Server time: 2017-10-18, 02:16
Safe Zone: CLOSED

Sign in to follow this  
Doc

Bad Version/Launcher Is Deemed Dangerous By Norton

Question

Doc    3

Before I continue on with this thread, I would just like to say that I'm attempting to "kill two birds with one stone". Recently, I've been having these problems and it has not allowed me to play. I have consulted Leon about this, but what I tried didn't seem to work!

Question/Problem: As of most recently (Yesterday), I have tried downloading the DayZRP launcher from the link on the DayZRP site. Before I shall continue, I should note that I had no problems with the download up until this point. Anyways, I began downloading and when I am asked to hit "Run" to continue the download, Norton rejects the download and the files themselves. At first Norton gave me the excuse that the files were high risk and contained a virus; virus was something like ".cloud9". I then tried to allow the files to continue downloading, but I wasn't given an option. Once I tried downloading the files again, Norton no longer gave me the virus name or even stated what was wrong with the files, and just stated that the files were "bad" and had been removed. Those were the first problems... let me continue.

Ok, second problem, which I'm sure moderators know all too well! The Bad Version, Server Rejected crisis. Anyways, I've been having this problem after I downloaded the Arma 2: OA patch from DayZ Commander in an attempt to find another way to join DayZRP. If someone could WALK ME THROUGH IN DETAIL, of how to access the Arma 2: OA with a Windows 7, that'd be great! Thanks!

Is the problem on the Mod or Standalone: The Mod/Launcher.

Does this problem occur on other public DayZ/ArmA/SA servers as well: No.

How long have you had this problem: Since yesterday.

What have you done to fix this already: I tried asking a moderator for assistance, which he provided, but when I tried, the second problem mentioned happened.

19 answers to this question

Doc    3

Follow some of the solutions in this thread.

Its funny, that was the first thread I read before deciding to make this thread. My only problem still is the direction to the Ara2: OA directory. I know you have to go into steam folders, but how do I find them? Whenever I punch in the navigation code such as the one you provided in the thread you linked, It isn't found.

Thanks gain for the help!

I do not have ArmA in steam but if you want a directory for it, it should be something like this: Steam> Steamapps> Common> ArmA?

Jamesy    0

Okay, so you did it through Commander. Which, doesn't always work. So:

> Go to your ArmA2:OA directory. Which is:

- C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\arma 2 operation arrowhead\

> Navigate to the folder called expansions

> Move or delete the folder named, 'beta'

> Go here and click on the ArmA2:OA Beta patch link. (Last link)

> Open up the file after download

> Launch the .exe file in there

> Let the .exe run and do it's thing

> Then play

Doc    3

Ok thank you all for the help. I would like to keep this open for a little bit until I can attempt to fix the problem with knowledge given by all of you. However, I would still like some help or discussion about why Norton had removed the launcher files and will not let me download them. Also, the virus is another item of this thread we should concern.

Hatch    0

Try downloading the files through a different up-loader. Which one do you use to download the files?

Doc    3

Try downloading the files through a different up-loader. Which one do you use to download the files?

I get the launcher files from the DayZRP site itself, is there another place to get them?

Hatch    0

I get the launcher files from the DayZRP site itself, is there another place to get them?

I meant try one of the other options:

b3234218fd.png

I downloaded from a certain option before and I had the same problem, I then downloaded from another one and it worked. IF none of them work then just try a manual install.

Doc    3

I meant try one of the other options:

b3234218fd.png

I downloaded from a certain option before and I had the same problem, I then downloaded from another one and it worked. IF none of them work then just try a manual install.

Oh, I'm a little confused. I usually use the Google download every time a new version of DayZRP is released. I was talking about the Launcher itself found on the launcher download thread. It only gives two option; one for older systems, and one for newer systems. I am try to concern you and the other staff members that there may be a potential virus attached to the files.

Hatch    0

Oh, I'm a little confused. I usually use the Google download every time a new version of DayZRP is released. I was talking about the Launcher itself found on the launcher download thread. It only gives two option; one for older systems, and one for newer systems. I am try to concern you and the other staff members that there may be a potential virus attached to the files.

If you feel there is a problem, don't use the launcher and do a manual install then join the servers via the server browser. I've never had a problem with the launcher and no virus' popped up. Norton is saying it is a "Virus" because the .exe is untrusted but that is nothing to worry about - I also have Norton and I do not have this problem

Just to be sure, I did a quick download and:

07acef557b.png

Doc    3

If you feel there is a problem, don't use the launcher and do a manual install then join the servers via the server browser. I've never had a problem with the launcher and no virus' popped up. Norton is saying it is a "Virus" because the .exe is untrusted but that is nothing to worry about - I also have Norton and I do not have this problem

Just to be sure, I did a quick download and:

07acef557b.png

Ok. Thanks for the clarification. I have no idea why at first it stated there was a virus? Norton actually gave me a virus name, but id not remember what it was called exactly.

penultimate    0

Norton is a confusing anti virus software, personally I would remove it and install another if you are not sure what to use, I can recommend Avast which is free and reliable if you want to keep Norton but it continuous to be the problem just enable the download from the Norton settings.

Doc    3

Ok. I got the game to work thanks all. My only concern is that when downloading the beta patch from dayz commander, it said I had a wrong CD key?

Mush    2

Ok. I got the game to work thanks all. My only concern is that when downloading the beta patch from dayz commander, it said I had a wrong CD key?

Could you send us a screenshot of this warning, please?

Doc    3

Sure thing! Just tell me how to take a screenshot via Windows 7.

I know, I'm pathetic at the internet...

Mush    2

You could download Puush. There is a guide here, just ignore the part about music.

Doc    3

You could download Puush. There is a guide here, just ignore the part about music.

Hey, listen, Ill get the screenshot in as soon as I can. I have to go to work and will be busy most of the week. If I forget just PM about the subject and ill snap to! Thanks again for the help!

Doc    3

I know its been a few days since I last posted on this. Before I left, I stated that when using DayZ Commander to download the patch it would say I had the wrong CD key, but download anyway. It no longer gives me this message and everything besides the launcher problem has been solved.

Could someone please mark this as closed, I'd appreciate it!

Alyd    4

Great, marking as solved.

Solution: To recap;

• Norton thought the launcher was dangerous, but it was a false positive and is not malicious.
  • The "Wrong CD key" error is common and has been a bug for quite some time, simply disregard this notification.