Server time: 2017-08-21, 12:20

Sign in to follow this  
RedrickJim

Roleplaying as a local without an accent.

Question

RedrickJim    0

So, I want to start roleplaying as a Chernarus local, and obviously Chernarus has Russian routes, so naturally my character would have an Russian accent. But I can't do it. I just can't do an accent, I find the whole idea funny, and I can't help myself laughing. I feel like if I roleplayed and used my normal American voice, people would think I am hiding something when I told them I was a local and either distrust me more then they should, or rob me for lying (they would likely rob me anyway).

So yeah, how do I get over this hurtle?

10 answers to this question

I don't see a problem with that, if you can't imitate the accent it's alright. You can always specify it OOC that you just can't do it.

As long as you can justify it ICly I don't see the problem. Maybe you learnt to speak fluent English from an American teacher? Maybe you lived in America. You can think of a dozen reasons.

Sin    114

Dogpig! Clearly you are not being true son of Chernarus!

True patriots hate of the Russian scum plague our beautiful land!

Czech is being Mother tongue of Chernarus! Russian is speak like mouth full of marbles.

//OOC - don't worry about it. You can say you emigrated at a young age to America and have lost your accent, and have only recently returned to the bosom of Mother Chernarus. A lot of guys in the ultra nationalist xenophobic CLF did the same.

RedrickJim    0

Czech is being Mother tongue of Chernarus! Russian is speak like mouth full of marbles.

//OOC - don't worry about it. You can say you emigrated at a young age to America and have lost your accent, and have only recently returned to the bosom of Mother Chernarus. A lot of guys in the ultra nationalist xenophobic CLF did the same.

I like this, gives me a solid umbrella excuse. Thank you.

Spotter    0

Everyone dismisses my arguments that it's a Czech culture, accent, etc. :(

pejay    1

My character is Chernarussian without the awkward Russian-ish accent.

My reason for this is simply that my character has been with the BHM for so long that he sort of lost his accent. I still have my Norwegian accent that i can't get rid off, so that will have to do :)

Mush    2

I have a Chernarussian character called, Segey.

He has a mild/deep Russian accent (best I can do) and speaks very basic Russian with words such as; "Hello," "Thanks," "Bye," "Yes," and "No."

It's not at all mandatory for you to have an accent, but in my opinion it makes it slightly more authentic and fun. It's up to you though - if you can, do it! :)

I'm going to point out that ImmortalHD (that one youtuber guy) actually played a native Chernarussian but didn't do the accent. In the end, there was nothing wrong with his RP about it, course someone pointed it out, he replied pretty simply saying: "Yeah... I go in and out."

Something like that at least, the others weren't bothered by it. I wouldn't be bothered either.