Server time: 2017-08-24, 01:23

Sign in to follow this  
Mavasaur

Prevent Meta Gaming: Remove the Player-list and Hide TS users.

Mavasaur    0

Meta-Gaming is an issue, and it will be until these changes happen.

My suggestion is that we remove the player list accessibility in game. On top of this, I'd think it would be beneficial to hide users in TeamSpeak channels, this way there is virtually no way to see how many of which clan, or who is playing with one another outside of actually asking them.

While hiding users in TS channels may not be completely convenient, it will largely help prevent people from abusing OOC knowledge for IC personal gain. It doesn't have to hide all users, but maybe only hide users in select TS channels such as clan channels.

Thoughts?

Guest JMS   
Guest JMS

-1 Dont like

Fozzy    2

Nope. What if I need to contact someone?

If you strongly disagree with how the ts runs now, why not get your own ts server for you and your clan mates??

Bianco    0

I don't like the idea and don't think it's possible, -1

Hex    31

An understandable suggestion, but only half of it is needed.

You really only need to remove the player list to make this work, knowing who is in TS channels doesnt to a whole lot, many groups stay in the TS channels but play other games. To my knowledge you cannot remove the player list as well....because Arma is Arma.

If you strongly disagree with how the ts runs now, why not get your own ts server for you and your clan mates??

Corks    3

Hiding the player list may work but I am not sure if you can do it and hiding the TS channels is going too far in my opinion.

Ross    0

If there was anyway to remove the player list, then I feel it would be a good idea. However the TS in my opinion wouldn't be the best thing if you need somebady but you don't know where they are.

Snow    1

If the player list was taken out it would be much harder to catch combat loggers, and it IDing corpses would be near-impossible as well.

tnkydoe    14

Been suggested many times.

Mavasaur    0

You don't need to remove the player list even, you can just add that key to current anti hack that already takes note of the current keys used for known cheat programs. Metagaming doesn't just effect firefights and KoS rights, etc. It effects everyone, people will purposely not leave the safe areas such as TP because there are too many of so and so bandit clan.

There's a way to resolve the issue. And these first two steps will make it much harder to meta game.

Roofcake    1

You don't need to remove the player list even, you can just add that key to current anti hack that already takes note of the current keys used for known cheat programs. Metagaming doesn't just effect firefights and KoS rights, etc. It effects everyone, people will purposely not leave the safe areas such as TP because there are too many of so and so bandit clan.

There's a way to resolve the issue. And these first two steps will make it much harder to meta game.

Why does it matter? People still use Skype groups and other software like Raidcall. Simply closing down the in-game menu won't stop it completely, and taking names out of TS will piss everybody off if they want to get in touch with others.

Hudson    0

I think it would cause to many problems with combat loggers and other things. I'm not sure that it could even be done.

Nihoolious    1122

People will metagame. If you look at someone's chat message, you automatically know their name and clan affiliation just by reading. We can't help it, but we can decide wether or not we do something about it. Self-control is the only solution I see.

Also, the playerlist is used for other things like muting people so removing it would be stupid.

Tamaster92    14

Can't remove player list, it's part of base ARMA code and MP netcode.

It is also useful sometimes for exmaple - combat logging, IDing clan tags from corpses, and seeing how busy the server is for technical reasons.

Also you suggested adding the player list key to the logging,

A. I don't believe this is something we can actually do. I mean i'm sure if we tried we could figure it out but we don't set keys for it to log, it logs the most common scripting/hacking keys ONLY.

B. P for player list is a user defined control key, whats to stop someone just switching the player list to a different key?

Ancalagon    0

-1 Dont like

^ dis

how are you supposed to contact people, how are you supposed to catch combat loggers. You can't even check if your new XML is working or contact friends on TS...

Guest johnygt7   
Guest johnygt7

I deslike the idea.-1.

player list can be very handy.Imagine team A and team B in a firefight on X location.

Team A kills team B but they don't know it because there's no playerlist.

Now imagine the amount of KOS that will follow on X location ...

Guest Icy   
Guest Icy

+1 on the player list

It's ridiculus that people can see how many enemies they got online and know when they're safe

And you can check if your xml is working by just typing in chat. and "//test" is enough to show the tags

Burgz    6

It's such a shame because I'm completely torn.

On one hand you have the positives, you can check if people you're hunting for are online as Oldman has said, you can check for combat logging and you'll know about your enemy's numbers to prevent further KOS on innocents.

However, then you have all of the negatives. People hiding within TP because they can see bandits are online, knowing whether or not to initiate on another clan because of their numbers.

But sadly, the balance currently, is as best as we're gonna get. The way that people can metagame off of the player-list isn't exactly fair no, but everyone is on the same wave-length. Everyone is free to use it to their own advantages and everybody has the same access. Some people may want to take the moral high-ground and not look at the player list etc. well sure, that's up to them and that's fine! But they have to remember everyone else is doing it, so they're only putting themselves at a disadvantage per say.

TL;DR: It can't be done anyway, the thread has lived it's short life.

Oldman    22

reasons why the playerlist should stay:

lets say you have revenge rights an a certain clan. You have this for 2 full hours. For some people this is a full gaming session for the day. Now after half an hour that certain clan logs off completely. Would not be fair if that person is then searching for hour and half for a group that is not even online.

you get shot from a guy in the distance, by this time you don't know wich group you are fighting. You kill the person shooting and run up to him. Arma turned him in to a white generic corpse. You press study body and name says Waaberi Djogo. Hmmm that sounds Somalian, but you can't tell if he was black. You click the magic 'P' button and see him in the lobby with the SDS tag. How do you rp this out you might wonder. Well let's say you searched his corpse and found something that linked him to the SDS. Maybe his fishing license or a patch with a white skull.

You run in the woods chasing a guy and initiate, but he magicly disapears behind a pine tree. You keep searching, but you see no one and feel he combat logged. You press 'P' and realise a guy is in the lobby. You smell combat log and you try to contact him on the forums/Teamspeak.

Now comes the dodgy part and the part wich I feel the OP has trouble with. You see a large group of six guys. You click 'P' and see its 6 SDS online. You avoid these man, because you asume now that it is SDS. Is this meta gaming, yes. Is this gamebreaking, no. IRL you can recognize people a lot better when you see people moving around. Is it unfair for SDS that you used 'P', no they can use it to.

I would say its a necessary evil.

Glenn    10

It doesn't help to remove it....

People will always metagame.

You can't help it.

It just happens.

Whitefur    4

Ah, why? Hide TS just makes it so much more confusing to find people...

PandoraX3M    0

The player list cannot be removed as it is the inital part of Arma.

On other notes, just control yourself. The ones that will use it and metagame will be punished as so many times before. U'll be covered and those who are still doing it will get what they deserve if they use it to their ingame advantage.