Safe Zone: OPEN

Sign in to follow this  
gr1ves

Finding members through their in-game name

Yes/No (Why?)  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Yes/No (Why?)

gr1ves    3

DISCLAIMER: I think I might have seen a thread about this a while ago, could be mistaken though, but I couldn't find it no matter what I typed in the search bar.

What I am suggesting is not for the mod but for the forums.

Recently I have been involved in a situation where I would have liked to discuss an incident that happened in-game with someone but was unable to find them on the forums or TeamSpeak.

I had their in-game name but that didn't help at all. He wasn't on the TS when it happened and I tried to find him on the forums to no avail. There is also a report at the moment that involves someone who was unable to be contacted on the TS and no one seems to know him, making it hard to find out his forum name.

Basically, if it's possible, it would be nice to see a feature somewhere on the forums, where you can search the in-game name and it would result in the corresponding forum name. I'm sure if there was a feature like this, that some report discussions could be avoided due to the fact that the only way to get in contact with the accused is through the report.

What do you think?

Toorrik    4

If its doable, I'd quite like it.

Sometimes if people PM me and state their intentions, I will occasionally pull peoples Forum names for them in order to resolve an issue.

I agree with this, I have had the same incident where I wanted to contact someone and talk about an incident but could never find them. Will me much easier to find people. +1 if it is doable

tnkydoe    14

Go to google

Type DayZRP

Search(Sometimes it will be their profile, other times it shows threads they have commented on which you just have to scroll down and look for their IGN:p)

50dd311c0f5d705a1779d5d74b4bc4be.png

991fddc42b3bcc6e0675172a595e0e37.png

gr1ves    3

Go to google

Type DayZRP

Search(Sometimes it will be their profile, other times it shows threads they have commented on which you just have to scroll down and look for their IGN:p)

I never thought about that but I just tried it with the in-game of the member I was looking for and I got nothing. It could be a possibility that the member in question has donated but never actually made a post or thread, I know it's probably super rare but you never know!

Toorrik    4

tnkydoe, that will only work if they have physically typed their name into something they are typing. You'd get the nearly same results by searching their name in the search bar.

As you can see by your example, he had physically typed his name into the post he made therefore google is picking up his account.

tnkydoe    14

Fair enough :P It's the ghetto way of searching. It works for me most of the time :D

Mattbro    0

-Snip-

What if they have changed their in game name? Maybe there should a function (If possible) that does what the OP said.

edit: Quoted twice for some reason.

editv2: 2FAST4ME

gr1ves    3

tnkydoe, that will only work if they have physically typed their name into something they are typing. You'd get the nearly same results by searching their name in the search bar.

As you can see by your example, he had physically typed his name into the post he made therefore google is picking up his account.

Actually in the first link it picked up on my name under the in-game on the side bar but in that report I mentioned in the first post, the report went formal and the accused was called in. He had 3 posts to his name so I decided to test out wether it would work for him or not and I didn't get a single hit.

I guess the more posts you have on the forums, the more likely you are to get a hit?

EDIT: If you actually search Josef Grivenski DayZRP, there are quite a few hits that are all being picked up by my in-game name on the sidebar. I guess it must have something to do with the amount of posts you have. For example, it will be a lot easier to find someone with say 865 posts like I have compared to someone with only 3 posts.

tnkydoe    14

Not completely true, I typed in my IGN and it came up with threads I didn't type my name in. I also tried it on new people in the community with low post such as

c819690fe371483cd1e728f8b1f9d27a.png

Edit: He only has 4 post

gr1ves    3

Not completely true, I typed in my IGN and it came up with threads I didn't type my name in. I also tried it on new people in the community with low post such as

Well fair enough then! Haha I guess the ghetto way isn't very reliable then :P

Preplin    0

If this is doable, I'd really like it! Theres been many time where I've meet someone IG that I would like to carry on experiences with and so forth but not be able to, due to not finding them on TS or the forums. +1 from me (if possible)

Baron    2

Okay, so here's my stance on this, on one hand, it's a sound idea, the ability to find someone you enjoyed RP'ing with by their in game name through the forums would make for some fun times, new friendships and new alliances, it sounds all well and good but, there's also a darker way to use something like this.

Now I know hate or flaming usually goes well punished in this community, but anybody and everybody having the ability to find out my forum name, through my in game name, sorta bothers me a little, not just for their ability to stalk my activity on the forums, but to give somebody that may dislike me the oppertunity to direct PM me, just because I robbed them or something, then start a long winded argument, etc, doesn't sound to great to me.

Not saying it will happen, the people of this community are actually generally all good people, but there's always a few people who'll resort to something like that out there.

I could be overly paranoid however, but I think this' still a good idea, so I'll give it a definate +1. :)

Burgz    6

Has this been suggested before? I'm sure it has and last time I'm pretty sure that I also posted on that; definite plus one from me.

gr1ves    3

Has this been suggested before? I'm sure it has and last time I'm pretty sure that I also posted on that; definite plus one from me.

Yeah I swear I saw it suggested before but I couldn't find the thread anywhere!

TightPants    0

Well this would be nice. But what if the person logs in with another profile? Would all the different profile names be logged so you could find the player with old names too?

Okay, so here's my stance on this, on one hand, it's a sound idea, the ability to find someone you enjoyed RP'ing with by their in game name through the forums would make for some fun times, new friendships and new alliances, it sounds all well and good but, there's also a darker way to use something like this.

Now I know hate or flaming usually goes well punished in this community, but anybody and everybody having the ability to find out my forum name, through my in game name, sorta bothers me a little, not just for their ability to stalk my activity on the forums, but to give somebody that may dislike me the oppertunity to direct PM me, just because I robbed them or something, then start a long winded argument, etc, doesn't sound to great to me.

Not saying it will happen, the people of this community are actually generally all good people, but there's always a few people who'll resort to something like that out there.

I could be overly paranoid however, but I think this' still a good idea, so I'll give it a definate +1. :)

I think you can put people on an ignore list so they cant send PMs to you if that happens.

gr1ves    3

Well this would be nice. But what if the person logs in with another profile? Would all the different profile names be logged so you could find the player with old names too?

Well if it was possible, every time the in-game name changes on your forum profile, it gets logged so you could find the player even with their old in-game names.

Baron    2

I think you can put people on an ignore list so they cant send PMs to you if that happens.

Ah of course, I forgot about that, all's well then. :D Thanks.

Daryl Dixon    0

This would save a lot of hassle on the forums. Its would also be pretty handy if you meet someone in game that you enjoyed RPing with but you lose contact with them. This would give you the opportunity to meet up again if you cant find them on TS.

gr1ves    3

This would save a lot of hassle on the forums. Its would also be pretty handy if you meet someone in game that you enjoyed RPing with but you lose contact with them. This would give you the opportunity to meet up again if you cant find them on TS.

Exactly! The amount of times I've seen threads because someone is looking for someone else that they had been RPing with but they were unable to find them on TS. This would solve that.

mantispro13    0

I think this is a good idea, as I have wanted to know who people have been when I met them in game. However, you are sometimes able to find them when you type their name into the search bar, but it doesn't always work.

But, I think this is a good idea and would help people out in finding people's forum names for reports.

There you go Grives ;)

BeerHuntor    0

Just searched my name in the forum search bar, as I know I have never been in a report, and it come up with the only thread that has stated my IGN name, which is TFW thread. But this is a great idea. Gets my vote