Server time (UTC): 2021-01-27, 10:24
Sign in to follow this  
Vesper

Computer help please!

Hey all. So right now I have a Nvidia Geoforce GTX 260. I'd like to upgrade to a 760. From what I can tell, it will fit just fine in my computer. (Alienware Auroa) What I'm having difficulties with is if I will need to buy a new power supply or not. My 260 is pulling 182 watts from what I can tell, but the 760 only uses 170. I'm not even sure if that is what I should base it on as someone has advised me that I should buy a new power supply "just in case". I know they aren't expensive, but I'd rather not spend more money on something I don't really need.

It should be able to hold up fine. Yes, the safe option would be buying a new power supply along side the graphics card, however the power supply should still run just as well.

Eventually, the power supply may die and it will be until then that you will have to purchase a new power supply. If I were you, I'd get the use out of the current one you have then purchase a new one when need be.

It should be able to hold up fine. Yes, the safe option would be buying a new power supply along side the graphics card, however the power supply should still run just as well.

Eventually, the power supply may die and it will be until then that you will have to purchase a new power supply. If I were you, I'd get the use out of the current one you have then purchase a new one when need be.

Ok thanks!

Ok thanks!

No worries. I'd wait for others to reply as they may have better advice and could even grant you a cheap, good power supply.

Best of luck!

Get a Corsair power supply. Best things ever, I got a 750w one, it's beautiful.

Pretty sure they do a 850w one as well. Not too pricey either!

Hey, if it works! lol

I actually think that 200 dollars for a power supply is a lot, but they are important I guess.

Also, it was more like 240 dollars.

Hey, if it works! lol

I actually think that 200 dollars for a power supply is a lot, but they are important I guess.

Also, it was more like 240 dollars.

Oh, this is awkward. I thought you said PC lollll

I don't think you would need a 750W PSU if you're just running one card, what PSU do you have right now?

I don't think you would need a 750W PSU if you're just running one card, what PSU do you have right now?

I'm not even sure truth be told. I'm not sure where to locate it when I open it up -.- I'm not a huge computer buff whatsoever. But I DO plan on eventually installing a second card so maybe I should just invest in a new power supply now?

I'm not even sure truth be told. I'm not sure where to locate it when I open it up -.- I'm not a huge computer buff whatsoever. But I DO plan on eventually installing a second card so maybe I should just invest in a new power supply now?

Yeh, if SLI is a possibility in the future just get a 750W corsair psu, should be able to handle everything + overclocking.

Guest magw33d

Well, the logical thing would be to figure out how much your rig will pull. Speculating and buying the highest rated PSU would be the wrong thing to do.

http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

Put all of your PC specifications into this calculator and figure out how many watts the rig will require.

Buy a decently branded PSU as well. Corsair will do, as Jamesy said. Build quality on no-name brands is terrible, and they will often expire before warranty.

Great great website that helps me find my estimated wattage is http://www.pcpartpicker.com

This website you can put all your gear in there and it will give you an average rating for your wattage. I do tend to go a good 100 watts of what it says just to be safe about it. Also your computer will work to upgrade to a 760 but there's a catch you might experience some slight lag or not feel your getting the max out of your graphics card. The reason being is that the PCI slot that the cards connect to are 2.0 in your computer and the ones on modern day cards are 3.0 so as I love to make and build computers my suggestion is get a new board but if that's out of the range then just live with a slightly not at a 100% card. But to be honest you yourself might not notice because your upgrading for generations ahead so... Well that's all I have. Pm me or any of that matter or find me on teamspeak I am very knowledgeable when it comes to computers and can answer almost anything.

Regards,

Aj

You do if you run 4 hard drives and a disk drive as well like me :D

OP - what wattage is your current PSU rated for? As long as it is comfortably above the minimum required for the 760 you'll be fine

Be careful with the amount of amps that your current power supply outputs on the 12v rail. Yes the wattage is important but the amps are crucial. If you do however need to purchase a new power supply, look for a 600 watt (around that mark) 80 plus certified psu.