Server time (UTC): 2021-01-27, 07:37
Sign in to follow this  
AncientPilgrim

Characters Who Don't Speak English

I used to have this character named Vilhelm Klein that I'd go on whenever none of my clan mates were on, that I'm thinking of going back on soon. Vilhelm was a baker from Germany who didn't speak ANY English (I don't know any German, I just sort of typed and spoke gibberish in a German sounding accent along with bits of German.) Eventually, Vilhelm would learn English from his encounters.

I was wondering how people would react to Vilhelm if he literally could not respond to anyone. Would people get frustrated, would they try to communicate, or would they just completely ignore him? Also, how would the rules dictate it if Vilhelm got shot for noncompliance if he had no idea what the mean people were yelling at him? Probably in favor of the robbers, but just looking for opinions.

I like it to some extend, I think if you're going to make a foreign character he should at least have some english skills to not make it impossible to communicate, that kind of roleplay can be fun but just make sure your character has very basic english :)

As Husky said basic English is a much to keep it fun for everyone. There are players from all over the world here playing different characters but in RP the lingua franca is English and everyone is expected to use that in a fashion that each party understands. If people yell at you and point a gun towards you a normal human would understand that not everything is ok even if they don't speak the same language.

I'm fairly sure atm the rules are that your character's have to speak english. From a role-play standpoint, I don't see any problem with it. I honestly wouldn't expect every native cherno-russian to speak enough English to communicate.

I think the problem lies in a few things things:

A. Like you said, people may get frustrated that they don't know what you mean

B. You can't expect people to react according to what your trying to portray; in other words, it extremely limits what your character can do (not exactly a problem if you RP it right)

C. It's really hard not to metagame, as you can obviously understand everything people are saying to you, while your in-game character can't.

D. If you don't understand English, it complicates situations. If somebody initiates on you, you technically wouldn't understand what your saying, and you wouldn't comply. It would really make hostile situations a headache for the other side.

While from a RP standpoint it makes seance, situations can arise in-game that really do require you to understand English. Otherwise, it just creates more problems then the idea is worth. Like the above stated, you would need a basic understanding in order to smoothly go through situations like initiations in-game.

Guest Icy

Was actualy considering doing something similar a while ago, but with a native Chernarussian farmer that survived due to his farm being in the middle of nowhere etc

The reason I personaly never did it is that I was afraid that if I didn't RP it 10/10wouldbangagain people could take it as trolling, or bad RP

I'm pretty sure you'll have some great RP experiences as people should try to communicate with you in multiple RP ways, but there will be a bunch of people that will abuse the fact you don't understand what they're saying, to initiate and kill you while IC you got no idea what's going on.

Now, rules will be weird here, as they state that the victim must acknowledge the fact that the robber has hostile intentions, so the robber cannot shoot you for not complying as you dont understand him and his intentions. Then again, it could be considered powergaming/ruleplay on your side, as you force everyone else to not touch you due to the rule protection, while realisticaly you'd shoot the guy even if he doesn't understand a word

Note: just to clear things up, by "you" I'm not reffering to anyone personaly

I think this is not appropriate for the dayzrp environment because of the limitations of the Arma engine.

Allow me to give an example:

In the real world, two persons unable to communicate verbally would atempt to communicate in other ways.

Drawing in the sand, body language, facial expressions, tone.

Most of these are not possible in the game, and this is why I think that while the idea is amusing, it will no be very fun because the alternative means of communication are not possible to achieve.

I think this is not appropriate for the dayzrp environment because of the limitations of the Arma engine.

Allow me to give an example:

In the real world, two persons unable to communicate verbally would atempt to communicate in other ways.

Drawing in the sand, body language, facial expressions, tone.

Most of these are not possible in the game, and this is why I think that while the idea is amusing, it will no be very fun because the alternative means of communication are not possible to achieve.

Well this is why we have text RP as well, there is plenty of ways to communicate through text; like you said yourself you could type something like: *Draws an angry looking man with a gun pointed at a sad man* etc etc, but I don't think it's inappropriate at all, it can be very fun sometimes if done correctly.

EDIT: A great example would be the guy who is a mute, he runs around with a whiteboard, pen and wiper and communicates that way, a lot of people enjoyed his RP.

I suppose it could work.

Then again, kind of hard to take seriously. Feel like comic relief, i guess.

I hope I run into this guy and he changes my mind.

It could be interesting but you may get shot a lot if you don't comply with bandits and I don't think yo wold be allowed to use the excuse "I don't know the language". But by all means go ahead.

I think this is very intersting, especially if you play out body language and signs with text rp BUT if you play a specific character, in my opinion, you should be able to speak/write in the language your character is able to speak.

In your case german.

If i would met your character with my german character and you would start speaking "[a] sort of typed and spoke gibberish in a German sounding accent along with bits of German."

then this would heavily affect my character as it wouldn't make sense for two german natives to not be able to understand each other(even with the different forms of german out there, you will still understand the basic meaning of the sentence and the most words).

I wonder how you would work around this then if you met a german native(character of course)?

A good fun way to get killed for non complience :D

Sounds like a fun risk to take.

OFC it is!

If everyone would avoid that and stay in the woods DayZ wouldn't be a zombie aplocalypse survivor simulator, it would be the man vs wild simulator :D

OFC it is!

If everyone would avoid that and stay in the woods DayZ wouldn't be a zombie aplocalypse survivor simulator, it would be the man vs wild simulator :D

You have a point, it wouldn't be interesting without some trouble makers around (those who don't comply) ;)

I think this is very intersting, especially if you play out body language and signs with text rp BUT if you play a specific character, in my opinion, you should be able to speak/write in the language your character is able to speak.

In your case german.

If i would met your character with my german character and you would start speaking "[a] sort of typed and spoke gibberish in a German sounding accent along with bits of German."

then this would heavily affect my character as it wouldn't make sense for two german natives to not be able to understand each other(even with the different forms of german out there, you will still understand the basic meaning of the sentence and the most words).

I wonder how you would work around this then if you met a german native(character of course)?

There is this one part of the German speaking world with a dialect so different from others that no other German speakers can understand them, but it is German.

I can just say that where Vilhelm came from is undetermined (since no one can understand him) and if I run into someone from actual Germany, I can roleplay that I'm from that area. Or if I run into someone from that area, I can say I'm from a different part of Germany.

Being a native German speaker and playing a German character as well, the situation would feel really awkward to me. I´m willing to accept your explanation, but I probably couldn´t deal OOC with the weirdness...no offense :)

Oh and btw: Is there a special reason for calling your character "Vilhelm"? Because the common name in Germany would be "Wilhelm"...never seen it spelled with a "V".

Being a native German speaker and playing a German character as well, the situation would feel really awkward to me. I´m willing to accept your explanation, but I probably couldn´t deal OOC with the weirdness...no offense :)

Oh and btw: Is there a special reason for calling your character "Vilhelm"? Because the common name in Germany would be "Wilhelm"...never seen it spelled with a "V".

Because sometimes my mind fucks up and I roll with it until someone catches on in order to not look like a fool xD

^^ That honesty is admirable.

Kasumi was going to speak Japanese at a time, although I thought it was illegal so I decided to stick with English.