Server time (UTC): 2021-10-21 02:43

Clans and Race

Don't post here if you don't have anything to say regarding joining us etc... thank you don't come back.

Okay lets have a general discussion of this subject here. With the ongoing discussion about and recent events regarding racism on the server let us have a look at some of the clans that inhabit it.

Somalian Death Squad in their post on the Clans and Groups forum make several tasteless, cliched jokes which, from my experience tend to be directed at black people in the US most of the time. These are the fried chicken stereotype and the stereotype that black people often steal bikes, recently reinforced with numerous threads of questionable quality on 4Chan. Fine, but these are Somalians, and these stereotypes are about African-Americans.

We also have the Zeleno Crips, a group which advertises themselves as Chernarus' answer to the Los Angeles based gang, the Crips. So far so good. Yet again in their thread on the forums we find the same bike stereotype from before but a new one too, the watermelon stereotype.

Now, I'm not trying to tell people what they can and can't roleplay, but to me rp is about increasing immersion and realism, primary reason I'm here on this server. Even if Chernarus had a large population of indigenous black people, which it doesn't, it seems extremely unlikely they they would all use American gangland slang and be so self-effacing with western stereotypes in the face of a zombie apocalypse.

Also, one must consider how this looks to actual black people thinking of playing on this server. I certainly wouldn't've joined if two of the main clans were Swedes masquerading as petrol-bombing ginger hooligans and wife-beating leprechauns. It would seem to me a hostile environment regardless of what the rules said about discrimination.

Also, I feel it is important to note I don not mean any offense to these members of our community. As a noob it would hardly be in my interest to ostracize myself. I'm just trying to foster discussion and thought about how we present ourselves, and more importantly, how we present others. Thanks for reading.

Guest ElisBoii

Really, this isnt anything to be mad about... Its a game, and i dont think theyre 100% serious with the whole stealing bikes and chicken thing :)

S.D.S. Typical black stereotype is fairly annoying, I agree. It's publicly blatant racial profiling.

I haven't looked at ZC's page, so I can't comment on that.

Seeing as my roommate actually didn't want to play on this server any longer due to there being racist roleplay from SDS and other players on this server. (He's half African American, half white) I completely disagree with their "role playing"

Honestly, I just tell myself they role play "ignorant rednecks" because that's simply how they come off.

It's just pretty unfortunate.

Guest Samuel

There isn't a real thing called a "Somalian". A "Somalian" is something we made up and there is no stereotypic thing about it. It's all fictional. I think that you think that we're trying to be Somalis but that's not true.

You can be Somali but you can't be Somalian.

We as a clan created the so called "Somalian".

Guest Spesivtsev

Somalian [səʊˈmɑːlɪən]

adj

(Placename) (Social Science / Peoples) of or relating to Somalia or its inhabitants

n

(Social Science / Peoples) a native or inhabitant of Somalia

Guest Samuel

Somalian [səʊˈmɑːlɪən]

adj

(Placename) (Social Science / Peoples) of or relating to Somalia or its inhabitants

n

What i am trying to say is that you can't be "Somalian".

Somalian [səʊˈmɑːlɪən]

adj

n

So there's no such thing as Somalian pirates?? And they who decided to be "somalian" pirates aren't "Somalian" ?

Guest Samuel

Somalian [səʊˈmɑːlɪən]

adj

n

So there's no such thing as Somalian pirates?? And they who decided to be "somalian" pirates aren't "Somalian" ?

They are Somali pirates.

There isn't a real thing called a "Somalian". A "Somalian" is something we made up and there is no stereotypic thing about it. It's all fictional. I think that you think that we're trying to be Somalis but that's not true.

Well, your clan's creation certainly seems to have caught on!

Anyway, yes lets get back to the heart of what this thread is about. Hairsplitting, semantic back and forths!

Why does everyone keep forgetting about the Chernarussians... As for SDS, they're a mishmash of different Black stereotypes: African-American ones, as you have mentioned; Child soldiers (West African stereotypes); and obviously, Somalian Pirates. But in order to be truly Somalian, shouldn't they use Islamic names? I mean, Somalia is an Arab country.

• Emerald

This is Chernarus. A moderate climate probably on a shore of a northern part of Russia, could be west, could be east, but definitly north.

And this is the apocalypse, shit met the fan long ago.

What are Somalians doing here? This far from home?

• MVP

As Raptor said. They are a mish-mash of stereotypes. While their use of stereotypes is in bad taste I would not go so far as to say that they are acting in a racist fashion.

Their excuses for them are naive yes and not fully explained but give them the benefit of the doubt.

If they wish to play as West African/Somalian/Child soldiers using a black skin then let them. If they have a strong case for role-playing those characters I fail to see why anyone should tell them they are not able to do so. They have more than likely used stereotypes in the media to base their characters (e.g. the rebels from Blood Diamond spring to mind).

Are people really being offended? As long as they stick to their characters and not acting in a racist manner towards anyone they should not have a problem playing as they wish. Are people merely saying they cannot play black characters because they themselves are not black?

In addition, why are people suggesting that they have to change their names because said faction already exists in real life? Surely this is just another matter for them to decide on their own.

Hypothetically if the world had ended, these factions could name themselves after groups in the past that had the same ideology as them and could then change their manner to suit.

• Legend

Europeans, and especially Scandinavians seem to have pretty relaxed sensitivity about racial issues. As an American who has race issues shoved in his face nearly every day, especially now that we have a black president and a republican party that seems occupied entirely by racists, I have a slightly different view.

I came across the SDS thread in the Clans forum shortly after reading something about how racism isn't tolerated on dayzrp.com. My reaction: O RLY. Had I been black, or even partly black, or had close black friends, I'd have been shocked - offended - outraged. As it was, I merely raised an eyebrow and noted that Europeans and especially Scandinavians have a pretty relaxed sensitivity about racial issues.

• MVP

Likewise Sin.

I used to play with a Black British chap a while back and had to deal with a very big racially charged issue. He was a great guy and took it with a pinch of salt but we did have to deal with it. In the end we had to ban the chap as he was a bigot.

I grew up in Jamaica and was part of the white minority there so I feel like I have been desensitized to the racial issue from a young age.

While I admit that I did also raise an eyebrow when I heard of S.D.S, I do realize that they are a parody of stereotypes, which is sadly being extrapolated to being stereotypes of an entire race. It looks as if they are being stereotypes of the typical villains one would see in a film with African militias, rebels or pirates.

People should take it with a pinch of salt and not brandish pitch forks as if they are making a statement that all people of an African origin are Somalian pirates, and watermelons, etc, etc.

I can appreciate that some people are sensitive to these issues, more than others, but in the end there is always someone that can be offended by any statement.

All these guys are doing is bringing unwanted attention and raising their profile through shock tactics and bad humor.

• Emerald

There is a slight difference between racism, and just making fun of stereotypes.

Black people eat watermelons...??

I don't even know why this stereotype exists. And even if they eat watermelons, so what? Who doesn't eat watermelons? what did I miss in the racist culture?

Mexicans are often referred to as illegals, black people as thieves and white people as haters of everything.

I'm pretty sick of this "searching" people do these days. Every joke made based on a a race is taken apart and searched for racism.

As for Somalian Pirates...... bitch please!

Ever see those clips on the navy catching a few of them?

With their might rubber pirateship and rusty AK-47 rifles?

Those aren't real pirates, just rookies.

yarrrrrr matey!!

Recently found, off the shore near Cherno.................

p13_17777557.jpg

• MVP

There was a BBC documentary called Indian Ocean that partly documents Somali pirates. The chap even interviewed one: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-17914920

So as you can see the S.D.S characters are merely a satirical representation of what the media leads us to believe.

Off topic: If you get a chance, watch the series as it is superb.

Almost every Finnish guy is a rasist, since there is very little alount of minorities, we dont need to like them. I am a rasist, and i dont give a single fuck.

Easy dude. While I am not sensitive to these issues I don't stand for bigotry. I appreciate that there are many that view minorities and immigrants negatively but there is no place for demeaning any human being.

Somalians = Somalis. Somalians are people who live in Somalia, most from the north part and the capital, Mogadishu. Somali = All the people that lives in Somalia.

Learn that.

I wouldn't mind if it were actually funny, like jokes are meant to be. It just seems dehumanising and degrading. And certainly not the sort of environment I would want to be in if I were black, and not the sort of people I want to interact with when trying to play a game. I was thinking of donating to the server but more and more it feels like I'd be contributing to a fund for some sort of bigot clubhouse, so right now I'm looking for different servers to play on. It was nice being robbed by you all.

• MVP

In short : What Sumos said ! :)

My POV:

Wow, kinda didn't expect SDS to be any issue. Always treated their background as satirical approach to some stereotypes that are given to black skinned people. Idea of some clumsy,under armed Somalian pirates in Chernarus is hilarious. I'm sure the unfortunate stereotypes were only included to make the background 'more alive' ( how badly it would sound), they werent proposed as a base fundament for their formation (me thinks).

As far as I remember if there were some jokes, jokes that could be considered as 'racist' they were coming from people from community regarding SDS as a form of laughing at them due to being angry with them about their succesfull fights/robberies.

And to be honest - you are really angry with somebody for making a satirical RP background for a clan on 'RP' server of a game that is 18+ ?

Like somebody said before, this is also 'da internetz' and either you are ready for it or not, in current state it is idealistic to demand following some plain simple RL logics/fair behaviour in internet and simply you must deal with it. You can fight for it but be ready to fail :/

Plus, due to game being assigned to 18+ I also would expect people to be more thick skinned and not take matters too seriously. If they would openly insult black people I would agree with you. Although you may see their background as unfortunate still I wouldn't call it racist.

Another thing :

What is the aim of this thread ? Disbanding/forcing changes upon existing groups because they don't fit the land of Chernarus ?

If this would be a 100% pure RP server I would agree with you. But everyone (I think) can agree with me that :

This place should be seen merely as a playground for ANY RP at all in dayz world.

Rules etc. always only regulated gameplay in DayZ itself giving opportunity for ANY RP to take place. Role play is not forced but just simply,warmly welcome :)

• Emerald

moan moan whine whine.... be in if I were black, and not the sort of people I want to interact with when trying to play a game. I was thinking of donating to the server but more and more it feels like I'd be contributing to a fund ....whine whine whine

Don't be silly, you were never going to donate, but now you have found a reason to cause a debate by not donating because people are roleplaying Somalians who seem to have ended up in northern Russia for some reason.

S.D.S can elaborate? Did your mighty pirate ship took a wrong turn somewhere? How the hell did you end up in Chernarus?