Server time (UTC): 2021-01-27, 09:24
Sign in to follow this  
Oldman

Direct chat

Anyone else noticed the sound is really low now and its almost immpossible to hear people when speaking a bit further out or behind a wall.

Is it changed in favor of the TP?? Yes I have VON and Microphone all the way up.

It was done to reduce the chorus of voices at the TP. Here is a thread where it was explained in a way.

The search function is your friend :D

It still is too loud for me. I think the distance is still problematic, I don't care about the quality. I have sometimes accidentally muted TS thinking that would stop the background so I can hear who I'm talking to :P

Yeah it seems they did it as some sort of test. From what I have seen it seems they are changing it back as it's clearly become an issue rather than a solution. I'm sure it will be fixed soon.

From what I know they plan on reverting it back to a better quality because it really hasn't changed much. Give like another 24 hours or so and hopefully things will be back to normal.

Anyone else noticed the sound is really low now and its almost immpossible to hear people when speaking a bit further out or behind a wall.

Is it changed in favor of the TP?? Yes I have VON and Microphone all the way up.

From what I've understood, VON only affects to Vehicle chat, and Microphone... well your microphone volume aka how loud your voice is in-game. Can't remember now what was the name of the option, but it's something like Effects or Sound effects, which adjusts the Direct chat volume. Of course that makes all the other in-game effects louder then also.

I personally love the fact that you now have somekind of sense where the other person is talking and how far from you. It feels more realistic, but I agree that now we need to use some more imagination to get initiations trhough ;)

-snip-

I just wanted to say, you have an amazing quote o:

I know that was off-topic but it just rung so well with me :v

On topic:

I think the car noises are a fair bit too loud, I'd like the option to roll down the window so you can just turn off the motor and speak to others without having to get out of the car (even if there's no texture change showing the open window, it'll have the mechanics of allowing you to speak while still inside the vehicle)

I have to say in some tituations it is really good that you hear where the sound comes from. However I feel that in favor of making sure the voice is heard it should be reverted to the old status. I can see a lot of reports coming in with people not hearing or understanding an initiation. Also repeating myself and asking for others to repeat itself is getting a bit annoying. It is true that for the TP it might be better, but The TP is only small part off the map on one server. The actual good rp happens out of this anyway where multiple voices is easy to control.

It's pretty nice for the Trading Post, but it is sort of impractical for initiations, especially on vehicles.

I had a roleplay robbery/hostage situation yesterday south of Novy and it was so hard to hear people. I can mute TS, but still its so hard.

I had a roleplay robbery/hostage situation yesterday south of Novy and it was so hard to hear people. I can mute TS, but still its so hard.

What exactly do you mean by "so hard"?

It isn't as clear as before, for certain.

But it's not like everything is a whisper...

What exactly do you mean by "so hard"?

It isn't as clear as before, for certain.

But it's not like everything is a whisper...

Hard to actually understand what they say. It's less loud and more unclear. I think TP will calm down in the future with the amount of people in their. Direct chat is so important that it need to be clear as day. I loved that you heard everyone within 80 meters as if they are standing 1 meter away from you.

Guest John Le Bear

It is true that for the TP it might be better, but The TP is only small part off the map on one server. The actual good rp happens out of this anyway where multiple voices is easy to control.

This basically sums up my opinion on the change.

It seems almost idiotic to even consider altering how direct chat changes for the whole server, just because of the introduction of TP, which only covers such a small area of the map. Never mind actually implementing such a thing.

Is it going to be reverted to the old way?

It is true that for the TP it might be better, but The TP is only small part off the map on one server. The actual good rp happens out of this anyway where multiple voices is easy to control.

This basically sums up my opinion on the change.

It seems almost idiotic to even consider altering how direct chat changes for the whole server, just because of the introduction of TP, which only covers such a small area of the map. Never mind actually implementing such a thing.

Is it going to be reverted to the old way?

We will continue to try and find the best balance whilst also looking at other solutions.

Also no it isn't JUST for TP, we have wanted to make voice a lot more directional and realistic for a while now.

We will continue to try and find the best balance whilst also looking at other solutions.

Also no it isn't JUST for TP, we have wanted to make voice a lot more directional and realistic for a while now.

Really for myself, I'd like to see if there was a way to make it more clear, possibly boosting it a bit. Don't know about reverting anything, just increasing on those two points that'd probably make others happy.

I've suggested once before that you allow vehicles to have a 'window down' option so that if someone wants to talk to another/hear another clearly, they select that option and they hear it like as if they're outside (for enclosed vehicles such as cars, not sure about others). A texture change wouldn't have to really be implemented though. Just my two cents.