Server time (UTC): 2021-01-23, 05:31
Sign in to follow this  
TheRealRyven

Recommended TV Series List [Add Suggestions]

Google Docs (Every Show Mentioned in Thread)

This thread will be used to compile a list of good & recommended TV shows, I will compile the best suggestions that are given into the initial post and if you provide a descriptive post with multiple TV show recommendations such as my post or the one given by Gijs, I will add a link to your post in the "Other Lists" section of my post.

If you use this thread and find a TV show that you end up watching, It would be really good to hear what you have watched & why you liked it.

1. True Detective

The lives of two detectives, Rust Cohle and Martin Hart, become entangled during a 17-year hunt for a serial killer in Louisiana.

2. Bates Motel

"Bates Motel" is a contemporary prequel to the genre-defining film "Psycho," and gives a portrayal of how Norman Bates' (Freddie Highmore) psyche unravels through his teenage years. Fans discover the dark, twisted backstory of Norman Bates and how deeply intricate his relationship with his mother, Norma (Vera Farmiga), truly is.

3. Fargo

A drifter named Lorne Malvo arrives in small-town Minnesota and influences the population with his malice and violence, including put-upon insurance salesman Lester Nygaard.

4. Under the Dome

An invisible and mysterious force field descends upon a small fictional town in the United States, trapping residents inside, cut off from the rest of civilization. The trapped townsfolk must discover the secrets and purpose of the "dome" and its origins, while coming to learn more than they ever knew about each other.

5. The Americans

Two Soviet intelligence agents pose as a married couple to spy on the American government.

6. Game of Thrones

Seven noble families fight for control of the mythical land of Westeros.

7. House of Cards

A Congressman works with his equally conniving wife to exact revenge on the people who betrayed him.

8. The Walking Dead

Police officer Rick Grimes leads a group of survivors in a world overrun by zombies.

9. Falling Skies

Survivors of an alien attack on earth gather together to fight for their lives and fight back.

10. Firefly

Five hundred years in the future, a renegade crew aboard a small spacecraft tries to survive as they travel the unknown parts of the galaxy and evade warring factions as well as authority agents out to get them.

11. Breaking Bad

To provide for his family's future after he is diagnosed with lung cancer, a chemistry genius turned high school teacher teams up with an ex-student to cook and sell the world's purest crystal meth.

12. Vikings

The adventures of Ragnar Lothbrok: the greatest hero of his age. The series tells the saga of Ragnar's band of Viking brothers and his family as he rises to become King of the Viking tribes. As well as being a fearless warrior, Ragnar embodies the Norse traditions of devotion to the gods: legend has it that he was a direct descendant of Odin, the god of war and warriors.

13. Black Sails

Captain Flint and his pirates, twenty years prior to Robert Louis Stevenson's classic "Treasure Island".

14. It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Four young friends with big egos and slightly arrogant attitudes are the proprietors of an Irish bar in Philadelphia.

15. Dexter

A Miami police forensics expert moonlights as a serial killer of criminals whom he believes have escaped justice.

16. Hannibal

Explores the early relationship between the renowned psychiatrist and his patient, a young FBI criminal profiler, who is haunted by his ability to empathize with serial killers.

Other Lists:

Gijs TV Series List #1 #2

iNrGise TV Series List

TightPants TV Series List

Bianco's TV Series List

Breaking Bad?

:troll:

Breaking Bad is good, which reminds me. The actor who plays Saul Goodman is in Fargo too playing the role of a cop.

Guest whitepointer

#Breaking Bad

As you can see by my avatar and signature, there is totally no bias involved.

The Walking Dead

South Park

Breaking Bad

Bates Motel (dont watch it much)

Vikings

Game Of Thrones

1.Californication

2.Dexter

3.Vikings

1.Californication

2.Dexter

3.Vikings

I don't know why I forgot about Dexter, but I will actually add that to the list, Californication is pretty good aswell, Glad it's back.

The Wire

Baltimore drug scene, seen through the eyes of drug dealers, and law enforcement. Also the best show ever.

The Sopranos

Modern day morality tale about New Jersey mob boss Tony Soprano, as he deals with personal and professional issues in his home and business life.

Deadwood

A show set in the late 1800s, revolving around the characters of Deadwood, South Dakota; a town of deep corruption and crime.

Six Feet Under

A drama series that takes a darkly comical look at members of a dysfunctional California family that runs an independent funeral home.

Sherlock

A modern update finds the famous sleuth and his doctor partner solving crime in 21st century London.

Arrested Development

Level-headed son Michael Bluth takes over family affairs after his father is imprisoned. But the rest of his spoiled, dysfunctional family are making his job unbearable.

Freaks and Geeks

A television show about two unique groups of teenagers dealing with life in high school during the 80's.

Oz

A series chronicling the daily activities of an unusual prison facility and its criminal inhabitants.

House M.D.

An antisocial maverick doctor who specializes in diagnostic medicine does whatever it takes to solve puzzling cases that come his way using his crack team of doctors and his wits.

The Shield

The story of an inner-city Los Angeles police precinct where some of the cops aren't above breaking the rules or working against their associates to both keep the streets safe and their self-interests intact.

Carnivàle

During the Great Depression, an Oklahoma farm boy and a charismatic minister learn that they are key players in a proxy war being fought between Heaven and Hell.

Luther

A crime drama series starring Idris Elba as a near-genius murder detective whose brilliant mind can't always save him from the violence of his passions.

Bron/Broen

When a body is found on the bridge between Denmark and Sweden, right on the border, Danish inspector Martin Rohde and Swedish Saga Norén have to share jurisdiction and work together to find the killer.

I've watched more but some have already been mentioned (Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones, True Detective, Boardwalk Empire, Dexter, Justified, Suits, House of Cards and Firefly).

Whatever you do, please do yourself a favour and watch The Wire.

I've watched more but some have already been mentioned.

Whatever you do, please do yourself a favour and watch The Wire.

Very good list, I definitely need to check out The Wire, I have heard so much about it, but until you mentioned it I had forgotten it existed. Sherlock and Arrested Development are also excellent series.

I will check out the others you have mentioned that I haven't watched yet too.

From my list, if you haven't checked out Fargo you definately should, it seems like it'd be up your alley, It's new as well and has some really good actors. Martin Freeman from Sherlock for example.

3. Fargo

This is a much newer series (only 2 episodes so far) which is about a drifter who arrives at a small town, and begins to spread violence and malice.

Thanks for this, by the way. I didn't know it existed. The Coen Brothers movie was amazing, so I hope the series will be too.

3. Fargo

This is a much newer series (only 2 episodes so far) which is about a drifter who arrives at a small town, and begins to spread violence and malice.

Thanks for this, by the way. I didn't know it existed. The Coen Brothers movie was amazing, so I hope the series will be too.

Haha just as you said that, I edited my previous reply to you to mention that you should check that out ^_^. I hope you enjoy it, It's new but my god it is amazing, one of the best new series I've seen for a very long time.

Haha just as you said that, I edited my previous reply to you to mention that you should check that out ^_^. I hope you enjoy it, It's new but my god it is amazing, one of the best new series I've seen for a very long time.

Haha, well, it's only recently I've watched True Detective, so I don't know if Fargo can trump that. :P

Also I'm far into Six Feet Under, which is another one of those HBO classics, like The Wire, The Sopranos, Deadwood and Oz.

I forgot two series by the way, because they were not on the IMDb list. They're actually mini-series.

Band of Brothers

The story of Easy Company of the US Army 101st Airborne division and their mission in WWII Europe from Operation Overlord through V-J Day.

Generation Kill

A Rolling Stone reporter, embedded with The 1st Recon Marines chronicles his experiences during the first wave of the American-led assault on Baghdad in 2003.

I said The Wire is the best show ever, but it's actually Band of Brothers. It is just perfect.

Generation Kill is also really, really good. It's kind of similar to Band of Brothers, only in Iraq instead of World War II. And it loses the "documentary vibe". Still based on real events though.

Band of Brothers is good, It was only last year that I watched that for the first time, I feel like I was late to the party.

Also, I've added your post as a link in the initial post, so anyone browsing can click it and go straight to your post as you have a very good list.

Seems familiar: Here

Qi! Hosted by Steven Fry its a comedy panel show where you actually learn quote a lot of interesting things! :D

Seems familiar: Here

That thread is a mess as you have to read through every single post one show/movie at a time, This thread I'm compiling a list and posting links from the initial post to detailed posts by other people, and this is specifically for tv shows only whereas that other thread has a lot of movies mentioned in it.

Guest Neri

Misfits. The first series specifically. Although episodes can go from really good to bloody horrible.

Spooks

The missions of MI-5, the UK's domestic intelligence organization.

Hercule Poirot

The cases of an eccentrically refined Belgian detective.

Farscape

Thrown into a distant part of the universe, an Earth astronaut finds himself part of a fugitive alien starship crew.

Jack Bauer, Director of Field Ops for the Counter-Terrorist Unit of Los Angeles, races against the clock to subvert terrorist plots and save his nation from ultimate disaster.

Stargate SG-1

A secret military team, SG-1, is formed to explore the recently discovered Stargates.

Rome

A down-to-earth account of the lives of both illustrious and ordinary Romans set in the last days of the Roman Republic.

Battlestar Galactica

When an old enemy, the Cylons, resurface and obliterate the 12 colonies, the crew of the aged Galactica protects a small civilian fleet - the last of humanity - as they journey toward the fabled 13th colony of Earth.

Tudors

A dramatic series about the reign and marriages of King Henry VIII.

The Borgias

The saga of a crime family in 1492 Italy.

Dracula

Series introduces Dracula as he arrives in London, posing as an American entrepreneur who maintains that he wants to bring modern science to Victorian society. In reality, he hopes to wreak revenge on the people who ruined his life centuries earlier. There's only one circumstance that can potentially thwart his plan: Dracula falls hopelessly in love with a woman who seems to be a reincarnation of his dead wife.

1. Revolution - 8/10

Based in America around something wiping out all the electricity in the world, and the struggle to survive after.

2. Vikings - 9/10

Vikings that are battling with each other and their quest for gold in the kingdoms of Wessex and Northumbria

3. Game of Thrones - 10/10

Medieval fiction about the struggle for power of many different characters.

4. Arrow - 9/10

A more realistic take on the comic book hero the "Green Arrow" which is almost all still based on the comics.

5. Falling Skies - 8/10

Sci-Fi series on an alien invasion and fighting back against it.

6. Band of Brothers - 10/10

Based on the 506th PIR in Normandy and onward.

7. Sons of Anarchy - 8/10

A criminal biker gang that deals guns and it's struggle to keep power in the town of Charming.

8. The Pacific - 10/10

Based on the American island hopping campaign.

9. Generation Kill - 10/10

A comedy/drama about the American Marine First Recon in the invasion of Iraq from the view of an American journalist.

10. Black Sails - 9/10

Based on the book "Treasure Island with Blackbeard, John Silver, etc. And their struggle to keep Nassau running and free from the rule of the British.

11. Hell on Wheels - 9/10

Building of the transcontinental railroad in America right after the civil war, and all the perils that come with it. That includes disease, robbers, Indians, and more. Accurately portrays the relationships between races and groups.

12. Strike Back - 8/10

Centered around the British intelligence unit "Section 20", mostly an action series with plenty of fights and battles.

13. The Walking Dead - 8/10

Zombie apocalypse and the struggle to survive.

14. TURN - 9/10

A new show on AMC based on the Culper Spy Ring during the American Revolutionary War.

The X-files.

Two FBI agents, Fox Mulder the believer and Dana Scully the skeptic, investigate the strange and unexplained while hidden forces work to impede their efforts.

Star Trek the next generation.

Set decades after Captain James T. Kirk's 5-year mission, a new generation of Starfleet officers in a new Enterprise set off on their own mission to go where no one has gone before.