Server time: 2017-08-17, 19:29

Sign in to follow this  
MartinJ

Anyone from Finland? Need help please

MartinJ    1

Guys

could you help me out? I need to know how to pronounce the first name "Jaana". I have a teleconference call with a Finnish company on Thursday and while I do have an idea, I'd like to confirm it.

In my mind, the J wouldn't be pronounced as in English (Jay), and the "aa" would make it long (i.e. Ja:). Then the "na" would also be pronounced "naa", but short.

My concern is especially about the J.

Also, if you can add any cultural information, especially concerning business deals and companies, that would be very helpful. All I know about you guys is what I learned from Ice Hockey. :)

DarkStyle    25

Well im not from finland but in estonia we have same name.Well you are right, dont pronounce J like Jay.Its Ja-a-na.If i get home in next 4 hours i will say it in teamspeak.

vivallion    4

I am a legit finnish, and Gjis is trying to screw you over. There's literally no way you are going to mix J with a Y.

Honestly it's really just how you are comfortable spelling it. My own name is Aki and people say it how they can, usually finnish people are rather understandingin a way.

Talk to me in teamspeak volki open freq in a hour if you need some help still.

MartinJ    1

I am a legit finnish, and Gjis is trying to screw you over. There's literally no way you are going to mix J with a Y.

Honestly it's really just how you are comfortable spelling it. My own name is Aki and people say it how they can, usually finnish people are rather understandingin a way.

Talk to me in teamspeak volki open freq in a hour if you need some help still.

I would have bet it's pronounced exactly as Gijs explained. that's interesting.

I will be at work for another 6 hours or so (only just got in, posting this from work). But I'll try to catch you when I get home.

Then I'm really interested on how it is pronounced. The only two Js I know is the J in Jay and the Y in Yeah or Yay (which is how the Dutch pronounce the J). Is there a third pronunciation I'm not aware of?

Dutch person trying to tell how Finnish should be pronounced...let me laugh a bit here.

I'm not trying to tell anything. First I said "I bet", even including a disclaimer I'm not Finnish, and then I asked for clarification because I'm honestly curious.

And I still am. TightPants, you are Finnish. How is it pronounced?

Also, to back up my assumption (because that's all it was): http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/finnish.pronunciation.html ("J is pronounced as consonantal Y in English").

TightPants    0

Dutch person trying to tell how Finnish should be pronounced...let me laugh a bit here.

I'm not trying to tell anything. First I said "I bet", even including a disclaimer I'm not Finnish, and then I asked for clarification because I'm honestly curious.

And I still am. TightPants, you are Finnish. How is it pronounced?

Also, to back up my assumption (because that's all it was): http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/finnish.pronunciation.html ("J is pronounced as consonantal Y in English").

http://hearnames.com/index.php?option=com_mtree&task=att_download&link_id=6588&cf_id=28

But I'd say it would go more to something like "Jay uh nigh" instead of Y

TightPants    0

Well... that's exactly how Gijs described it

He tried to pronounce it with Yay. You pronounce Jay and Yay differently. So if you start pronouncing something with "Yay" the whole word sounds different than if it would start with "Jay".

Jaana pronounced with Y will sound horrible.

And just like Viv said Finns are pretty understanding when people pronounce their names most of them don't care if you pronounce it wrong.

I tried to pronounce it exactly like that sound file. Not like Yay, but like the Y in Yay as in the consonantal Y as in the Y in Yodel as in the Y/J-sound of the sound file.

I tried to pronounce it exactly like that sound file. Not like Yay, but like the Y in Yay as in the consonantal Y as in the Y in Yodel as in the Y/J-sound of the sound file.

I guess you mean like the J in Ja and that's how i would do it :P

To me it looks like I would say it like it Anna but with a Y at start

Ja, exactly.

Ja, exactly.

Gut !

TightPants    0

That would be a completely different name.

MartinJ    1

That would be a completely different name.

No, that's exactly how the sound recording pronounced it.

Anna is pronounced "Aan-nah". Adding a Y would mean "Yaan-nah", which is almost exactly how the lady in the sound recording said it. So Jaana would be "Yaa:n-nah" (the first "aa" is prolonged).

Anyway, thanks for all the help everyone! Gijs was the first one to get it right, and confirmed my initial assumption. :) Thanks for the resident Fins for confirmation.

MartinJ    1

Good. I probably won't exaggerate it so much (it would sound out of place in the middle of an English sentence, I think), but now I won't cause a faux pas by calling the lady basically "Jane" (as in the English variant of the name).

The Finnish pronunciation is, funnily enough, pretty much the same as Czech (except for the extended aah).

If anyone has advice regarding communication with Finnish people (other than, don't talk to Tightpants if you're Dutch), I'm still open to advice!

TightPants    0

Good. I probably won't exaggerate it so much (it would sound out of place in the middle of an English sentence, I think), but now I won't cause a faux pas by calling the lady basically "Jane" (as in the English variant of the name).

The Finnish pronunciation is, funnily enough, pretty much the same as Czech (except for the extended aah).

If anyone has advice regarding communication with Finnish people (other than, don't talk to Tightpants if you're Dutch), I'm still open to advice!

There are only two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures... and the Dutch.

Drogur    0

Jumalauta J is pronounced the same way as Jaana J.

For me the Y suggestions is wrong.

This is a Swedish input if it matters.