Server time (UTC): 2021-10-23 13:52

Compulsory Surrender Keybind

Tortov

Would you like to see this rule implimented? (Read first)  

34 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Emerald

Some people have complained of a lack of roleplay on the server.

Robberies are less "I've become a ruthless survivor and I need your stuff"

And more "I want an excuse to kill you, I also like your gun"

At the moment, the victim of the robbery just stands there once he has dropped his stuff.

Many people have the surrender key bound, however equally many during a robbery, can't locate their surrender key.

I am proposing that if you are being robbed and you are asked to put your hands up (as you would in real life) you must do so. Failure to do so is counted as failure to comply, just like if you were asked to go prone you would have to.

It can be easily added to the rules, just add a rule that if you have no weapon and are asked to put your hands up you must do so or you can be killed for not complying.

Binding it to a key is easy.

In the in-game menu go to Options-Controls then locate "Surrender" and allocate a key to it.

I feel that this would add a little more roleplay element for both robber and victim.

Example of old and new robberies:

Old: Drop your weapons and lay prone!

With new rule: Drop your weapons and put your hands up!

Little more RP-like eh?

*Note

If you have a weapon, your hands will come back down when you press surrender. You must have no weapon in your main inventory for them to stay up so robbers must ask you to drop your weapons first.

Edit: Another benefit, suggested by Tazoo isthat the chances of getting shot by a rescue party are significantly reduced as you will be easy to identify.

• MVP

i lold.

i do like this idea and support it.

ALTHOUGH!!!!! ive noticed when id go to try and keybind it, my guy puts his hands on his head fr a split second, then immediately drops them.?

You need to be completly disarmed before he keeps his hands up.

The surrender key is per default not assigned and needs to be assigned manually.

Normally that wont be much of an issue, but the fact that arma 2 uses a -hideous- amount of keys for commands, you might find it challenging to find an available one. So you probably need to prioritize and remove something non-essential.

Other then that, this is a pretty good idea. I'd start of by making it recomended rather then a requirement though, because if this was introduced before people were utterly familiar with it, there'd be quite a lot of backfire.

• Legend

Also, I'd like to suggest that bandits use the phrase "Stand and deliver" rather than "Stop and drop your shit!" I mean seriously guise, get some class.

i lold.

i do like this idea and support it.

ALTHOUGH!!!!! ive noticed when id go to try and keybind it, my guy puts his hands on his head fr a split second, then immediately drops them.?

You need to be completly disarmed before he keeps his hands up.

The surrender key is per default not assigned and needs to be assigned manually.

Normally that wont be much of an issue, but the fact that arma 2 uses a -hideous- amount of keys for commands, you might find it challenging to find an available one. So you probably need to prioritize and remove something non-essential.

Other then that, this is a pretty good idea. I'd start of by making it recomended rather then a requirement though, because if this was introduced before people were utterly familiar with it, there'd be quite a lot of backfire.

alot of the keybinds that are set when you play dayz arent even used in dayz, most of them are NPC commands for arma 2 when yo need to "communicate" with the NPCs.

finding one to use might be tedious, but atleast you wont have to worry about what key your changing it to. (because you already know the main ones. ZXC WASD R QE F G N B V / . ,)

incase anyone doesnt know if your num lock is on, you can use your numpad numbers to turn your head

• Emerald

Robbers should tell their victims to drop their weapons and then put their hands up.

If you were to bind it to a key I reccomend "r" as it is only needed for countermeasures when flying, and you can't put your hands up when flying anyway.

Edit: Maybe not "r" but there are plenty of other keys you can use!

Or a macro on your mouse or keyboard.

• Emerald

Personally I think it should be made compulsory.

This is because otherwise its useless telling a victim to do this as they can just refuse and say its not bound, which is bad for RP and unrealistic.

If you've got 5 scary men pointing LMGs in your face I doubt you'd refuse.

• Server Manager

Well I see three problems with that:

1. You have to be disarmed for the surrender animation to work properly. Unless for RP purposes what's the point of having hands up if you have no gun?

2. You cannot move with your hands up.

3. Making community to actually follow the rule may prove difficult.

• Emerald

I admit, there isn't much of a point to it for a single victim, however it would be viable in certain circumstances. For example, 2 days ago we came across 3 people in a field. We initiated a robbbery, and they were fairly spaced out (50-100m) apart. One of them dropped his weapons, however the others were out of range and we had to go after them to intiate on them too.

Meanwhile, the person we had robbed just stood there, and then sat down.

It would have been more realistic if he had just put his hands up.

The functionality of doing so too is that it takes longer to throw a grenade/run away/grab a weapon and looks less casual than just sitting down, which serves the same purpose.

I like it a lot for RP purposes, and I will as well be doing it any time I'm robbed. However, making it compulsory and allowing for someone to be killed if they didn't get the memo to bind some obscure animation seems a bit much. It adds a lot of flavor to a robbery, it's a bit functional as well, but the function can be accomplished by sitting as well.

I'd say push the key binding, inform and recommend it to folks, but don't let people die because of it. If someone says they don't have it bound, make 'em sit. Wont inconvenience the robbers any, also wont allow for unnecessary deaths. Failing to engage an animation shouldn't be kill-worthy.

Guest Boris Grigorev

Perhaps not a compulsory rule, but maybe implement a 5-day ban for killing those who have put their hands on their heads because they have surrendered and are willing to comply? Just make it harder to be KoS'd if you have your hands on your head. Although this is not appearing in the logs.