Server time: 2017-10-24, 09:38
Safe Zone: OPEN

Sign in to follow this  
SatansNightOut

Projection: Defined and How To Avoid It.

SatansNightOut    105

PROJECTION: DEFINED

And how to avoid it.

(Taken from toxiancity.com)

"In role play terms, Projection, or Projecting, is when one role player imposes their thoughts, informs of their previous actions, or otherwise passes along information in a manner that the second role player is unable to respond to.

For example: 'Jaco Guisse looks across the bar at the other male, thinking of how much he hated the man'.

Since you cannot read my thoughts, it is technically impossible for the other role player to pick up on what I'm thinking about, based purely off of what I posted, and reply back.

Why is this a bad thing?

There are many reasons as to why Projection should be avoided.

First and foremost, Projection can often lead to unnecessary drama. By 'thinking' about how much you hate someone else, or otherwise expressing ill-will towards another character in a non-verbal, non-physical manner you can upset the other role player OOCly, leading to bad blood between the two of you. However, not all Projection leads to drama.

Often times it leads to miscommunication.

One role player may project their thoughts about a previous encounter with another role player, which a third party could misinterpret as something verbal - meaning that private thoughts are now being passed around like wild fire. Lastly, it kills role play when one player projects something and leaves the other role player unable to respond.

Always leave your role play partners with something to reply to.

Like I mentioned, there are a handful of instances where Projection commonly, and often unintentionally, pops up. These situations may be when you are describing another character in a scene in a non-verbal manner, when you're trying to describe a scene in a post to help other role players catch up - but you are giving away information that the newcomer couldn't possibly come to know, or when you're trying to find a way to express your characters emotions.

Now, these are not the only instances where unintentional Projection may arise, but they are the most common ones.

There are some instances where you may accidentally Project when you are encountering, or describing, another role player.

By saying, 'Jaco Guisse spies the vampiress that, just the other day, he had fought tooth and nail in an alley way until he managed to escape her clutches,'

you are giving away information to all of the role players around you that is of no use to them. You aren't saying it, you aren't writing it down and passing it as a note, your character is just taking a stroll down memory lane - and stifling the role play of those around you.

Instead, you could get the same message across, but help encourage role play, by saying:

Jaco Guisse spots the vampiress as she arrives, leaning across the table to whisper to his companion, "There she is! She's the one that chased me down that alley the other night.. barely got away, had to fight for my life."

In this manner you are getting the same point across, but now others know what is going on, In-Character, and can respond as they have heard you explain the situation.

When you are trying to help new people entering a scene it isn't uncommon to try and post - setting the stage. But understand that you should only describe things that they would be able to immediately recognize with their five senses. An incorrect example would be: Jaco Guisse's eyes dart between his captive and his newly arrived friend. Chewing at his lip, the alley way smelled of blood and filth, the door to his right ajar - the room beyond where he had been captured and beaten. Beyond that, and up the flight of stairs: his captors lair.

While yes, it's great that you're trying to help the newcomer understand what is going on - and to an extent what has happened, the other character can't possibly know what lies beyond the door, let alone upstairs. Instead of Projecting this information, have your character explain the information in some manner that the other character will be able to comprehend what's going on. Describing the immediate area is great, and encouraged. But for all of the other information you should either speak, or wait until you are able to physically show these other areas to your role play partner.

Describing emotions and thoughts are, arguably, the most common thing role players accidentally Project. When a character hates another character, many of us immediately begin describing our hateful thoughts toward them. However the other role player cannot react to thoughts, so either you will be ignored, or OOC problems may arise from this simple mistake. Remember, our characters can only catch things they hear, see, smell, taste, or feel. Therefore you should emote things that invoke these senses.

Instead of thinking of how you hate someone, have your character verbally say it. Essentially, you're just going to put quotation marks (""'s) around your thoughts, thus turning them into spoken words. If you don't want to say it, then perhaps you glare instead of look, maybe your fists are clenched and shaking, maybe your character's complexion is turning red as the hate builds. You may go as far as to role play attacking, with a punch, slap, or kick, the other character. All of these are able to be responded to. You can hear the words, see the anger taking hold of the other character, or feel you as you make contact with them. These can all be responded to very easily. The same can go with any other emotion. If you're feeling amorous, perhaps your grinning like a fool and blushing. Is that a banana in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me? If you're sad you're most likely sobbing or wailing. Etcetera."

all content sourced from Toxian City.

This is just informative material.

Texas    0

This is extremely informative! I can appreciate the depth that you provided and it has taught me quite a few things. Thanks for the knowledge.

SatansNightOut    105

You're welcome---although I didn't write it. I borrowed it from a friend who wrote it. Figured it'd be nice to share here. :)

AytonHunter    0

This is a lovely little bit of advice! I always found this was a problem when I was text-rping, and like it was said in the piece, can cause some small metagaming issues.

I know, I'm usually using voice-chat, but sometimes text is essential for the showing of such emotions, as described in the final part of this!

SatansNightOut    105

This is a lovely little bit of advice! I always found this was a problem when I was text-rping, and like it was said in the piece, can cause some small metagaming issues.

I know, I'm usually using voice-chat, but sometimes text is essential for the showing of such emotions, as described in the final part of this!

The sad thing is that the community I borrowed this article of information from is full of horrible meta-gamers, power-gamers and all around awful RP. Surprising, considering such a profound section of advice is so useful and informative.

Dawn    0

I've actually never seen anyone doing this,

However, I do think that people that want to do this while being in-game should defiantly read your post.

Owen    16

Very informative and I learnt a few things myself whilst reading it.

SatansNightOut    105

However, I do think that people that want to do this while being in-game should defiantly read your post.

I don't see it quite often, either--not in DayZRP at least. But in other more text-based situations... yeah. ;P

Dawn    0

I don't see it quite often, either--not in DayZRP at least. But in other more text-based situations... yeah. ;P

I think the most I've ever seen in regards to this in DayzRP is something along the lines of "*Thinks about the situation*" or something similar to that. Never really gets much more detailed.

Sign in to follow this