Server time (UTC): 2021-01-18, 20:12
Sign in to follow this  
Ghost of SumoS

The New TP: Community Feedback and Issue Discussion

Dear All,

In light of another discussion being closed in regards to one situation that highlighted a flaw and other issues where people expressed their opinion I thought it pertinent to take some initiative to highlight what some people/groups feel should be adjusted or even just talked about.

I propose here that if you wish to highlight or express a concern or issue that you should state what it is and promote alternatives. If you are unable to think any up, let others do so and discuss them.

This is not a thread to discuss why TP should not be here or if RP has a place for it on the server.

This thread is designed to improve on the TP and the rules pertaining to the interior and surroundings.

What gives me the right to create this?

Nothing and nobody. I created this on my own initiative due to other discussions devolving into a bickering match where good suggestions and feedback from others gets drowned out. Hopefully we can frame this in an optimistic and constantly improving scenario where the TP and associating issues develop over time.

Why should you bother?

If you have an opinion or an issue to highlight then I would say it is your duty to bring it to people's attention and to discuss and develop it as a community to come to terms with the change and adapt it organically to make things better for all.

NOTE: Please look through the current topics in the contents below (subject to being up-to-date) or browse through the threads. If responding to comments please quote the person.

<-------------->

Example:

Issue: CTC killing bandits operating road blocks outside of the safe zone and published areas to apparently prevent traders and players from being affected.

Sources:

1)http://www.dayzrp.com/t-breaking-tp-rules-kos-by-ctc

2)http://www.dayzrp.com/t-ctc-using-brute-force-instead-of-rp

Suggestion:

In my opinion they just need to find a balance where people need to weigh the risk of trying to get to the TP with the chances of being robbed similar to the old trade post. Also, when you only have two roads in and out, naturally a bottle neck is formed. Perhaps they should mark the areas where a bottleneck will occur as 'No Roadblock Zones', common ground that cannot be used for vehicular theft. These zone will continue until it becomes more open. E.g. in the nearest town where more road branches occur (an additional bonus is that bandits will not use a town for theft as much as a clearer road).

Robberies are a natural part of the server and provide one of the key times of stress and emotional impact for the player. Bandits are naturally attracted to the outskirts of towns where there is a populace.

Should the CTC respond to bandits in the town? In my opinion, No unless they decide to police the whole map and respond to every bandit roadblock. In which case they become a police force which isn't actually a bad idea to justify having one. That in itself will make bandit movement much more fluid. However they will need to restructure themselves or change the organization and promote to open up applications. However, if they act as a police force they must not have any rule exemptions outside of specific zones otherwise it undermines many rules as a whole

Discuss, suggest and highlight.

Remember. Keep the discussion forward thinking.

Soviet Bear will get you otherwise!

sxuhpRX.png

Contents:

1. Lighting and temperatures

2. Trade Post Popuation: Bear

3. CTC able to perform hostile actions: Carved

4. CTC and their new non-bandit policy: Sidewiener rant

5. TP management: uSX

6. Guarding and flow: Tightpants

7. Absence of hostile roleplay/ Role play monopoly: Valkerion

8. Theft: Tyrone Williams

9. Layout in future update: Tamaster

10. Trade Post and Trading: Stagsview

11. Trade post and the Safe-Zone mentality: Rifleman

12. Trade post and temporary closure discussion continuation

First of all,+1 for the thread.

On topic:

I've been there today for my first time and the only problem I could find was the lack of fireplaces. Maybe with the upcoming hotfix.

The CTC and other civilians are already doing a great job to set the place's fires up. But as soon as they log out they disappear.

Suggestion: add more constant fire places to the camp. Especially at the trading hubs and parking lots.

Guest JohnAtkin

I really do enjoy the TP, allows me to shine as a doctor :P

The only problem is, which has been previously highlighted somewhere is the amount of noise coming from all the buzzing RPers. Other than that though, can't complain!

I don't like the TP. It's full of loud people screaming the same thing over and over. Some trolls inside to.

I haven't seen anyone around Chenarus for ages. It seems people more than likely die from some cause, gear up on the coast and head straight to TP.

Down with the TP.

But, don't get me wrong it's very well made and yadiyadiyadah. Still, no TP from me.

Honestly good job CTC!! kill all the bandits imo, when we get one safe zone it is surrounded by thieves.. Why? I'd like tanks patrolling the area where roadblocks have been seen. On another note, TP should have two sections, Trading and RP, they may coincide but when a person voip trades one side of TP the rest can hear it and it's irritating. Small settlements are a pain as much as i love TP. Make it larger or on two different servers.

Guest neom

First of all,+1 for the thread.

On topic:

I've been there today for my first time and the only problem I could find was the lack of fireplaces. Maybe with the upcoming hotfix.

The CTC and other civilians are already doing a great job to set the place's fires up. But as soon as they log out they disappear.

Suggestion: add more constant fire places to the camp. Especially at the trading hubs and parking lots.

Let me answere this:

When I made tp it had fire places and fire barrles around, we didn't know the extrem drop in temp at night, when we placed the new street lights.

Guest John Le Bear

Soviet Bear will get you otherwise!

sxuhpRX.png

B..b..but what about me

8bddfecb5be1e3683f75b52614ca9808.png

Issue: The trade post is simply too densely populated.

I am able to freely roam the map on S2 when its 60/60 without meeting anyone, or I will meet the odd person who is gearing up as a fresh spawn. Other than that, everyone else is either at the trade post or heading to the trade post.

This then leads to other problems. As we have seen from recent events since the TP's opening, there has been an influx of bandit activity around the area, robbing those who go in and out of the trade post. Thus causing CTC to react with aggression in order to remove these bandits (another problem that I wont get into here as others have covered it in certain threads).

Due to CTC's aggression against bandits, lots of discussions are being made on the forums, as clearly, it seems to be a problem when staff step in and use their powers against bandits. People seem to argue that there is a whole map for bandits to go.

Well, there is a whole map for bandits to go, it just lacks their prey, unless they want to rob cows and sheep all day. So, they are essentially forced to lurk around the trade post to roleplay as that is where most other players currently reside. Unless they go inside the trade post and constantly experience "camp fire" roleplay all day long like most of the server is currently doing.

If admins/CTC are going to try at all costs to remove bandits from the surrounding area through various methods (such as the mortar strikes), which we have seen recently, then we all might as well remove banditing on the server and swap to a map that is 1km squared, as that is the amount of the map that is being used by most the server. (exaggerated, maybe, but not far from the truth).

We are promised that things will happen to the TP to reduce the amount of people, apparently its not like the old TP and staff will present people from staying there all day. Well, so far this new TP is exactly the same as the old TP (excluding the location and the excellent build by Connor). Most the server flocks there and stays there for long periods of time, most with vehicles too.

Suggestion: There are a number of things I would do to combat this.

1. Alter the background history of the trading post. Making it so that the CTC dont use it for vehicle storage and partially operate out of it. They would only manage the trade post on various days. By doing this, the CTC could declare certain days of the week when it will be protecting it, therefore on these days the trade post rules will be active, making it a safe zone. Then when the CTC have operations elsewhere or do not wish to protect the trade post, they can leave the area for a select amount of days, removing the trade post rules on these days and the safezone, leaving it as a free for all, such as what a settlement would be like when CR's are not present.

By doing this, bandits would have access when they wanted, they would even be allowed to attack it when they desire with moderation. It would also considerably lower the amount of people on the days it is unprotected. Making more of the map used again.

2. The trade post is only open during certain hours, such as the peak hours for a select amount of time or for special events. As it stands, I see very little trading taking place in the trade post. Instead I see random conversations, people who are AFK all day, poor RP, trolling, theft, vehicle hoarding and people just causing trouble.

I would like to see the trade post opened for a few hours a day for trading only. Then perhaps at special times for events from TOR in the pub. Maybe even for civilians and clans to visit and assist with defense during council attacks (or anything of that nature).

To enforce this closure time, you simply block the entrances with a large vehicle, its possible to even script other objects onto a vehicle, thus making it look like a moving gate, which is quite easily done in the editor (to do this the TP design would need to be adapted slightly), then just add scripts to the vehicles making them unable to take damage so no one can blow them up.

By doing this it would reduce the amount of people in the trade post, making people spread around across the map. It would also make people appreciate it more, they would actually make use of their time there trading and being involved in other activities.

I had other ideas but I forgot while writing :D +1 on the thread though SumoS!

Thank you for making this thread, and I hope it wont derail into another "DOWN WITH THE TP"-bandwagon-fest.

I think the fire and heat issue should be sorted out soon. If nothing else its pretty easy to get firewood from the nearby forest and set up a mess of campfires all around the place.

The noise pollution is a problem that we are aware of and have tried to sort out. Fortunetly its much less of a problem now then it used to be. Most people seem to resort to using vehicle chat for voice com or text rp, and that's a welcome change. We're still discussing alternatives to help make this as less an issue as possible though.

As for SumoS's suggestion, that may be a good idea. Right now we've put emphasis on two chokepoints, one at Zelenogorsk and one at Rogovo(and then the roads leading from these places to the TP). That's what we consider the "sphere of influence" and where the CTC -MAY- react to protect those roads.

Although I dont think we've ever really considered actually outright FORBIDDING people to set up roadblocks there. Maybe that is an option, but some people seem to have enough problem just accepting the TP area itself as a safezone. Designating the access roads and its chokepoints as "non-roadblock zones"(thus making it a safezone of sorts) might be even harder to enforce and for people to accept.

Still, its definetly an alternative worthy of consdering imo.

If nothing else, maybe we could build some of our own roads to provide more alternatives for travellers and make it more difficult for bandits to choke off the TP access.

As for John The Bear's suggestions. To be honest they sound like -very- large-scale suggestions that would alter the TP from something that we dont really want it to be. But im not in charge of the TP, and perhaps its best to let Rolle respond to that one in detail rather then me.

Guest John Le Bear

As for John The Bear's suggestions. To be honest they sound like -very- large-scale suggestions that would alter the TP from something that we dont really want it to be. But im not in charge of the TP, and perhaps its best to let Rolle respond to that one in detail rather then me.

The suggestions are just something that I thought of off the top of my head. The issue is still important though. Are you able to comment on the issue?

The suggestions are just something that I thought of off the top of my head. The issue is still important though. Are you able to comment on the issue?

Overpopulation?

Well im a little divided on how big an issue it is. TP population numbers are fluctuating -greatly-, it is not remaining at a constant high. Sometimes there's 20-30 people there, at the extremes there may even be a few more then that. That's too much. But most of the time there seems to be around 10-15 people there when im present, and I find that quite acceptable.

Does it bleed some people of the countryside? Yes. It was always a fear that this would be a big issue. So far the fears have only -partially- materialised.

I do think we should do something to prevent it from becoming an issue but im not sure massive large-scale efforts to changing how the TP works is the solution.

Population rotation and control might be better options. Its also important to note that the server is still going through a "Trade Post" and "patch"-hype. It hasnt even been a week yet. And we havent added in the other settlements yet either. It is difficult to tell if overpopulation will remain a serious problem at the TP over time and when those settlements have been added.

People who assume the worst will naturally think so, but imo realisticly it is not necessarily the case. :P

Regardless, it is perhaps the -biggest- concern with the TP and it was certainly my biggest doubt that I personally had when the idea of re-introducing the TP was raised. I was actually a bit of a nay-sayer on the idea but when it was pushed forward I stood behind it and worked hard on it. I figured it was worth a shot, since there wasnt a whole lot to loose on trying it.

I think we should definetly wait and see before we make any ground-breaking alterations to the TP model as a response to population issues.

I just share my experience from today, and my thoughts.

I started Roleplaying to have a Chained Zombie carrying my backpack, just to try it out. A friend is playing the infected and

I am totally aware of the fact that he can be KOS'd.

We both went close to the Tradepost from the north, and wanted to stay out of it for obvious reasons ( :D ) and I was about to make a campfire at the Helipad.

About 30 seconds after arriving there my friend already got shot. I am not complaining here, as it is within the rules.

I managed to Save him, and CTC perosnel tried to Kill him wich I tried to prevent and explained why he exists the way he exists (just to carry my backpack as I was roaming around for a long time and couldn't carry that much)

Still tried the CTC to Kill him and could only be stopped by stepping in front of their Gun. every try to Roleplay the situation out with that perosn failed as his only goal seemed to be killing him without to big of an effort.

After he got his backpack I was told to leave, and explained that I just saw lights and went over, aswell as I didn't intend to go with an infected inside of a high Pop Area.

the RP with the others was fine and I left afterwards.

There is no need to sort anything out here, as I already did that in Pms, thus why I'm not going to mention names here.

The Issue I see with the TP atm is that the CTC has complete rights to perform hostile actions, and is the only one allowed by the rules to EVER be hostile.

They are pretty much safe from anything inside the boundaries of the TP.

What bugged me is that the only focus of the first ctc guy was obviously to Kill my friend, well knowing it is a player, and well knowing I am trying to RP something out as I was talking to him.

The CTC with its more or less unlimited possibilitys should always try to Roleplay such situation out before even thinking of using lethal force, as they can RP shit out without the risk of ANYTHING as they are covered by the Rules.

Seeing that there is nonstaff personal in the CTC there should be a Rule forcing those to roleplay stuff out force before using lethal force, ( or get punished) to ensure

1. roleplay

2. That normal players are not above the Rules as they are at the moment pretty much covered by TP safezone and their permission to using weaponry.

Its just a fair balance that should aswell ensure that it is a Roleplay focussed Settlement, aswell as fair to everyone in this community.

@Carved

Actually having somone joining you in playing as a "chained zombie" seems like awesome RP (who didn't go OMFG awesome after seeing that in TWD?)!

Could create some interesting questions aswell. Such as will it be considered hostile to kill "your" zombie? (Considering the killer know the RP ofc)

Anyways, sorry for bringing it off-topic:)

+1 from me! Thanks for posting this thread and linking my report in it. I love how the TP is RPed out and I believe it has a lot of potential but just needs a lot of balancing and it would be very good place for people to go and RP. The problem with the TP is that it's too safe and it's bringing in the gear hogs that don't like the pvp just the loot. That's just what I seen and my opinion. Go head and quote this if you want and try to convince me I am wrong because I want to see others opinion :D

I love the TP and I know the amount of hours of work that the other devs putting to get this running! Unfortunately the way DayZRP works is that we can't have nice things! Proof is all the settlements that we had. This is our one chance to have a nice thing that we can do something about! but people always like to be the douche/troll that ruins it.

Two addition suggestions:

1. Firebarrel at the gate to keep the CTC guards warm. This is a must.

2. A fireplace near the FM tents, if possible. We occupy the area, most of the time having one person there and having to make a fireplace and adding wood constantly gets a bit frustrating. My suggestion is to add the fireplace near the walkway that is raised (on the main wall, left of the main gate.) as this will keep the medical tents themselves from getting overly crowded.

We need the fire to actually cure infections and such. Also I prefer to RP that I use it for disinfecting stuff.

Yeah the fireplaces should be a next addition to the TP. Since the nights are cold as winters getting sick is easy in there.

I personally really don't like the TP... It's a place for loot goblins to hang around and show off without the fear of being robbed and a place for people to act harder than they are.

I'd also like to see some changes in who actually runs it, I've seen a lot of CTC civilians acting as they are real CTC guards. Correct me if I'm wrong but they aren't allowed to do that are they?

I'm also quite upset with the fact that previous RP events have no effect on the TP. I'm talking about the convoy mission in which SDS was the ONLY group that assisted in helping the CTC. Now we are being treated as dirt by the CTC and other groups which attacked the CTC convoy are being allowed in fine? There's no link here, it seems like all that effort put in place was for nothing...

#DownWithTP

I personally really don't like the TP... It's a place for loot goblins to hang around and show off without the fear of being robbed and a place for people to act harder than they are.

I'd also like to see some changes in who actually runs it, I've seen a lot of CTC civilians acting as they are real CTC guards. Correct me if I'm wrong but they aren't allowed to do that are they?

I'm also quite upset with the fact that previous RP events have no effect on the TP. I'm talking about the convoy mission in which SDS was the ONLY group that assisted in helping the CTC. Now we are being treated as dirt by the CTC and other groups which attacked the CTC convoy are being allowed in fine? There's no link here, it seems like all that effort put in place was for nothing...

#DownWithTP

Well that is the problem of being a notorious bandit group. No matter what good deeds you do you are going to be treated as dirt. To me this looks like an OOC ban from TP and not a IC ban from TP.

What comes to the civilians acting as real CTC, well that was bound to happen. Everyone wants to be in charge and have some sort of authority. They want to choose how things are run and when there is no punishments for acting the way they do they will continue it.

#DownWithTP

It says in the OP that this thread is not to discuss why the TP should not be here or if it has a place in RP.

However I agree with some of your points, however I must first say that, because of the nature of my group, I would rather the TP be there than not.

But I must agree with what you said about the loot goblin thing. I have seen many people with very good weapons and so on just go into the TP, I ask them what is up to trade, and they say nothing, and then just sit there by themselves. I could understand it if you came just for the RP, but the main purpose of TP is for trading, why do there if you have no desire for trading? Makes no sense to me.

I haven't experienced what you said about the CTC civilians, but I do not agree with they way some CTC members/guards treat the people in TP. For example, I saw someone get sent to stand in the corner by themselves for shouting or something, to me the way that they treat people like they are in nursery is just condescending and I strongly disagree with it. Just my $0.02, not meant to disrespect or flame anyone here and I my thought are not directed to a particular person.

#DownWithTP

Well that is the problem of being a notorious bandit group. No matter what good deeds you do you are going to be treated as dirt. To me this looks like an OOC ban from TP and not a IC ban from TP.

What comes to the civilians acting as real CTC, well that was bound to happen. Everyone wants to be in charge and have some sort of authority. They want to choose how things are run and when there is no punishments for acting the way they do they will continue it.

OOC ban? I don't understand? But I'm glad you see the point about civilians acting as if they have power. It's quite frustrating being told and ordered about by a "Non-CTC" I'd just like to see some consistency with RP aspects, one that bugs me is one of the main groups that attacked the convoy in mass numbers is now helping them? There's just no consistency.

#DownWithTP

It says in the OP that this thread is not to discuss why the TP should not be here or if it has a place in RP.

However I agree with some of your points, however I must first say that, because of the nature of my group, I would rather the TP be there than not.

But I must agree with what you said about the loot goblin thing. I have seen many people with very good weapons and so on just go into the TP, I ask them what is up to trade, and they say nothing, and then just sit there by themselves. I could understand it if you came just for the RP, but the main purpose of TP is for trading, why do there if you have no desire for trading? Makes no sense to me.

I haven't experienced what you said about the CTC civilians, but I do not agree with they way some CTC members/guards treat the people in TP. For example, I saw someone get sent to stand in the corner by themselves for shouting or something, to me the way that they treat people like they are in nursery is just condescending and I strongly disagree with it. Just my $0.02, not meant to disrespect or flame anyone here and I my thought are not directed to a particular person.

I agree with everything you just said, I'm glad it's just not me spotting these actions. But in the OP it does say "Issue discussions" which it is :)

I would actually like to know OOC what the admins system is for controlling IC / OOC bans from the TP.

Do you have a general document that you all share ? Is this strict enough ? Are you guys over run of reports and need extra guards maybe ?

I feel they're are a lot of rule breakers in the TP. If I go by car, I have to stay right next to it if I have items (or get a friend to watch, but eyes always on car).

The backpack script also seems to not be functioning, so I have to keep a eye on my backpack (good thing I don't carry 2 primary's anymore).

I'd also like to see organized events between CTC and Bandit Clans (Volki, SDS etc etc) OOC wise, it would be nice for a random event that has been allowed OOC. I think it would be fun for the admins, the bandits who feel the TP is too safe, and the random people lucky to be there at that moment.

Why not a timezone ? Say 1 day a week it is no longer rule breaking for a clan to attack the TP ? Something like that would seem fair to me.

TLDR : I think the TP needs stricter controlling / surveillance (maybe hiring more people as guards) & OOC organized bandit events.

#DownWithTP

OOC ban? I don't understand? But I'm glad you see the point about civilians acting as if they have power. It's quite frustrating being told and ordered about by a "Non-CTC" I'd just like to see some consistency with RP aspects, one that bugs me is one of the main groups that attacked the convoy in mass numbers is now helping them? There's just no consistency.

#DownWithTP

I agree with everything you just said, I'm glad it's just not me spotting these actions. But in the OP it does say "Issue discussions" which it is :)

OOC ban in the sense that you are an bandit group and your interactions with CTC in the past IC doesn't matter. Since I've not seen a proper IC justification why SDS isn't allowed into TP. Only statements that makes it look like SDS not being allowed into TP is based on OOC opinions or OOC information.

Ahhh thank you, was confused with the different types of bans. But yeah I do believe it's purely on a OOC sense as we are just a "bandit" group.

I just hope I haven't kicked the hornets nest...

About the stricter guarding and or the lack of it. I was at the TP last night and at no point did I meet a guard at the gate who would have tried to control the flow of people entering TP. So I'd like to see a those guards actually attending their posts to control the flow of people. I simply walked in from the gates that were open and wandered around. RP it as it would be a settlement that needs to be guarded, didn't look like that last night.

People were talking both in voice and in text about various things. I didn't really see any problems with the use of voice and it actually felt like a trading post with a crowd discussing various things. If this would have been only done in text there wouldn't have been the same feeling and it would have felt empty.