Server time (UTC): 2021-01-18, 20:07
Sign in to follow this  
WintericeUK

IC gender and RL gender, do they have to match?

Hello all, I searched through the questions area fairly thoroughly for an answer to this but if I missed a prior posting about it then I offer my humble apologies.

My question is this: As a rather deep-voiced male, would it still be permissible to roleplay as a female character?

My concern is that a deep male voice coming over voice communication from a female character may induce a degree of immersion whiplash and ruin the RP experience.

A couple of possible (albeit slightly weak) workarounds I've contemplated are:

1: My character underwent gender reassignment (I really don't like this one as it smacks of being a total kluge)

2: Childhood throat infection resulted in a damaged oesophagus and an unusually deep voice. (This could be interesting and if I could develop it right it could become a point of humour for the character)

Though I would be very open to character suggestions on this point...

To head off some possible comments which may come in response to this:

"Why not just play a male character then?" - I have had an aversion to playing male characters ever since I started playing games on my first PC.

I have never felt comfortable with the extension of myself being male and sometimes it has been actually painful to play a male character. A female character feels perfectly natural and much easier to roleplay as.

This probably points out something in my deep subconscious but I'm no psychologist.

Dude. Your choice your character. Most men use text. As a man people will give you a hard time. Those explainations you provided are valid. I look forward to meeting you.

You could always text RP, that is what the majority of the guys who play as females does.

You could always text RP, that is what the majority of the guys who play as females does.

This is always a solution. However, it is up to you. Whatever you feel comfortable doing that go ahead. For example there is someone in this community who plays a female character yet uses his male voice. No one minds.

You can just use text and all like alot of fellows do at female charrachters.

Or just go as Dr. Girlfriend :D

[video=youtube]

Anyway you can also be creative and play a female with a gasmask where you just use a voice chnager to make the gasmask voice effect but with a fermine taste towards it.

Unfortunately, you will be automatically stigmatized whether people want to admit it or not for using your natural voice with a female character. I suggest that you use either strictly text or use a voice changer program if you want to be taken seriously as a female character. I mean no offense if I come off that way.

Thankyou for the feedback! The text-only option is always a possible fallback, though I do quite like the gas-mask idea. A voice manipulator is something that hadn't occurred to me so thankyou for suggesting that! A voice manipulator combined with the throat infection damage would be a relatively viable combination and any burrs in the voice manipulation can be easily explained a being throat damage.

I have to admit, the Dr. Girlfriend suggestion made me giggle quite a bit!

As for people stigmatising me for using my natural voice... I've had to deal with prejudice and narrow-mindedness more than once in my life, particularly over my difficulties playing a male character in games. So I doubt my ego will get that bruised by people's opinions on that topic, everyone's entitled to their own opinion, you just have to remember that you don't have to agree with them on it...

I'll think on this some more as I'm working out my character's story and background.

Text-only is a good option since people can be very un-understanding. Though I used MorphVox with my female character and it went okay back in the days. But there are all ways people who complain.

Text-only is a good option since people can be very un-understanding. Though I used MorphVox with my female character and it went okay back in the days. But there are all ways people who complain.

Thankyou for suggesting MorphVox, am having a play around with it now. I'm surprised at how well it feminises my voice.