Server time: 2017-08-20, 04:17

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Phalix

Playing a deaf Character?

Question

Guest Phalix   
Guest Phalix

If I play a deaf alt character, and turn my VON/EFFECTS all the way down, would that be an issue?

Will it mess up other people's RP?

Is it even allowed?

22 answers to this question

Mush    2

I wouldn't recommend doing it at all. Numerous problems could occur; initiations being one. To play a deaf character, you don't have to have your volumes turned down, and I wouldn't do it, simple as that.

It's allowed, nothing saying you can't, but it's stupid to as you put yourself at a disadvantage.

Guest whitepointer   
Guest whitepointer

Like stated above, if you were going to continue in the role, you would need to do one thing.

That one thing would be to use -many- emotes, I mean, I very large amount. If you do not, all you'll come across as is an arrogant 'player' who doesn't want to respond.

You'd have to pull the emotes off extremely well to convey that you're a deaf man, and even if you do, it will probably be hard finding individuals who will be willing to roleplay with you. To put it simple, it's hard to roleplay with a man who can't understand you, it would be very difficult.

All in all, I wouldn't recommend following this path of a character as in such a game as Arma 2 and DayzRP where the need to hear others is of an upmost of importance.

tnkydoe    14

I wouldn't see a problem with it if you played a completely passive character like a FM. If you have no intentions of using KOS rights there shouldn't be a problem. However you would have to find a way to let your initiators know, and most people dont know sign language.

Mush    2

Another thing, if you're deaf you usually can't speak as others can. So, you'd have to use sign... I don't know how that;d work in-game either.

It's more trouble that it's worth in my opinion, initiations and what not could be troublesome and you may come across as arrogant and bad roleplayer as Whitepointer said.

enar21    1

I don't think a deaf character would work, sorry.

Rather play as a blind character.

I play a blind character and it seems to go alright, even most of the bandit groups want to help me which is a plus. I think a character with a weakness as strong as mine increases RP but I don't know if the same would go if you're playing a deaf man. Maybe you could be semi-deaf and people would have to speak a little louder to you? Other then that, I don't know. Being fully deaf wouldn't be something I would be interested in roleplaying as or with.

Guest whitepointer   
Guest whitepointer

I'd like to add, not all deaf people are limited to sign language only. In some of the cases, many individuals have been able to remember how to speak and learn some what. Keep in account, it can be very slurred and rough around the edges, use that to your advantage to further your characters realism.

With that said, I would take that into account with your character and stick with some select words that you're able to say to people.

If you do that, it might be easier to convey to people that you're infact deaf.

Guest Phalix   
Guest Phalix

...it's stupid to as you put yourself at a disadvantage.

Exactly, It's a handicap, a disadvantage.

Guest whitepointer   
Guest whitepointer

I play a blind character and it seems to go alright, even most of the bandit groups want to help me which is a plus. I think a character with a weakness as strong as mine increases RP but I don't know if the same would go if you're playing a deaf man. Maybe you could be semi-deaf and people would have to speak a little louder to you? Other then that, I don't know. Being fully deaf wouldn't be something I would be interested in roleplaying as or with.

How does a blind character work?

I could only see it working if you had a full time carer walking around with you 24/7, but not much else.

Although they are still able to remember places and walk with no trouble, how do you explain / roleplay out the situations of you running from place to place, looting here and there whilst constantly being blind?

When new places are added like the TP, how on earth would a completely blind individual make it's way to a select section of the 'map' whilst making their way past towns of infected?

I don't know, just seems unrealistic to me. Playing a deaf individual sounds (pun) much more realistic and able to work in the situation of an apocalypse.

Oh well, just wondering how you pull it off really.

How does a blind character work?

I could only see it working if you had a full time carer walking around with you 24/7, but not much else.

Although they are still able to remember places and walk with no trouble, how do you explain / roleplay out the situations of you running from place to place, looting here and there whilst constantly being blind?

When new places are added like the TP, how on earth would a completely blind individual make it's way to a select section of the 'map' whilst making their way past towns of infected?

I don't know, just seems unrealistic to me. Playing a deaf individual sounds (pun) much more realistic and able to work in the situation of an apocalypse.

Oh well, just wondering how you pull it off really.

I've only been playing him for 4-5 days and so far I've been lucky enough with not having to travel far without getting help from someone. I'd give you a summary of my first few days on this character and you'd understand why I can't answer those questions as of yet.

I spawned in Electro or Cherno, I can't remember and instantly I was found by BHM who helped me and gave me a lift to Trade Post. I've stayed in Trade Post for days. CBR, B-17, FALLEN and others have all helped me with getting around the place, donating food/water/medical and also providing me with great RP. Couldn't have been happier with the start of it.

As for how I get around to make everything believable, I count paces from certain areas, I 'emote' bumping into walls, feeling around and I've slowly put together an IC mind map of all main areas I need to go within Trade Post. CBR made me a walking cane and I'm getting used to it.

Feedback so far is that people find it interesting and a change in the generic 'military background' player. It's quite fun. :D

Guest Phalix   
Guest Phalix

My character will be an ex CDF who lost his hearing(gunshots) and was discharged because of his disability.

He'll have a friend or a brother convert what people are saying to sign language.

Guest whitepointer   
Guest whitepointer

-snip-

-snip-

-story time-

Oh nice, sounds interesting.

I hope to meet you in-game soon enough to see it for myself :D

Reacher    0

The only advantage I see is that you can ignore people initiating on you from range. I highly doubt you can ignore footsteps approaching from your flank, however.

It would come down to you lowering all sound on ArmA, so...

Chappy    7

It would be cool but would come with a lot of problems. Like Reacher said people initiating on you they might just think your not complying if you try to walk away and therefore kill you.

But I guess its up to you man, Maybe try it out and see how it goes but if it was me I wouldn't try it as it would just cause to many problems in my opinion.

Sorry if this didn't help you in anyway just though I'd post my opinion.

Samaritan    251

An interesting concept which you will have to portrait convincingly or people may become frustrated. I think you would need to do some research before starting with this character. (I'm sure you already have).

Have you thought that your character could lip read? So anyone interacting with you would have to stand in front of you for you to 'see' there lips move. You could occasionally get it wrong etc. This could make things easier than just using sign language. When you lose a sense, all other senses become heightened so it could work.

An friend or helper could work but they would have to come on line at the same time as you, stay with you which could become a little stale for them if they wish to do something else.

It might be an idea to discuss it with someone who as already made a deaf character, I'm sure someone already has in the past. They could tell you about any issues they encounted etc.

Guest Phalix   
Guest Phalix

What if I never have a weapon. I can act confused and scared. I mean, he will be able to speak(he wasn't born deaf)

Guest TehGreekGamer   
Guest TehGreekGamer

Maybe you can RP that you read other peoples lips while they are talking.

Mush    2

I'm going to solve this as you have a wide variety of different opinions here.

If it was me, I'd keep my VON/Effects on, because of certain things such as initiations and other potential dangerous things.

Just because it's on, doesn't mean you have to act like it is. Pretend it isn't.

Tyrone (Harvie) is a blind chracter, he plays it pretty well. Best of luck.

/solved.

Meister    0

Going to open this up again as I've been thinking of playing a deaf character and want some feedback on it. I'd keep my VON/effects on as most deaf people are able to feel vibrations from loud noises like gun shots. As for getting initiated on I was thinking maybe roleplaying having that feeling that someone's following you. You turn and see someone pointing a gun at you (I don't plan to be armed and if I am it will be on my back). I'd just drop my gun in fear and from there I would be able to lip read. I'm debating my response to either be something like "taps ears and shakes head" or talking like a deaf person does. My background would be that I grew up learning sign language but I had a friend who taught me to make words.

Maybe in SA carry pen and paper to write to people?

Guest Phalix   
Guest Phalix

Going to open this up again as I've been thinking of playing a deaf character and want some feedback on it. I'd keep my VON/effects on as most deaf people are able to feel vibrations from loud noises like gun shots. As for getting initiated on I was thinking maybe roleplaying having that feeling that someone's following you. You turn and see someone pointing a gun at you (I don't plan to be armed and if I am it will be on my back). I'd just drop my gun in fear and from there I would be able to lip read. I'm debating my response to either be something like "taps ears and shakes head" or talking like a deaf person does. My background would be that I grew up learning sign language but I had a friend who taught me to make words.

Maybe in SA carry pen and paper to write to people?

Pen and paper would be great, as people did that in mod, but now you can actually do it.

Pen and paper would be the easiest form of communication IMO. Maybe have a friend who does "sign language" to you for RP reasons

Sin    114

Turning around when someone initiates is often interpreted as non-compliance to commands and can get you shot. Just FYI.

Beast7Gamer    0

I have made a deaf character before and really the only thing that was kinda frustrating(because of rp reasons) I couldnt actually tell people things like "Hey I found a can of beans, want it?" or "hey im heading to starry too can I tag along?" so it does come with lots of disadvantages.

I did find a person though that actually stayed with me and even though we didnt talk at all we both used emotes like "taps your shoulder and makes lets go gesture" or "raises palm to stop" I did have all my sounds on only for the reason of initiations though so that people didnt think I didnt comply and shoot me. So really if you plan to play deaf you gotta think:

Am I fully deaf? if yes then you cant understand anything and cant respond to any sound at all

Can I read lips? if yes then you can understand people but not always accurately, also you need to be able to see their lips.

How fast can I type? if you type slowly then emotes are gonna be very time consuming as they are needed extensively and usually need to be there on time, not late.

So out my experience you need to be pretty skilled to play a convincing deaf person, but you also cant play it perfectly like one ever because of RP reasons such as initiations. In a way I would like to see a deaf person as I think(for me at least) it would be an interesting RP interaction. If you do decide to play deaf and all my best to you and good luck.