Server time: 2017-10-22, 03:07
Safe Zone: OPENING SOON

Sign in to follow this  

Black, Blank Screen

Question

Can't give you specs, considering I'm in the dark right now.

I woke up this morning to try and help out with the Event as usual, but then it wasn't loading as it regularly does. It loads windows, and shortly after a black screen of nothingness. That's really all it does from there.

I use a Alienware X51, and I can't tell you specs again really, because I'm in the dark right now.

16 answers to this question

Steve    0

Can we get some more info here, you see your computer booting up,

do you get to your desktop or does it just stop

Can we get some more info here, you see your computer booting up,

do you get to your desktop or does it just stop

It just stops.

It could be a video card problem. When you boot your computer up try re-installing your graphic card drivers

Steve    0

It could be a video card problem. When you boot your computer up try re-installing your graphic card drivers

from what i understand he cant even go onto his desktop

can you try to

8Zy9D.png.

Edit: found this on the alienware forum

I saw that and I tried to, but I don't see any 'Diagnostics' option, believe me when I said it'd be the first thing I would have done.

I'll try it once more regardless.

I found something, and it's doing something... We'll let you know what happens.

Okay well, it states that no problems have been found during the test, but it asks me to take another test that will take a good 30 minutes.

This is a huge relief considering that I thought my hard drive was broken.

Steve    0

This is a huge relief considering that I thought my hard drive was broken.

That would've been my first guess

keep me up to date on whats the result, or hopefully it'll just fix itself magically

My original idea of what the problem was is that I use a TV monitor, and therefor, the TV monitor just decided today that it wasn't going to work, and that I'd need a actual monitor instead using different methods.

Right now I use HDMI to HDMI, but some people that have had this problem said it was solved by switching to HDMI to DVI.

Test still running, it's going to take a while as it said, but it's a little worrying.

Test said everything's fine.

Update

Well, I tried the whole different HDMI to DVI thing, and it didn't work, same black screen. Checking up on diagnostic showed that everything is okay. Could it be bad luck, shall I throw this pc to the pits of hell?

Fill free to help me, but I'm going to get someone IRL to help with this some time later this week.

Steve    0

Update

Well, I tried the whole different HDMI to DVI thing, and it didn't work, same black screen. Checking up on diagnostic showed that everything is okay. Could it be bad luck, shall I throw this pc to the pits of hell?

Fill free to help me, but I'm going to get someone IRL to help with this some time later this week.

alright so it's hard to determine what the problem is without actually being there.

I'd bring it to a store and get it checked

soory man :/

I'll solve this in the meanwhile, and I'll get back to this thread and find out what's up.

Vector    0

have you recently installed any new software or drivers ?

might be a silly question but have you tried using a different display port ( by this i mean switching between onboard and GPU)

also you could try to remove the CMOS battery incase something was changed in the bios when reconnecting use the MB ports until you have fully booted up the check the gpu drivers and ensure they are up to date.

my last idea is has your TV ( If SMART enabled ) updated its firmwear at all if have had a google and seen this could be an issue

Rolle    2963

Why not just wipe the drive and reinstall Windows? IMO quickest way to find out if it's a software or hardware issue.

Why not just wipe the drive and reinstall Windows? IMO quickest way to find out if it's a software or hardware issue.

Wipe the drive? I have a disc to reinstall windows, so I guess I can try this, its just a matter of how to do it.

Wipe the drive? I have a disc to reinstall windows, so I guess I can try this, its just a matter of how to do it.

Seeing as I saw nothing about which OS you are running I will go with the possibility that you have W7.

When you reinstall Windows 7 you have two options:

1. Complete wipe, your computer will be as barren as it was on day one.

2. Reinstall Windows over the old system, the installation software should tell you that everything from the old OS will be disabled and put into a .Windows folder.

From there you will have everything you used to (also means possible viruses etc.)

Front m personal experience, option 2 should only be used if you have to external drive to put the files you want to keep on.

Though by using option 2 none of the programs will work until you run the .exe or installation program for it.

(bit hard to get the full idea out when I have a phone and not the pc to type on, and I suck at writing in general. xD)

Hope this sheds some light on the possibilities you if you are gonna reinstall your OS. :)