Server time: 2017-08-18, 07:02

Sign in to follow this  
Misty

[GUIDE] How to make a clanthread with Photoshop

Hi my name is not Misty, but my forum name is, so you can just call me Misty. I am going to guide you through a few things that could be interesting for those who want their clanthreads to look more interesting, appeling and catchy to the eye.

Who doesn’t like to hear from others that their clanthread looks really nice? When we are done here and you follow my guide, the staff will want to drag you out of the clan ideas into the real deal. On the oher side, clans who have already been accepted might think “Hmm yes Id like to have a fresh new clanthread”or “Hey look, Misty has some good tips and we can use this”.

This guide can be useful in many ways, however, I will stick to the basics. Why? Well, I can of course tell you how to remake the whole NRF thread but one of the most important things, if not the most important, is that you stay unique and original. You will have to be original with your clan idea and your clanthread, well the last one is optional, but it makes you stand out so much and that’s what this guide is about. So you will want to be original with your clanthread and clan idea.

Of course you can just type some text in the thread when you make it and make alineas with different sections, but I think being creative and making a whole clanthread picture is really fun to do, let your creativity loose, and it will make much more roleplay sense to, for example, have letters written down that state your lore and story, instead of just the boring coloured text that the forum uses.

Most important is you have fun doing it, that’s what I always have and then you will have the motivation to work on it for hours and hours and then finally finishing it and looking at your little baby.

So lets begin with the basics of a clanthread real quick. When I talk about “clanthread” I basically mean the first post in the thread that’s made by OP, or, the owner of the clan. Not neceserrely the owner, but it should be the person who has the time to edit it everytime when things change (diplomacy, members, goals) and the official spokesman from the clan. That person should be the threadstarter imo. So this first post you make will be seen by anyone looking at your thread and they will get an idea about if they like it or not in the first minute. You need to make that minute count!

A few things that should always be in a clanthreads FP are roughly: A lore/story about why you are in chernarus, fitting with the main lore that Tomeran wrote. You also need to show the various goals/ objectives/targets your clan will have cause you have to be able to show everyone what youre about and what type of RP we can expect when we meet you, eg. Bandit or hero. Besides that you will need to show everyone your diplomatic relationships an optionally you can list your members with or without ranking system.

There might be one or two more things, but these you can find in the clan requirements thread! By the way, this part of the guide was not meant for people who already have a clan up and running, but thanks for reading anyway.

So now you know the requirements, the second thing is your theme. What is going to be your theme? AS examples of thtmes, for the NRF it was roughly “Survivors from Russia”, for SVR I used the theme “Russian spec ops” and for JBG I used “Chernarussian Western Family”. I created all threads and those were my personal themes I used to expand and create the thread pictures.

I always stayed within the borders of the theme, if you exceed those borders it would not fit or make sense. For example, placing a picture of an American flag in the SVR thread would make absolutely no sense. I cannot press enough how important it is that you establish what the theme is, so that will be your first step, not hard at all!

Since this guide is about he actual grapics of a thread, and not about creating an entire new clan idea, im now going to show you a video I made.

The following video I made starting with nothing. I looked at the clanidea section and picked a random clan out of there. Then I went to business. Its a speed up video, but you get the idea of how it's done. Time spent on it was approx 2 hours.

[video=youtube]

The finished clanthread of the video can be found here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/13424428/VGC%20tutorialpng.png

Now that you've seen my video, I'm sure you have some questions regarding how I did this and that. So I'm going to line up all the tricks/tips I can think about:

-When you make your file be sure the width is 760. This is Dayzrp's forums max. width. It will fit like a charm.

-When you need pictures, just google them! The best thing I found out is to google with the tag 'png'. Those images will not have any background and will save you the time of erasing it.

-When you want to change the size of something, select that layer and press ctrl+T. Then use your mouse to drag the edges while holding shift so the height/width ratio stays the same.

-When creating images, you can add a shadow to it, like I do in the video. To create a shadow, simply duplicate that image and make it fully black. Then go to blur and use Gaussian blur on it. Your edges will now be blurry. Place the black image under the original and there you go, you now have a realistic looking item!

-More tips will be added when I think about them! This is a WIP!

Some other clanthreads I made can be found below. They are all different themed, yet they kind of have the same style. Use them for inspiration if you like.

JBG - https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/13424428/jbg%20thread%20newest%20hofer.jpg

SVR - https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/13424428/890.png

SVR - https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/13424428/blabliebla.png

SVR - https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/13424428/SVRclanthreaaad.png

NRF - https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/13424428/niew.jpg

Major Tom    78

Really well made, Misty. Almost motivates me to make my own, but I'm lazy and it wouldn't look as good.

Awesome guide! Love the video too. Good work :D

Awesome, I enjoy making Photoshop threads aswell. I have a couple in my drafts only because they're fun to make :)

Good guide :D

Burgz    6

Dude, watching that was fucking awesome.

Really good job.

Did Mex actually update the thread with this? :P

Thanks guys!

Did Mex actually update the thread with this? :P

No not yet, but he knows ^^

MrDisGood    0

It's things like this that make it possible for noobs like me to even think of making a clan :P

Misty is the BEST! He helped me out more than he knows. Thank you so much and your guide is honestly amazingly well done.

Jess Newton    2

I am pretty sure Misty helped me out when I made Capone Crime Family he/she knows what he/she is doing

Sly    1

Great guide, this is one of the times that I wish I had photoshop.

Guest whitepointer   
Guest whitepointer

This will come in handy, good guide man.

SatansNightOut    105

Awesome. This is exactly what I was looking for. <3

Proxzor    3

Really well made, Misty. Almost motivates me to make my own, but I'm lazy and it wouldn't look as good.

I believe in your shitty photoshop skills.

Major Tom    78

I believe in your shitty photoshop skills.

Thanks babe. Good someone is rooting for me :D <3

Soren    0

That's freaking awesome. Might try and make one myself too. I love the shadows you make, they really really add that final touch to the things. Never thought of that. Great thread. :)

I wish the video was real speed though so I could see where you are clicking to make the different effects, lol. Thanks though.

Mr Bobby    0

Man this is really good! Really opened my eyes to how to make a good Clan page. Thank you :)

Vasily Malyy    10

This is terribly hard to do in GIMP and I'm never trying again.

That was like 2 hours of wasted time. Didn't even get halfway done.

cooptank    0

hey really nice video and guide. I'm probably not going to make one, that's because i'm new and alone, but yeah looks really cool. Great Work!

Glenn    10

Dat skills!

Silas    11

From an experienced "photoshopper's" point of view this is a great and extensive guide, good job!

Sign in to follow this