Server time (UTC): 2022-05-24 22:39

Choppers removed, really...?

Well, one of my first (or second :P) rage threads.

I hear that choppers have been removed and would really like an "Official Staff Feedback" on this.

The little I gathered is that it was on the issue of chopper crash farming etc. I mean, come on, this is dayZ, it is like it has always been.

For me the main reason not playing SA is:

1. Vehicles in general.

2. No choppers

In a realistic RP world like DayzRP there would always be groups able to fix up and fly both choppers and planes, and in a "massive" RP world like this those groups are needed.

So my question is what it was to begin with ; why?

The question has come up numerous times, and in my view, and most "pilots" out there: 1st. person only, YES. No autohover? GOD yes.

I think we just had a thread raising the chopper question in the commmunity, with the poll saying don't remove (can't find thread sorry)

So again, why?

And I'm not from the worst of the "chopper whoring clans.

Had a little discussion with Zhunk, and would gladly assist Tamaster in "updating"/flight testing a new airborne vehicle spawn list.

(That is more realistic than what we had).

Still dont't really see why chopper spawns was just removed when I am pretty sure the community just said "NO" to that particular action.

/Meta

• Titanium

Wait, wait.NO HELIS!!!??

• MVP

They just make it so easy for people to get geared anyway.

Wait... ROLLE WASN'T JOKING?!!!

PRAISE DA LORD!

and well... i am happy they are gone, now loot is somewhat harder to get. Crash sites take true dedication to find and camp hiding is simplified as choppers can't spot them instantly.

Also i made a debate about this

http://www.dayzrp.com/t-do-you-think-helicopters-should-stay-in-rp

And again, realistic in a real world to fix a chopper?

Oh boy! a main rotor in some farmers shed in msta! i can totally fix that Mi 17 as an avarage joe in a few minutes and fill it up with ordinary fuel thats been in some guys barn. SO REAL

• MVP

I'll say here what I have said multiple times since the wipe.

They are removed TEMPORARILY.

Revamped helis will be back VERY soon and be worth the wait.

The reason they were stopped from spawning for now was because it was straight after a wipe and it would of given a huge advantage to whatever clan found them first. This way for a couple of weeks everyone was on even footing in regards to gearing up.

Guest Vespah

Deemed as overpowered. Unfortunately, we cannot have everything that promotes RP simply because of the other ways it effects the game.

Choppers are massively overpowered in my opinion. Turn your graphics to very low, you can spot almost everything, other choppers, hidden vehicles and even tents. It would allow you to quickly traverse the map and you/clans would become geared straight away.

I think that the RP the chopper would bring would massively be outweighed by the abuse that comes along with it.

Realistically, if a zombie apocalypse had occurred, choppers would of immediately left. Also, if you find a chopper, you arnt exactly going to stay on a zombie infested chernarus stealing vehicles are you?.

*EDIT* After reading the above post, to aid my point, they are loud. They present problems in terms of initiation.

Guest magw33d

I can really see the RP in landing a chopper in debug, waiting for the server to restart and then farming every chopper crash on the server, then flying back to the same spot and logging out.

Oh wait, I can't!

+1 for removal from me, loot hoarders and spawn campers aren't welcome in this community, and this will be the only way to prevent mass hoarding like what has going on previous to the patch.

• MVP

I can really see the RP in landing a chopper in debug, waiting for the server to restart and then farming every chopper crash on the server, then flying back to the same spot and logging out.

Oh wait, I can't!

+1 for removal from me, loot hoarders and spawn campers aren't welcome in this community, and this will be the only way to prevent mass hoarding like what has going on previous to the patch.

If you land it in debug it will be deleted at restart ;)

But yeah, Helis are getting a overhaul before they return, they will (hopefully) be far less OP.

Guest Vespah

Oh wait, I can't!

But yeah, Helis are getting a overhaul before they return, they will (hopefully) be far less OP.

Ill believe that when I see it. (Not that I dont have faith in you devs), although the permanent removal of chopper should be down to a community vote.

But this is "reworking" the discussion that has been a million times before. I would want some "official feedback" as to why, and why un-announced. (as this is a quite drastic decision in my view)

@ Tam, you in Skype mate? (Regarding "new choppers")

Guest magw33d

I wouldn't know Tamaster, sorry but I've never tried it.

And once again; call them OP, but in my view helis are a essential part of the overall RP experience (even though i'm just watching them fly by).

And for everyone complaining about them beeing loot farmers, I guess this is because you meet them in firefights? Anyways, it is not that hard to get a chopper. But it take 4+ members and dedication on that particular task for a few hrs.

And I know that the official response is "gone temporarily2.

But I would still hate the response I know quite well:

When are they back?

-Soon™

• Emerald

I think it is better without helicopters. They are basically used for end game items and finding other vehicles.

• Emerald

I didn't even know they had been removed, let it be permanently or temporarily.

I must admit that I hope they are gone for good. Personally they are not just overpowered, but leave a weird role play touch on the server. There are a lot of groups and players that role play that they are 'stuck' in Chernarus, and it puts them in an awkward situation when they get their hands on a helicopter. What is their role play story for not just flying away from the country?

It's an awkward turtle.

Guest Likurja

Realistically, if a zombie apocalypse had occurred, choppers would of immediately left. Also, if you find a chopper, you arnt exactly going to stay on a zombie infested chernarus stealing vehicles are you?.

It does make sense I need to agreed.

• MVP

The reason they were stopped from spawning for now was because it was straight after a wipe and it would of given a huge advantage to whatever clan found them first. This way for a couple of weeks everyone was on even footing in regards to gearing up.

I would want some "official feedback" as to why, and why un-announced. (as this is a quite drastic decision in my view)

I answered that already :D

• Emerald

Please everyone read what tamaster has said multiple times since the wipe. They are gone temporarily and hes going to improve all aspects before putting them back in. Naturally he cannot please everyone but VTL aircraft will make a return soon. Be patient and in the mean while it took you 2 weeks to notice so you couldnt of missed them all that much.

• MVP

Also if you have any small specific suggestions to improve them (not just remove them) then feel free to PM me :)

I would want some "official feedback" as to why, and why un-announced. (as this is a quite drastic decision in my view)

I answered that already :D

I know, but worst case they might take quite a bit of time to get beck

(Unless you know more than me, which you do :P)

Still feel it is quite drastic, and a thing that should have been taken up with the community. The responses to this thread say the same.

Guest Vespah

And once again; call them OP, but in my view helis are a essential part of the overall RP experience (even though i'm just watching them fly by).

And for everyone complaining about them beeing loot farmers, I guess this is because you meet them in firefights? Anyways, it is not that hard to get a chopper. But it take 4+ members and dedication on that particular task for a few hrs.

And I know that the official response is "gone temporarily2.

But I would still hate the response I know quite well:

When are they back?

-Soon™

Have you read the above posts? I think alot of us can agree that the abuse outweighs the RP. Roleplay should always come first over anything, hence Roleplay over Ruleplay.

You can say "I guess that is because you meet them in a firefights?". But that doesnt matter. Its the other stuff too.

Disadvantages:

- Loot Hoarders

- OP In battles

- Easy to find Crashsites

- Easy to find Camps

- Cant be outrun (Most of the time)

- Too Loud

Advantages:

- It looks cool flying over.

See what I mean?

I'd say all of the advantages of the choppers are anothers man pain, they create an unbalanced aspect to the game where one man can quickly find most of the gear in the map.

Honestly if it's fun for you it's OK, i'm in favor of removal but more than happy if they are severely nerfed.

• MVP

I guess as a last thing before I disappear for an hour or so (home time from work woo!)

I would urge you to trust the staff team and the dev team in particular. I personally have spent about 10 hours total working on suggestions and changes to how air vehicles (not just helis) will work in RP in the future. Obviously it is not part of 1.3.4 (the current rolling changelog) but expect it the patch after that since it is a bit more work.

If you have any genuine ideas feel free to PM me - that goes for anything not just air vehicles mind.

The general idea though is to make them harder to obtain, less obvious to find stuff and also less OP in fights.