Server time: 2017-10-19, 09:22
Safe Zone: OPENING SOON

Sign in to follow this  
Guest ad3sa

Server Hopping / Loot Farming. Is it BadRP?

Guest ad3sa   
Guest ad3sa

So I finally managed to play on DayZRP a few hours the past couple of days. Had a few encounters. Some very well executed, some reminiscent of pre-schoolers playing SOLDIER out in the yard. So the Roleplay has been a mixed bag.

However I can live with that, we can't all be great and amazing in Roleplay. Much like not everyone can be a master of twitch shooters, strategy games, so on. We are all different. Roleplaying is basically acting, after all. Moving on however.

I understand all three servers are on the same hive and we are free to change between them as we please. And I understand why that is a must, given the mod's quite popular.

Personally, I like my Chernarus like I like my room. Isolated so I can be with my own thoughts. Because of that, the past two days I played mostly on Server 1. Just exploring the area around Elektro, dodging the infected, getting by on scraps of food. Hoarding some equipment for when "shit hits the fan".

However, Server 1 is usually empty. It's always just me, almost all the time. Occasionally, I'll see the player list have 1 or 2 people. Never had the chance to run into anyone on Server 1 so far.

Now I noticed it's mostly the same people, from the same clans or whatever they are. Groups, guilds, organizations. You get my point.

After a few minutes spend on Server 1, they disconnect. Then later on, they return, only to disconnect after roughly the same amount of time again.

Now I'm not going to report it, hell, I won't even report "badRP", whatever the hell that is. I believe mature people can police themselves. And the community seems to hold the rules of DayZRP to a high standard. Going against them on the low just makes you somewhat of a hypocrite. I can honestly say I don't care for people like that. I let them do their thing, I'll do mine.

But should this be a thing? After all, by all accounts, Chernarus of DayZRP is a desolate wasteland with scarce resoureces.

Is it, "goodRP" by the whole of the community, to server hop and farm loot, when in reality, half of the people should've starved to death already? After all, this is why communities always form in an apocalyptic scenario. To pool resources and soldier through the worst of it.

But can the community of DayZRP's Chernarus ever emerge from the end of the world? No decisive victory will be won over anyone if the factions / individuals are not forced one way or another to unite under a specific goal and sort the infection / hostile groups out.

City taken over by Bandit Clan No. 1 / Hero Group No. 9? Just hop server, gather resources, make base somewhere else.

This is the same issue that plagues the Standalone. The Hive is connected, all people exist over all servers. This allows for ghosting, farming loot, so on.

Now I know ghosting is forbidden by rules. But as far as I can tell, the entire community approves of farming loot. Log out at the airfield, log back in, continue.

There is no struggle for resources, because YOU know that you can always just server hop and farm some food / ammo / medical supplies / whatever.

Does your character know? No of course not, that'd be him being aware that he's a video game character. But you server hopping to farm loot? That's literally the textbook definition of meta gaming.

This is just something I spend the whole morning thinking about. Decided to make a thread.

Got thoughts? Discuss!

I didn't read the thread but by the title server hopping to gain loot is ghosting so therefore it is against the rules.

Mush    2

Loot cycling is against the rules as is ghosting.

Guest JMS   
Guest JMS

I'm confused your complaining clans come on S1 and then log off is that what your saying ? :/

It's not only bad RP but it's also against the server rules, so yeah don't ever loot farm or you may just find yourself in a heap of trouble.

http://www.dayzrp.com/rules.php#rule3 let's have a quick read of the rules shall we? rule 8. in particular.

As for it being badRP, I think that it may all fall under if you meet someone and they blatantly don't want you there or it seems like you're just an inconvenience to them. If you do come across someone and they roleplay with you and give you an enjoyable experience then should them playing on a less populated server condemn them?

I didn't read the thread but by the title server hopping to gain loot is ghosting so therefore it is against the rules.

Maybe read the thread then?

It is against the rules and he is aware of it as he said it but he has some excellent thoughts on it which mimic my own. The problem is endemic with the spirit of the mod as gear is a major focus, akin to Standalone.

Separating S3's Hive works and also adding in more incentive to play on S1 will do the same. That should force more interaction and prevent people from being able to farm without being interrupted.

Yeah this happens a bunch of times but what can you do? Back like a month and a half ago when I first started it wasn't the same for me as it is now, it was RP all the time even on TS for the fun experience DayZ RP has to offer. We formed a group, we were living in Cherno, sharing stories, getting by hard, going for runs in Balota and in the city. It was fun but after we tried to get into like this bigger thing that these clans are involved in, we had/have to do a lot of looting and a lot of dodging other players to avoid getting robbed for our stuff. It also involves heli crash huntings and making stashes and camps at secluded locations. I miss when I could disconnect at a place where my character could have spent the night anywhere (ex: like the first night Joel had to sleep in a tool shed) but now I have to drive ALL the way back to base and such. We are planning to go back to the old days when we run out of this high military stuff but what I am trying to say is that being a clan is good in it's own by but it involves hours and hours of hours of looting to make your clan better/stronger and those hours are NOT worth it

Guest John Le Bear   
Guest John Le Bear

Clans often play server 1 to be alone, away from distractions as they often roleplay together, in their own private group, the same goes with various civilians. So, that is one reason why you often see the same people on S1.

Then you have your players that are not really here for RP, but just a PvE environment, so to avoid potential PvP, or any form of hostility, they play on S1 due to the lower player count regularly, just gathering loot, killing infected, simply surviving.

Then there is people who use the S1 simply because S2 is full and will switch over at any opportunity, hence why there is often quick disconnects.

You also have people, like you talked about, which simply switch servers regularly at high value loot spots, in order to loot cycle. Which is against the rules and is reportable. Logs will show the player switching servers so often. It is abuse of game mechanics in my eyes, as spawning in on another server causes new loot to spawn if no one is there, which is often the case.

One thing about your argument that I find interesting is that you say "Does your character know? No of course not, that'd be him being aware that he's a video game character.", which I agree with. Yet you decide to play on S1 because of your desire for isolation, which is also metagaming as you are using your knowledge of low player counts and taking advantage of it. Your character doesnt know that there is less people, yet you do and make an OOC decision.

Guest johnygt7   
Guest johnygt7

After a few minutes spend on Server 1, they disconnect. Then later on, they return, only to disconnect after roughly the same amount of time again.

this is happening because there are certain groups/clans and people in general who have their camps/stashes/tents with hidden weapons on a different server.My guess would be that they connect to check if their weapons/gear is in place and then they continue their adventures on S2 :P.

Guest ad3sa   
Guest ad3sa

Yet you decide to play on S1 because of your desire for isolation, which is also metagaming as you are using your knowledge of low player counts and taking advantage of it. Your character doesnt know that there is less people, yet you do and make an OOC decision.

Knowing Tradepost is on Server 2 and therefor you deciding to play there, or knowing your friends are on Server 2, so you deciding to play there, falls in the same ball park. Let's not derail the topic here.

Server hopping for loot and having a preferred server to play on due to various reasons, are two different things. Let's get back on topic, please?

this is happening because there are certain groups/clans and people in general who have their camps/stashes/tents with hidden weapons on a different server.My guess would be that they connect to check if their weapons/gear is in place and then they continue their adventures on S2 :P.

So what you are saying.... is that they are moving loot out of the world of Server 2... to Server 1, to keep it safe? Because it sounds like you are saying, without even wincing, that they are metagaming.

Just to clear things up, the definition of Metagaming;

Any strategy, action or method used in a game which transcends a prescribed ruleset, uses external factors to affect the game, or goes beyond the supposed limits or environment set by the game. Another definition refers to the game universe outside of the game itself.

AytonHunter    0

I totally understand what is being said.

Honestly, I'm usually on S2 because I enjoy the interactions I get with people.

Not only that, but I'm usually dry when it comes to resources, I barely have food and I'm constantly almost dying of thirst or low on blood from countless encounters with zombies.

This may just be me and my character's personality (Obv, he is more of a civvie, and has little survival skills), but I find that since everyone flocks to S2, I'm more inclined to go there, hence making looting harder for myself, possible robberies, or those chance encounters where I meet a friendly who saves my life.

I'm not sure whether this is a major thing or not, and since the TP has been implemented, a lot of traffic has directed towards S2. However, I feel once we have some more Player settlements on S1, this will split players into their preferred servers, so hopefully that will cut down the need for any 'server-hopping' that is occurring.

Guest John Le Bear   
Guest John Le Bear

but what I am trying to say is that being a clan is good in it's own by but it involves hours and hours of hours of looting to make your clan better/stronger and those hours are NOT worth it

You are trying the wrong clans then. Clans that spend hours and hours looting obviously have no interest in roleplaying.

I am in a clan and each of our members have some of the best gear on the game, yet we dont go hunting helicrashes all day, or farming loot at airfields or NATO tents. We simply roleplay our characters, rob the occasional guy and get lucky. Often we rob clans that spend the whole day looting, thus fully gearing us up through our RP, rather than gathering loot all day for no reason.

When I mentioned that i didn't say all clans BUT I think most clans do this. I could be wrong but that's just my opinion

IAmJackBandit    77

When I mentioned that i didn't say all clans BUT I think most clans do this. I could be wrong but that's just my opinion

Not even most clans, maybe like 4-5 but this is a roleplay server so most are rp clans. As far as the OP, S1 and S2 are two different servers but rp wise they are the same world/universe, and since stashes/tents don't carry over server to server, most players have stashes on server 1 and log on to get whatever and then go back to server 2 so they can rp or whatnot...

Not even most clans, maybe like 4-5 but this is a roleplay server so most are rp clans. As far as the OP, S1 and S2 are two different servers but rp wise they are the same world/universe, and since stashes/tents don't carry over server to server, most players have stashes on server 1 and log on to get whatever and then go back to server 2 so they can rp or whatnot...

Can't argue with that

Guest TrueChang   
Guest TrueChang

Tl;Dr Don't server hop or loot farm. Look in the ban appeals and you can see you WILL get caught and band.

Yuval    2

Yet you decide to play on S1 because of your desire for isolation, which is also metagaming as you are using your knowledge of low player counts and taking advantage of it. Your character doesnt know that there is less people, yet you do and make an OOC decision.

Knowing Tradepost is on Server 2 and therefor you deciding to play there, or knowing your friends are on Server 2, so you deciding to play there, falls in the same ball park. Let's not derail the topic here.

Server hopping for loot and having a preferred server to play on due to various reasons, are two different things. Let's get back on topic, please?

So what you are saying.... is that they are moving loot out of the world of Server 2... to Server 1, to keep it safe? Because it sounds like you are saying, without even wincing, that they are metagaming.

Just to clear things up, the definition of Metagaming;

Any strategy, action or method used in a game which transcends a prescribed ruleset, uses external factors to affect the game, or goes beyond the supposed limits or environment set by the game. Another definition refers to the game universe outside of the game itself.

Feel free to report 60% of the server for meta gaming, whenever i find stashes they are spread on multiple servers. Thats how people keep things safe. Same thing can be said on crash sites, or NWAF and stary tents as a week after the apocalypse you would have nothing to loot.

On topic

You may be talking about me, as i was switching servers abit when you were on, NOT for loot farming. When i find stashes or camps i tend to visit all servers as each one contains another stash made from the same person, and at the time i had done a trade and had to switch server to get to my stash. If you do see a loot cycler do report them

BobitoZ    0

I asked a similar question.

If S2 is full (like now) and you want to play, you really have no other choice but to go to S1 or S3. That is why they are there, and why they are linked.

If you go to S1 and spend your game time there for the day, you should be fine.

Loot farming is akin to logging off in Stary on S2, logging in on S1, checking the tents, then logging off to go back to S2. The duration is what matters.

Who's to say what will happen on S1 if you are playing for three hours.

Hofer    20

Having the name "Aiden Pearce" is for me bad RP and against the rules.

You would kill my immersion immediately.

Edit: you a hacker in game as well? :D

Guest Alfie   
Guest Alfie

Edit: you a hacker in game as well?

I saw him spawn in a huey last night, no joke.

Oldman    22

S1 will be more popular once settlements are up on that server. Wich I hope soon!

Guest ad3sa   
Guest ad3sa

Edit: you a hacker in game as well? :D

Off topic we go;

My character's name is Aiden T. Pearce, a character name I've had for many many years. Watch Dog's main character came after, and his name is Aiden Pearce.

Same goes for my Starfleet Captain on Star Trek Online. She was Helena Harper years before Resident Evil 6 was ever a thing. After that game came out, everybody thought I was a fan.

And yes I'm totally a hacker. I spam dat F1 key like nobody else. Watch me crank it watch me go.

Moving on.

Unfortunately when it comes to anything to do with any game or even in RL human nature is always human nature , people will find the best way to exploit a game and claim it to be either justified or not what they "intended" or " actually did" .

I have been on S2 and not changed server once since the TP came into effect , and the only time i ever did change server is because i may lose connection and then find the server i was on is now full , so i would go to the other one and play the game. What the OP has said does happen we all know it , clans do it and some even encourage it to "gear up" fast . Unless it is reported you wont stop it because there is no such thing as self policing .

:)