Server time (UTC): 2021-01-23, 04:31
Sign in to follow this  
Heroz_Nick

Locking vehicles / Pick-locking

Hello viewers,

After a few days of playing on server 2, getting to know the Trade post and its strengths/weaknesses.

A lot of people have been complaining about vehicle thefts and things going missing inside their cars, whilst at the Trade post or even whilst traveling around Chernarus.

See-ing as the CTC can't always be on server to sort out these issues, (obviously people have a real life to get to as well lol)

I propose a sort of locking mechanism for all vehicles on server, This idea is NOT centered around Epoch. (More on the side of common sense)

E.G

When you find a vehicle you can claim ownership over it, thus sending a code to the logs proving that the vehicle is in fact yours, However if you leave the vehicle unattended someone may wish to take it for themself. This is when the "Pick-locking" idea comes into effect, using a simple 'Toolbox' to unlock the vehicle and then use it.

I can understand people stating we don't want the server to become Epoch or have epoch elements, But with the creation of the Trade post I feel it may become necessary, Further more this will help out admins/CTC figure out the true owner of a vehicle e.g. A situation when 2 people claim ownership over one vehicle but neither can prove it.

"Kill two birds with one stone"

It sounds much better when you see it rather than how I'm trying to explain it.

I wish to get some Admin Feedback on this and see what they think.

Please no Flaming or Unjustified criticism.

Cheers

Guest neom

Nope this isn't epoch and where in a end of the world style thing would every car have keys sorry dude -1 from me

Nope this isn't epoch and where in a end of the world style thing would every car have keys sorry dude -1 from me

No keys necessary already though! lol That's the point I'm trying to stress out...I don't understand it :L I don't want keys added

Does the ownership of a vehicle come up as a log? :S

This has been brought up a few times and it has always been a no. It would be unrealistic to magically have keys to lock a car that you randomly found.

Guest neom

No keys necessary already though! lol That's the point I'm trying to stress out...I don't understand it :L

Locking cars doesn't work simple fact as much as id love to lock my heli up over night I no it just won't work, I think if this was to work rules on grieffing would have to be tighter and stricter. Sorry to say mate just get a no from me

Does the log entry (ownership) of a vehicle already exist at least? I understand your POV

Nothing should be so safe to put it simply.

Theres no need for an ownership system because we already have one

Why fix what isnt broken?

Could you elaborate? The logs I'm thinking of, is a log entry showing all the people who have been in that vehicle. Thus helping in a situation when somebody has stolen a vehicle or when 2 people claim ownershp, whether it be GoodRP or incorrectly done. see what I'm getting at? :L

If you don't want stuff nicked from your car inside TP, have somebody guard it to be safe. If your traveling around Chenarus, getting things stolen from cars or the cars themselves is just a part of in game banditry. Cars are your responsibility to protect. Adding a locking mechanism doesn't really solve any major problem, so I would say no.

Could you elaborate? The logs I'm thinking of, is a log entry showing all the people who have been in that vehicle. Thus helping in a situation when somebody has stolen a vehicle, whether it be GoodRP or incorrectly done.

If you claim a vehicle you gain KOS on anybody that touches it without your say so.

If someone finds a vehicle and no one is there to claim it its free game.

Simple and effective.

The problem comes when people play the "i had that vehicle earlier" card which they shouldnt in my oppinion which leads to the ownership problem but you just have to RP it out dont you...

makes for some decent RP sometimes albeit it hostile maybe even bartering comes into i dont know its just something you have to live with.

i cant provide a solution for every situation unfortunately

Could you elaborate? The logs I'm thinking of, is a log entry showing all the people who have been in that vehicle. Thus helping in a situation when somebody has stolen a vehicle, whether it be GoodRP or incorrectly done.

If you claim a vehicle you gain KOS on anybody that touches it without your say so.

If someone finds a vehicle and no one is there to claim it its free game.

Simple and effective.

The problem comes when people play the "i had that vehicle earlier" card which they shouldnt in my oppinion.

Exactly what I'm trying to say. The Bandit mentality is going to conflict with another then create a tense standoff, who ultimately gets the vehicle...

Exactly what I'm trying to say. The Bandit mentality is going to conflict with another then create a tense standoff, who ultimately gets the vehicle...

Which is good.

It just like real life when women fight over the last bottle of milk or some shiz in the supermarket

There are no rules to stop it you just have to see how it plays out.

Not all standoffs need to be tense i personally dont like having vehicles i literally give them away for free all the time so if a group i like says it was there il probably give it to them anyway.

But you know like i said its situational i like the RP that can come from arguing over a vehicle which you lose out on if you can just go "i has the key"

In RP sense, if somebody REALLY wanted a car, they would just smash the window, thus defeating the locking mechanism.

Maybe lockable donator vehicles???

steve-carrell-office.gif

Insert pay-to-win argument here....

Which is good.

It just like real life when women fight over the last bottle of milk or some shiz in the supermarket

There are no rules to stop it you just have to see how it plays out.

Not all standoffs need to be tense i personally dont like having vehicles i literally give them away for free all the time so if a group i like says it was there il probably give it to them anyway.

But you know like i said its situational i like the RP that can come from arguing over a vehicle which you lose out on if you can just go "i has the key"

I can understand & respect that, but as long as people Understand what I'm trying to say :) It's a realistic thing we are debating here.

In RP sense, if somebody REALLY wanted a car, they would just smash the window, thus defeating the locking mechanism.

slightly off point there mate.

We should all just use bikes! :P

There should be more of them though

If this was a dutch land you would have over a 10.000 bikes in the region haha

Why is that? You had a question about a locking mechanism, and I gave you an RP reason why it wouldn't work.

Why is that? You had a question about a locking mechanism, and I gave you an RP reason why it wouldn't work.

why smash a window, when you can open a door.... :S

-1 sorry mate just not a good idea.

Think about this: the background for almost all of the vehicles on the server is that someone found it somewhere, abandoned. What are the chances that two years after the outbreak these cars would even have functional locks in their doors?

The only way this locking thing would be even plausible would be with a lockable tire lock thing they use to punish people who won't pay their parking tickets, and those things weigh like, a lot.

So no, just hide the car in a bush and look over it when not in said bush. Its a car in the apocalypse, no-one in their right mind leaves it completely unattended.

Think about this: the background for almost all of the vehicles on the server is that someone found it somewhere, abandoned. What are the chances that two years after the outbreak these cars would even have functional locks in their doors?

The only way this locking thing would be even plausible would be with a lockable tire lock thing they use to punish people who won't pay their parking tickets, and those things weigh like, a lot.

So no, just hide the car in a bush and look over it when not in said bush. Its a car in the apocalypse, no-one in their right mind leaves it completely unattended.

parking tickets? huh. interesting example but once again people are misunderstanding what I mean. I don't want to introduce keys, let's get that clear..because you can easily hotwire a car. something along those lines.

I'm trying to say that we need to think of something around those lines. E.G "Log entries of ownershp because DayZRP is based around realism yes.. that's what I'm trying explain but I've started to even confuse myself now :S

But anyways, see-ing as feedback is unanimously against, I will request a closure here.

If you want a car, but it's locked. So, you smash the window and hotwire it.

If you want a car, but it's locked. So, you smash the window and hotwire it.

lol but you don't need too, because you may have a toolbox to open it, thats what I was trying to explain, but nevermind.