Server time: 2017-10-22, 21:10
Safe Zone: OPENING SOON

Sign in to follow this  
Eluxa

Revenge Time Limit

Eluxa    0

This rule has been plaguing me ever since I started playing about 2 months ago.

Several people tried explaining to me the logic behind this rule and I still didn't understand. The rule states that you pretty much have an ultimatum of 2 hours to take revenge upon a person(s) who legitimately provoked you IC to wanting to kill them - for example, robbing or injuring you. The rule also gives the other party an ultimatum of 15 minutes before they could log out of the server, pretty much giving you 15 minutes to try and find them.

I oppose this rule, primarily because it contradicts one fundamental concept, and that is common sense. When I made this claim in TS, the explanation I received was that this rule is meant to prevent people from running personal vendettas that could last a while.

Why? What is so bad about trying to get back at a person who made your survival, as if it's not hard enough, even harder? I mean, it makes perfect sense that a clan that has made a habit of robbing settlements like Prud, could suffer from the consequences the next time they're seen in the vicinity of that settlement. It's not like these things are going to last forever, eventually one of the parties is probably going to get killed and then, the NLR kicks in.

Plus, this will give people a nice incentive to think twice before robbing someone. I personally haven't been robbed that often, but other people that I met were. IMO, right now, people are too trigger-happy when it comes to robberies. I mean, what's there to it? You just set up an ambush or follow somebody until you got them where you want them. After you're done, you run off and hide for 15 minutes and then log, then come back after 2 hours like nothing happened.

When you put it like that it sounds pretty lame, and it is. IMO this rule is rather redundant and needs to be changed, or removed all-together. I'm saying this purely out of a constructive point of view, this is NOT a rant. I've been a part of several RP communities for a few years now, some more serious than others, but none of them had this rule.

Please share your thoughts and if you could, give me a rational explanation for this rule and it's alleged contribution to Role Play.

Cheers.

Roman    0

I don't really understand, you want to be able to have KOS rights forever on someone?

Diggy    0

Unfortunately since it's a game there have to limitations to some extent. Otherwise we would have the "You robbed me last week, remember?" *bang* situations

Samaritan    348

If we allow KoS rights forever on someone who robbed you, what's the point in having a server that tries not to have everyone KoS'ing each other. Can you imagine how much reports would increase 'he robbed me 15 days ago so I killed him etc'. The whole point of this community is for the role-play, so get your revenge by initiating on them at some point in the future if its after the 2 hours.

I do understand it can be frustrating if they log after 15 mins, but just remember them and rob them yourself at a later date and get some good role-playing while you do it.

Guest Icy   
Guest Icy

No

Maybe change the limit that they need to DC, make it 30 minutes, but not KoS forever

Realisticaly you'd kill the guy as soon as you see him, hell, you may not even initiate, just kill whoever looks threatening

But this is a game, and having KoS rights forever is not gonna work

Wrong IDing, people dying and be on a new life, people getting revenge after 2-3 days, while the robber already forgot about it... A basic order has to be maintained, otherwise it'll turn into a KOSfest

Franz    0

If we allow KoS rights forever on someone who robbed you, what's the point in having a server that tries not to have everyone KoS'ing each other. Can you imagine how much reports would increase 'he robbed me 15 days ago so I killed him etc'. The whole point of this community is for the role-play, so get your revenge by initiating on them at some point in the future if its after the 2 hours.

I do understand it can be frustrating if they log after 15 mins, but just remember them and rob them yourself at a later date and get some good role-playing while you do it.

I guess he doesn't really want us to have KoS rights on the robber/s forever, but as long as both of them didn't die since their last encounter.

Diggy    0

I guess he doesn't really want us to have KoS rights on the robber/s forever, but as long as both of them didn't die since their last encounter.

The problem is how would you know if that guy hasn't died since he last robbed you? Maybe the timer needs to be longer than 2 hours, but either way, if someone has robbed you before and they are right in front of you, nothing is stopping you from initiating on them.

MartinJ    1

Why? What is so bad about trying to get back at a person who made your survival, as if it's not hard enough, even harder? I mean, it makes perfect sense that a clan that has made a habit of robbing settlements like Prud, could suffer from the consequences the next time they're seen in the vicinity of that settlement. It's not like these things are going to last forever, eventually one of the parties is probably going to get killed and then, the NLR kicks in.

It's not that you can't hold a grudge on them, it's just that after those two hours, you have to initiate before killing them, not just kill on sight.

Hofer    20

You can take revenge whenever you want, as long as you roleplay it out and initiate.

The revenge timer was lowered from 6 to 2 hours for a reason. This is DayZRP and if you really want revenge on someone after the 2 hours, roleplay it out.

Rick    19

I personally think its fine the way it is. Its no fun if you rob somebody, you ALWAYS have to be worried about getting shot in the back of the head by somebody. When people have KOS on you, it really deters from RPing and being punbic, as your afraid you'll get shot out of no where. Considering the goal of the server is a focus on RP, increasing KOS time wouldn't make much logical sense. I wouldn't lower the log out time either. Its important that people have a small amount of time to immediately retaliate, and give your clan mates (if your in a clan) time to avenge your death. imo rules regarding this are fine the way they are

Vassal    0

Why have the KOS rule all together? why not just make it so that if someone robs you that instead of being able to shoot them you have to RP and rob them back?

Also on the note of KOS forever; No.

Terra    1449

I dont see the problem with the current rule.

KOS forever? Please no. DayZRp would turn in only hours in a KOS server.

The revenge timer only refers to KoS. If you identify your enemy, without a shadow of a doubt, and they have initiated hostile actions on you for which you are granted KoS rights then you have two hours to shoot them on sight.

Alternatively, if you have identified them and can track them down much later you can enact RP punishment on them. If it was especially grievous then you could even potentially execute them, if done in an RP manner.

Eluxa    0

I wasn't aware of the rule only applying to KoS. You say that if the 2 hours are up one could still take revenge on someone as long as it is done in good RP? In that case I don't mind at all.

I was under the impression that if you failed to track down your assailant after two hours, then some sort of NLR kicks in. That's the main reason for me posting this thread.

As far as KoS rights go, I still believe that 2 hours are not enough and it should be at least 4, but that's just me.

DMZ    0

I know some very good RP. It's called 7.62 and it roleplays by splattering somebody's skull.

As of right now, you have literally no way to get back at a robber if they are part of *any* even moderately sized group, if you're not part of a bigger one. Initiate on them? Too bad, banned for no regard for life if he has buddies around you didn't see. Rob them back? Enjoy the 7.62 to the head from said buddies as soon as you tell him to drop, as Teamspeak is a powerful tool(good luck roleplaying when TS conversations are impossible to hear in game).

If I get robbed, I am screwed as a loner. It's as simple as that. I risk like five different bans by even trying to initiate on any half decent robber. Especially people like SDS, who will screw you over with ruleplay.

TomG    0

Especially people like SDS, who will screw you over with ruleplay.

DMZ, if you have a problem with SDS then take it up with them in private messages. Please keep little jabs like this out of discussions such as this.

DMZ    0

Especially people like SDS, who will screw you over with ruleplay.

DMZ, if you have a problem with SDS then take it up with them in private messages. Please keep little jabs like this out of discussions such as this.

It's not an issue with SDS personally, don't get me wrong. I just have experienced SDS doing this first hand, hence the 'like'.