+1 function on the forums.

Do you want to see this?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want to see this?

• Yes
    • No

Red    260

Hello,

Just a quick suggestion that could perhaps be a nice addition to the forums.

A simple +1 function. This could save cluttering of certain topics. I've often find myself agreeing with a particular post. Instead of making a "Yes i agree" post, it would be a lot easier to just give the user a +1, or a thumbs up.

I've seen an used this on other forums as well.

Not sure if it can be implemented into these forums though.

Just figured I would put the idea out there.

Hofer    20

As long as there's no -1 button I think this could work.

Allthough it shouldn't be a visible "stat" on your profile, because then people would work their ass off to get as many +1 as possible.

Stagsview    625

+1 :troll:

Nahh man, good idea and I really do wonder why it has not need implemented or sugguested yet.

Red    260

As long as there's no -1 button I think this could work.

Allthough it shouldn't be a visible "stat" on your profile, because then people would work their ass off to get as many +1 as possible.

^ See this could have been +1'd by me haha :P

But yeah, agreed, this should be a function just to avoid unnecessary cluttering.

Guest Icy   
Guest Icy

inb4 PMs "plz +1 me" :D

but yeah, it'd be usefull as long as it's not a special stat

do it like DayZ forums, give :beans: :D

Not a good idea, and I say this in every suggestion thread like this one (you're not the first :P):

You know what it will be used for? I see someone saying something that is in my eyes really stupid. Luckily I'm this cool and witty guy so in my cool and witty way I'll make fun of him. Then all my cool friends will +1 my post because I'm so goddamn hilarious.

Sure, it will also be used like you hope it will, but there will be a lot of friends +1ing "cool" shit "cool" people say. I doubt it will improve the forums at all. Even if it would only be used like you say it would, what's the point? People are only gonna be whoring these +1s.

I think that this community is better than that. We don't need a like system. There are a lot of smart people here and they should be encouraged to say their own thing.

Reddit and places like Facebook already turn into incredibly fickle and 'who can say the best one liner' places because of the +1 mentality. If people want to get a public opinion such as yourself with this thread then they can make a poll. I don't think it promotes good discussions and for that it's a a no from me.

Reddit and places like Facebook already turn into incredibly fickle and 'who can say the best one liner' places because of the +1 mentality. If people want to get a public opinion such as yourself with this thread then they can make a poll. I don't think it promotes good discussions and for that it's a a no from me.

Yeah, the one-liner thing is exactly what I meant. Very funny but ultimately it shouldn't be encouraged.

Red    260

Not a good idea, and I say this in every suggestion thread like this one (you're not the first :P):

You know what it will be used for? I see someone saying something that is in my eyes really stupid. Luckily I'm this cool and witty guy so in my cool and witty way I'll make fun of him. Then all my cool friends will +1 my post because I'm so goddamn hilarious.

Sure, it will also be used like you hope it will, but there will be a lot of friends +1ing "cool" shit "cool" people say. I doubt it will improve the forums at all. Even if it would only be used like you say it would, what's the point? People are only gonna be whoring these +1s.

I think that this community is better than that. We don't need a like system. There are a lot of smart people here and they should be encouraged to say their own thing.

I can see where you are coming from. But wouldn't this still be a lot better than said people agreeing with said person in a post? Or are you implying that people are less likely to agree with MR. d-bag by making an actual reply post. (I agree with you on that.)

The +1 function is not something that you will be able to gain something from. People who want to be like that won't benefit in the slightest, but the community will because well, less cluttering! Plus it's a good way for admins to then also monitor those who agree with MR. D-bag. If someone makes a troll post, and his 'friends' +1 him for thinking he's funny, then we'll know who to look out for as well right?

There'd be less clutter, true. Ultimately though it won't improve the quality of discussions. Encourage people to speak their mind instead of just +1ing.

It was just my prediction. See BigLittleShorts' post for an example.

Red    260

We have seen it happen more than once though where reports get completely out of hand in terms of posts. People agreeing with OP or siding with the accused with hardly anything constructive to add to the topic itself. From my P.o.v. this would just avoid unnecessary posts.

I'm not saying people aren't entitled to their opinions and if they have one, then by all means post them. I just want people to have the option to agree with a post without having to make a reply saying that they are agreeing with said person. For me it's just a pet peeve where I often find myself agreeing with a poster but thinking to myself "I don't have anything else to add, but I want to recognize the person for saying something I agree with."

A poll is just a feature for the OP, I'm talking more so about those who participate in a topic.

People in reports like that (should) get warned Alex. Besides, what's +1ing in a report going to help. It is not like an opinion with more likes is going to be taken more into account by the GM team. It is irrelevant.

We have seen it happen more than once though where reports get completely out of hand in terms of posts. People agreeing with OP or siding with the accused with hardly anything constructive to add to the topic itself. From my P.o.v. this would just avoid unnecessary posts.

If you're referring to reports in this example then personally I think more responsibility needs to be delegated to the clans/individuals to be able to decide amongst themselves who should be posting. In a report discussion, if an uninvolved member wants to join the discussion then they should take the time to read above and see if their opinion has already been expressed and gauge whether what they're saying is contributing to the discussion or not.

I'm not saying people aren't entitled to their opinions and if they have one, then by all means post them. I just want people to have the option to agree with a post without having to make a reply saying that they are agreeing with said person. For me it's just a pet peeve where I often find myself agreeing with a poster but thinking to myself "I don't have anything else to add, but I want to recognize the person for saying something I agree with."

A poll is just a feature for the OP, I'm talking more so about those who participate in a topic.

I personally find that until a discussion has neared it's conclusion or has been going on for a little while, I can't merely side with one side and say 'I agree with this person and their opinion in particular'. The beauty of discussions is to express an opinion, bring interesting questions to the table and try to evolve or develop the argument etc. I feel that +1 is a lazy way of doing so in my opinion and it's too open for 'aboose'. People may feel intimidated by a poster who consistently has 20 or more +1's next to their posts and it's not because their right but because their friends are +1'ing their posts.

I understand what you're trying to achieve with this idea but from seeing it across every other site, especially FB and Reddit I'm quite relieved to see that it hasn't been implemented here, yet at least.

Red    260

If you're referring to reports in this example then personally I think more responsibility needs to be delegated to the clans/individuals to be able to decide amongst themselves who should be posting. In a report discussion, if an uninvolved member wants to join the discussion then they should take the time to read above and see if their opinion has already been expressed and gauge whether what they're saying is contributing to the discussion or not.

I personally find that until a discussion has neared it's conclusion or has been going on for a little while, I can't merely side with one side and say 'I agree with this person and their opinion in particular'. The beauty of discussions is to express an opinion, bring interesting questions to the table and try to evolve or develop the argument etc. I feel that +1 is a lazy way of doing so in my opinion and it's too open for 'aboose'. People may feel intimidated by a poster who consistently has 20 or more +1's next to their posts and it's not because their right but because their friends are +1'ing their posts.

Hmm yeah, I can see where you're coming from with this.

Perhaps this might not be the greatest idea then. Still though, I'd like to keep the topic open to gather more opinions on the matter.

You have my beans!

Elaborating on my earlier post.

Friends '+1'ing posts is an issue. I don't think that the +1 itself contributes much to discussions but generally, given enough time and posts, points do normalize to reflect those that contribute beneficially or even those popular in the community. Both are equally valid.

It can't be used as a sole indicator but is just yet another tool and social aspect that is fairly common. It is also fair to say that many people don't bother comment on a number of topics but a +1 could still give them a chance to integrate, interact and highlight something that could be beneficial or worth reinforcing.

Those 'witty posts' where friends will help them out on will not be in the same amount as a very detailed and worthwhile comment in a discussion. Besides friends already back people up, a +1 might just make them post less rather than support the inane comment by quoting it.

You have my beans!

Elaborating on my earlier post.

Friends '+1'ing posts is an issue. I don't think that the +1 itself contributes much to discussions but generally, given enough time and posts, points do normalize to reflect those that contribute beneficially or even those popular in the community. Both are equally valid.

See Hofer's post.

It'll turn discussing on the forums into a competition, and the moment that happens I'm out of here. Let people come up with good ideas and opinions because it benefits the community, not because it gets them +1s. Any person currently not willing to do that won't all of a sudden come up with the greatest ideas/opinions/suggestions when such a +1 system is implemented. And knowing how many people have agreed with a certain statement is hardly beneficial. In the cases it would be beneficial a poll can be made.

You can be awarded for your contributions: see the Contribution Awards thread. But besides that... Knowing there are people that agree with you can be comforting I guess, but that's not the point of contributing. In that regard, a +1 system won't improve anything.

Guest whitepointer   
Guest whitepointer

Like said before, I feel it would diminish the potential for discussions.

For me, I love coming on threads to read posts and discuss. With that, I can see that it would verge people away from posting the small positive posts.

Although the typical ''+1 I like'' comments aren't always very benificial to a discussion, in many posts people add to the '+1' and add an extra snip into their thoughts about the issue.

With that, people are able to quote and expands on their thoughts and implement their own.

If this was to be implemented, I can see many individuals quickly liking the page and leaving, not adding anything else.

All in all, I see it ruining the potential for discussions. I myself love to discuss, so I would have to disagree with this suggestion.

Main word; Potential.

Lil_Beefy    0

I think for this option to become available you would also need to be able to give atleast 200-300 character reasons for why you '+1'. Other then that people will just be using it and not actually having a discussion about subjects some people may need other opinions on.

If this kind of thing could happen then have all my +1's.

I think for this option to become available you would also need to be able to give atleast 200-300 character reasons for why you '+1'. Other then that people will just be using it and not actually having a discussion about subjects some people may need other opinions on.

That'd negate the whole purpose. Might as well just post that 200-300 character reason, no? :P

Lil_Beefy    0

That'd negate the whole purpose. Might as well just post that 200-300 character reason, no? :P

Why not? I don't like seeing a useless +1, I love to see peoples reasons for wanting something around. If I see a +1, I wonder to myself why those people think that way, same with people who -1.

I love the interaction and discussions created by a reasoning, nothing comes from a +1 other then the positive feedback.

Why not? I don't like seeing a useless +1, I love to see peoples reasons for wanting something around. If I see a +1, I wonder to myself why those people think that way, same with people who -1.

I love the interaction and discussions created by a reasoning, nothing comes from a +1 other then the positive feedback.

Yeah, but the point of +1ing is that you don't have anything yourself to say and you just want to agree with someone else's opinion. That's why people want a +1 system. So if you DO have something to say (e.g. 200-300 characters) why not just post it? What's the point of +1ing it too?

I could quote an opinion of yours, say +1 and then elaborate with my 200-300 characters (in fact, I often do that already). No need for any system.

Lil_Beefy    0

Yeah, but the point of +1ing is that you don't have anything yourself to say and you just want to agree with someone else's opinion. That's why people want a +1 system. So if you DO have something to say (e.g. 200-300 characters) why not just post it? What's the point of +1ing it too?

I could quote an opinion of yours, say +1 and then elaborate with my 200-300 characters (in fact, I often do that already). No need for any system.

I suppose. I find it happening to myself a lot where I can't find what to say but someone else has done it brilliantly. I can't really force it when I can't do it myself. You're right, forgive me lord Jizz.

Baron    2

Isn't that just something the Poll function can achieve?

Edit: To elaborate on that, if all you have to add to a forum discussion is '+1' and not much else, either something you wanted to say has already been said, or you didn't have much to say in the first place.

It doesn't really add, or take anything away to not have this feature implemented, usually in a proper suggestion thread/discussion, someone has something constructive to add, thus, they'd only type out that comment anyway, if someone agreed, they'd usually say that they had anyway.

Guest whitepointer   
Guest whitepointer

You brought up a good point. Some people don't have much to say besides the quick '+1', due to having it been said already.

If a system was to be implemented to 'force' people to write a response that was made up a certain amount of characters, it would result in the repetition of information that has already been stated in previous posts, or blunt posts to fill up the required amount of characters for them to be able to support an idea.