Server time (UTC): 2021-01-16, 16:01
Sign in to follow this  
WintericeUK

Who are you and where is my horse?

Hello all, guess I should introduce myself.

I started playing DayZ relatively recently, though from the get-go I realised that I would want to roleplay in this game. The setting and environment are like a big box of assorted biscuits!

I'm still writing the background and motivations for my character so it will be some time before I put my whitelist request in, probably at least a few weeks as I am also in the middle of my university exam period.

As to who I am and what I'm about... I'm a tea-drinking, biscuit eating, sandwich munching, mint-chewing Englishman from the north! I'm not massively experienced in RP, I cut my teeth RPing in Anarchy Online though I drifted out of the RP community there as I was suck of the "I single-handedly saved the world from a great evil" stories and arcs.

I dislike superhuman and saviour stories, my style of RP is day-to-day story-telling. Sitting down and telling a tall tale around a camp-fire, exploring somewhere to simply see what is on the other side and in general LIVING the story.

For example, I'm currently wondering how you roleplay going to the toilet in DayZ, should I use paper to wipe my backside with or should I leave it as an unspoken? If I use paper, should I scribble a description into the note that says something like "[This piece of paper is heavily soiled with something that looks and smells rather like faeces]"?

I guess I'd describe myself as someone who focuses (perhaps overly so) on the smaller details.

Little details are fine and good, but be aware that if you roleplay anything sexual or immature (Don't rp going to the toilet except in the broadest sense, like "Enters cubicle and closes door behind him".) you'll probably get permabanned. Apart from that, go into as much detail as you want.

Little details are fine and good, but be aware that if you roleplay anything sexual or immature (Don't rp going to the toilet except in the broadest sense, like "Enters cubicle and closes door behind him".) you'll probably get permabanned. Apart from that, go into as much detail as you want.

The toilet example was probably a little out there, though the example was meant in the same context as a method actor wants to know what their character would be thinking in a given situation. I try and think how my character would think when I'm in-character, so the little details mostly never leave my head, but they have a compound effect upon the decisions my character would make. I'm probably not explaining this too well, I cite only being half-way through my second cup of tea today!

I think I saw somewhere on the forum something along the lines of "If it couldn't be in a Disney film...", which seems like a really good mantra to RP by. At least that way it reduces the risk of someone misinterpreting something you say or do.

Sign in to follow this