Server time: 2017-10-17, 05:58
Safe Zone: CLOSED

Sign in to follow this  
Baron

[WIP] Twig's Declassified DayZRP Survival Guide!

Baron    2

Let's start with a little disclaimer before I begin. This' in no way an experts guide, what you're about to read is a guide written by myself, more-so aimed at the newer players, but this may indeed contain some valuable information for even a seasoned veteran to the mod. I'll be doing one for Standalone in the future, when there's more content. Please feel free to comment on any incorrect information you find.

Chapter one: The world around you.

Chernarus is dark and full of terrors, and with that knowledge, the first thing you need to be able to do is traverse the terrain around you, knowing the in and outs of reading a map, being able to triangulate your positions purely on your surrounding is difficult, but of the utmost importance if you really want to keep your life for any extended amount of time, below, you'll find a map of common spawn points found within the DayZ/DayZRP mod.

Chernarus.png

Click here to download the image

As you can see there's a good chance to spawn in a coastal region, more specifically, there's actually a 16/23 chance, now that's a good chance, the more, what I consider to be unfortunate spawns, or the in land spawns, can be really confusing for newer players, especially when you're tossed into the middle of a field with little to no indication of where you are.

A tip here is to always keep on eye on the bottom right of your screen, not only will this inform you of where you are, but it'll allow you to get a good baring of where you are and what to do next.

You should always, always, look for a discernible landmark around you, for example, spawning in Novy Sobor, will put you near Stary, heading to Stary immediately then leaving from the Western end and heading up the hill will lead you to the road that follows direct to the Trade post. Another example of maybe a more difficult spawn is to look for the nearest town, finding that specific town will not only lead you to loot, but roadsigns too.

"But I don't know how to read (Inset local language here.), so how could I even attempt to read the roadsigns?"

Good question, but here's the thing, you've got two options, you can either decide to learn them or write them down, doing neither will actually make your journey a bunch harder, being able to walk up to a road sign, easily determine where you are, then move from there, is paramount in this sort of environment, you should not, I repeat not, rely on luck while navigating through these areas that you may/may not have knowledge of.

Luckily for you, I've taken the liberty of sourcing said information for you below.

Untitled-3.png

-Sourced from the DayZWiki

Seriously, by memorising those names above, you'll save yourself a lot of time instead of just hazarding a guess when you reach a crossroads.

What If you don't spawn in land?

Luckily for you, I consider spawning on the coast to be the easiest form of learning where you are, from your time spent in Chernarus, you'll learn well that the coastal road has it's own dangers, but we'll get into that later.

Spawning on the coat is a brilliant way of knowing where you are, as pretty much every spawn along the coastline has a landmark that can not only allow you to identify where you are immediately, but also allow you to pick up some decent gear later. So, what are we looking for? Well first off, it's a good thing to learn how to tell what town/city you're in, for example, learning how to tell between Chernarus and Electro as soon as possible, may help you greatly when it comes to true navigation further in land.

Telling those cities apart is simple and easy to do once you know, Chernogorsk as a town is very industrial, note that within Chernogorsk look both to the coastline and then towards the town itself, from the coast, you should be able to spot a rather large yellow crane adjacent to a rather run down looking construction site, further up/down the coastline from there, depending on where you are, you should be able to not a harbour with 3-4 black and grey cranes.

The cranes themselves are were people often confuse the two towns together, but scanning further into the town you'll not only not more industrial esq. buildings, e.g. Two massive silos, etc. Electro on the other hand, will contain more residential buildings, including a Hospital, two fire stations, multiple bars, etc.

Another thing that's noteworthy however, is that not spawning next to, or near to a town doesn't mean you'll necessarily have a harder time, spawning in Kamenka for example, is relatively easy to tell, look towards the railroad, then look out for a station connected to it, certain towns that have stations, will be accompanied by a big sign stating which town the station belongs to.

One final thing to note with this addition is that there is one spawn that can come as confusing, the spawn in the bottom left of the map is possibly one of the most frustrating as it seemingly spawns you in the backwards of nowhere, look to your left, if you see a train on your left, run with the water on your right hand side, why on your right hand side you ask? If you're suspicious of the fact that you're on the southern western area of the coastline, heading directly along the beach with the water on your right hand side is honestly the best way to find a more familiar terrain.

1.1 - Maps, Compasses and how to use them.

A map and compass are deceptively simple looking tools, but only with some training can you learn how to use them properly, now, note how I'm not saying that you can't merely self teach these things, reading a map and learning to read it properly can come from sheer experience, but following a road correctly and discerning your trajectory using a compass is something that's really important.

I want to say first of, the difference between heading at a baring of, let's say, 140 and a baring of 145 is a massive difference, how so? Well, the difference will become more notable with distance, the further you travel at a slightly incorrect baring, the more of course you're going to go.

This' why constantly checking your map, updating your position in your mind, then making sure you regulate your trajectory accordingly can mean the difference between ending up in the location you wanted and not. Allow me to demonstrate a rather exaggerated example below.

Compass.png

As you can see from the above graphic, that is not entirely accurate but I think it illustrates the point well enough, is that merely putting off your baring by ten or so degrees can seriously alter your end destination depending on the distance of the journey.

Now first take into account that you can never travel in straight lines like in that example above, you're always going to be twisting, turning, moving every which way to avoid the undead, hunt, etc.

The one bit of advise I can give to counteract this problem is to keep constant check on nearby roads, and I know I've said this before but, keep updating your own location in your mind, keep an eye on the map and make sure you know your position related to any landmarks, something to make that a little easier would be to line yourself up with a notably big building, look for it on the map, then travel from there.

Now, let's talk maps shall we? The map itself, works a little differently, in many GPS systems and internet pages you're used to, the images of the map most likely would've been satellite imagery, the map most commonly referred to in Chernarus is a Topographic map.

In modern mapping, a topographic map is a type of map characterized by large-scale detail and representation of relief within the landscape, using contour lines* but, The maps of Chernarus also show the many man-made structures that litter the landscapes.

*-A contour line is a combination of two line segments that connect but do not intersect; these represent elevation, curvature and scale on a topographic map.

Knowing how to define hills, flat lands, fields is all readily apparent within the map itself, but to clarify, the whiter areas of the map also define forestation, whereas the simple lack of contour lines is a clear indication of a flatter, clearer landscape. Not only is this of paramount importance to know, for moving with the landscape, avoiding main roads and keeping to the dense undergrowth can mean the difference between all of life and death, most undead, hell, even most bandits themselves no longer roam through the forests, or at least, they're far less likely to.

One last, final tip I can give you on the subject of traversing the landscape, is to make sure, to use your compass with your map, cross reference your position, trajectory, and path through the area around you and you'll be able to easily define your location and where to go from there.

But with all that said, just don't hold the bloody thing upside down, eh?!

1.2 - The Flora of Chernarus

Let's talk trees.

Seriously? Trees? Yes, trees, y'see they're more important than you think. I think I've determined at least 6 separate breeds of tree within Chernarus, apart from being useful for firewood, determining the area you're in, etc.

Apart from that, there's nothing I've noted of interest about them.

The sixth breed is by far the most interesting.

dayz-gallery_p2.jpg

The picture above is of these trees in question, now, I don't know what they're called, but their leaves are a light green in colour and they're more than usually round-ish in general leaf shape, but that's not the interesting bit.

These trees, always, always grow near water sources, pumps, lakes, ponds, rivers, etc. If they're growing, that means there's a fresh water source nearby, now, whether that water may or may not have been soured by the many undead that litter our landscape, I can't tell, that's down to you to discover.

If you're of serious thirst, scour the landscape for these things, they're well placed so that I've never ran more than a kilometer without running into a clump of them with a pond nearby, knowing this can literally save your life in a pinch if nothing else is around. If you take anything away from this guide, take this, it's honestly a sure fire way to find water.

-Comfrey Scrubs: Now, the leaves on this Comfrey plant contains some form of antiseptic oil, not sure really, but they're bright green in colour and come in little clumps, often dotted around the landscape, they're in fact really visible from afar and once harvested, can be used as an ingredient to create a Sepsis Bandage.

-Berry bushes: Two types of berry bushes, one that grows blackcurrant, another that grows those usual red ones that your parents always say never to eat, they also look different, their bushes do at least. Look to the darker leaves for the safe to eat berries.

-Other Flora: I've not seen many edible vegetarian options growing out in the wild, if you're not inclined to eat meat, you might just try your hand at scavenging for tins, other than what I've found or have yet to find, I can't recommend anything else.

1.3 - The Wild life.

Animals within Chernarus are sacred things, and if you know where to look hunting them can become quite profitable.

Why hunt animals you ask?

Hunting animals within DayZ not only provides a constant source of food, but animal steaks also replenish blood levels, there are in fact different values for different animals, the top three being, Rabbits, Cows and Boar. Each steak can give between 600-1000 blood a piece, however, not being able to see your blood in DayZRP makes this calculation merely a guesstimate of the actual value, but rest assured it's somewhere in that ball park.

But Kyle, where can I find these animals?

Another good question, which in fact can be answered quite simply, despite popular belief of some of the newer players to DayZ animals actually have a larger chance of spawning in certain areas within the landscape of Chernarus.

Let's elaborate shall we?

[align=left]93px-Rabbit.png

Rabbits in Chernarus can spawn in any field or forest, they usually only spawn a decent distance away from loot spawns so keep that in mind, note however, that the rabbits AI forces it to wander distances far greater than any other animal in the game, so encountering them near cities, settlements or other, more populated areas is common.

[align=left]107px-Chicken.png

Chickens have a tendency to spawn nearer to farmsteads and small towns, they never usually wander far from their spawns, making them impossible to usually find within forests or more dense, rural areas.

[align=left]116px-Sheep.png

Sheep follow almost the same value as Chickens, having a higher chance of spawning near small towns and farmsteads, however, they're also likely to be spotted very occasionally within fields.

[align=left]120px-Cow2.png

Cows are the head honchos of the hunting buisness, nabbing one of these bad boys rewards you with six whole beef steaks, because of that, finding them is not only hard, but being the first to get to them is harder.

Cows have a tendency to spawn much the same way as Sheep do.

[align=left]120px-Goat.png

The goat is the majestic being that I've seen spawn everywhere, be it forest, farmstead, town, field, military base, they seem to go everywhere.

[align=left]200px-Boar.png

Boar stick to forests, now that's not to say that I haven't seen them in fields, but if you're hunting specifically for Boar, then you'll most likely find them within dense pine forests.

And thus ends Chapter 1, onto the second chapter, where we'll be talking about zombies and how to survive your encounters with them.

Mush    2

Looks fantastic so far, really good format to it, amazing guide, well done.

Daryl Dixon    0

Good guide, I'm sure it will help some of the newer players move around a bit more easier. Also the Russian translation from the signs was a good addition that will help me out a little bit.

Mikachu    26

Pretty fantastic so far!

Missing some spawn points and stuff but if it were to precise it wouldn't be fun :D

Baron    2

Thank you very much Mush, a lot of work left to do, looking to write at least 10 or so chapters for this. But again, thank you for the feedback.

Pretty fantastic so far!

Missing some spawn points and stuff but if it were to precise it wouldn't be fun :D

Aye, I couldn't quite pinpoint every spawn, but as I said, this' just my experience put into a guide, albeit with some additional outsourced info. :P

But thank you Tamaster for the feedback!

Mush    2

Thank you very much Mush, a lot of work left to do, looking to write at least 10 or so chapters for this. But again, thank you for the feedback.

Love it. I will definately be refering to this and bookmarking it in my browser.

I love the little twist on this: God I miss that show.

tumblr_lv5ip5HYqY1r73xhgo1_500.jpg

Baron    2

Good guide, I'm sure it will help some of the newer players move around a bit more easier. Also the Russian translation from the signs was a good addition that will help me out a little bit.

Well, I hope it helps any and everyone, that's it's purpose and hopefully it fulfils this, thank you very much for the feedback though. :)

-Epic image snip.-

I loved that show, thought it'd be a funny twist on the name. :) glad you like.

Baron    2

Update: Completed chapter one, moving onto chapter two, which will include tips on zombies and other hazards.

Baron    2

This is nice. Good job

Thank you Toorrik. :)

Mikachu    26

Gets better and better - keep it up!

Baron    2

Gets better and better - keep it up!

Thanks Tamaster, I most certainly will! :D

Baron    2

This is a great guide Kyle!

Thank you WarMachine, I hope you get some use out of it/enjoyed it. :)

Long and neat. Nice!

Frozen    45

Reading roadsigns.. easy... lvl 1 russian <3

Really nice guide, I think it will really be helpful to all the new players such as myself. Keep up the good work!

Baron    2

Glad you've all enjoyed it so far, expect chapter 2 by next week! :D

Edit: I lied

Sign in to follow this