with the Czech carnival Masopust, which is a carnival celebrated before Lent in some regions of the Czech Republic. The carnival varies region to region but a ceremonial procession of masks and music is a part of the festivity which occurs in villages and towns throughout the Czech Republic.

10012901b.jpg

800px-CR75.png.9bc51d5cecd91baf74591165c1be155b.png                                        

CR75 - "Semi-automatic pistol made by Chernaruska Zbrojovka in Kirovograd since 1975. Very popular in eastern block countries thanks to good quality and affordable price."

800px-CR527Wood.png.400b7d718aa09b2482318cfe04d8f225.png

CR527 - "The CR527 carbine is a bolt-action, magazine-fed, light weight, intermediate range ‘brush gun'."

The in-game description of the CR75 pistol informs us that the weapon is manufactured by a Chernarussian firearms manufacturer named 'Chernaruska Zbrojovka'. Chernaruska Zbrojovka is a ingame parallel of the real life Česká zbrojovka Uherský Brod firearms manufacturer based in the Czech Republic. The CR to CZ name alteration of the different weapons I assume is for copyright purposes.

400px-PizzaPresto_1.jpg.28ba3f891e8d3adabfe0f7f17fa3097b.jpg

Billboards found around Chernarus

Many of the billboards found around South Zagoria have references to real life Czech businesses and cultural references. (Pizza Presto is an actual restaurant located in Mníšek pod Brdy, Czech Republic.

These are just some of the items that draw a line from the parallel world of Chernarus to the real world of the Czech Republic.

While the official language of the fictional state of Chernarus may speak a different language than their neighbours to the North, there seems to be two prominent cultural articles that both states share that we can see evidently in-game.

Cyrillic Script: This can been seen evidently by looking at town and village boundary signs located throughout South Zagoria. It could be speculated that Chernarussian is written using a mixture of Latin and Cyrillic script, with Cyrillic more prominent in the regions closer to Russia (such as South Zagoria) or that is completely written in Cyrillic OR in Latin script.

Vyshnaya_Dubrovka_8a.jpg

Orthodox Christanity: The Eastern Orthodox Church seems to have a large following in Chernarus and South Zagoria, given the amount of churches seen with the Orthodox Crux on top of them. In the 21st century, the Czech Republic does not have a strong religious culture attached to it but the Roman Catholic Church does have a long history in the regions of Bohemia and Moravia dating back to the times of Great Moravia in the 9-10th centuries CE.

SJ5s_U7y.jpg

Whether the references we see in the province of South Zagoria influence the whole of Chernarussian culture, we simply do not know. Chernarus may be populated with many minority groups living in large communities in different provinces and communities (which is a very common occurrence in Central & Eastern Europe). This point is further proven, especially in regards to a high ethnic Russian population in the northern reaches of South Zagoria, as evidently heard and seen in the Arma II Red Harvest Campaign.

I believe it is crucial to know these following facts regarding your country if you are considering RPing a Chernarussian:

1. The Capital of Chernarus is Novigrad - it is by far the largest city and sits on the Burnaya Delta. It is not Chernogorsk. Cheronogorsk is the administrative capital of South Zagoria.

2. The Chernarussian Language is unique and native. It is not same as Russian.

3. The event that probably hits the hearts and minds of most Chernarussians is the Civil War in 2009 between the Chedaki and CDF troops, as well as ultra-right wing paramilitary groups. Debate still ravels on among Chernarussians of the implications and effects that the war had on the country - even years after it ended.

4. The Bolsheviks/Soviets had an influence over the country from 1917 to 1991. The dissolution of the Soviet Union led to an independent and democratic Chernaurussian state, Chernarussians are actively engaged in politics in their local communities with many holding varying political views, with some using violence as a means to propagate their beliefs.

5. The Founding Dukes of Chernarussia were the Kozlovs dukes in the 11th century.

News Report - One year before the major civil war of 2009 (Operation Red Harvest)

DELIVERING A CHERNARUSSIAN ACCENT:

When it comes to delivering a Chernarussian accent via voice, I would highly recommend giving a read on Slavic languages, notably, the Czech language - it will really open your eyes to some knowledge - and will better your roleplaying environment for yourself and others, and a more accurate representation of the Chernarussian people and culture.

Examples of Czech citizens speaking English.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavic_languages

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Slavic_languages

NOTE: I understand that Wikipedia is not always the most reliable source of information but the content here seems pretty accurate and covers a wide array of topics involving the linguistics of Czech and other Slavic languages.

The most common theme of the Czech language when comparing tit to their Eastern cousins derivatives are:

- Czech is more 'softly' spoken language when compared to Russian. English spoken by a Czech or Slovak is considerably less "harsh" than spoken by a typical Russian.

- The Czech language has a tendency towards fixed 'stress' on the first or just before the last syllable.

- the groups pj, bj, mj, vj developed into softer consonant forms without the epenthesis (the addition of one or more sounds to a word) of 'l'.

- the use of the palate than the tongue when putting stress on words.

- Czech has seven cases: nominative, genitive, dative, accusative, vocative, locative and instrumental. This essentially means that a word can have 14 possible forms in singular and plural. Some forms are the same in more than one place in each paradigm.

Some examples of a Czech Accent: These would be accurate representations of a Chernarussian accent.

I would also highly recommend learning some basic Czech Phrases to use in-game. It can help RP wise to start a conversation with someone in Chernarussian/Czech and switch to English if they do not understand, which will be 95% of the time. This will show the person you are RPing with you have developed a character who appears to be some-what bi-lingual and is native to the country - sometimes known to be an impressive feat in Anglophone countries. I have attempted to re-write the Czech equivalents for English speakers so it is easier to pronounce.

Hello - A-hoy

Goodbye - Sbo-hem/Na Sh-le-danou

Yes - A-no

No - Ne

Thank You - De-ku-ye

Sorry - Proo-min-te

Please - Proo-sim

Understand? - Roz-u-mish?

How are you? - Yak se mat-e ?

Good - Dob-ry, Dob-ra

Terrible - Hr-ozný

Nice - Pek-ni

Where is  ? - K-de ye ?

What is your name? - Ja-ka ye va-se jm-eno?

Help! - Pom-ots!

Hey! - Hey!

Now! - Taej!

Okay (in agreement) - Souh-las

My name is - Yem-e-nuyi se y _____

Do you speak Chernarussian? - M-lu-vit-e Čer-no-rus-ká?

Do you speak English? M-lu-vít-e An-glit-sky ?

Friend - Príi-tel

Repeat - O-pa-ko-vat

Stop! - Zas-ta-vit

Hands Up! - Ru-ce se ny-ní

I will shoot! - Budu stri-let!

Ten Seconds! - De-set vt-e-řin

One - Jeden

Two - Dvě

Three - Tři (pronounced like Fshe)

Four - čtyři (pronounced like Shede)

Five - pět (pronounced like Piat)

Six - šest (pronounced like Shest)

Seven - sedm (pronounced like Sedem)

Eight - Osm

Nine - Devět (pronounced like deviet)

Ten - Deset

Shit! - Svi-nak!, Hov-no!

Whore! - Kurwa, Coura!

Bitch! - Fena!

Whatever - Sok-o-lev

Further translations and pronunciations of Czech words and phrases: 

Detailed Czech Phrases Travel Book from WikiTravel

I hope you have benefited from reading this guide and I sincerely hope we get can some good native Chernarussian RP. I believe the server needs more natives and even if you can't put on an accent, at least try to make an effort! I will try to add more content to this guide over time. Thanks for the feedback so far.

Edited by Sulla

Very nice guide you wrote there. I am yet to play as a Chernarussian. But this guide will improve the overall roleplay by eastern characters. At least in my case.

However, I do have one question:

You say that Chernarussian/Czech does not use cyrillic letters. But the roadsigns are all written in cyrillic. How come?

Guest magw33d   
Guest magw33d

Very nice guide you wrote there. I am yet to play as a Chernarussian. But this guide will improve the overall roleplay by eastern characters. At least in my case.

However, I do have one question:

You say that Chernarussian/Czech does not use cyrillic letters. But the roadsigns are all written in cyrillic. How come?

Chernarus is a post-soviet country, meaning it was once a part of the soviet union. It could be assumed that the Russian leading government adopted Cyrillic language for the country and it is one of those remaining things.

Or... Bohemia'd?

-post-

Chernarus is a post-soviet country, meaning it was once a part of the soviet union. It could be assumed that the Russian leading government adopted Cyrillic language for the country and it is one of those remaining things.

Or... Bohemia'd?

So, Chernarussian would technically be written in cyrillic. But pronounciation and most vocabulary is different to russian, da?

You do bring up a very valid point - as it seems in-game Chernarussian linguistically is Czech, it would make sense to show this on script. I have some theories though - the Chernarussian Language is written wholly in Cyrillic or a mixture of Cyrillic and Latin script, or there is a large ethnic Russian community in South Zagoria to warrant the use of Russian as an secondary language of South Zagoria. Again ... these are just theories.

Soren    0

First of all.. It's Cherno-Russian, not Chernarussian. And a Cherno-Russian is the exact same as a Russian, so they just speak Russian.

Just ask a Russian clan like CLF, they can vouch for that.

[align=right]E1GuuEq.png

TomG    0

First of all.. It's Cherno-Russian, not Chernarussian. And a Cherno-Russian is the exact same as a Russian, so they just speak Russian.

[align=right]E1GuuEq.png

walking_target_bulls_eye_on_back_tee-rf38206c30de4435787fb3b56556bdaf1_8041k_512.jpg

[align=right]E1GuuEq.png

dr-cox-gif.gif

Muntz    3

TL;DR Roll your R's and say 'glorious' a lot. That is what I do. :D

Frozen    45

The start of the thread is specifically what I said about how people in DayZRP see Russians or Cherna-Russian, I'm Russian, family is too and all is normal.. Normal life and all..

By the way, in the Czech phrases section, if you want I could help you add a short RU one

Hofer    20

The start of the thread is specifically what I said about how people in DayZRP see Russians or Cherna-Russian, I'm Russian, family is too and all is normal.. Normal life and all..

By the way, in the Czech phrases section, if you want I could help you add a short RU one

Chernarussian**

Why would there be a Russian one in a thread about Chernarussian accents?

Hofer    20

Bumping this thread for glory. It needs to be more visible for newcomers who want to play as a native with and accent. (That is not mandatory)

Vandarian    0

This is a great guide! Thank you for sharing! I especially like that you included the videos so that we can better emulate through what we hear instead of only through what we read. :thumbsup:

I sincerely hope people utilize this as it would be fantastic to RP actual language barriers. It's possible to communicate still and may even encourage more descriptive use in text RP that some may not ordinarily take part in.

Guest Crafty_   
Guest Crafty_

This is very helpful.

Thanks. :)

Nihoolious    1107

Currently using this thread for a new project of mine. So far it us helping a lot considering I see myself as someone who can't do any accent for my life without it sounding offensive

Brad    155

Question: My character has found a Learning Russian book in game. Reading through the comments would this help him speak to a native of Chernarus? or would it be off slightly?

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this