Server time (UTC): 2022-05-23 01:32

Allison - Ban Appeal

ktbur

Link to the source of punishment (report/post):

http://www.dayzrp.com/t-ska-bans-final-disposition

Why the verdict is not fair:

Verdict was fair.

Additional statements/comments explaining your point of view:

As Oscar Wilde once wrote, "Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes". And a mistake was indeed made when we decided to harbor a permabanned player. For all the bravado that we displayed, exclaiming how greatly we valued our friendship above all else, in the end, a rule was still broken.

After starting our own community, I began to realize the difficulties and sacrifices involved with being a member of staff. It matters not whether you are in charge of a small online community or whether you are the CEO of a business corporation. In the end, power comes with responsibility and difficult decisions must be made. Who gets a ban? Who doesn't get a ban? Someone will always end up disagreeing with your decision, though the best you can do is to trust in your instincts.

During my time as an admin, I have come to see and understand the sacrifices that the staff members of DayZRP makes in ensuring that players get an enjoyable experience. Hours are spent on reports, pouring over logs to find kills that don't even match up to the indicated time on the report. You could have been playing in game, but instead you dealt with the numerous reports that SKA brought about. The frustration that I felt when groups of players were causing trouble on DeadZone made me realize the reasoning behind your decision. It is simply not worth your time to deal with players who are most likely going to repeat the mistake again.

However, I assure you that this mistake will not be made again. Throughout my time on DayZRP, many friends were made but more were lost when I was banned. There is simply no other mod that provides the level of immersion and RP that I expect of other players. I hope to share my travels with those lost souls in Chernarus again some day as there are yet many things that I want to contribute to the community.

Thank you for reading,

Allison

What would you like to achieve with this appeal:

Removal of permaban in place of 20 permanent warning points.

What could you have done better?:

Talked them out of it.

• Emerald

I have been in this situation. But, unlike some, I chose to reveal everything I knew as soon as the person circumvented the ban. I made that decision simply because a true friend would not put someone in that situation in the first place, and I am not going to let someone else put my standing here in jeopardy.

I am glad someone understands the exact sacrifices staff make to ensure a community is ran as fairly as possible. There are rarely times we 'enjoy' banning community members, and while it is sometimes unpleasant, it has to be done. Having said this, I have but a single question for you.

If it were to happen again, or if you could go back in time, what would your choice be?

If a time machine existed and I were to go back in time, I would do the following:

1) Try and convince WB to make a proper ban appeal after his permaban instead of letting him make numerous troll accounts. If that didn't work, I would proceed to the next course of action:

2) Try and convince WB and everyone else that having him in the clan would be detrimental to our standing on DayZRP. Urge everyone to to not go through with it.

3) If all other avenues have been exhausted and they refuse to listen to my reasoning, confide in a staff member to try and salvage the situation.

• Legend

The issue with this is that option two stills allow a permanently banned player onto the server, if not into your clan. It would still be a breach of the rules.

Is there anything else you would like to mention before we continue with this appeal?

The options I listed are not mutually exclusive. Meaning, I would first proceed with step 1 and then step 2 and then finally step 3, where I would inform the staff of the situation should others not listen to my urges. I feel that trying to convince the others firstly would be the best choice of option before getting the staff involved.

• El Presidente

Together with the admins we have decided to do a special exception and replace your permanent ban with 20 non-expiring warning points. You will have to prove that you are indeed a good role player and a community member before we consider removing the warning points in the future.

The reasoning behind the decision is that majority of us knew you before the unfortunate events surrounding the SKA and we believe that you can be trusted enough to get another chance in our community. Don't make us regret it, we will be watching you.