Server time (UTC): 2022-05-28 14:08

ID's on corpses

Stagsview

• Legend

Right, yesterday I encountered a little situation that got me thinking for the evening. I went up to prud the Other day and a person (name shall remain hiding out of respect) came up to me and ID me as a Fallen member by my patch. I IC and OOC was very confused because we publically have never called us as The fallen or Ex tws member... So i asked OOC how he knew about us.

From here he quoted that he found a dead member and picked up his ID telling him he is a fallen member. But to tell the truth... A id would or should in my personal opinion only give a name of the person. No nickname or details of post outbreak situations.

What i think is when iding corpses you should only be able to get their name... And if they are part of a group the patch is the hint for where they are from... But you can only know what the group is or named if you have directly heard someone tell you it as that group... Or if the tag has their name writen on it (like the 501st).

Also another thing that bugs me is tags on cars. How do you rp out a huge sticker going on and of while driving also with the clan name under the logo itself? The logo does not bother me but having the name under it kind of ruins it for me giving far the much information. I think it should be ignored and the logo itself.. As dead corpses should be the hint.

Maybe I am being picky but what do you guys think?

Guest Pandi

I agree with you on the name under the logo, it can sometimes pass information over like your group name if people check. I'm not really that bothered by it though unless I'm in a situation where I don't want someone to know who we are, I feel the way how it works is fine, I don't really think it is a big deal but don't get me wrong, I do agree.

• Sapphire

Yeah, nobody is gonna run around with a license that says:" Hello, my name is XY and I am member of the bandit clan YZ."

IDs should only tell you the name of somebody since they are passports, driving licenses etc. but not their clan affiliations nor the name of the clan they are in...

• Emerald

From here he quoted that he found a dead member and picked up his ID telling him he is a fallen member.

To be honest even if he did find one of our "IDs" he still shouldn't know the name of the group considering we haven't (as far as I know) ever said "The Fallen" in game. All they would know is our emblem from seeing it on our arms and vehicles.

Realistically the emblem wouldnt disappear from the arm so if you know IC what that emblem represents then by all means you should be able to use it.

• Legend

I agree with you on the name under the logo, it can sometimes pass information over like your group name if people check. I'm not really that bothered by it though unless I'm in a situation where I don't want someone to know who we are, I feel the way how it works is fine, I don't really think it is a big deal but don't get me wrong, I do agree.

Think it like this though. A member of TCP goes around driving a UAZ and someone see's them pull up. He see's the name and ID's out the group name and also the patch on their arm. Same with Iding corpses... It could ruin the entire point of the clan and they have no power OOC or IC in controlling that ruining their whole rp idea in a swift blow. Kind of spoils the fun no?

• Diamond

Well the way I always used the "ID" on corpses thing is, I got the name OOC, but not IC (because I don't know what kind of ID he had on him, in silence when people asked me for ID, I always showed them my RSM Insurance card that says I am a DUTY member, even though the group didnt exists at that point).

Only thing I might find on him is for example a military badge or any other group badge, if my character knows that badge then I will go ingame like "There is a dead 501st member over there". Not the name since I some situations it is awkward and also kind of permadeaths the character for a small amount of time.

For example I find the dead body of John J., and go around "Hey guys there is dead person called John J. over there" An hour later he respawned and well stands in front of you...

2 reasons why I am used to do it that way. When I first joined DUTY, Enclave and IRA executed 2 high ranked members of us in the sanctuary for no reason really. (Slavik and Klein I think)

Later one I met up with klein again and he told me to do it that way, not say they killed slavik, say the killed one of our high ranked members. Which is also awkward btw because we never had that many people, one of the reasons why I wouldn't execute people. Unless a very good reason is given.

Another thing is, I watched a video of Psi where he was with D3 and what did they do... one of them said "I killed Morgan Riggs ! Yes, he is dead" something along those lines.

• Emerald

Just like Rockie I consider "study body" option to be an OOC way of knowing who died. I never use those names IC and go around places telling that I found these and these bodies. Knowing that it is a some clan members is OK if it shows the tag, I mean the groups have tags so they can identify each other. But it's not good in RP sense to go out claiming that someone is dead since there is a respawn mechanism in the game and people are not forced to permadeath their characters if they die.

Dead bodies will have a patch aswell, (Even if they don't show you can ID them) So I see no problem at all with this. I agree that he shouldn't have known the name though, unless he had met a fallen member and he had told him then I see what you mean.... But there is no way to stop this, people can just that they have friend who has met you guys before.

I'm not really bothered by it though. Once you guys get known its going to happen anyway, regardless of if you have met them yet.

Guest Likurja

I remember a very fucked up situation about giving IDs.

I was robbed and I was asked for ID. I told the robbers I don't have one because who the fuck carries IDs in the apocalypse? Then they give me a piece of paper and a pen and they wanted me to write my name down. I wrote my name down. One thing to note is that I was in civilian clothing. Suddenly when I finnish text RP they know that I was CSR even when I only wrote my name down...

I asked them how they know I was CSR IC and they say I still have my badge on... There would have been many other reasons to answer my question like "You are a well known CSR member..." yet they decided to tell me I still have my badge on when I didn't...

• MVP

I was robbed and I was asked for ID. I told the robbers I don't have one because who the fuck carries IDs in the apocalypse? Then they give me a piece of paper and a pen and they wanted me to write my name down. I wrote my name down. One thing to note is that I was in civilian clothing. Suddenly when I finnish text RP they know that I was CSR even when I only wrote my name down...

I asked them how they know I was CSR IC and they say I still have my badge on... There would have been many other reasons to answer my question like "You are a well known CSR member..." yet they decided to tell me I still have my badge on when I didn't...

Problem is they have every right to use that information, as stated in the rules. Many people, myself included, would not as it goes against the role play side of things. The problem however is that the rules state it is allowed.

If I remember right it was designed to stop people from gaming the system to prevent KoS rights or make identification completely impossible thereby removing revenge rights or forcing a person to appear to be meta-gaming to get that knowledge.

The caveats however are the situation that you mentioned. It is unfortunate but it is better than the alternative.

All that you can do is minimize the damage any way possible with in-game action, communication or just bullshit your way out of it.

In regards to corpses: I for one think it is well known not to focus on a corpse's name unless for OOC info. I remember a person dying at Haven and coming back later on. A few others mentioned his name saying that they thought he was dead and that could have been avoided completely and not affected the mood by just ignoring it. It was not relevant to NLR and had been a significant amount of time in between so there was no real issues there.

Please bear in mind that was a long time ago and using a corpse's identity is fairly frowned upon nowadays.

Easiest thing for everyone to do is just use a generic term: "A Russian's corpse" or an "American". That way nobody's story gets affected that negatively.

Guest Likurja

Problem is they have every right to use that information, as stated in the rules. Many people, myself included, would not as it goes against the role play side of things. The problem however is that the rules state it is allowed.

If I remember right it was designed to stop people from gaming the system to prevent KoS rights or make identification completely impossible thereby removing revenge rights or forcing a person to appear to be meta-gaming to get that knowledge.

The caveats however are the situation that you mentioned. It is unfortunate but it is better than the alternative.

All that you can do is minimize the damage any way possible with in-game action, communication or just bullshit your way out of it.

But at least they could have RPed until the point when it comes to truth that Im CSR, they just suddenly started asking questions about CSR without saying anything before it.

• MVP

But at least they could have RPed until the point when it comes to truth that Im CSR, they just suddenly started asking questions about CSR without saying anything before it.

They could have, yes, but they did not need to as the rules say they are allowed to do it.

What you are essentially criticizing is their ability to role play out getting that information when the rules say that if there was no identifying features shown, they were allowed to use that as 'In Character' information.

In those situations I'm of the opinion that you should't even show identification and do everything you possibly can to avoid giving it to them if at that disadvantage.

• Emerald

I want physical IDs I can collect as trophies....

Like Dog tags then in ACE. That would be interesting.

• Emerald

I want physical IDs I can collect as trophies....

Like Dog tags then in ACE. That would be interesting.

That reminds me of back in January when I killed a Council member, I found a item on him called "Evidence" which looked like a dogtag.

• Emerald

ya I almost wish there was something physical in game you could get to use as an ID. IC, my guy doesn't have an ID. So it doesn't make sense that people would know my body unless they recognized my face (which is pretty hard with dead bodies). Maybe if they were to add an ID, sort of like a radio where it serves no technical purpose, but it does from an RP sense that you spawn with, you could then chose to either drop it or keep it. Then, if somebody finds your dead body, they could ID you IC if you kept it on you. Otherwise, there is no way that studying corpses should be used as IC info.

Its a difficult situation when it comes to recognizing clans. I've never had the problem where a clan member hasn't wanted me knowing who they are. If I haven't met the clan before I'll usually ask why they wear a patch and if it stands for something. This gives the clan member a chance to say it means nothing e.t.c.

With the ID thing I think that what clan you are part of should NOT be on ID because its not like your drivers licence would carry that knowledge. Maybe if it was an army based clan such as a Russian army or American army you might find dog tags and be able to make an assumption, but you would first have to know that the clan exists.

It doesn't bother me too much but not knowing a clan or what they stand for may lead to some good/interesting RP so I always RP it that I don't know a clan unless I learned about the clan IG or already talked some of there members.