Server time (UTC): 2022-05-23 02:30

RP reason for hide in a tree or bush

Well I thought about what I'm going to say to some one if zombie punch with no effect when I'm in a tree or bush. well then i figure that maybe only when I'm close to a tree maybe I can climb on it and and then the zombie will try to hit me but I'm high on the tree.

well i didn't find a RP reason for bush hiding but maybe you can help me ?

Don't hide in the bush?

Or maybe RP it out since this is an RP server :)

Abusing game mechanics is against the rules is it not? its like getting outside of the firehouse through the wall on the ladder, You can RP climbing out the window but its still abusing the crappy mechanics of arma.

A stick would not stop a horde of zombies killing you....

Don't hide in the bush?

Abusing game mechanics is against the rules is it not? its like getting outside of the firehouse through the wall on the ladder, You can RP climbing out the window but its still abusing the crappy mechanics of arma.

A stick would stop a horde of zombies killing you....

Role play over rule play matt

I just say that the branches are hard enough to keep them back. Or that zombies are vegans and hate plants or are allergic to pine?

as Nihoolicous said just RP it out by saying something like the branches are hard enough to keep them at bay, or as OP said RP that you climbed the tree.

And BTW im jealous of your name :/

I just say that the branches are hard enough to keep them back. Or that zombies are vegans and hate plants or are allergic to pine?

as Nihoolicous said just RP it out by saying something like the branches are hard enough to keep them at bay, or as OP said RP that you climbed the tree.

You are using Role play over Rule play as an excuse to break rules? So if I climb through the wall I can call Role play over rule play and get off scotch free? No, There is no RP reason to sit in a bush get hit, and take no damage.

You are using Role play over Rule play as an excuse to break rules? So if I climb through the wall I can call Role play over rule play and get off scotch free? No, There is no RP reason to sit in a bush get hit, and take no damage.

climbing through a wall and sitting in a tree are totally different things, as Nihoolicous said above role play that the branches are keeping them at bay or as the OP said RP to climb the tree. Also when I have tried this, I have still been hit

As Matt said it's still abusing game mechs because I'm pretty sure eventually a zombie would drag you out of the bush but I'm sure you could attempt to RP it out

• MVP

No, They are both abusing game mechanics Ryan, they are both the same as in even if you RP you are STILL abusing armas game mechanics.

I'm assuming you make use of the fact zombies walk slowly inside buildings? Which is a game mechanic. And I'm sure you have an RP reason to account for it.

Now apply the exact same argument to hiding in a tree. I'll let you do the math yourself.

Guest Shadow

No, They are both abusing game mechanics Ryan, they are both the same as in even if you RP you are STILL abusing armas game mechanics.

I'm assuming you make use of the fact zombies walk slowly inside buildings? Which is a game mechanic. And I'm sure you have an RP reason to account for it.

Now apply the exact same argument to hiding in a tree. I'll let you do the math yourself.

How can you stop them from walking inside? That is a mechanic that no one can help.

• MVP

How can you stop them from walking inside? That is a mechanic that no one can help.

But people deliberately go inside buildings to take out zombies. You do it, I do it, Mattbro does it.

I'm not saying hiding in trees is alright, or even going inside buildings knowing zombies will walk slower, with the purpose to shoot them, but Mattbro's argument was flawed. Slow zombies in buildings is relevant. You can't be against hiding in trees and then shrug when it comes to slow zombies in buildings just because that's "accepted".

If we can come up with an RP reason for one, why not for the other?

• Sapphire

So, you would rather run away from the zombies outside, while aggrovating the rest of them, than go inside and take them out with a hatchet or something suppressed? Because its a game mechanic failure?

He i

Snip

No, How is that the same? You can't stop zombies from going into buildings, The OP said he specifically used it to hide from zombies.

I don't think I have actually done that while playing in RP, we would always be at desal or in cars at our camp, We hardly went into cities and I would always be afk anyway. I'm on phone, Gijs is toofast4me

So, you would rather run away from the zombies outside, while aggrovating the rest of them, than go inside and take them out with a hatchet or something suppressed? Because its a game mechanic failure?

You are contradicting yourself. So you would rather run around trying to kill zombies outside, than try and hide from them in a tree.

• MVP

You might not go into buildings with the purpose of taking out zombies, but others do, whether they realize it or not. And it's accepted. I'm willing to admit it's different from hiding in trees, as there is only one reason to do that, and there are more (and better) reasons to go inside buildings besides killing zombies, but it's a bit short-sighted to just brush it off as "it's abusing game mechanics" when other things are clearly accepted. That alone warrants a closer look at this particular case.

• MVP

I understand your point Gijs, but my point was that is no real RP reason to sit in a bush while zombies are attacking you

There may or there may not be. You could pretend you climbed in the tree. Seems fair enough. To be honest I haven't really thought about it. I'm fine either way. After all, one's true intentions of getting into a building can never be proven (i.e. did he do it solely to kill zombies), while even if you come up with an RP reason to hide in trees, the underlying OOC reason is still present and obvious.

I read in a different thread that the loremaster wrote; "There are alot of mechanics in arma that cannot be explained. Respawning is one of them and trying to explain it logically wouldn't really be possible." Something to that manner, I think this is pretty much the same gesture.

Don't hide in the bush?

Roleplay Explanation: you climb out the window of the Firestation. BAM, game mechanic abuse gone.

So although a majority of the people carry high tier weaponry, they hide like bitches in trees and bushes? Strange, I seem able to confront them head on with my SKS in a field.

On topic though, I don't think you can use the climbing tree excuse.

Handler.ashx?Size=M&ImageID=529

Attempting to climb this won't work. You will be stabbed to death by the pine needles. Hiding underneath may be plausible, but why wouldn't zeds crawl under it?

I say to myself that a zeds navigation is limited (and causes their erratic pathing), running into a building or using cover can camouflage you as a zombie has lost its target and begins to wander aimlessly around. They still follow the trail of your sound or scent. This will never cover the idea of hiding in a tree, so I avoid it.

Its not breaking the rules in my mind. But for the sake of immersion or actually pretending the zeds are a threat, please don't hide in trees (at least not around me) :)

It's easy enough to come up with a reason - my character guesses that the zombies have some inbuilt claustrophobia that makes them walk slowly when surrounded by walls. The same way he guesses that they have bad eyesight and bad sense of smell - the trees might cover this. It's good to keep it a bit of a mystery as to how it works. But if I do hide in trees I make sure not to do it long and I make sure that I'm actively trying to kill the zombies I'm hiding from, otherwise it makes little sense.