Server time (UTC): 2021-10-20 06:15

Camp destruction

• MVP

This is an inquiry into the nature of what counts as "hostile" and merits retaliation, and wether tent/camp destruction is a valid cause for lighting that person up.

I already suspect that this is permitted, but I wanted to get it in writing from the GMs and admins so I know for sure. The rules only mention theft from tents as an example of hostile action.

So the first question is: If someone is in the process of destroying our/my tents, can it be seen as a hostile act and merit retalation against said person?

The second question: If the answer to the first is YES, does this apply in safe zones as well?

(Note: This is not a jab towards anyone in particular that's been destroying outpost tents. Its merely an inquiry that more concerns the future plans T.O.R has for the outpost. )

There IS this already existing rule:

1.3 Killing other players is only allowed in the following situations:

Another player is stealing your items\tents\vehicles. You have 1 hour to get revenge before your KoS rights forfeit and the items/vehicles are no longer considered yours.

Or is there something more to this?

Guest Spesivtsev

Another player is stealing your items\tents\vehicles. You have 1 hour to get revenge before your KoS rights forfeit and the items/vehicles are no longer considered yours.

He wants to know if destroying them warrants hostile action the rule only states stealing from them

• MVP

That's what I mentioned in my post. The rules only mention tent theft and not tent destruction.

But its seems reasonable that if you can kill a person for stealing from your tent, you can kill him for trying to destroy it.

But what seems reasonable to me may not apply to others, so that's the reason for this inquiry: I wanted to make sure, and possibly have something to fall back to in the case that T.O.R has to defend their tents in the future.

• MVP

Tomeran take a look at this :

1.4 Hostile actions include, but are not limited to the following situations:

•Another player has taken a hostile action against you.

Destroying someones property is a hostile action therefore I think it's fully legit to kill someone for that, doesn't matter if it's a tent/vehicle/your handmade guarded fortifications - me thinks.

• MVP

Destroying the tents effectively removes the gear in them so it should be treated as them stealing your goods.

I would agree with vehicles also but for tank traps and barb wire I would argue that if they consistently did it then you could kill them. Maybe after a warning perhaps?

I ask this as I tend to remove tank traps and roadblocks to make it easier for people to drive at high speed. If someone sees me doing it and shoots me for removing it, they could easily say that that was their fortification they had put down. This would be very difficult to prove.

Overall I think that vehicles and tents, if they are destroying them, kill them as they are acting with hostile intent.

• MVP

Good point with those fortifiaction. I was thinking too far ahead about constructions that are available like in dayz + :P. With current fortifaction system and especially roadblocks/barricades in front of buildings you are totally right. No killing should be allowed or at least warning should be given.

I agree with this only if you provide video confirmation.

Otherwise this is another way for bandits kill people without reason, they only need to put a tent @inventory, kill/hunt someone, pack a tent near him and destroy it.

Hrm, but the new life rule would imply that if you have died since placing said tents/objects they are no longer yours.

edit: and I know you've died since placing those tents at Outpost, since I'm sure those are the tents in question.

• MVP

Hrm, but the new life rule would imply that if you have died since placing said tents/objects they are no longer yours.

edit: and I know you've died since placing those tents at Outpost, since I'm sure those are the tents in question.

I'd imagine that anybody who controls the outpost could have ownership of those tents and do whatever they would want to with them.

Destroying your property is a hostile act and you can take action against it, but its always best to have video evidence/backup to prove that they were destroying your property (otherwise it could look like a KOS).

I believe tent destruction generally goes inside the "stealing tents" rule, but since tent destruction is not mentioned in the rules, it leaves a loophole to be exploited by griefers and honest enemies alike. I believe you should suggest adding that statement to the rules?

In the interest of what's left of RP, I would imagine sticking to the NLR so rigidly is a bit much for this purpose? The tents are owned and maintained by a group, who have collective responsibility and therefore the right to defend it under 1.3?

This would form part of the OP question.

• MVP

If this was true, any mention that "theft" from tents being a hostile action would be unneccecery, since people die -all- the time. If simple death meant that a camp you've established is suddenly not yours anymore, and you couldnt respond to hostile action taken against it....well I'd call that madness.

This is what I think, and it should in no way be considered the current rules.

So the first question is: If someone is in the process of destroying our/my tents, can it be seen as a hostile act and merit retaliation against said person?

The rule where is says you're allowed to kill someone if they're stealing your items applies here. In my eyes, if they do anything that makes you not be able to use the item any more, it's considered stealing. If they drove away in your car, it's considered stealing as you can no longer use the items. If they drove it over, you can't use the items. Same situation at the core, really.

Answer to your question: Yes, you can take it as a hostile act.

The second question: If the answer to the first is YES, does this apply in safe zones as well?

Yes, it does. Safe zones, ie the TP?

8.3 Thieves can be shot on sight and killed inside the TP, that's the only exception from the above rule. Be sure to report any thieves on the forums, stealing inside TP is against the rules.

I believe you can, as says the above rules and what I answered to your first question.

As I said at the start, this shouldn't be taken as the actual rules, so don't be quoting this in reports and such.

• MVP

I would shoot anyone destroying my tents.

Even if i died after i put it up.

This should also be "clear as ice"

/Tp