Server time: 2017-08-20, 13:37

Sign in to follow this  
Sprofy

Characters Back Stories

Question

Sprofy    0

Hey guys Sprofy here!

I just submitted my Whitelist application, I just wanted to ask an question about a part of the application and have the communities opinion of it. For the Back Story part of your character what did you guys put the most effort and focused mostly on. The 'Before Outbreak', 'Beginning/ Early Stages of Outbreak', or the 'Right Now'?

Thanks you for taking your time to read this,

Sprofy!

16 answers to this question

Rifleman    14

Early outbreak is the easiest to develop, prior to the outbreak is also easy - Right now, is a challenge - you have to consider what your character has experienced throughout the Two Years post-outbreak - My 'Right now' thing is that my character suffers from Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder due to the stressful events that happened to him during the outbreak.

Guest Graphix   
Guest Graphix

For me, I put about 99% of the work into the "before". Just explaining the character's personality and traits. I wrote up to the "outbreak" part of the timeline, to explain the reaction of my character, and how it effected them.

That's just my 2 cents.

Owen    13

What I did in my application is talk about before the infection and at the start. I also made sure to read thr RP lore in order to shape my character. Tgis is very useful in my opinion.

If you do this you can develop your character ingame and follow your characters story.

Baron    2

Aye, it's all about establishing who the character was, is now and will be in the future all rolled into one short story, do you want your character to come from a peaceful background and through tragedy his heart hardens to the world? That's for you to decide, but in all character back stories, it's mainly all about the initial experiences of the character, how he got to where he is/Chernarus and what his goals are for his future in his own slice of hell.

Hope that helped at all. ^_^

Sprofy    0

Thank you guys for your input, wished I asked before doing my application xD. Would of helped me make a back story easier!

Owen    13

By the way you can still change your back story when you are accepted. I altered mine a bit after veing accepted. You can even create other characters if you get accepted.

Sprofy    0

Ya I know, but your acceptance relies heavily on the Back Story doesn't it?

Sir Tiger    0

Partly, but I think they look at your understanding of the rules a bit more.

Sprofy    0

Explaining rules I would thin would be less, because anyone can write a long paragraph on the rules since the have materials they can take ideas from, unlike a back story where you have to make is up {Unless you copy some other person backstory}

Guest Graphix   
Guest Graphix

Roleplay over ruleplay.

Sprofy    0

Roleplay over ruleplay.

10/10 Great phrase!

Not really. Anyone can learn how to roleplay. The whitelist exists to show the Admins you have the potential to be a good roleplayer, not that you actually are one already.

For that, rule knowledge is way more important. Backstories can change. As long as you aren't planning on playing a psychopath rapist or whatever.

That is how I learnt to do the whitelists at least, months ago. The Admins have gotten stricter over time. Still I think they are more inclined to decline you on your spelling and grammar.

Oh, and don't worry about people just copying the rules from the rule page for their whitelist applications. That's not how it works. Two basic questions are asked and you better come with an elaborate fucking answer or you'll be denied. No mercy. Trust me, it was really strict and it has only gotten stricter. If you don't actually understand the rules and are just reciting them, it'll show and you won't get through.

Sprofy    0

Ya, one of my rules explanation was longer than my back story, I got every thing down about it.

i focused mostly right now type stuff, like my characters emotion and immediate situation, which is finding safety and surviving until i can get back too US. it would be cool if could view peoples back stories

DogeDogeman    0

Early outbreak is the easiest to develop, prior to the outbreak is also easy - Right now, is a challenge - you have to consider what your character has experienced throughout the Two Years post-outbreak - My 'Right now' thing is that my character suffers from Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder due to the stressful events that happened to him during the outbreak.

How does that affect your character, like during a firefight you might freak out or something? Your character sounds like a interesting role to play.