Server time: 2017-08-20, 06:03

Sign in to follow this  
Tamaster92

H1Z1 - New zombie survival MMO from SOE (makers of planetside and everquest)

Tamaster92    14

First of all here is a link from the game director (I think)

http://www.reddit.com/r/h1z1/comments/22niku/what_is_h1z1/

It tells you all about the game and includes some screenshots.

And here is a pre-alpha gameplay video.

[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lneZYriSbG4

So yeah, its dayz but with a amazing crafting system, up to 2000 players, a massive world and deep player interaction.

ALL OF MY HYPE

Oh, and it goes into 'public' beta/alpha within 4-6 weeks

Owen    13

To be honest, so many people have been trying to cash in on DayZ success. Many have failed such as WarZ and some have been good. I hope that this isn't like the others that have come along and failed.

I honestly I hope this has potential.

Tamaster92    14

To be honest, so many people have been trying to cash in on DayZ success. Many have failed such as WarZ and some have been good. I hope that this isn't like the others that have come along and failed.

I honestly I hope this has potential.

Aye, I will wait and see what it's like when made public but planetside 2 and everquest next are both great f2p games so I have some amount of trust this be pretty good

A nice write-up with some screens from pcgamer too -

http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/04/10/soe-shows-h1z1-its-new-zombie-mmo/

Planetside 2 is my favourite FPS, it doesn't obviously have the realism of Arma but its amazing. I'm hoping H1Z1 does for the survival genre what Planetside did for FPS.

My biggest fear is KoS, with it being F2P its worth a try but I think it will turn into a post apocalypse deathmatch pretty quick.

*closes eyes and dreams of H1Z1 RP server*

MartinJ    1

It's supposed to be free to play - meaning it will be monetized via in-game purchases of pay2win items. Do not want.

Tamaster92    14

It's supposed to be free to play - meaning it will be monetized via in-game purchases of pay2win items. Do not want.

It doesn't mean that whatsoever.

Have you never played games like TF2, DOTA2, or LOL?

runewr    1

It looks good, I will have to give it a go when it gets out. Hopefully it doesn't turn into a massive deathmatch.

Tamaster92    14

It looks good, I will have to give it a go when it gets out. Hopefully it doesn't turn into a massive deathmatch.

The way he said multiple rulesets makes me think there will be PVP/PVE/amybe even RP servers

runewr    1

The way he said multiple rulesets makes me think there will be PVP/PVE/amybe even RP servers

Hopefully. If it gets like the WoW servers are, or at least something alike, it could work.

MartinJ    1

Those aren't MMOs based on survival. How else are they going to monetize this? Offer funny hats for sale in a survival sim? That's not going to make them any money. Far more likely to be plagued with the ability to purchase camouflaged clothes, weapons/upgrades, etc. I don't see any other way how they could make money from this considering there will be no leveling system.

Aaaand how many of those games host massive servers? There'll be in-game purchases of some kind just to keep the servers running, not to mention that they're going to want to earn a profit. TF2 wasn't F2P to start out with either.

Ego    1

Watched the stream of it last night, looked quite bad to me, looks like warZ with a lot of people in the world. The fact its a f2p puts me off even more because its going to be an obvious pay to win

Not interested at all but ill keep my eyes on it

Samaritan    251

One of those games that I will keep an eye on but will wait for reviews etc

Tamaster92    14

I really don't get how people are just writing it off based on their own presumptions which are founded on nothing but conjecture.

They could quite easily monetise by charging for private servers, the alpha/beta will likely require a buy in, and they can sell a TON of cosmetic items since it would help you show off to others IG.

Stop being so god damn cynical and wait and see how it ACTUALLY works instead of how your paranoid mind imagines it

Ego    1

I really don't get how people are just writing it off based on their own presumptions which are founded on nothing but conjecture.

They could quite easily monetise by charging for private servers, the alpha/beta will likely require a buy in, and they can sell a TON of cosmetic items since it would help you show off to others IG.

Stop being so god damn cynical and wait and see how it ACTUALLY works instead of how your paranoid mind imagines it

After the huge amount of poor zombie games, F2P and mmo games, I think we're allowed to by cynical, if anything its the best way to look at it, because you're then able to look at the flaws as well as the perks

Tamaster92    14

After the huge amount of poor zombie games, F2P and mmo games, I think we're allowed to by cynical, if anything its the best way to look at it, because you're then able to look at the flaws as well as the perks

Oh there are plenty of flaws I can see already - I just think raging at the business model is stupid when we know literally nothing about it.

You wanna complain then complain about how floaty the gameplay looks, how it takes a few pistol shots to take down a zombie, how they don't seem to be much a threat. Or ask how the player construction works FPS wise, how can a server stay stable with ~1000 players and a bunch of custom built buildings/towns?

Rolle    2450

They promised so many things for standalone too, look at it now.

Won't get hyped until I see a playable product. A lot of game companies have promised huge worlds with ability to create persistent player structures inside of them, very few have succeeded, the only ones I know of are Minecraft and Wurm Online.

Tamaster92    14

Won't get hyped until I see a playable product. A lot of game companies have promised huge worlds with ability to create persistent player structures inside of them, very few have succeeded, the only ones I know of are Minecraft and Wurm Online.

This is made by the people who made Star Wars galaxies - not the best MMO ever but is sure did deliver in the promise if player built towns and settlements, player driven economy, and other things also slated to be in this game

Hofer    20

Those aren't MMOs based on survival. How else are they going to monetize this? Offer funny hats for sale in a survival sim? That's not going to make them any money. Far more likely to be plagued with the ability to purchase camouflaged clothes, weapons/upgrades, etc. I don't see any other way how they could make money from this considering there will be no leveling system.

This is my main worry as well.

Tamaster92    14

Apparently it has fire propagation aka far cry 2/3 as well.

Kinda crazy.

^the above point is more than fair - personally I think it will be fine, SOE know how to make good games and I highly doubt they would make it really pay to win as it would lose them money, not make money

Reptile449    0

This is made by the people who made Star Wars galaxies - not the best MMO ever but is sure did deliver in the promise if player built towns and settlements, player driven economy, and other things also slated to be in this game

Holy shit I remember that game, some of the stuff they did with the economy and crafting was amazing. Combine that with their work on Planetside showing how well they can optimize large scale battles (Compare beta performance to now) and I'm sure they can create a decent survival MMO if they take it seriously and go at it the right way.

I'll wait and see what it's like, but it could be great if they don't fuck up, which we are all too used to nowadays.

Besphynx    0

I love games that try new things and try to bring something new to the genre, but to be honest I think the Zombie Apocalypse Genre has been over done after DayZ's success. Lots of games claim to bring something new that no over game has done in that genre but in reality it has already been done on a mod for DayZ :/

Also, I would love to know how this is going to be funded, people above me have mentioned things like the WarZ approach where you buy items which realistically, is probably going to be what they do but then again, I hope they did their research and found out that the community does not like things like that and if they do anything like what WarZ did, they are going to be hated by the community and the community are going to grab their pitchforks again and push the developer out of the Genre.

One thing that does go in this games favour is the fact that they can prove that the world will be massive and hold lots of people, just looks at PS2, that has thousands of people and on massive maps but then that leads into another problem, that been will the map be "Full" of things, such as shrubbery, trees, houses and what not or is it going to be some what unrealistic and just be desolate and that is going to be something that needs to be looked at. I would rather have a smaller map that is "Full" of things and that leads me to my next point. The graphics. I am going to be honest here and say that they do not look great, and what I fear is that they are going to put lots of effort into developing "new" stuff that they will look over graphics. Hell, graphics are not that important but if you play games like DayZ then they need to be some what pleasing to the eye because you do not want to be looking at terrible things in a desolate place for 30+ mins just to get somewhere. I hope they put a good amount of effort into the graphics because that can be a deciding factor for some people.

Also another point I want to bring up is that, Yes. Their servers can currently withstand lots of people been on them and can handle the size of the maps but then you have to think. The PS2 maps are pretty desolate and not too pleasant to the eye because all the graphics are just "Copy and Pasted" such as if you are on the Snow map then it is pretty much the same thing you will see if you ran for 10 minutes. Also as mentioned in the video their AI thinks on its own, that is good but does this mean it will affect the performance of the server drastically because there are going to be lots of players on a large map that will hopefully not be just desolate and that there will be hundreds and hundreds of zombies that need to be rendered in and then their AI needs to be processed separately from each other and I hope that their servers can withstand all that.

I also forget to mention the fact that there will be basebuilding. We have seen this already in Epoch and that can have some serious effects on server performance but that is because you can detail your base a lot. Now, what SOE will have to decide is that will they be able to accomadate for people that want to detail their base well and they can easily customise it or will there be "Presets", such as you have to build a foundation, from there you must select from say 4 preset buildings, from there you can only add 2 upgrades to your base and even then. How are they going to balance that and how are players going to be able to make a base. Will you also have to wait for things to be built or will you be able to buy Station Cash to speed things up and complete things, or even worse. Will you be able to actually buy the materials needed to create a base.

Overall, I will be looking at this game from afar and look at it from time to time but it does not appeal to me currently because of how saturated the Genre is.