Server time (UTC): 2021-01-19, 14:13
Sign in to follow this  
Stagsview

Text RP within Settlements

First, let me quote I do not want this to be a rule implemented within the settlements, but If it would be then It would make some common sense but As it stands for the moment It is a recommendation.

After going to the TP today, I saw a huge flux of people using Voice chat in every single area that is possible. I believe that It should be common sense for the people that arrive at the camp and plan to RP "non CR's" Use only Text RP once they enter inside the compound itself and The CTC or CR's can use Voice chat to communicate with their Civs a lot easier.

Now of course, this should be done if the quantity of people is huge "and i know the TP was just added so there will be a huge amount of people inside". But! If this would continue and not improve, I believe there should be a rule implemented inside The TP or other CR settlements that Make sure people use only text RP if inside the camp itself there is a Huge quantity of people inside or in the near radius. (example's like Altar, Desal plant and also Ravens Nest).

This is a personal option so if people disagree I respect that, It's just how I feel as a player due to the fact, the amount of people Voice Rping at settlements or player controlled camps can clutter up everything, also as a clan member with the TS going...The coms can become a nightmare.

Thank you for reading

Just use vehicle chat, that would already help a lot.....

It will lower the voice distance.

That to could also help out, I personally use that to but How far is the distance of vehicle chat? I can never for the life of me remember.

I agree with you to a certain extent mate. The old TP was a hive of activity and as such it was loud and often intolerable to be there.

The problem is that text can unintentionally promote active metagaming. Where people will look at names and information and assume it was all given in character which may make certain situations extremely difficult.

Not to mention the fact that Text would be moving too fast and typing delays would often make actions and chat pointless.

I am of the opinion that a place for large amounts of people to gather is going to naturally a loud place. If you want quiet RP then perhaps little areas surrounding the TP should be added (within the safe zone) so that people can have privacy or can avoid the torrent of people wanting to be heard.

Comms there are going to be a nightmare anyway. In text and in voice. All they can do now is try to manage it or provide alternatives such as: a number of TS channels designed to give people privacy while communicating inside the TP.

e.g. American Mansion channel, Russian Mansion channel etc.

I think there was an ongoing discussion about re-introducing the fading voice over range, at least within the TP. Should make the mass of voices slightly less annoying.

But I agree. Text RP is mighty preferable to facing a million gibbering voices at the same time. Its not a new phenomenon, its happened at every single settlement. I have always ended up recomending using text instead of voice when there's a lot of people at the same place.

As for SumoS's suggestion above about the mansion channels, I quite like that bit. Maybe we could have a channel dedicated to trade as well.

Hm that brings me back to those WoW memories.

Guest John Le Bear

All they can do now is try to manage it or provide alternatives such as: a number of TS channels designed to give people privacy while communicating inside the TP.

e.g. American Mansion channel, Russian Mansion channel etc.

Here, take all my this!

I think there was an ongoing discussion about re-introducing the fading voice over range, at least within the TP. Should make the mass of voices slightly less annoying.

But I agree. Text RP is mighty preferable to facing a million gibbering voices at the same time. Its not a new phenomenon, its happened at every single settlement. I have always ended up recomending using text instead of voice when there's a lot of people at the same place.

As for SumoS's suggestion above about the mansion channels, I quite like that bit. Maybe we could have a channel dedicated to trade as well.

Hm that brings me back to those WoW memories.

The Channel thing I do like the idea of but there is some problems for people like myself who like mixing Test RP and voice together into one, it will feel unnatural and broken (personal taste) also it gives an unfair advantage to people inside the post itself to "overhear" conversations. Unless you are actively inside a Radio frequency of the TP for per say "traders" you will hear IG nothing that the traders are saying to their costumers or among themselves IMO immersion breaking

Here is my solution to the problem.

After a certain amount of people are active within A settlement itself "let us say about 7" Who are NOT CR's or owners of the settlement itself. There is someone who is a CR "who should be monitoring every single person who comes into the settlement" To enforce Text Rp within the camp itself, Or quiet simply... Quantity does not matter and you can only use Text RP (problem with that being is...if there is only a few people then why text when you can type?)

I am in strong belief that CR's should behold the Right to be able to use voice RP, so when someone is talking IG the Civs KNOW that this is a important figure speaking here and They MUST listen to his actions, or choice to ignore..however takes your fancy. IT will give the CR's far more control of the situations and also make it easier for them to run the settlement, Also I strongly believe once a CR makes direct contact to a civ, the civ himself/herself has the chance to Voice RP with the CR to therefor the RP can be a bit more "quicker"

I disagree with your statement here Sumos:

Not to mention the fact that Text would be moving too fast and typing delays would often make actions and chat pointless.

As a voice RPer I tend to enjoy and find doing Text RP quiet fluid, When playing with Daisy and Amy of The fallen from my own experience I switch to Text RP as I can go into further detail, It does not feel broken, It is how far in the detail of it you want to go. Typing details never really bother me, if they do to you then that's your option but from what I experienced It does not bother me in the slightest.

Yet I agree with you here to a point(quote below):

If you want quiet RP then perhaps little areas surrounding the TP should be added

I like the idea as It can clear out the part of who wants to RP within the area and who wants to Sell and trade, yet here is my view on the problem:

But isn't that not why some of the buildings Inside the settlement itself where added? The TOR pub? The FM hospital etc etc...To provide RP experiences within the settlement itself? Would that not bestow the point of having those buildings inside the TP?

Everything in this thread gets my approval - it was very difficult to RP earlier today and it lead to lots of confusing sitautions

Didn't fully read the entire thread but i think this is a good idea, one of the main reasons i avoid settlements is the akward RP is causes when 7 guys are talking at once and your like "WHAT?" Who am i talking to wiggle around stuff like that. Text RP would make it much more easier, only emergencies should be broadcasted by voice (initiations, warnings etc)

I disagree with your statement here Sumos:

As a voice RPer I tend to enjoy and find doing Text RP quiet fluid, When playing with Daisy and Amy of The fallen from my own experience I switch to Text RP as I can go into further detail, It does not feel broken, It is how far in the detail of it you want to go. Typing details never really bother me, if they do to you then that's your option but from what I experienced It does not bother me in the slightest.

I agree with you fully but if everyone is using text Rp it becomes increasingly difficult to segregate conversations, as such text emotes and text chats will just get lost or cycled before they can be even read.

Hence why it would be pointless.

If the person cannot respond by not being able to read the conversation/action then the role play (and scenario) will be crippled. That is the risk when 20+ people are trying to talk in an area that is being forced to rely on text which is already limited due to no specific text chat features being in built into ARMA.

I shall forever use my voice and would never support a motion to enforce text-RP inside a settlement.

Text RP is the only true RP. ^_^

Lies. Don't hide behind the ASCII. Embrace both. Read the entire statement instead of taking one comment in isolation.

P.s. I like your text but I will never rely on solely text based RP. Both have their uses and advantages.

Work-Gif.gif

Work-Gif.gif

Lmao.

I use both text and voice, but my microphone cuts out a lot so... ^_^

snip

I agree with you fully but if everyone is using text Rp it becomes increasingly difficult to segregate conversations, as such text emotes and text chats will just get lost or cycled before they can be even read.

Hence why it would be pointless.

If the person cannot respond by not being able to read the conversation/action then the role play (and scenario) will be crippled. That is the risk when 20+ people are trying to talk in an area that is being forced to rely on text which is already limited due to no specific text chat features being in built into ARMA.

Hmmm, yes The problem is the distance in various cases...

Then this is why I put up this thread so the community and Staff can try and work together and solve this (what i believe should be fixed) issue. IF enforcing Text only RP will not solve it then we might have to go to alt routes per say the TS..But for me I see that as a immersion breaker and Should be a last resort.

There in my eyes are various routes we could do down on of course...I could be completely wrong and someone could have a far better idea:

1st one I can see is Limit the amount of people that are aloud in the CR camps that are non CR's and put a timer limit on these social hubs area if you are doing nothing...I know this is extreme..but can be explained in a RP manner, per say: Today the CTC only has enough food supplies At the current moment for 7 people plus we do not have enough guards for any more so please wait till later once our supplies are stocked up.

This would be possible once we have more settlements and area's to go, personally I use any god damn place to "RP" with people, I really do not need to have a settlement to RP at it is a location like any other just encouraged more to go to due to its name... So this would be a more extreme solution.

My 2nd option would be to edit the Arma Voice range.. This is the more difficult one..(mainly for the Dev's) but also, would it be possible to make a coding that? Once you scroll your mouse wheel onto of someone you are given a option to "talk with someone" If you are typing into the text the message turns Blue so you know you are talking to This person in particular? While the others who are not involved with the conversation still see it as normal Direct communication? It is that or in social hubs there is voice ranger activated.. I am not in favor though of implementing it all together in the whole server as It will bring up loads and loads of reports.

Would it be possible for it to be only activated within CR settlements?

Guest Shadow

I cant believe how many people are so ignorant to how they are constantly talking over each other yet they are on the other side of the compound. Especially those people who are constantly yelling, I thought this idea of text RP would have been common sense!

I say make it a rule once a certain amount of people are in the compound.

+1 Nice suggestion Staggs

Guest Dolphin

I agree with this. I'm tierd of heard Ray te B-17 saying the rules "as long as you don't steal from b17 I could care less what you do" (seriously if your leaving b17 to guard the Tp make someone else guard the gates) while I'm trying to sell my trout and pink Betty van.

Went there yesterday twice with Connor Forfield and Robert Losenburg. We all agreed on TS before we enter that we should use text only from now on. And thats what we did. Didn't take anything away from the roleplay experience to be honest and made it a lot better.

The amount of people talking at the same time was ridiculous at some point, I just don't understand some peoples logic. "There are already 8 guys talking" "Let's use voice chat as well" To make it an even bigger clusterfuck. Might as well be ignorance but yea. I used voice-chat when Toorrik talked to me ingame as a CTC guy, because it would have been awkward if he uses voice and I dont. The only 2 other times we used voice was at the front door and when we got kicked out because Connor was drunk.

Other than that yea, we used text for everything. Best roleplay I had in the last couple of months, thats for sure.

I cant believe how many people are so ignorant to how they are constantly talking over each other yet they are on the other side of the compound. Especially those people who are constantly yelling, I thought this idea of text RP would have been common sense!

I say make it a rule once a certain amount of people are in the compound.

+1 Nice suggestion Staggs

^THIS^

It would be great if the devs would be able to take down the voice range inside the settlements

I only use vehicle chat while in settlements because I'm pretty sure it is way quieter

It would be great if the devs would be able to take down the voice range inside the settlements

Cannot be done, it's hardcoded into the ArmA engine.

What we have done is reduced the VOIP quality, so it travels less distance and is quieter. As we can see, that didn't help much as TP is relatively small.

We're brainstorming on how to solve the issue, for now spread the word to use text and/or vehicle chat inside TP.

I would be all for restricting VOIP communications for CTC use only.

One hugely negative thing with loud chatter is that certain people feel that it will be important to join the choir and be the loudest, by yelling, as their message is clearly the most important thing at the moment. Aaand then we have a shouting battle.

Cannot be done, it's hardcoded into the ArmA engine.

What we have done is reduced the VOIP quality, so it travels less distance and is quieter. As we can see, that didn't help much as TP is relatively small.

We're brainstorming on how to solve the issue, for now spread the word to use text and/or vehicle chat inside TP.

ACRE?

ACRE?

Yes! For a server that is about role-play I don't know why ACRE hasn't been tried yet. It has so many benefits, especially now in the TP and other settlements. I haven't been to the trade post myself but I could hear the wall of sound through other people's headphones via teamspeak last night.

I'm personally against the idea of it being a purely text based settlement. It takes a lot away from the bustling nature of such a place RP wise. I don't know why DayZRP doesn't support a more hardcore feel in general, ACRE would be a huge step in the right direction and it would create so many interesting role-play situations.

As it currently stands, those who speak loudest/have the loudest mic are the ones who 'stand out' in role-play situations at camps. I'd love to be able to speak to other people who play this mod without having to wait in-line behind someone who is obnoxiously dominating the situation.

Any attempt however at getting ACRE I feel is futile, even if it's perfectly possible to be implemented. I feel that this mod will always look to simply cater to the masses and would not risk losing a few numbers for the sake of better, more immersive gameplay. I'd rather be in a hardcore, more immersive server with less people than in a full server with the mod as it stands.