Server time (UTC): 2021-01-24, 13:20
Sign in to follow this  
Voedric

Sound Quality

The sound quality in game is very bad now for some reason, i can hardly understand what anyone is saying.

Was this intentional to make people use text more or?

Quality degrades as directionality increases.

We are trying to find a good balance :)

I'm sitting in the car right next to my clan mates and it just sounds awful, it sounds like that when i'm standing right next to them as well.

Guest Vespah

I'm sitting in the car right next to my clan mates and it just sounds awful, it sounds like that when i'm standing right next to them as well.

Have you asked your friends if they are having the same problem? It may not be intentional by the devs, but a problem with your mic and hardware..

If so check:

- Your mic

- Sound Drivers

- Audio Jacks

- ArmA 2 sound settings

Have you asked your friends if they are having the same problem? It may not be intentional by the devs, but a problem with your mic and hardware..

If so check:

- Your mic

- Sound Drivers

- Audio Jacks

- ArmA 2 sound settings

Everyone in The Fallen has this problem, and Tamaster just told us that they did lower the quality.

Guest Vespah

If so check:

- Your mic

- Sound Drivers

- Audio Jacks

- ArmA 2 sound settings

Everyone in The Fallen has this problem, and Tamaster just told us that they did lower the quality.

Ahh right.. well I suppose as Tamaster said, its a trial and error to get it right. So nothing much can be done.. Personally I do not know who made the decision of changing the sound settings as the seemed perfectly fine. Why fix something that is broke? Did anyone actually say something on the lines of "We should further add to RP and cripple tone down the sound quality?".. :P

Anyway, this aint the place for ranting.

If so check:

- Your mic

- Sound Drivers

- Audio Jacks

- ArmA 2 sound settings

Ahh right.. well I suppose as Tamaster said, its a trial and error to get it right. So nothing much can be done.. Personally I do not know who made the decision of changing the sound settings as the seemed perfectly fine. Why fix something that is broke? Did anyone actually say something on the lines of "We should further add to RP and cripple tone down the sound quality?".. :P

The settings were changed to stop the insane noise at TP - which has mostly worked, it's a lot easier to hear people over other people now.

Guest TunnelSnakeIrish

Yes finally someone agrees with me I am getting the same problem I think they tried yo fix it for the TP.

The settings were changed to stop the insane noise at TP - which has mostly worked, it's a lot easier to hear people over other people now.

It may tone the noise down at the TP but it hinders other rp situations, i can hardly hear people half the time.

It may tone the noise down at the TP but it hinders other rp situations, i can hardly hear people half the time.

Yes we are aware :) like I said - it's trying to find the right balance

Yea CTC came to our roadblock yesterday and I couldn't hear a thing they said. Luckily it wasn't an initiation :troll:

Hopefully the right balance will be in soon :)

Marking as aolved but leaving this open to discussion

I don't know if its about my settings or volume, but for me ingame chat is working just fine. It is actually very nice to be able to say where abouts someone is talking, is he near or far away from you and in which direction. No more someone shouting in your ear even if he is 80+ meters away :)

Try and test different settings for your audio in Arma. I am not sure if it matters anything, but my sound quality in Arma settings is for example 128 (default is 32 if im not mistaken).

Guest magw33d

I don't know if its about my settings or volume, but for me ingame chat is working just fine. It is actually very nice to be able to say where abouts someone is talking, is he near or far away from you and in which direction. No more someone shouting in your ear even if he is 80+ meters away :)

Try and test different settings for your audio in Arma. I am not sure if it matters anything, but my sound quality in Arma settings is for example 128 (default is 32 if im not mistaken).

It does sound terrible, especially when masked by sea noises. Kotei Shima has become unplayable with the current quality (assuming it hasn't been changed since last night). It sounds like a 10khz 8bit PMC, which is around the quality level of a 50s Ham Radio. Sounds at this quality create so much digital distortion when placed against ambient sounds like sea and wind it just becomes muffled.

It was like hanging around with a bunch of old guys, seriously- we had to repeat literally everything we said and shout down the microphones at each other. This really isn't acceptable in a modification where voice is paramount.

There also hasn't been a factor that hasn't been taken into account- initiations and combat. People can no longer initiate on vehicles, or from vehicles. There will be countless reports of false initiation because they cannot be heard in coastal towns. Vehicle chat is now a chore. I can no longer shout across small areas at my enemy who is hiding behind a tree, because I sound like a mumbling idiot. This whole roleplay element is lost with this quality.

Please change it back- if it is only for the Trade Post, it's simply catering for about 20% of the server population, and for all the problems it will and is presenting it isn't worth it.

It does sound terrible, especially when masked by sea noises. Kotei Shima has become unplayable with the current quality (assuming it hasn't been changed since last night). It sounds like a 10khz 8bit PMC, which is around the quality level of a 50s Ham Radio. Sounds at this quality create so much digital distortion when placed against ambient sounds like sea and wind it just becomes muffled.

It was like hanging around with a bunch of old guys, seriously- we had to repeat literally everything we said and shout down the microphones at each other. This really isn't acceptable in a modification where voice is paramount.

There also hasn't been a factor that hasn't been taken into account- initiations and combat. People can no longer initiate on vehicles, or from vehicles. There will be countless reports of false initiation because they cannot be heard in coastal towns. Vehicle chat is now a chore. I can no longer shout across small areas at my enemy who is hiding behind a tree, because I sound like a mumbling idiot. This whole roleplay element is lost with this quality.

Please change it back- if it is only for the Trade Post, it's simply catering for about 20% of the server population, and for all the problems it will and is presenting it isn't worth it.

Please read the staff replies to threads before posting in the future - I have stated twice already (three now) that we are in the process of balancing it. We cannot be expected to know exactly the perfect value at the exact moment of the patch going live.

Rest assured it will NOT stay low quality just to make TP better. If we cannot find a good balance then we look into alternate methods of fixing voice in TP.

Guest magw33d

-snip-

Please read the staff replies to threads before posting in the future - I have stated twice already (three now) that we are in the process of balancing it. We cannot be expected to know exactly the perfect value at the exact moment of the patch going live.

Rest assured it will NOT stay low quality just to make TP better. If we cannot find a good balance then we look into alternate methods of fixing voice in TP.

From my understanding ultra-wideband was added to Arma 2 not too long ago. Settings 1-10 are 8khz, 11-20 16khz, and 21-30 are 32hz. As the quality goes up, the directionality diminishes because higher amplitudes can be created, and as a result of lacking DSP compression in the engine there is no balance for distance.

16khz is considered the optimal bandwidth for speech; it's the minimal standard used in multimedia where telephony is used. 8khz is only ever used when narrowband is the only option and the technology is incapable of producing wideband resolutions. It's considered as a last ditch because the quality is terrible and barely comprehensible by todays standards.

A good balance would be on the former end of the wideband setting, as with each increase in setting the amplitude will increase. What setting was it on before, ultra wideband? The quality has diminished so far with the changes I could only assume so.

-snip-

From my understanding ultra-wideband was added to Arma 2 not too long ago. Settings 1-10 are 8khz, 11-20 16khz, and 21-30 are 32hz. As the quality goes up, the directionality diminishes because higher amplitudes can be created, and as a result of lacking DSP compression in the engine there is no balance for distance.

16khz is considered the optimal bandwidth for speech; it's the minimal standard used in multimedia where telephony is used. 8khz is only ever used when narrowband is the only option and the technology is incapable of producing wideband resolutions. It's considered as a last ditch because the quality is terrible and barely comprehensible by todays standards.

A good balance would be on the former end of the wideband setting, as with each increase in setting the amplitude will increase. What setting was it on before, ultra wideband? The quality has diminished so far with the changes I could only assume so.

Aye from what I was informed we were on one the highest possible settings and went to one of the lowest - this worked in our eyes as it proved we could get it directional again, but it is FAR too low. Expect it raised ASAP.