Server time: 2017-10-20, 05:21
Safe Zone: CLOSING SOON

Sign in to follow this  
Barbie

For the non-combatants

Barbie    0

As I sit here waiting to get white-listed I got to thinking. I have no interest in joining in and trying to find a clan that is centered around either banditry or heroism. I want to specifically play a character that is a civilian just trying to survive and hold on to what is left of civilization by any means he can muster.

I was wondering, what do the other pure civilians out there like to do and how do their role plays go? Also, how often do you get robbed or taken hostage?

Follow up question: how do you civilians usually deal with encounters in which the other characters are being hostile?

Rick    19

Coming from a semi-bandit perspective, most of the time clans will leave civs alone unless they have a reason (either you pissed them off or you have something they want). If your smart about how you travel, you can avoid being captured usually, as long as you don't have people hunting you.

Barbie    0

Coming from a semi-bandit perspective, most of the time clans will leave civs alone unless they have a reason (either you pissed them off or you have something they want). If your smart about how you travel, you can avoid being captured usually, as long as you don't have people hunting you.

I'll hold you to that when I see you out in the fields ;-)

Whitefur    4

You don't get robbed as much as it seems suprisingly. I have only been robbed about 15 times through the 5+ months I have been here, Also not all civs and groups are bandits. Zekial Has never robbed anyone for at least 3.5 months. Notable hero groups would be TOR, TFW (although they do rob bandits), LK (No bias), FM (The #1 Heros out there), and possibly Legacy.

Oh and there are some nice Somalian fisherman :troll:

Major Tom    88

I'm usually the one aiming the gun so I'll give my perspective.

If you don't want to get robbed, don't be a dick. Usually when my group comes across a civ we'll leave them alone or maybe help them if they're nice guys. If they're silent or reluctant then we usually just ignore them and leave. However, if they're a total asshole then chances are we'll rob them or something similar just to teach them a little lesson.

If you come across any large groups, most won't rob you by default other than maybe SDS. Avoid being rude to groups and chances are they'll leave you be. Only exception would be if you have lovely gear and you come across a particularly loot depraved group with greedy eyes.

In short, be nice to people and don't carry a DMR around in the open.

Barbie    0

At least it looks like I won't have to worry too much about the BHM.

I was wondering, what do the other pure civilians out there like to do and how do their role plays go? Also, how often do you get robbed or taken hostage?

Pure civilians tend to do what any survivor would due in any zombie apocalypse scenario. What they do exactly, is up to the individual character. This crowd, usually, has some of the best RP on the server.

They usually set a goal for themselves, it might mean something the character is focused on (EX: Character actively searches for missing sister), or something as simple as getting water/food at cities, alone, this usually creates a great atmosphere for the player, as you never know what could happen.

How often you get robbed is all your street smart really, don't run up to crowds of heavily armed men expecting help like any other survivor would.

Follow up question: how do you civilians usually deal with encounters in which the other characters are being hostile?

A lone civilian would try and find a way to get out of there, or fight back depending if it's just one guy. (Again, this depends heavily on your character background.) I will say that nobody in there right mind alone would fight off 10 angry armed men though, unless your character is high or something.

Barbie    0

I'm not asking in relation to trying to figure out what I am going to do. Instead, I am just interested to hear what people have done in the past or are doing at the present time. Just think of it as story time with the civilians.

Hex    31

Well, from my experience as a DayZ player and a DayZRP player ( Yes, they are very different ) if you want to avoid being robbed then you should probably....

-Avoid massive groups ( 5+ ) while out in the world

-Avoid having anything fantastic ( No crazy weapons/backpacks/ghilie, ect. )

-Be nice and friendly

-Make friends with everyone, but ally with no one. Being friends with people lets you be close, but once your an ally they will want you to get in on their affairs with other groups, and you will quickly find yourself taking sides and becoming enemies with certain groups.

runewr    1

In short, be nice to people and don't carry a DMR around in the open.

ehem, please carry a DMR in the open when you see BHM, or donate it to us. Its for a great cause :D

Burgz    6

Don't avoid RP is another thing. If you see a large group of people, then by all means stay hidden and in the shadows to prevent being robbed etc. But if they have seen you, don't try to run. When we see people running away avoiding role play with us, its actually a major factor in whether or not we rob the person.

From our perspective, you could be an enemy trying to escape or just the bare fact that you didn't want to rp usually does it. So, stay hidden but if you're spotted...don't run.

Guest Icy   
Guest Icy

I've done everything IG, I've been fully bandit, a hero, a mix of both, but I gotta say, my favourite time was with my character that was my "IRL me" one. It was my main's brother, and I tried to make him as realistic as I could. I tried to act as I'd act IRL in his postition. E.g. almost non-existent gun usage. I was running around with a crosbow, and a CZ in my bag, that RP wise use to be my brother's hunting rifle and I was trying to find him and deliver it. I almost never attacked a man. I got robbed for almost nothing multiple times and I could retaliate, but I never went after my robbers, ecxept from one time. I shot only once, it was a group that never RP'd with me, pretty much "drop guns, your gear is shit, bye". As soon as they started leaving I got my CZ and shot 'em down. Other than that, I always RP'd a scared man, and talked my way out of most robberies, and kept some of my gear. Most of the times I even ran up to groups, knowing I'll probably get robbed, just for the RP they'll offer.

I had lots of fun with that character, and lots of actual RP as I was harmless and people let their guard down and enjoyed some RP instead of looking for PVP. I even made a small camp just next to Stary, with fires and flares, to make sure people will see it, I had lots of visitors and lots of fun :D

My advice is: if you go for a character that doesn't want to attack others etc, accept the fact you'll lose lots of stuff in roberies. Don't care about your gear and focus on the RP. Most of the times, it's worth it! And don't be afraid to make friends in your travels. Some may betray you and rob you down the road, but there always gonna be a bunch of awesome RPers giving you the best experience you could ask for!

Moxy    19

As I sit here waiting to get white-listed I got to thinking. I have no interest in joining in and trying to find a clan that is centered around either banditry or heroism. I want to specifically play a character that is a civilian just trying to survive and hold on to what is left of civilization by any means he can muster.

First off, welcome to the community. Just from you taking the initiative to learn about the server and your role in it before even being accepted shows that you are a mature person and will be a welcomed member of the server, I think.

Right, to answer your question let me first say that I have been on all sides thus far. I started as a "civilian" who was completely new to RP entirely who later joined several "bandit" clans, then ended up in a "hero" clan.

I gave you this info just to show where my experience has came from.

I want to specifically play a character that is a civilian just trying to survive and hold on to what is left of civilization by any means he can muster.

This is a welcomed sight to see. In a proper 'apocalyptic' setting there would be loads of survivors who have been making it on their own. I personally think their cannot be enough 'civilians' as you call them because they add to the realism and take away from the clan warfare that dominates the server.

I was wondering' date=' what do the other pure civilians out there like to do and how do their role plays go? Also, how often do you get robbed or taken hostage?[/quote']

[Finally answering your question] During my time as a civilian when I first joined I played very cautiously. I tried my best to stay alive in all situations. Since I was not allied to a clan which had motives and enemies, I was able to RP out of most situations involving other people with in turn made my experience better I believe. To be honest, I think civilians have the opportunity to offer the best RP on the server because they are generally not in teamSpeak with anyone else which forces them to talk In Character and in game the whole time versus talking in Team Speak and ignoring those in game either intentionally or not. As far as what you like to do, you will find just staying hydrated, food supplies up, and general looting to keep you busy. To add to things, while trying to accomplish those basic goals you will run into others. As a 'civilian' you should look forward to these encounters. This leads to your second question, if you have good gear, people will want it. It's innevitable that it will get taken from you, or you will die somehow and lose it though so please, do not get attached to any siad gun / gear. It's my #1 advise for this mod, DO NOT get attached to your gear. This will not only make the game more enjoyable, but will increase your value for life during robberies.

Again, if your rolling alone, don't carry high value things and not expect to get robbed. It's a constant threat in these lands. I'd suggest a simple AK / AKM or hunting rifle which would fit with a 'civilians' lore better anyhow.

-Side note, if you play a local civilian from Chernarussia, many groups will protect you. Something to consider if you don't mind trying a Russian accent ;]

I believe I answered this in the previous question but I'll summarize; They give in. Seriously, you will more than likely always be outnumbered and out gunned. Your gear is not worth your life. If 5 armed guys initiate on you and you open fire on them and die, you show no value for your life (which is re-portable and possible can get you in trouble)

So, instead just carry things you don't mind handing over if such a force approaches you. Though, the second best advice I can give besides do not care for your gear is ROLEPLAY.

Thread dedicated to making survivors RP better

you would not believe the amount of people who, while getting robbed, get mad and simply won't talk to the people robbing them. They (the people being robbed) will just sit there, or not say anything, this not only is bad roleplay but makes the person robbing you have no personal connection or care what happens to you. So, if you can, please talk to the person who is robbing you, maybe ask why they need it? Ask them anything, try to trick them and get out of the situation, ANYTHING, but whatever you do don't just sit there and say nothing.

Tl;dr: #1 Don't get attached to gear, #2 Roleplay.

Othuyeg    20

Honestly, I can tell you that if you are alone most of the time what happens between you and another clan is dependant on who from the clan are interacting with you. There are massive differences between people within each clan and those can be seen ingame. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Thumper    0

Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Meh, I'll be doing the burning myself, thank you. :D