Server time: 2017-08-16, 15:20

Sign in to follow this  
Guest ad3sa

Observations Regarding BadRP [Newcomer's Question / Discussion]

Guest ad3sa   
Guest ad3sa

So I've been browsing the forums the past couple of days. All sections of it really. From character profiles to events to clans to bans.

And I couldn't help but notice a couple of things that just rub me the wrong way right out the gate. So here goes.

I've read a few tickets concerning "badRP" and saw some people get suspended for varied amounts of time, for various reasons. One judgement especially however made me think.

The acting administrator stated the player doing the "badRP" didn't value his life, and someone would never do something like that in a real life situation.

(Now obviously I'm vague on purpose, because I'm not making this thread to point fingers.)

My question is this;

Who is anybody in this community to judge to what lengths a person would go in a scenario where infected walk the earth and humanity is pushed to its limits? How much they value their lives. The lives of others. So on.

People all come from different places, they have different values, morals, ways of viewing the world.

You can't look me in the eyes, with a straight face, and tell me you know someone's acting logically or not. Or that their actions don't have an ulterior motive that makes perfect sense, at least to them personally.

To me it looks like what is and what isn't "good RP" (Whatever the hell that is.) isn't very open for discussion in this community.

And I can honestly say this as objectively as possible, because I am not part of the community. (Yet.)

But some of the threads make me think if DayZRP is worth the time and effort to apply, devoute time into, or if it's just another elitist click.

Discuss!

Guest johnygt7   
Guest johnygt7

My question is this;

Who is anybody in this community to judge to what lengths a person would go in a scenario where infected walk the earth and humanity is pushed to its limits? How much they value their lives. The lives of others. So on.

People all come from different places, they have different values, morals, ways of viewing the world.

I do agree with you people have different values but you got to also keep in mind that there are certain rules that need to be followed.In the end of the day this is a game and not reality.

A good example of the No value for life rule:X person steals a car from 5 guys with great equipment.The guys react by killing him on the process.

At this point you have to question yourshelf:In real life, would you try to nick a car

out of 5 people with snipers/machineguns/grenades and other military grade equipment?

Most likely not.It's common sense.

From the other hand you might say that some people are different, and in a post apocalyptic scenario such as the zombie apocalypse might not care if they lose their lifes since they lost everything else, like their families but as said above this is a game.Without rules it would be a mess.

To answer your last question, dayzRP is not an elitist clique.I personally have alot of fun in the game and i never regretted applying.

It might look bad at you now, you might think that we are elitist or whatever you call it, but in my opinion if you play you will change your opinion!:D

I advice you to apply, play and then judge dayzRP.

To sum up: DayzRP is a great community and if you decide to apply you'll discover that yourshelf ;) .Good luck and have fun buddy :D

It really comes down to a simple answer: the staff. We judge based off a variety of factors what is and what is not 'bad RP'.

Would a normal person steal a vehicle while it is being guarded by 10 to 20 heavily armed and pissed off men? Would a person refuse certain orders if being held captive by 10 to 20 armed pissed off men?

You have to look at a rather broad spectrum to decide if it is or is not bad RP. Not everyone is trained to withstand torture. Not everyone is a super badass super soldier.

The world we play in is wide and varied and it's up to staff to decide if a rule was broken by someone's actions and RP.

Guest Whazmeister   
Guest Whazmeister

"It's all situational." - Toorrik, since forever :troll:

But yeah, there's reports about people doing crazy shit with no good explenation and reasoning at all, however, I think that even if there's a diedhard apocalypse going on where everything should be hard to get, you still don't do some of that crazy yolo shit that you see people getting reported for.

RolePlay is obviously very wide, but be carefull with what you do.

Tomeran    3

There's usually a fairly distinct line between what is acceptable and what is trolling. -Most- of the time.

That being said, I'd be inclined to agree that people have been pushing "no value for life" too much. "Bad RP", coupled with "novalue4lyfe", has frequently been used by groups or individuals that are simply pissed because A: A victim resisted in a firefight or B: Because said group lost the firefight and they're feeling sour about it. Fortunetly most of these examples are pretty easy to spot and we dont have a tendency to convict them. Not that we dont make mistakes, but im fairly convinced the cases are rather few.

"Bad RP" is to me a much more justified thing to "persecute" then "no value for life", because as you said people can do a lot of crazy things in the apocalypse and suicide shouldnt be completly ruled out. To my knowledge it was primarily added to prevent people going on one-man robbery sprees against settlements and such but now we have separate rules in place for that anyway.

Bad RP however IS a consistent problem that comes in many shapes and ways, but one could perhaps argue that its fitting to simply rebrand it "trolling", because that's where most of the convicted badRP cases end up in anyway.

And TROLLING, if anything, is a major problem on DayZRP. Most of the trolling cases we convict have no viable excuse, hiding behind an RP-reason when you're taking a dump on the road infront of people or spam the scream emote isnt really acceptable, and I think most people would be inclined to agree.

Guest whitepointer   
Guest whitepointer

In regards to your concerns, many of the cases arise from the individuals committing the acts of no value for life / badRP in situations of a hostile nature.

You might be under the mindset that we are unable to judge the main thoughts and motives going within your characters head, and yes that is true. However, when these reports and problems occur, it is -usually- due to specific circumstances.

There needs to be a line drawn somewhere along the line, or else chaos can break free.

In reality, many of the actions that are occurring are going against human nature as a whole.

For example,

Going in your captors backpack, withdrawing a gun and attempting to kill as many as you can whilst several guns are being pointed at your head.

Now this is when the BadRP/No Value reports surface, on top of the fact that it is bluntly unrealistic, it goes against what DayzRP is as a whole.

If you take a close look at the rules, what do you think they try to achieve?

I like to hope they try to achieve an environment for the community to play with safety and rules that help promote the continuous progression of substantial roleplay.

In relation to this, if we were to rule out the fact this wasn't badRP / no value for life (In regards to my example), all it would do is promote an environment of thrill and risk seeking.

To put it blunt, many of the cases come from individuals playing with their lives in situations that result in a high percentage of death. No real roleplay is gained from their actions, besides a quick thrill of killing one another and getting away with a free item.

Moxy    19

My question is this;

The whole community can discuss whether or not an incident was or was not considered Bad RP. This is why we have a mandatory report discussion thread where indents are discussed by members and staff alike before they are made into formal reports.

In most cases, the report can be discussed and solved before it goes formal, if it goes formal it will be up to the Staff who you can rest assured knowing they willl make the right decision.

You can't look me in the eyes, with a straight face, and tell me you know someone's acting logically or not. Or that their actions don't have an ulterior motive that makes perfect sense, at least to them personally.

To me it looks like what is and what isn't "good RP" (Whatever the hell that is.) isn't very open for discussion in this community.

That's why they are discussed by everyone. And yes, I can tell you with a straight face and tell you when people aren't acting logically. This you may not understand until you have played this server, but trust me you will see people that act completely illogically. From trolling, to abusing game mechanics, to simply not responding at all or going OOC constantly, there are NUMEROUS examples of bad RP.

This is why I made the thread [un-Official] RolePlay Feedback thread as to have a thread dedicated to critiquing others feedback. You see, you may think your RolePLay is fine, but if others are put off by it, it clearly is not. One cannot define their own RolePlay, that is for others to do. I'm hoping this thread will promote more open feedback to players RP and better the servers overall RP.

And I can honestly say this as objectively as possible, because I am not part of the community. (Yet.)

But some of the threads make me think if DayZRP is worth the time and effort to apply, devote time into, or if it's just another elitist click.

Wow. Well, there is only way to find out, and it's not by how much you read the forums; Instead it's by playing in game and seeing the community in character.

Guest JMS   
Guest JMS

Hmm there is a clear line and it's easy to see. For example a guy was stood in TP the other day standing next to people and saying "catch my sickness" or someone crab walking is also BadRP just think what would YOU do in the situation and then the answer becomes clear. Would you crab walk through a public place ?

FireMatt    1

Imo there is no justifiable way for a single person to take on a group of say, 10 armed individuals for something like a weapon, supplies, a car etc etc. It doesn't matter about your characters history, feats, trials, traumas, vendetta's or such.

Maybe we can't in reality. However DayZRP isn't a reality. It is a vast community of gamers that have come together over their enjoyment of the same thing. The community has rules that every member must follow. The rules we have in place would never happen in an apocalyptic scenario like DayZ, but we have these rules to stop our community from falling apart.

Back to the quoted part. A person could be insane, a bat shit crazy lunatic who has seen everyone they love killed and torn apart in front of them. Some people put in that situation might break, turn "feral", some might not. Others might live on with that burden forever ingrained into their minds until they die and others might be able to shrug it off and move on. There are limitless possibilities as to how a person would turn out in a situation like that. So many in fact, that to list them all would put one of Tomeran's threads to shame :)

At the end of the day it all comes down to your character and some OOC influence. Sure you might have a character that was a super secret special forces ninja who has 300 confirmed kills with a spoon and you might think IC'ly you can take on a group of ten armed men just for their car and beans. OOC'ly however it would be classed as no value for life as you went up against near impossible odds simply for something trivial and knowing that you can just respawn if you mess up your attempt.

and as Thumper said above, if someone is accused of No value for life then the staff team will review it and deem whether it's punishable or not.

Mr Bobby    0

For me the no value for life always comes down to the reason. If you just want to die so you can re spawn and get loot again and you don't RP then it is punishable (doing it for a non RP reason/OOC reason). But if you really want your character to breakdown and it is to make more interesting RP then its ok. What I would say is if your gonna RP like that don't make a definite decision that you are going to die. Maybe the robbers might talk you out of killing yourself e.t.c.

My advice is always RP it out. In the end that is the point of DayzRP.

Guest ad3sa   
Guest ad3sa

I can honestly say I'm not convinced.

I'm starting to think that some people on DayZRP, judging from this thread, are scared of anything and everyone outside of their community. It's like, you guys are Terminus and anyone not eating people is your dinner. As if, the internet was Mordor and your community were the Lands of the Free People.

Would stealing a gun out of my captor's backpack and trying to gun everybody down be unreasonable? Yes. It's common bloody sense, as some pointed out. I completely agree.

Would ME pulling MY gun out as I'm being held up, trying to shoot people pointing guns at me, only to most likely get gunned down be "badRP"? No. Would it inconvenience someone having to NLR? Most likely. Would it be reported as "badRP no value4lyfe" and would I get banned?

Once again, judging from replies left in this thread and solely them; very, VERY, likely. It all smells... fishy.

Prove me wrong though.

Moxy    19

I'm starting to think that some people on DayZRP, judging from this thread, are scared of anything and everyone outside of their community. It's like, you guys are Terminus and anyone not eating people is your dinner. As if, the internet was Mordor and your community were the Lands of the Free People.

Would stealing a gun out of my captor's backpack and trying to gun everybody down be unreasonable? Yes. It's common bloody sense, as some pointed out. I completely agree.

Would ME pulling MY gun out as I'm being held up, trying to shoot people pointing guns at me, only to most likely get gunned down be "badRP"? No. Would it inconvenience someone having to NLR? Most likely. Would it be reported as "badRP no value4lyfe" and would I get banned?

Once again, judging from replies left in this thread and solely them; very, VERY, likely. It all smells... fishy.

Prove me wrong though.

Did you even read the responses above? As I stated previously, you cannot judge the community and gray areas of rules from the forums alone.

There are plenty of times when someone being robbed uses an opportunity to try and slay those robbing them / their friends, just like some people would IRL.

It is a risk, and sometimes those people win or lose. I believe you are getting confused here, as I would if I only read the forums and not playd in game. Let me clear up that defending yourself does not mean 'Bad RP' or 'No Value for Life';

(Not NLR, that's new life rule, you misused this term)

The difference in this caries case by case. The situation you mentioned above may indeed have worked, and I can see that being perfectly fine and not 'Bad RP'. though that same scenario could have multiple examples. Let's look at some and see how they could be considered 'No value For Life' or not considered that.

Example 1: 2 or 3 men rob you, something distracts them, you take the opportunity to pull a gun out of their pack and kill them. This is a gamble but at least their is a chance you could survive and to your character in that situation he may have truly thought he could have made it out alive.

Example 2: There are 20 armed people who simply rob you. They are all watching you and you obviously cannot win the situation. Though you're really mad you lost your gear and feel as if you have nothing to lose so you try to kill them.

Obviously this would be 'No Value For Life'. You had no reason to throw your life away

Example 3: Say the same 20 armed men just murdered your 3 friends right in front of you and caused your character to lose all desire to live so in your complete mental breakdown you would rather die killing them then live without your loved ones. So trying to kill as many of them would make sense. ( This has a RP reason as you just witnessed your friends be executed in front of you )

I hope you can see how each situation is completely different.

The reason 'No value For Life' exists is so it promotes RolePlay. Playing as if you will re spawn instantly does not promote interaction between players, and instead promotes gunning people down. This is not what we are going for here. This is a roleplay server, anytime you can prevent killing someone is better than taking any excuse to kill another player.

If you cannot see this difference I am not sure this community is for you.

Rifleman    14

Prove me wrong though.

Having to agree with Moxy here - you can't judge our community considering you have not even tasted what the IG feel of DayZRP is like - reading reports and such is a good way to build context on the rules - what is and what isn't acceptable in our community - but it doesn't give you the IG insight.

We are not judging you for this thread - nobody is - it's just the discussions that people enjoy on the forums - based on both IG activities - like mini events, major events, the capturing of the Shogun, etc. etc. - and OOC events and real world politics and you get the picture.

Okay, now onto the BadRP, NV4L thing that you brought up - bear in mind that if a group of people would likely be an organised group (and thus share KoS rights between members) - You fighting a reasonable amount of guys (lets say two or three guys) is fine - but you fighting say TEN guys that are all watching you is just asking for a report if you were alone at the time - you would statistically loose 90% of the time in a fight 10 to 1 - and they would also likely have sniper cover from a nearby hill and could be better geared than you and all number of other things.

No Value for Life is based on a Case-by-case example - and the only reason it exists is to promote RP - and make your character WANT to live - playing as the scared, broken family man, pleading for his life in the middle of being robbed is MUCH better RP than the unbreakable badass kind of hostage.

I hope this cleared some of your questions up.

Guest ad3sa   
Guest ad3sa

I couldn't help but think of this;

Al Pacino bad RP;

Terra    1362

I couldn't help but think of this;

Al Pacino bad RP;

What do you want to say with this exactly?