Server time (UTC): 2022-05-21 02:05

Buddy Program

Do you think the Buddy program is a good idea?  

31 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I personally see the DayZRP community more like a family than a place were people simply play a mod together. I feel this is a great vibe for the community to have and I feel it brings everyone closer, especially with all the events and discussions that people can take part in. The only draw back I see with this sense of family is that it can be daunting to become part of.

I remember when I joined the community everyone already seemed to know each other and this made it extremely scary to join a room on teamspeak, start a thread or even attempt to join a clan. As a newcomer I felt almost left out and had so many questions to ask but felt worried asking staff as the questions were usually trivial matters. Luckily I had a friend who was already part of the community and could answer these questions as well as show me the ropes (i.e which clans to avoid and where to most likely find other players ingame).

What I'm suggesting is that we install a buddy system for newcomers.

This would consist of a thread where people who wanted to show newcomers the ropes would post a sort of application.

The application would consist of:

Hobbies:

Reason to pick me:

Example

Hobbies: Snowboarding, Swimming, Listening to Music, Going to the Pub

Reason to pick me: You should pick me as your buddy as I'm a friendly, outgoing guy. I enjoy having a good laugh and know a lot about the clans and lore so can provide all the vital information you will need to stay alive. I'm very active on the forums so will answer any questions you may have and can keep you up to date with any changes and news to do with the servers or ingame relationships (i.e who wants to kill who).

Pick me as your buddy!! :)

This app system would allow newcomers (if they wanted) to pick a buddy in which they could relate to. The newcomer would simply PM the buddy they wanted and the buddy would simply write 'Taken' at the top of their app. Once the new player feels at home in the community they would simply tell their buddy and the buddy would remove the 'Taken' sign and they could be picked by someone else.

I feel this system would benefit the community and help integrate the new players into this family we have. But what do you think? is it a good idea or just a waste of space :P

Thanks for any feed back.

• Sapphire

Sounds cool, although I don't really see how it'd be implemented and well...

Sounds cool, although I don't really see how it'd be implemented and well...

I would imagine it being similar to the 'Free Agents: Looking for a group?' thread but perhaps placed in the introductions and farewell thread as that is the first place where most new players go. Its just an idea at the moment the logistics can always be done later.

• Emerald

Meh... The idea is there but it could also very well fail. Probably not very fun for the new commers having to 'apply' for a friend. That's kind of awkward. Also, what if the person who 'pick' you, isn't your type at all? Or maybe the newcommer that applied, that you picked isn't your cup of tea either, what do you do? Do you go all awkward and tell him you don't want to be his buddy anymore?

There should just be a more open room on TeamSpeak where some known community members who want to be part of something like this, hang out. Then all the new members can join and everyone just talk. If you suddenly get in a convo with someone you can both go to a private room and become friends.

Get staff to make a room called 'Looking for friends', have a bunch of people who want to, hang out there and everyone just talk to each other and make friends. Problem solved.

Meh... The idea is there but it could also very well fail. Probably not very fun for the new commers having to 'apply' for a friend. That's kind of awkward. Also, what if the person who 'pick' you, isn't your type at all? Or maybe the newcommer that applied, that you picked isn't your cup of tea either, what do you do? Do you go all awkward and tell him you don't want to be his buddy anymore?

There should just be a more open room on TeamSpeak where some known community members who want to be part of something like this, hang out. Then all the new members can join and everyone just talk. If you suddenly get in a convo with someone you can both go to a private room and become friends.

Get staff to make a room called 'Looking for friends', have a bunch of people who want to, hang out there and everyone just talk to each other and make friends. Problem solved.

I agree it could be hit or miss just feel there isn't much out there for people just joining especially with all the history that older member share. Just feel it would be a nice way to make newcomers feel more at home also to offer support for people who are not very confident but perhaps there are better ways of doing this.

We are all old enough to navigate the dark and twisted world of dayzrp, people don't need hands held to guide them through, we have a great staff team that is always willing to help if the new comers find them selfs lost, no need to employe more people to watch over the new people

• MVP

I don't think a buddy system is necessary. DayZRP is one of the most welcoming communities out there. Of course, we have our elitist groups and our assholes. But the majority are happy to help and welcoming to those who make an effort. Having said that, I have no issue with a buddy program, do I think it will work? Maybe. Over a long period of time? Probably not.

There is already a Looking For Group channel in the teamspeak for this exact purpose. People may argue that it is never used. So START USING IT. Otherwise, if you randomly bump into someone in-game and have a good time, then find them on the forums/TS. Group with them again next time! Want fast friends? Join a group or group idea! You will instantly have 1-40 new friends.

I don't think a buddy system is necessary at all. Do I think it is a bad idea? No. Go for it. It will be entertaining at least. :D

EDIT: I can't speak for other GM's and Admins so don't bother them with it, but if you enjoy the company of someone in-game and want to find out their forum name so you can track them down; let me know and I will do my best to find them for you. :)

• MVP

There is no buddy system in the apocalypse.

Not a bad idea, but sort of unnecessary. :P

• Emerald

Seems a tad unneeded for something like this to be added. We're all pretty nice and approachable people in this community (I like to think so anyway :P) so if they need help just ask. It's pretty easy to make friends in-game too.

I like it. Honestly it's hard for new people to integrate easily into the forums and what not due to all the well known members of the community. Honestly even I still don't feel like giving my opinions in threads because people seem to have their own little niche groups which is daunting. Might as well have it as it is optional and just nice to have.

+1 for trying to be friendly to new players.

I agree with Soren.

• Emerald

I agree with Soren.

There is already a "Looking for Group" channel which is basically the exact same thing.

• Sapphire

+1 Would love to help new people.