Server time (UTC): 2021-01-24, 05:12
Sign in to follow this  
Bianco

Territory Wars

Should this be implemented into RP?  

17 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

So this is actually an idea I came up with after playing Rome 2, which is land that factions "own". I am using that term loosely because with it would come obvious restrictions. An example of how this would look up on the map is this:

8ZaCodq

The way territory or towns/cities/etc. are gained, is by winning battles. I believe this would add more of an incentive to alliances, diplomacy, and war in general. A war would be announced and posted like this:

X clan declares war on Y clan

Alliances of clan X: A, B, C

Strength: 25 members

Reason for declaring war: Execution of a member

Now, when war is declared all rules are still in place, but when there is a battle it must be announced by the winning side. Battle announcement example:

Clan X has won the Battle of Pobeda Dam against Clan Y

Location of battle: Pobeda Dam

Time of battle: 12:00

Evidence of victory: (Proof here)

The incentive for land wars is more RP than anything, because of rules still applying to it like normal. In game you could patrol your borders, deny people access to the borders, etc. Think of it like a settlement, but with no walls.

Possible concept map on how borders might work:

hSST3jN

How much land that is gained or lost during a battle is up to the admins, but I think more then one battle for an entire area would make more sense as apposed to only one.

Guest ArcticStarling

Can all be done IF without guidelines, find a town , set up defences, impose your law on whoever passes and claim it.

It's an interesting idea. I still think its better to RP trying to own land then to actually have clan ownership. It kind of sucks for civs if a group who owns an important place is denying access to it, or being overly protective. As far as diplomacy goes, its already pretty important. It's quite hard to survive as a group without friends or cease fires (unless your SDS :P).

I like it, but I don't think clans should be able to set up defenses in a major people, or it actually might be better, I haven't made up my mind yet :P. All in all, I enjoy the idea and would like it implemented. :D

I believe this may have already been suggested, too lazy to find the link but I'm almost certain it has. It is a nice concept, but it just wouldn't work.

Edit: Suddenly became less lazy and found it here Turns out it wasn't exactly this but its the same concept, claiming areas for groups.

I strongly don't think this should be something left up to game mechanics. It's a shortcut to the real effort a clan would have to put in to take over an area - it would essentially be leaving it up to the game to tell people who owns what rather than have the clans RP it out themselves.. I don't know how successful they are, but I believe B17 are attempting to hold control over Cherno? You don't need mechanics for that. In my eyes, the less RP is defined or led by game mechanics, the better.

I strongly don't think this should be something left up to game mechanics. It's a shortcut to the real effort a clan would have to put in to take over an area - it would essentially be leaving it up to the game to tell people who owns what rather than have the clans RP it out themselves.. I don't know how successful they are, but I believe B17 are attempting to hold control over Cherno? You don't need mechanics for that. In my eyes, the less RP is defined or led by game mechanics, the better.

Claiming areas would take place on the forums and game mechanics would have no part in it.

Guest ArcticStarling

Claiming areas would take place on the forums and game mechanics would have no part in it.

It is not needed to claim an area over the forums. It is more fun to do it in game .

With respects to us holding Chernogorsk, it is great. We impose taxes, extract information and it leads to great competition from other groups with plenty of RP involved in game (Thanks to Injected) Instead just "we own Chernogorsk" over the forums.

It is not needed to claim an area over the forums. It is more fun to do it in game .

With respects to us holding Chernogorsk, it is great. We impose taxes, extract information and it leads to great competition from other groups with plenty of RP involved in game (Thanks to Injected) Instead just "we own Chernogorsk" over the forums.

I understand that, but I'm not sure how you could do anything in game to show players who owns what, besides maybe signs, which would mean constant updating.

Guest ArcticStarling

I understand that, but I'm not sure how you could do anything in game to show players who owns what, besides maybe signs, which would bean constant updating.

Occupy an area long enough. Tell people you run the place and your intentions. That is how, we have not made a single forum post about us running Chernogorsk and alo t know.

I understand that, but I'm not sure how you could do anything in game to show players who owns what, besides maybe signs, which would mean constant updating.

Pretty much what Arctic said - 'game mechanics' was the wrong choice of words on my part, what I mean is that there shouldn't really be any official system of ownership because nobody really officially owns anything. If anything that kind of forum detail promotes metagaming information, it's better to find out about it in character. Again, I think arbitrary official guidelines are too prone to limiting RP.

Roger. Putting a sign over something or a highlighted area on the map does not warrant ownership. Successfully controlling an area does. The Injected got whooped and we are fighting back for the city and teh right to call it home.

BoS were known for controlling NEAF. The Imperial Dragons own the island off of Cap Golova. I think the Volki are in the NW?

But only when the day comes that a player would say "Yes, the Injected own Chernogorsk" purely due to in-game action can it be "claimed" or "owned."

Example: People fight for ownership of the holy land. Several people feel they have the right more than others, and fight for that claim. However, it is the ones who actually are there at the end of the due to their fighting and support that can actually say it's theirs.