Server time (UTC): 2022-05-21 03:44

In character Accent?

• Emerald

Well, that would be amazing. A lot of those here that speak with Russian accents seem to speak perfect English. Just a husky accent added.

I think if you can actually pull this off, it will be great RP and will show that you are sticking to your character at all times and never deem it necessary to go OOC.

As said above, make sure you're understandable. People may accuse you of trolling or, if having initiated on you, they will class it as non-compliance. Leading them to believe that they have KOS on you.

Best of luck with the accent, I'll be sure to listen out for it in-game!:)

This should also be moved to questions and marked as solved if done so, I believe. :P

Guest Generic Name

Believe me, a good accent will get you praise, I'm actually french Canadian and my English is pretty flawless but I play a Scottsman, and let me tell you the first time people hear me talk in my regular voice in TS they go WTF, that is a nice reaction to get.

• Emerald

I can't stand putting on another accent because I feel like im just mocking people with that accent but the struggling to speak fluent English could be quite a good one to use! I may have to do this :D

I have been roleplaying with a russian accent for a long time and i must say, it is quite taxing.

In fact, it might wear you out.

Just saying, be careful when you commit to it. Make sure it's easy enough for you to hold over prolonged sessions and long texts.

• Legend

When im playing laka my vasc character it is hard to keep the accent going.... I tend to mumbles in spanish fast when om pissed ic but its great to limit yourself ic as it provides great rp.

If you pull it of... Good on you... Best accent i met was willy pete... God how i miss lost and found :(

• Titanium

Also, if you feel you're being over the top with the accent and you think you sound annoying, or you don't think you are doing your best job, always ask a friend or clan member on how to improve.

I played Sung Ho and I admit, that accent is such a stereotype. But, I stuck with it and it eventually began to dawn on me that people might have hated my character because of his accent. Which from what I have heard, wasn't the case. Always get an outside opinion on what to improve and if whoever is RPing with you enjoys it. Otherwise you'd just annoy people and make yourself look stupid.

• MVP

I have been roleplaying with a russian accent for a long time and i must say, it is quite taxing.

In fact, it might wear you out.

Just saying, be careful when you commit to it. Make sure it's easy enough for you to hold over prolonged sessions and long texts.

While mine pales in comparison to yours, I don't find it taxing as long as you don't make it too much of a stereotype.

The hard part is creating bad English translations that sound genuine, without making it funny.

Threatening in broken English while they still understand, very rewarding.

the key to making it believable is using Russian grammar for English phrases.

This creates quite comic expressions, such as "shit of piece", which became a household expression inside the iNjected.

Also, a good idea would be to listen to someone speak the language you are attempting to accent, and just try to listen which sounds you DONT hear.

then try saying a sentence without using those sounds absent in the targeted language.

For example, Russian doesn't have an H. So anything that contains an H turns into a G or an CH (or KH). So the name Henry in russian would be pronounced Genry, or even Genrich (or Genrikh).

• MVP

the key to making it believable is using Russian grammar for English phrases.

This creates quite comic expressions, such as "shit of piece", which became a household expression inside the iNjected.

Wow, I think I might have said that a few times, by accident. Good to know my Russian grammar guess was right! :D

• Titanium

I have been using Russian accent since day one.And my English is kinda bad so i like it :D.

Thanks everyone, I find this very useful indeed. I myself am a Swede so doing a weird norwegian shouldn't be a problem. I do think I'm gonna have to repeat myself quite a lot, haha!

I'm a master of accents, so using a weird Scandinavian one feels best as it will confuse so many people. I can see it in front of me, hilarious stuff!

Nice points you made about the russian accent, gotta think about that as well!

• Emerald

Well, i'm Norwegian and i guess i have a somewhat weird accent sometimes. Atleast i used to before i joined BHM with all these damn Brits!

You could draw some inspiration from here. :D

[video=youtube]

• Legend

As a Norwegian myself this is something that could be pulled off. I am worried though, since you are Swedish, that you might struggle to find the correct "tone" to back up your accent.

Most Norwegians do have good verbal English as long as they're below 30. Those above 30 however, cut out the "th" sound in "there", making it either "dere" or "tere". This is a common mistake.

Where I work, we communicate with our customers in English almost 90% of the time and I have heard a lot of ridiculous accents around here. Most of them have a pretty decent vocabulary, but the way they are pronouncing the words are just too Norwegian.

I might suggest listening a bit to Norwegian, and implementing the "tone" of our language onto English.

This is an example of "Norwenglish". Petter Solberg is one of the worst famous Norwegians when it comes to English pronunciation, so he might be over the top. But he is still a very good example of how the "tone" should be.

[video=youtube]

[video=youtube]