Server time: 2017-10-23, 06:00
Safe Zone: CLOSED

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Shadow

Suggestion: "Cool down period" for reports.

Guest Shadow   
Guest Shadow

So lately I have been keeping a watchful eye on reports. As such I have noticed there is a quite a large quantity (roughly 40%) of reports that are posted yet closed within a few posts because the OP has "Cooled off" and realised their report was simply exaggerated and obviously posted out of anger/disappointment of either being robbed or killed.

Suggestion:

I suggest that a minimum time of 30 minutes becomes required for someone wanting to post a report to wait before even posting a report.

For example:

A person gets killed in a fire fight with an enemy group. The entirety of the "friendly" force gets wiped out within a minute of a hostile action being initiated.

Immediately the friendlies who were killed are angry, their pissed off, they didn't even get a chance to fight back and now they have lost all of their gear (which is held way too high in regard for a RP server) and the hostile group didn't even take one single casualty.

Now the friendly group is upset and they want revenge. They cant go back to the fight (NLR) so what else can they do? Why report the enemies for whatever story they can come up with of course.

DISCLAIMER: I do not believe the above statement it is just what I believe a LOT of people believe and do in this community.

DISCLAIMER: The "30 minutes" is merely an example I have chosen to use. It would ultimately be up to the staff to choose what time would be required. I believe 24 hours would be a perfect time limit however that is (again) just a suggestion.

This is the stage where I believe a report should not be allowed to be posted until a MINIMUM of 30 minutes after the last hostile action was incurred. (30 minutes after the last friendly is killed or escapes the "fire fight zone")

What do you all think?

I will also make a poll if enough comments feel it is necessary.

EDIT (Please note): So a comment has been made by several people that I feel I should add my answer to in this OP.

This question is: What if the person forgets vital information about the event?

My answer: Why not just write it down somewhere else such as a word document, PM drafts, etc? (There is literally dozens of places to write down something).

Burgz    6

Was this suggested before? I swear it was, it could be useful but people that make the reports are punished if they go formal wrongly anyway. If you wait the 30 minutes you could also forget some of the details that would be important. It's late cut me some slack.

I suppose it's a plus 1?

Doc    3

Agreed, however, more people should talk it out in TS before proceeding to make a report. Still, people will always get angry. Control and patience rules the day!

Seems reasonable to me. And with regards to people forgetting details, ideally you'll have a video and this wouldn't stop you from writing the report, you would just have to wait 30 minutes to post it.

SatansNightOut    105

*RAGES*

Edit: Okay, it's been 30 minutes. I totally agree.

tnkydoe    14

There would be no way to monitor it? Also I usually check reports 15 or so minutes after a firefight to make sure everything was ok. If people are forced 30 minutes I might miss the report possibly leading to a unnecessary formal.

No report is a useless one.

If a report is made, the OP is seaking information, what he decides to do with that information is up to him( Go formal or close)

Rick    19

snip

Agreed. Yes, when people make reports at the time, they may be slightly angry, but that doesn't take away the need to post it. You should be able to keep a cool enough head to discuss something on a report thread, and considering hardly any reports go formal within an hour, it gives people time to think about what they want to do, and cool down. Plus, as stated above, it helps to know the information regarding the incident sooner then later.

Toorrik    4

*RAGES*

Edit: Okay, it's been 30 minutes. I totally agree.

huehuehue.

In our super secret staff forums, I suggested a 12-24 hour Period before going formal regardless if people haven't posted or not. This sort of does the same thing as what you are suggesting here as it allows people to calm down before taking a very hasty and rash decision and making it formal minutes after a discussion has been posted.

Soon?

Samaritan    349

I'm guilty of it too. I posted a report discussion and 5mins later we talked on TS and I dropped it.

A cool down of 30mins is a very good idea.

Guest Shadow   
Guest Shadow

-snippidy-

I agree completely. However people think the only way to get information is to make a report which is simply not the case. You do not have to make a report to have a discussion on TS. Making a report to "just get opinions" is in my opinion unnecessary. Ask around with your friends or friendlies involved in the incident.

And the only way I see to control it is to monitor hit and chat logs in game.

Perhaps we could make this a required statement: Did you wait X amount of time to report this?

Then they can still choose to report it straight away or not. The entire point of my suggestion is for people to stop letting emotions get people ban hungry and start reporting real issues.

Guest whitepointer   
Guest whitepointer

However people think the only way to get information is to make a report which is simply not the case. You do not have to make a report to have a discussion on TS. Making a report to "just get opinions" is in my opinion unnecessary. Ask around with your friends or friendlies involved in the incident.

It's never unnecessary to discuss.

You state that you can always have a discussion on teamspeak, yes.

However, the report discussions are so useful and are very important in my mind, as it allows the community as a whole to gain some involvement in the situation to help clarify and put forward useful information.

With the report discussion, instead of an exclusive experience between side 'X' and side 'Y', there becomes a whole added point of view on the matter.

With that, many who read up on reports, are able to gain a better understanding of the rules and situations that can arise.

Then they can still choose to report it straight away or not. The entire point of my suggestion is for people to stop letting emotions get people ban hungry and start reporting real issues.

I do not think anyone is 'ban hungry'. Although some reports may look pity, if they request it to be formal and it becomes a verdict where the reported gains a punishment, then it's for a valid reason.

Plain and simple.

You have to remember, people have the right to ban anyone who break the rules of the server, no matter how small or big the rule break is. If they are becoming ban hungry and reporting for no reason, then they'll receive a false report ban or it will be closed.

All in all, I can see where you're coming from. However, if it required people to discuss in exclusive manners, I highly disagree.

Mikachu    26

As Toorik said really, his suggestion has been met with only positivity so I guess expect some changes kinda soon?

Diggy    0

I think a timer of 24 hours to go formal regardless of the offender's PoV is better than a 30min cool down. Like said above, some details may be forgotten. I can even see some situations needing to be immediately reported, and a cool down would hinder that. I think this 24 hour period would allow the OP to consider the PoV of the accused better, but it could also make the report process go by much slower.

Truthfully I think the benefits and downfalls are about the same, so not sure if I would like to see this.

Guest JMS   
Guest JMS

I would say waiting to post a report you may forget crucial information that would help the report move along maybe ? However it's only 30 minutes so maybe not in this case.

So I'll go ahead and and give it my +1

Snow    1

There aren't really any disadvantages to this, I doubt that if the incident was bad enough to result in a formal report, you would forget any neccecary information. Might as well really, +1

DISCLAIMER: I do not believe the above statement it is just what I believe a LOT of people do in this community.

So you do believe it?

In regards to the idea, I disagree. I do not think this is necessary in the slightest. If it is a blatantly false report then that will be found out eventually and they will be reprimanded. Reporting out of spite is very frowned upon and is dealt with harshly to discourage people.

I also think the attitude you mentioned for a few are quite narrow minded. Perhaps instead of being so pessimistic and focusing on your side you could perhaps try and see it from their point of view (depending on the circumstances)? Is there a link to this report?

People should take a break when they rage. If there is still bad feelings based on a rule break or poor Role Play then they can make a discussion. Personally, if something happens I always think long and hard about what happened. Others should too.

Overall, I feel a forced 30 minute reporting timer like you suggested will do nothing. If they are doing it out of spite, there is nothing stopping them doing it 30 minutes later or a day later.

Vector    0

DISCLAIMER: I do not believe the above statement it is just what I believe a LOT of people do in this community.

So you do believe it?

In regards to the idea, I disagree. I do not think this is necessary in the slightest. If it is a blatantly false report then that will be found out eventually and they will be reprimanded. Reporting out of spite is very frowned upon and is dealt with harshly to discourage people.

I also think the attitude you mentioned for a few are quite narrow minded. Perhaps instead of being so pessimistic and focusing on your side you could perhaps try and see it from their point of view (depending on the circumstances)? Is there a link to this report?

People should take a break when they rage. If there is still bad feelings based on a rule break or poor Role Play then they can make a discussion. Personally, if something happens I always think long and hard about what happened. Others should too.

Overall, I feel a forced 30 minute reporting timer like you suggested will do nothing. If they are doing it out of spite, there is nothing stopping them doing it 30 minutes later or a day later.

^^ this.

Sumos always knows how to lay it down

In our super secret staff forums, I suggested a 12-24 hour Period before going formal regardless if people haven't posted or not. This sort of does the same thing as what you are suggesting here as it allows people to calm down before taking a very hasty and rash decision and making it formal minutes after a discussion has been posted.

Soon?

Isn't this already done?

He is mentioning the delay in creation of a report by 30 minutes after hostilities have finished. Your suggestion only works in relation to discussions turning formal and we already advise people (strongly) to avoid going formal until 24 hours later.

Regardless, if it is false or out of spite it will be dealt with accordingly.

What Soon are you referring to?

Hofer    20

I feel as if this suggestion has some valid points, however I do not believe that a 30 minute timer will help at all. It will be more micromanaging instead of being helpful.

I'd rather see it as a requirement that we hold the rights to close down reports that do NOT include a detailed description of the events. This is a problem in many reports where the OP has to elaborate further in his next post/when it goes formal, instead of just describing it detailed enough in the OP.

This could in many cases stop false reports, rage reports and other unnecessary reports from happening. If the description is detailed enough, the aforementioned reports can be stopped before going formal.

Guest Shadow   
Guest Shadow

So you do believe it?

Well obviously I do NOT believe it. I believe other people think in such a manner however I do not myself. Perhaps you have misunderstood this statement?

Regardless the "30 minutes" is nothing but an example to be offered up for discussion. In all honesty I believe a 24 hour cool down period is far more effective as all emotional loss is (usually) dealt with and facts are the causes or reports rather then the mixed feelings after suffering a crushing defeat.

I would also like to respond to the comments stating that details may be forgotten in such a time.

Why not write it down somewhere else?

PM it to a friend, save it as a draft, type it up in a word document, write it in your daily diary, there is literally dozens of ways you can store this information instead of typing up a useless/rushed report.

-snippidy-

Also an excellent suggestion. However please do not take my 30 minute suggestion as my only suggestion, it was merely an example of a cool down period time limit. I would think something like 24 hours would be much more satisfactory.

(I will edit OP to state the 30 minutes is just an example)

So you do believe it?

Well obviously I do NOT believe it. I believe other people think in such a manner however I do not myself. Perhaps you have misunderstood this statement?

(I will edit OP to state the 30 minutes is just an example)

Not really. You say you don't believe in the statement which is in relation to something that people believe in. Then you say the opposite in relation to what you think some people do.

The only confusion on here for myself I can see is with Toorik's suggestion which makes more sense than a timer before a report can be made. That way there are no more forced formal reports in a spiteful manner.

I'd side with that one over a timer before a report can be made. That is needless amounts of management that will not add or change anything.

I suggest you edit in changes to make things more clear to properly express your views if you wish them to be read as intended.

Guest Shadow   
Guest Shadow

Personally, if something happens I always think long and hard about what happened. Others should too.

I completely agree with this statement.

However.

The entire point of my suggestion is based on the fact that far too many reports are posted before the OP does what you have stated. Far too often I see reports being posted even while fire fights are still being conducted. Which in my opinion is completely ludicrous and gives no time for discussion over TS between the opposing parties.

Daryl Dixon    0

I think this is a good idea, like you said people could have the report written down in a word document so they don't forget any evidence. Because sometimes I feel reports are done out of spite rather then trying to expose a rule breaker usually due to frustration of them losing their gear or something similar.

Guest Shadow   
Guest Shadow

-snip-

Hopefully my edit is satisfactory.

It is a rather confusing statement however it is also hard to explain simply through text.