Server time (UTC): 2021-01-27, 11:13
Sign in to follow this  
AytonHunter

Shooting to Miss [S2M]

So, I'm a big supporter of the KoS rules we have enforced on the servers and believe they work wonderfully when people aren't taking ruleplay over roleplay.

I thought of a small suggestion for bigger firefights and encounters when KoS or Revenge Rights, etc. comes into play.

Shooting to Miss is when an RP event is played out in which two parties (or persons) engage in combat, usually of the gun wielding type, but instead of shooting to kill, you shoot to miss your opponent.

This is commonly used in RP, especially in shooters where the possibility of killing someone is all too high.

Now I'm not sure if this is how some people play anyway, but I think this would be a massive improvement on Combat/KoS/Revenge situations in which no RP is happening and people are just 'playing the FPS game'.

Here is an example of a situation I was in which could have benefited from Shoot To Miss:

Me and a few friends were sitting around a campfire north of Berezino with a Helicopter, when a Jeep comes up to us out of no-where. Scared for our lives, we ask them to drop their weapons and show us some ID.

Granted, we shouldn't have been hostile, but when a jeep comes flying towards you in the middle of nowhere, you get a little nervous. We check their ID's, apologise and hand their stuff back.

We make amends with said people and continue our conversations around the campfire, the said people now sitting outside the campfire or further back around us.

NOW, said people decide they want to take Revenge on us, which is fine as we had just held them up. Granted, we were nice enough to give their stuff back, but hey.

Here is where the problem lied though.

As me and my friends were enjoying roleplay around the Campfire, we are all immediately shot by the Said folk who took revenge on us.

I felt that this was cheap, as we were clearly Roleplaying and were in no way prepared for any sort of combat (especially being stuck in the 'sit down' position).

This situation could have been improved by the Shoot To Miss principle for the following reasons:

*If said people had shot and missed, we would have had a chance to run and escape, shouting back at the gentleman and witnessing a greater battle as they took our helicopter.

*We could have roleplayed out the fact that one of us was shot, and hence couldn't run or ends up being left behind. Being killed meant that we could do nothing to contribute to roleplay, and interrupted a roleplay situation that could have played out to be much more interesting.

*Hell, we could have even run into the woods, returning fire and fighting a crazy battle for a helicopter, eventually leading to more people showing up and joining in on an unstable war of human greed.

I'm sure there are many more great battles that could happen, which wouldn't end in killing the opponent as quickly as possible.

I guess my master point is that I think the Shoot To Miss rule would create more in-depth roleplay situations for a shootout, and maybe even get rid of ruleplay over roleplay altogether.

Thanks for reading!

(And just for clarification, the RP example I used did actually happen, but I spoke with the Gentleman and they were well within the rules.. although, as this thread states I would have preferred a different outcome!)

Guest neom

Shot to miss will never work, if someone shits at you what's the first thing you do if you are not hit, find cover and fire back and I'm sure the person firing back is not doing shot to miss, also a waste of ammo and time when you can kill the person you have the right to kill and claim the spoils -1

How would the people you are shooting at know you are trying to miss? Also why would people shoot to miss when then can simply kill you and take your stuff if they have that right? Surely shooting to miss would be problematic as it would just allow the other people an opportunity to kill you.

I understand it may allow a firefight to occur rather than a simple exucution but honestly just don't see how this could work.

I guarantee 100% people won't do this, they may not even care about their gear but its just human instinct to want to win, shooting to miss could lead to them losing the fight.

Hmm, -1 from me I'm afraid.

Somewhat alike Neom said, when can you stop?

Player 1 S2M.

Player 2 S2M.

Player 1 S2M again.

Player 2 kills.

I just don't think it would work out, and it would be extremely hard to manage.

In your scenario, they could have shot you in the legs or something along those lines. Shooting you because they had KOS rights is Bad RP and sometimes even punishable.

This is more of something people could do instead of an actual firefight, rather than an actual suggestion. To be completely honest, people won't do this. It's not a bad thing to go by. If you want to go an shoot to miss people than go ahead and do so. Just don't expect anyone to do the same.

Me and a few friends were sitting around a campfire north of Berezino with a Helicopter, when a Jeep comes up to us out of no-where. Scared for our lives, we ask them to drop their weapons and show us some ID.

Granted, we shouldn't have been hostile, but when a jeep comes flying towards you in the middle of nowhere, you get a little nervous. We check their ID's, apologise and hand their stuff back.

We make amends with said people and continue our conversations around the campfire, the said people now sitting outside the campfire or further back around us.

NOW, said people decide they want to take Revenge on us, which is fine as we had just held them up. Granted, we were nice enough to give their stuff back, but hey.

Here is where the problem lied though.

As me and my friends were enjoying roleplay around the Campfire, we are all immediately shot by the Said folk who took revenge on us.

I felt that this was cheap, as we were clearly Roleplaying and were in no way prepared for any sort of combat (especially being stuck in the 'sit down' position).

Your suggestion isn't really viable, as others said it would be difficult to determine when are you allowed to kill.

The situation you described is clear rule play over role play though and you should report it.

I meant in the sense that Events/Pre-agreed Firefights might benefit if people actually shot and missed.

It would make a fun change to how firefights play out, instead of Teamspeak focused conversations, you'd have people shouting stuff to each other, covering fire, etc.

This is a RP server, and I just think that Firefights could be more interesting if people were being realistic and actually missed a few shots for a while, instead of EVERYONE being a badass because they have a mouse and keyboard.

It would be more of an 'agreed' upon thing, to create a RP scenario.

For example,

"Team 1 and Team 2 agree to shoot to miss for 5-10 minutes. In this time both sides have a chance to RP the situation.

After the 5-10 mins are up, Team 1 & 2 agree over TS or whatever that S2M is off and you can now Shoot to Kill."

I'm not saying get rid of KoS, hell no, it's Arma, it's a Military simulation game so obviously combat is pretty solid.

But I think some RP events would benefit from this!

Again, just a friendly suggestion, please don't bite me head off! :)

Your suggestion isn't really viable, as others said it would be difficult to determine when are you allowed to kill.

The situation you described is clear rule play over role play though and you should report it.

I understand, hence the reason why I posted this to see what problems could be found in the idea!

Thanks everyone for clarifying your opinions on the matter! :D

Also, you may have seen someone post a Video called "Professional Assassination" which featured me and my friends getting killed by said individuals. This thread caused quite a stir-up , but in all fairness we were new and my friends had initiated on them so I guess it was fair.

Guest Otmel Strangler

When I play civ characters I frequently worsen my aim on purpose, even "forget" to load my side-arm etc. for the sake of RP. This backfired, if you'll excuse the pun, the time I sprayed a horde of infected while some dude was running up behind them.

Yes, it's probably more viable in situations with zombies, etc. xD

Either way, I understand why it won't work. Thanks for the feedback and discussion though!

No way. Take a look at Garry's mod Serious Roleplay, and you'll see why. Some people will abuse the hell out of it and just use it for their own good. NO.

I'd love to, but it's kill or be killed.

Guest BoobManReub

It's a great idea and it would be useful in game but it is impossible, or near to it to enforce. During the Osprey event Council used that sorta thing, and it made the ordeal a lot more enjoyable and exciting, aswell as adding to RP

That example was completely ridiculous though, where's the honour among RP'ers?