Server time: 2017-08-23, 08:27

DayZ maintenance is in progress

Sign in to follow this  
BobitoZ

Free Medic's Field Manual (Peer Reviewed)

BobitoZ    0

Free Medic's Field Manual

by Dr. Robert Cambell

This guide aims help new medics as well as experienced members in the field. This may also serve others looking to survive with minimal conflict. Our goal is to keep everyone alive and healthy, so that they may live long enough to tell their grandchildren about the "Infection apocalypse." This will be a system of guidelines to help you make quick decisions.

Always remember however, that these are guidelines, not rules, an experienced medic will know when to bend or break these.

---

Passive Survival: These are some techniques to just keep you alive.

-Stay Alive: The most important person to keep alive is yourself. Always make sure that you are fully healthy and have enough supplies to keep yourself alive. If you die others will most likely die as well.

-Stay Stealthy: Do your best to remain hidden from the infected as well as large roaming groups or vehicles. Large groups of people and people in vehicles most likely do not need your help. They may be friendly but it's best not to take that chance. The more people in a group, the more things can go wrong.

-Gun fire: More often than not if someone is firing a non-silenced weapon in a city they are most likely firing at another person. Avoid such situations. When killing the infected, do it silently. Gun fire will attract both the infected and non-infected alike.

-Day/Night: Try to avoid large cities and airfields in the day. The infected are more active and it is easier for non-infected to spot you.

-Follow your instincts: If you get a "gut" feeling you should not be doing something don't do it. The unconscious part of your brain is probably telling you something that is not immediately apparent. If your Free Medic senses are tingling, duck.

---

Active Survival: As a Free Medic you have taken it upon yourself to actively serve the people in their survival. These are some techniques to keep you safe when putting yourself in compromising situations.

-Know The Map: Always know where you are going. Take a few minutes to plan out your destinations and rout. Familiarize yourself with how to find your location using a map, compass, and landmarks. If you are with another person and you know where you are and they don't, you have an advantage.

-Be Prepared: Before actively helping others you need to help yourself. Have plenty of food and water and ability to make a fire before trying to help others.

-Constant Movement: It is a good idea to always be going. Try not to stay in one place too long, the infected and non-infected will eventually see you. The exception to this is if you are actively trying to give aid.

-Don't become predictable: After a few days you may find yourself getting into a routine, avoid this. Thieves and Bandits thrive on routine.

-Be Aware: Always actively scan your surroundings. It is always best to see someone before they see you. This gives you time to set any encounters on your terms.

-Dead ends: Try to avoid places with only one exit. You can be easily overwhelmed by infected and non-infected alike. This includes the ends of piers, some houses, some barns, etc.

---

Spotting a Bandit: Here are some simple tips to determining if someone is a bandit or not. Remember these are not always true because some are more clever than the typical bandit.

1. The types of clothes they are wearing. Bandits work in groups usually and they tent to show that by their clothing. This is not always the case but a lot of the time it is.

2. The type of weapon they are using. Bandits prefer cheap high rate of fire weapons. The AK and RPK are typical for a bandit. If they are in a group the "indicator(s)" will usually have these, with the others having better weapons to back him/her up.

3. Their approach. Bandits don't immediately say hello or talk to you as soon as they see you. This is because they are either on the radio to their friends or are actively trying to gain a tactical/positional advantage.

4. Bandits will actively kill the infected. This is so they don't have to deal with them and you at the same time.

---

Driving: This is the culmination of everything. You have to be doing all the things listed above while going 100. Here are some tips specific to driving.

-Keep a jerry can on you when driving. Refueling is a very vulnerable time. Do everything you can to make it go as quickly as possible. Memorize some remote fueling stations. Privacy is your friend when refueling.

-Take back roads: People looking to ambush you or someone else is gambling that eventually someone will drive down the road they set a trap on. Don't drive down that road. They are not going to bet on a dirt road in the forest.

-Picking people up: Two extreme examples include. (a) Someone with no weapon running from the infected; (b) Someone standing in the middle of the road on the coast with an RPK. Person (a) is of no threat to you and will probably be forever grateful for picking them up. Person (b) probably has no intention of just asking for a ride.

---

Giving people a ride in TP: It is VERY important to remember it is your vehicle. You are in charge. Do not let others dictate to you when you are driving your vehicle.

-Get to know the person. If someone just runs up to you and starts asking for a ride there are probably other motives.

-They are oddly vague or very specific in where they want to go. Quotes like "Anywhere up north is fine," or "I need to get to the Church in (insert town)." Vagueness may indicate a robbery as soon as he has the chance. Very specific may indicate that it is an ambush of some type, (remember a church only has one exit).

-Ask these three questions to see what the response is: They may just lie but their reaction and answers may give you clues as to their intentions.

1. "Are you going to rob me?"

2. "Is this a set up?"

3. "//OOC: Are you currently streaming?"(under contention)

Bishop Tribble's addition:

1. If picking up someone from TP and giving a ride, leave a note or tell a fellow free medic where you are going and with whom.

2. Do not take anyone from TP with you unless they are willing to tell you their names and show some proof of identity.

3. Pray to Brian.

---

End Statement:

This is an ongoing manual and hopefully will be expanded as other techniques become refined. Again remember that these are guidelines to help you survive. Survival itself has no real rules. The best survivors learn to use what they have and adapt.

Stay safe

Othuyeg    20

Bishops addition:

1. If picking up someone from TP and giving a ride, leave a note or tell a fellow free medic where you are going and with whom.

2. Do not take anyone from TP with you unless they are willing to tell you their names and show some proof of identity.

3. Pray to Brian.

This is a really nice guide you wrote there, Bob.

In my opinion, the points Othuyeg mentioned in his comment should definately be added.

The guide itself is nicely structered and will be very helpful for newcomers and "oldies" with the now tough and soon even tougher zombies.

Well, Done! +1

Matt    21

Hehe survival guide when I was a medic I ran around like a mad man :)

But was a really cool little guide good job.

BobitoZ    0

Do any other doctors have anything to add or critique?

Once it is finalized I will ask for the board to publish.

Major Tom    78

As a bandit that runs up to people to say hi, I have to disagree with a few points on how to spot bandits. When BHM wants to rob someone we'll usually be talking with them in a nice friendly chat to lull them in to a false sense of security. The initiator will have a mid/close range weapon such as an M4A1 CCO. We tend to steer away from AK variants as they are weak (with the exception of the AKM).

Other than that, excellent and well thought out guide :)

BobitoZ    0

Well it seems that the reviews have favored the 1st. Ed. of the Free Medics Field Manual.

With it being accepted by my peers I would like for formally ask for this to be moved to the Tutorial Section for publication.

Guest Pandi   
Guest Pandi

Moved to Guides and Tutorials section. :)

Sondre123    0

Great guide man!

I will definitely take some of this into account the next time I play.

Guest ArcticStarling   
Guest ArcticStarling

"//OOC: Are you currently streaming?"

Really, are you willing to break character just to help find out if someone is a bandit going to rob you or not. This is unnecessary OOC, BadRP and metagame if you watch their stream to find out their plans.

BobitoZ    0

Really, are you willing to break character just to help find out if someone is a bandit going to rob you or not. This is unnecessary OOC, BadRP and metagame if you watch their stream to find out their plans.

You mistake the intent.

It's to prevent you from having to deal with OTHER'S BadRP and metagame

If the person says "yes I am streaming." I would not give him/her a ride. No discussion about it.

I'm not getting robed because other people want to pretend to be famous.

Guest ArcticStarling   
Guest ArcticStarling

You mistake the intent.

If the person says "yes I am streaming." I would not give him/her a ride. No discussion about it.

You're letting OOC actions determine your IC view of someone, the question is unnecessary, you cannot assume someone has BadRP if they stream, the stream usually encourages good RP as people are watching. Also , you say you are preventing metagaming, what metagaming are you preventing.

BobitoZ    0

You mistake the intent.

You're letting OOC actions determine your IC view of someone, the question is unnecessary, you cannot assume someone has BadRP if they stream, the stream usually encourages good RP as people are watching. Also , you say you are preventing metagaming, what metagaming are you preventing.

If you have ever watched a stream (not necessarily of DayZRP). People tend to stalk streamers. those stalkers are not going to give you good RP. They are already metagaming if they are playing and watching the steam at the same time.

I personally think it would be a courtesy for them to tell me, especially if they are asking for a ride.

But really it's a suggestion, you don't have to ask that if you feel it unnecessary or breaks immersion. The main point is you want to try know what you are getting into (at least try to, they may just lie).

Guest ArcticStarling   
Guest ArcticStarling

You mistake the intent.

If you have ever watched a stream (not necessarily of DayZRP). People tend to stalk streamers. those stalkers are not going to give you good RP. They are already metagaming if they are playing and watching the steam at the same time.

I personally think it would be a courtesy for them to tell me, especially if they are asking for a ride.

But really it's a suggestion, you don't have to ask that if you feel it unnecessary or breaks immersion. The main point is you want to try know what you are getting into (at least try to, they may just lie).

Still, it's completely unneeded, I could just imagine screaming "MAH IMMERSION" as soon as someone typed "btw are you streaming matey?" I'm chat. It should not be encouraged at all.

BobitoZ    0

snip

Still, it's completely unneeded, I could just imagine screaming "MAH IMMERSION" as soon as someone typed "btw are you streaming matey?" I'm chat. It should not be encouraged at all.

I think this discussion should probably be its own thread. If you feel this strongly about it I can omit it from the manual, as it is not that important. The guide is about helping yourself to stay alive, so you can keep others alive.

Maybe the "one shot, one kill" rule should be added, meaning that you dont waste more than one bullet on a zombie.

I might just expand upon that and make it its own section called "conservation"

Othuyeg    20

Maybe the "one shot, one kill" rule should be added, meaning that you dont waste more than one bullet on a zombie.

My machinegun says "meh"

KoNos    1

I must say that his is actually helping me a little bit with some things I didn't know before. I am sure it will help new people in the server. Good job :D

Sign in to follow this