Server time (UTC): 2022-05-24 22:48

Something to do with reports

Would you like to see this added?  

28 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hey guys just wanted some community input on this and would also love to see it added:

What do you guys think of a section of the report template that asked if you spoke with the supposed offenders in TS. Many times people get fed up and just post a discussion without getting the other person's POV in teamspeak and it leads to a lot of hostilities and OOC hate.

It makes me upset that this community is getting so much heat and we're now known for reporting people too much.

Let me know what you think because i would really like to see less reports and more love <3

Might as well, +1

• Emerald

One disadvantage could be time zones.

Though apart from that it's a sound idea.

Guest magw33d

It makes absolute sense to do this as it helps reduce clutter in the discussion thread in the first place, and you can get a broader perspective on the situation faster.

Most people already do this, but a large majority still leave it up to the report discussion and rule breaks are missed by the accused until it goes formal.

• MVP

+1 BUT

I think people need to just calm down a bit and read the name of the forum - its report DISCUSSION.

IE - it's a discussion not a formal trying to get someone banned. People need to act more like that.

• Sapphire

+1 BUT

I think people need to just calm down a bit and read the name of the forum - its report DISCUSSION.

IE - it's a discussion not a formal trying to get someone banned. People need to act more like that.

Yeah some people seem to forget that a report DISCUSSION isnt an actual report.

Its probably because of the system we use these days where a discussion must be made prior to going formal.

Back in the day you used to be able to go straight to formal if you knew it was a rulebreak

• MVP

I can see how it might be beneficial. However, I am also hesitant to say that people should talk it out in TS before making a discussion. For me, a report discussion is the equivalent of the talk in TS. In fact, that is the report discussion section's entire purpose. It gives the ability to the both parties to discuss the situation in a controlled environment before a formal report is made.

For me TS discussions are a double edged sword. On one hand and at their best, they make the other party seem more human, which can lead to a better understanding of their perspective which can subsequently lead to resolutions without staff input. On the other and at their worst, these TS 'discussions' devolve into bullying and misleading information being given to one another. Without a third party there to police the conversation, it is very easy to bully your arguments. There have also been many occasions when an entire group of people have entered a room to argue with one person. The report discussion section helps to prevent people bullshitting or bullying their arguments in such a manner. Any discrepancies in a party's argument are usually pointed out quite quickly by this community.

In summary, I have no issue with people not wanting to talk it out in TS. I think if it is something that you feel comfortable doing, then sure contact the other person and have a chat. However, many people lack the confidence to speak their opinion and are much more comfortable typing it.

In short, I am pro choice :D

• Legend

If people are involved in a report together, they were by definition playing at the same time. Time zones shouldn't be an issue.

Personally, I prefer the measured pace of a text conversation to the rapid-fire free-for-all of a TS conversation. Of course, simple matters can be easily resolved via TS, but if someone still feels they've been done wrong afterwards, they ought to take it public to attain satisfaction. The third party moderation and community involvement often makes all the difference, and people shouldn't look down their noses at those who do so because 'we tried to solve it over TS'. TS is a fine first option, but discussions and formals have their place, too.

• Emerald

I agree with Muntz. Although beneficial most of the time, having a section in the code stating whether or not you talked to the other party seems kind of pointless. Like Muntz said, I have seen many experiences where entire clans enter a channel to 'bully' a person into not making the report due to what they apparently did wrong themselves. More times then not they do resolve the situation, but without intervention and opinions from others in the community it could be abused.

I think the overall solution to this is for people to not get so defensive and aggressive in these report discussions. After all, until the OP states he wants to go formal, all it is there to do is provide the POV of the people involved and to discuss if any rulebreaking occurred.

its report DISCUSSION.

Yeah, I've seen too many people jump the gun and say things like "Why the hell you reporting him? You call that a rule break?"

People need to realize it isn't FORMAL as soon as you put it up.