Claiming Land?

Do you think it'll work?  

75 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think it'll work?

• Yes
    • Maybe - if implemented correctly
    • No

Rifleman    14

Now, I've had this idea for a while but I'm not sure whether or not it'll work.

What I'm suggesting is allowing clans/groups above fifteen members or so to 'Claim' certain parts of land that is theirs and theirs alone to place/remove sandbags and such as it allows player made camps to be made with the current gear available, tents, sandbags, etc. - sure this sounds a bit like Epoch minus the base building and trading cities, but it allows for an interesting mechanic with clan 'Outposts' if you will, providing sites for both RP and PVP between clans and civilians - also allowing potential 'neutral zones' for diplomacy IG between clans.

This would also attempt to prevent people from griefing these bases - I.e. removing sandbags and such - as they are damaging another clan's property - in the same way as stealing equipment or vehicles is considered hostile - providing a fair deterrent let alone potential punishment.

Let me know what you think!

EDIT:

Thought of a few early rules if this system goes through (Needs refining):

1) No claiming areas in/in the immediate area to high loot zones - i.e. airfields, right next to Stary

2) No Removing/placing entities from the claimed land unless in the Clan that claimed the area or with expressed permission from the Clan that owns the land

3) No claiming in Cities/Large towns (I don't know why you would with all the zombies milling around)

4) Landmarks can be claimed (i.e. Olsha hill, Green mountain, Devils Castle, Zub, Rog - Castles would be fortified in an apocalypse scenario - so why not?)

Feel free to add your ideas for rules!

Tiddles    0

I think this is a good idea!

Their would be a couple concerns in my eyes, such as; camping these areas, hoarding, more work for staff members to observe/oversee and do we really need this?

I like the concept. Clans could claim a PCB, and from there they can attempt to enforce the surrounding area as their territory.

I think having the locations allowed to be claimed to PCB prevents being able to loot cycle, and nobody with a sane mind would claim an infested piece of land as their base anyway.

Toska    0

The basic idea behind it is great. But there are a few flaws which Dead Survivor pretty much summed up.

But I will vote Maybe.

Maybe put a map of chernarus on the website where currently claimed areas can be seen. This would let people know who's where. Of course this should be seen as a sort of OOC but slightly IC information. Camping and the other problems Dead Survivor mentioned would be seen as meta gaming and/or ruleplay over roleplay.

I know that this is arguable with statements like "Yea, we captured that dude and he told us they roam this part of Chernarus. So we went there and ambushed them." I think it is comparable to attacks on settlements. If attacks are done too often, the whole thing will get canceled.

Sir Doctor    3

Reminds me of a plugin that I love to use on Minecraft, Factions. http://dev.bukkit.org/bukkit-plugins/factions/

+1 from me but this certainly needs to be discussed at length with a lot of community help. <3

Wunsleh    10

This is what happens:

Jbg claims stary. Sds pops up, knowing where they'll be. Firefight etc.

And this is how the rest of the game will be.

Sorry but no vote from moi.

Rick    19

I would say no as well. It would pretty much end up in enemy clans attacking this said land. Not really much of a point in "claiming lands". If you want to control an area, just RP it out. Black hats "claim" Black Hat Highway in a way, yet its not by right ours. Having claimed lands just doesn't make much RP seance to me.

Guest King   
Guest King

Think this is OP, gonna have to vote a no, dont see real need for it, also too many chances to abuse.

I would say no as well. It would pretty much end up in enemy clans attacking this said land. Not really much of a point in "claiming lands". If you want to control an area, just RP it out. Black hats "claim" Black Hat Highway in a way, yet its not by right ours. Having claimed lands just doesn't make much RP seance to me.

Sums up my view. It's pretty much a PvP encouragement if anything, if you really want to take over a territory just RP it out, that's way more realistic and logical than letting potentially problematic game mechanics do it for you.

Wunsleh    10

Black hat highway? :P

Ancalagon    0

Black hat highway? :P

Whats that, never heared of it ;)

Well people could claim areas at streets to put roadblocks there, like he said.

Basicly, if people want to make a camp, they should just create a pcb

TightPants    0

Well didn't the settlements held by clan pretty much claim land all ready? So a firm no from me. You want to have a camp, make a suggestion about an PCB or claim an existing one.

"I claim all of Chernarus. It's my motherland anyway."

In all seriousness. It would be interesting. PVP wise-there would be ALOT more of that. Land hungry people, grabbing PCBs and land, killing anyone in their path, clan fights. It could be a cause of alot of reports. Rp wise-maybe it could spice things up-clan diplomacy and politics for example.

I think it needs alot of work and polishing- then maybe, just maybd we could have something like this.

Harry    18

I dont think its a good idea..

All of it would become to messy.

And the reports would raise trough

the roof like other people are saying.

Its better as it is now.

Muntz    3

I don't really see why groups can't do this already. I don't even think that there need to be any special rules involved. If you have the resources and equipment, barricade stuff off with sandbags and whatnot. There are no restrictions on this at all. You can literally do it anywhere you want. TWS had a nice little set up at the Berezino hospital for a while. Like them, you might have issues with griefers, but if you have enough people involved and looking out for materials, it shouldn't be an issue.

Mikachu    26

No from me.

Way too unbalanced and ripe for exploiting

Guest neom   
Guest neom

this is a amazing idea and we were gonna try something like this out with nrf back in the day but I can see it if not done in the right way being done very wrong, I think when the s1 and s2 are split for settlements thats when it will it could be done properly but alot of rules would have to be inforced

Owen    16

No from me.

Way too unbalanced and ripe for exploiting

No one is stopping you from claiming anything you please. You better have the resources to defend your claimed land though.

I don't see why we have to make everything OOC. Don't we strive for more IC and less OOC? This suggestion is a step in the opposite direction.

I don't see why we have to make everything OOC. Don't we strive for more IC and less OOC? This suggestion is a step in the opposite direction.

I can understand why the OP is looking to clarify things OOC, especially as most grievances between clans turn into a bit of an OOC mess. That compounded with the want to stay on the right side of the rules.

This already happened with S-GRU bend which BHM now use to loiter around. As long as there's some RP reasoning behind it then go for it. I think the problem comes when you're using your clan power to stop people from gaining loot at hospitals, supermarkets etc.

I'd love to see people suggest more little PCB's around the map, places that are not walled settlements but merely little camps/outposts/buildings. For example a clan could claim a piece of land or a little rural town in-game with the aim to submit a PCB design to be used there in the future. We'd then see an IC progression of a clan being present in that area and then building upon it. I believe, as always, RSM were the first to do this with their pub in Berezino.