Server time (UTC): 2022-05-28 14:49

Possible Arma2 heating issue

• MVP

So this Friday night I had a real scare. For a moment there it looked like my computer might've been permanently damaged from a heating issue or something. I figured I'd make this thread here in order to get some insight into potential solutions to the problem.

Question/Problem:

Recently I tried editing a file in the arma2 OA editor and while roaming around in the editor for a couple of minutes, my computer started to act weird. Suddenly my screen flickered, I had weird "pixels" all over it and then everything froze. It was a real hardlock, so I was forced to do a restart. But when trying to get back in, my operating system seemed to have been...damaged.

The pixel-screen was still there and scared the bejeezus out of me, as I thought my computer had been irreparably damaged by something.

However a Windows7 OS repair program managed to at least tempoarily fix the problem and get me back in, and here I am, writing this thread.

*edit* Rebooting the computer works and everything -appears- to be fine, but I want to know what this issue is before I go back into the editor, so I can avoid it.

Is the problem on the Mod or Standalone: Neither, this is not a dayZ related issue as far as I can tell. It happened in the Arma2 editor, and it happened very quickly, about 10 minutes of being ingame.

Does this problem occur on other public DayZ/ArmA/SA servers as well:

As far as I can tell this is not a dayZ related issue, as I was online in arma2 OA at the time.

How long have you had this problem:

An hour from writing this. I've never experienced anything like this before in either Arma2 or DayZ, although I have noticed that sometimes the fans work like crazy when I've been in the arma2 editor. Its weird, because I can play arma2 and dayZ(both dayZ mod and SA) without even the slightest problem, but for some reason it seems to go extra crazy in the editor.

I've had minor issues with spontaneous "hardlocks" before but never anything that has caused mad pixels on my screen or that has had my operating system scream that it has been damaged.

What have you done to fix this already:

I ran the OS repair program like it recomended and it got me online so I could write this thread. Im not sure if the problem is fixed but it doesnt seem unlikely that this issue could repeat itself. Hell im not even sure if I'll be able to log back into the computer properly after writing this, so I figured I'd take the opportunity to make this thread quickly.

I dont want to end up "melting" my hardware(I've seen heating issues before and this seemed similar) so some ideas on a potential fix or at least an explenation of the issue would be most welcome. Right now this "glitch" isnt just threatening my gaming experience, it seems to threaten the entire PC, and im reliant on that for far more then just gaming.

Hey Tomeran, this does indeed sound like a heating issue, do you know how to re-apply thermal compound? If so, re-apply thermal compound on both your CPU and GPU cores, this should be a really good solution, another thing you could try is, take a look in your PC Case, make sure your CPU and GPU heatsinks are clear of dust, if there is a lot of dust caked up in there, take some pressurized air cans and blow it out of there, that can cause some serious heating issues, eventually leading to permanent damage on your computer.

Also, if you could run Core Temp and give me some Screenshots when your pc is idling and under load (EG:When ur just sitting on desktop and when ur playing a game), I would be able to further investigate the issue you're having.

• MVP

The editor uses more resources than the usual game sometimes since it has to render much more than normal.

As for the issue it's odd, it sounds like possibly a driver issue? If the windows repair fixed it then possibly.

I would suggest running a couple tests, memtest, graphic benchmarks etc. give the inside of your PC a good clean too :)

• MVP

Talked to Dax about this too. My CPU is idling around 45-50 celsius, so it seems to be a CPU heating issue. Gonna do a thorough clean of the CPU fan, try to run Arma2 on one core(I was told that Arma2 is silly and run WORSE on my six cores then it does on one) and lower graphics settings to see if that combined effort is enough.

Thanks for the help folks. Hopefully this will be enough.

• Emerald

I would agree with the above as a beginning fix with thermal compound , this was the cause of similar problems on my old pc and is a cheap and easy fix

• Emerald

Talked to Dax about this too. My CPU is idling around 45-50 celsius, so it seems to be a CPU heating issue. Gonna do a thorough clean of the CPU fan, try to run Arma2 on one core(I was told that Arma2 is silly and run WORSE on my six cores then it does on one) and lower graphics settings to see if that combined effort is enough.

Thanks for the help folks. Hopefully this will be enough.

Arma only runs on a single core anyway. :P that's why it runs so poorly compared to other games

Hey, I had that Issue one year ago (more or less exactly how you decsribed it, weird pixel, a crash and from then on nothing worked for me.)

My Graphics Card got so hot, 20 seconds after restarting my graphics was to hot to fucking touch it, even tho it has a really ncie cooling system.

I was abled to use my PC in safe mdoe tho, even tho the pixels didnt leave.

It would be rather interesting to know what graphics you have.

My Solution to this problem after trying to fix it for ages was Upgrading my HD4870 to a nice HD 7950 :>

• MVP

Hey, I had that Issue one year ago (more or less exactly how you decsribed it, weird pixel, a crash and from then on nothing worked for me.)

My Graphics Card got so hot, 20 seconds after restarting my graphics was to hot to fucking touch it, even tho it has a really ncie cooling system.

I was abled to use my PC in safe mdoe tho, even tho the pixels didnt leave.

It would be rather interesting to know what graphics you have.

My Solution to this problem after trying to fix it for ages was Upgrading my HD4870 to a nice HD 7950 :>

Im running a relativly old Geforce GTX460. And its not the issue. In fact despite being somewhat old, the GTX 460 has run remarkably well and I've never had any true issues with it.

Having done a thorough inspection of my computer's interior I noticed a real thick layer of dust that seemed to be stuck behind the CPU fan, at the radiator behind it. I cant get a good look at it and I tried huffin'and'puffin, but im not sure I got the worst of it. Idle CPU temperatures are down to around 35-40 celsisus instead of 50 so there seems to have been some improvement, but I guess at some point I have to unscrew the CPU fan and do a proper cleaning, cant get to the dust otherwise.

I guess I could try the thermal compound solution as well, but I'd probably have to get some help from a friend with that, so I dont mess things up.

Truth be told im a bit of a technology fossil and know shamefully little about these sorta things. :D

*edit* Well shit, problem definetly not solved. Same issue just happened again, although im fairly sure my temperatures were fine. The computer may be wrecked due to previous overheating. :(

This time it took me 4 repeated attempts just to get online.

*second edit* Issue keeps repeating itself in various games. As soon as I enter any game, I get crazy artifacts across the screen and the computer hardlocks.

Guess it might be graphics card-related after all?

• Emerald

It most likely is GPU related if it's a visual problem. Have you tried starting your PC up normally without your GPU plugged in?

Ya, it happens a bit on my 560ti (BF3 edition :P). I added a some more cooling to my case and clocked it down a bit. I also got a new PSU and re installed windows, it never came back. Sadly I have no idea which one of those if any might have worked.

• MVP

It most likely is GPU related if it's a visual problem. Have you tried starting your PC up normally without your GPU plugged in?

Unfortunetly my motherboard doesnt have integrated graphics.

Recent developments can be summarized as:

From bad to worse.

While the graphical artifacts and bootup errors used to be spontaneous and only happen in gaming, today the GFX card really seemed to be damaged to the point where the drivers couldnt read the card correctly in bootup, which lead to countless bluescreens as I just tried to get into the OS system. This was previously solved by just trying again. Now I tried 10 times to no effect.

So this is not an arma2 or driver-related issue, it seems more and more to be a hardware fault with my GFX card as a result of overheating.

The only solution at this point(i've exhuasted just about everything else) is to buy a new graphics card.

I only managed to get back into the OS through failsafe mode, where I reverted the GFX's card to its basic driver version. Which in turn allowed me to run windows 7 with basic graphics(and consistent graphical artifacts in the background) but with sound and internet and such still enabled. That is how I am able to write this reply.

...yeah, things are bad. I may be able to borrow a tempoary GFX card on monday or Tuesday, but then I'll have to buy a new one. Either way, I'll be out of gaming action for a while.

• Sapphire

Well, it looks like you already have an idea of what has happened to the gpu and the other countless suggestions Chou got too, to fix it.

But Ihave to say, by the sound of your problems, a circuit might have been busted if it got overheated.

Lots if new gpu's have a safety feature that turns it off when temperatures get to high so the board is not fried.

Have you tried opening the cover for your gpu and checking on all the small lines on it?

Both front and back would be a good idea to check.

But if you are gonna get a new gpu, then that is just a waste of time perhaps.

Hope you get back in the game quickly. :)

Guest Vespah

Its hard to decipher if your problem is GPU or CPU. To be on the safeside, id give your PC an internal cleaning, clean the fans and remove dust from your CPU and GPU. Also, make sure your PC is well ventilated. My PC was getting so hot with 2 660s that I had taken off a side panel and propped a deskfan next to it to reduce the temperature by 5-10 degrees.

Also, reapply some thermal paste (You can pick Thermal paste up online cheap).

Like this here.

Hope I helped.

• MVP

Its hard to decipher if your problem is GPU or CPU. To be on the safeside, id give your PC an internal cleaning, clean the fans and remove dust from your CPU and GPU. Also, make sure your PC is well ventilated. My PC was getting so hot with 2 660s that I had taken off a side panel and propped a deskfan next to it to reduce the temperature by 5-10 degrees.

Like this here.

Hope I helped.

Everything so far points towards the GPU, due to the graphical issues. I've spoken to "tech support" and people I know, and they're 99% certain its the graphics card.

The graphical issues(the artifacts) now persist even in safe mode. Im sitting here typing this while having a "matrix line"-lookalike in the background. :D

To my knowledge, that's usually not something that happens with a physicly damaged CPU. But I am no expert.

I'll be doing a "physical inspection" soon-ish to confirm that as well as test with a different graphics card to see if it works.

Maybe I'll try the thermal paste thing too.

Guest Vespah

Like this here.

Hope I helped.

Everything so far points towards the GPU, due to the graphical issues. I've spoken to "tech support" and people I know, and they're 99% certain its the graphics card.

The graphical issues(the artifacts) now persist even in safe mode. Im sitting here typing this while having a "matrix line"-lookalike in the background. :D

To my knowledge, that's usually not something that happens with a physicly damaged CPU. But I am no expert.

I'll be doing a "physical inspection" soon-ish to confirm that as well as test with a different graphics card to see if it works.

Maybe I'll try the thermal paste thing too.

If you are wanting to try out GPUs, Amazon will give you a 14 day money back guarentee, and you can send them back free of charge (they will even collect).

Guest TehGreekGamer

Can you tell me your temps that you have? I had the same GPU and it overheated and died last summer. Have you done any overclocking?

• MVP

Can you tell me your temps that you have? I had the same GPU and it overheated and died last summer. Have you done any overclocking?

no I didnt do any overclocking, and my idle GPU temperatures were around 30-35 celsius, so not so bad.

Unfortunetly I didnt have temperature measuring software until AFTER this problem happened(Dax recomended I got Speccy) so I couldnt tell you the temperatures of the GPU when it was active or when the first problem occured.

Guest TehGreekGamer

no I didnt do any overclocking, and my idle GPU temperatures were around 30-35 celsius, so not so bad.

Unfortunetly I didnt have temperature measuring software until AFTER this problem happened(Dax recomended I got Speccy) so I couldnt tell you the temperatures of the GPU when it was active or when the first problem occured.

For instance my GPU reached 90Celsius when i launched a game. If you weird temperture on your its your GPU. You should check your CPU usage and its temperature too, if you see lets just say 25% and you have 80Celsius then something is wrong. But your problem as i can see right now has to do with temps.

• MVP

For instance my GPU reached 90Celsius when i launched a game. If you weird temperture on your its your GPU. You should check your CPU usage and its temperature too, if you see lets just say 25% and you have 80Celsius then something is wrong. But your problem as i can see right now has to do with temps.

I would if I could.

Right now I can only check idle temperatures, which only tells me my CPU temperatures are slightly above normal when idle. But the problems im having are not consistent with CPU overheating and hardware fault. Instead it simply must've been my graphics card overheating, there are very few other viable alternatives.

As soon as I try any game which could propell the temperatures up for that testing, the computer hardlocks and shuts down, along with a whole mess of graphical artifacts. There is no time to get temperature readings when that happens.

Gonna get some help today and try out an alternative card. Hopefully that'll sort things out.

Guest TehGreekGamer

I would if I could.

Right now I can only check idle temperatures, which only tells me my CPU temperatures are slightly above normal when idle. But the problems im having are not consistent with CPU overheating and hardware fault. Instead it simply must've been my graphics card overheating, there are very few other viable alternatives.

As soon as I try any game which could propell the temperatures up for that testing, the computer hardlocks and shuts down, along with a whole mess of graphical artifacts. There is no time to get temperature readings when that happens.

Gonna get some help today and try out an alternative card. Hopefully that'll sort things out.

I think the problem its your GPU. Have you had the problem when idle or going on the internet?

• MVP

I think the problem its your GPU. Have you had the problem when idle or going on the internet?

Nope. Only when in games. And yes, I think its the GPU too. ;)

So does pretty much everyone else I've spoken to.

Guest TehGreekGamer

Nope. Only when in games. And yes, I think its the GPU too. ;)

So does pretty much everyone else I've spoken to.

Good luck fixing dude, dont forget to clean your case and have good airflow in your case.

• MVP

I would if I could.

Quickly in regards to this - get a monitor which logs your temps then when it hard locks it will save the file with the last known temps. Reboot and look at said file to see temps when crashed :)