Server time: 2017-10-17, 13:26
Safe Zone: CLOSED

Sign in to follow this  
Tomeran

Suggestion: DayzRP "World Lore"

Do you approve of the creation of a world lore?  

104 members have voted

1. 1. Do you approve of the creation of a world lore?

• I approve!
    • I like the idea but with some changes.(please describe in reply)
    • I do not approve!
    • I dont know.

Tomeran    3

For a while now I've been working on a dayzRP "world lore" of sorts, that describes the situation in various countries across the world.

I've noticed that when people make up stories and clan concepts they often take a degree of liberty describing the world situation elsewhere. There's nothing technicly wrong with that, because there isnt a known world lore saying otherwise.

But the reason I created the official background and the lore in the first place was to provide -consistency-. This was enough when dayzRP's roleplay was confined in Chernarus alone. The situation in Chernarus and South Zagoria was fairly well known and with a background describing the essential details that worked.

But since then I've noticed an increasing "international" trend where people take their RP and origins from elsewhere. And this perhaps has increased the need for an established dayzRP "world lore" that helps describe the general situation in countries elsewhere outside of Chernarus. When so many people create their own stories describing things elsewhere, there is an increasing chance for inconsistency that can put roleplayer's interaction with each other on a colission course.

The idea and its problems

The idea is centered around having a big map displayed of the world, with answers gradually being given that describes the variying conditions and state of other countries. This information would for starters be fairly basic, but would over time become more detailed.

The real issue is how this knowledge could be considered IC knowledge. This was really easy with the official background because it merely consisted of the broadly most "known" information about the infection's first 14 days. Everyone could've learned that.

Once you go global however, things get increasingly difficult because global communication is largely cut. So there is a challenge in presenting this information in a sense that it can be properly learned ic:ly.

The potential solution

The CTC and the UEF could be possible solutions to that problem. Obviously there are survivors all over the world that frequently try their best to contact people elsewhere. There is no internet anymore, but there sure are a lot of radio's out there, some with incredible ranges.

The CTC and the UEF do not hold back on this kind of information that they'd learn of countries elsewhere, and could therefore be considered a "general informer" of this knowledge, perhaps primarily spread through rumours or radio broadcasts.(There is an upcoming CTC radio service soon, for example). The CTC and in -particular- the UEF certainly has the communications equipment necessary to recieve a lot of broadcasts from across the world.

Thus you'd gain an increasingly growing "world knowledge" that describes the state in which countries and its surviving populations are in. Although basic at first, this could grow fairly advanced over time, perhaps through small events and such.

Players influencing the "world lore"

I can forsee that a lot of people would be interested in saying their piece of how they think the world is doing. And I dont want to completly shut the door in their faces and go lore dictator here, so im open to the ideas of players coming up with suggestions for various nations. I would still need to approve it, I'll reserve the right to say no to ideas that I think are too crazy, but in this way people should be able to at least to some extent help "paint" the world they live in.

I can also take certain clan backgrounds in consideration, although that may greatly vary on a case by case basis.

The ups and downs

It isnt a suggestion without flaws. But I think it also has a lot of benefits(otherwise I wouldnt have suggested it :D). I'll try to list and summarize those that I can think of:

A more consistant dayzRP world

The big advantage that is the primary reason im suggesting this. When roleplayers follow the same lore, there is less inconsistency, and it makes RP interaction generally smoother. I'd like to think the dayzRP 2-week background helped a lot there.

This in particular could help make group idea background smoother and more consistent as well.

Creates roleplay?

As a result of these "broadcasts" containing this information, there may be some "bonus" roleplaying being created as a result. People sitting down by the campfire and discussing the recent CTC transmission that released the news about Norway, or how Bangladesh and India are doing. Things like that. Not the major reason I made this suggestion, but perhaps a bonus that could be the result of it.

More information = Less mystery

One clear downside with this suggestion, that could also in a sense be compared to how "open" the council now are, is that the description of the world would essentially mean it would be less mysterious. Although the information would, at least not in the beginning, not be detailed enough to actually present the countries in thorough detail(it would primarily be summarized information), this could be enough for some people as it would ruin their own view of how things were or the "mystery" of how things could've been.

A side effect could also be argued that it would "stifle" people's creativity, but personally I'll argue that consistency is exceptionally important, and that it'll only "stifle" creativity if you plan to take extreme liberties with describing the game world.

This is a bit of a bold idea and frankly, seeing how long I've been working on this, this poll is way overdue. I hope to see a constructive debate about this, and im looking forward to people's opinions.

Sir Doctor    3

New Zealand needs to be a paradise free of zombies and everyone relaxing on the beaches sipping cocktails and laughing at the rest of the world ;)

In all seriousness I think this is a good idea, although I think some countries "status" should be completely unknown so too still leave some form of "mystery factor"

Tomeran    3

New Zealand needs to be a paradise free of zombies and everyone relaxing on the beaches sipping cocktails and laughing at the rest of the world ;)

In all seriousness I think this is a good idea, although I think some countries "status" should be completely unknown so too still leave some form of "mystery factor"

Yes, definetly. I dont aim to create a complete world lore of every single country, that would be extremly overambitious. :D

Guest Astycc   
Guest Astycc

I like the idea, especially where like certain small, less known countries could have an unknown status, countries like Macedonia etc.

Great job, with some tweaks, this could add a lot more confirmation to RP and would be a valuable addition!

Guest ArcticStarling   
Guest ArcticStarling

Would like to see this, would like to see how the EU would combat the infection, would assume the southern members Italy, Greece, Spain ect would succumb to the infection while Germany, France and Poland would possibly work together. A Nordic lore would be beautiful and hopefully the UK and Ireland would possibly successfully attempt to quarantine the infection due to the lack of multiple land borders that countries such as the Czech Republic due to the sea . This in my opinion would warrant the UK /Ireland to be the first countries to start to help others and look to rebuild.

The lore would need to be divided up in separate areas for example Asia, EU , Britain/Ireland,Africa/Northern America, Southern America, Russia and Scandinavia.

Tomeran    3

The lore would need to be divided up in separate areas for example Asia, EU , Britain/Ireland,Africa/Northern America, Southern America, Russia and Scandinavia.

I would plan to divide it on a continental basis.

It would also be a colossal thread. I know people hate my text walls but there's no way around that this would include a LOT of writing. :D

Guest ArcticStarling   
Guest ArcticStarling

Maybe a seperate thread to reduce the wall of text

Mush    2

I like the idea and approve, good thinking, Tomeran!

Tomeran    3

Maybe, but that would result in the "world lore" being very spread out in a lot of threads. Might be more of a hazzle then to just have it all gathered in one place.

Im fairly certain I can "fit" all the world lore in one thread(there is actually a limit to how big they can be).

A different idea that might work is to have a simple "subforum" with lore threads. Otherwise the amount of "stickies" in the roleplaying forum would start to get...big.

Guest ArcticStarling   
Guest ArcticStarling

Maybe, but that would result in the "world lore" being very spread out in a lot of threads. Might be more of a hazzle then to just have it all gathered in one place.

Im fairly certain I can "fit" all the world lore in one thread(there is actually a limit to how big they can be).

A different idea that might work is to have a simple "subforum" with lore threads. Otherwise the amount of "stickies" in the roleplaying forum would start to get...big.

Is it possible to get a few basic bullet points on each continent to see how the Lore would be pieced together, or would you like to keep it as a suprise . Other than this I support the idea of this and the subforum for Lore.

The lore would require a few groups to change backstories which may breed some opposition. But other than that it has little negative effect on the server.

This is bound to require many weeks if not months to construct the world lore to a high quality. Hopefully it will be added to as time progresses.

Clintbet    0

At first, I felt quite positive about the whole idea until I came upon reading the downsides with it.

Less mystery

It might not sounds like much, but I reckon it'll ruin the immersion for quite alot. My suggestion for an idea would be to rather than having the whole world lored up, we could add lore to the very most relevant parts of the world. But how we'll find out which parts are most relevant? Shit, I'm clueless.

TightPants    0

This is one of those ideas that should have been there from the start of DayZRP just like the whole lore thing. I'd say let the information given be limited since not everything would reach people anyway. Also limit the amount players can influence the world lore, trust me it's for the best.

Clintbet    0

This is one of those ideas that should have been there from the start of DayZRP just like the whole lore thing. I'd say let the information given be limited since not everything would reach people anyway. Also limit the amount players can influence the world lore, trust me it's for the best.

As much as I'd like to see everyone having a piece of the cake, I'll have to agree. It might turn out as a mess.

Tomeran    3

At first, I felt quite positive about the whole idea until I came upon reading the downsides with it.

Less mystery

It might not sounds like much, but I reckon it'll ruin the immersion for quite alot. My suggestion for an idea would be to rather than having the whole world lored up, we could add lore to the very most relevant parts of the world. But how we'll find out which parts are most relevant? Shit, I'm clueless.

That is what we're gonna do. Im not gonna write a background story to every single country, that would take me a hundred years to do even with help.

There'd be a broad sense of information about the "most important" and bigger countries. I realize the most important tag there is a bit...inflammatory but I hope you see what I mean.

And in the end, there'd still be plenty of mystery. People would only learn so much. The primary purpose of this information would be to provide more consistency, not to explain everything in extreme detail.

TightPants    0

Less mystery

I'd say the relevant parts would be North America, Bigger European countries, Russia, China, Japan, India, Australia. Those in my opinion would be relevant in any cases. Places that would have sustained some sort of governmental organizations and would have long range broadcast capabilities and probably would be working together.

I'm wholly in favour of this (if you don't aim so ambitiously your hair turns grey while writing it) - as long as regular survivors don't find out much about the rest of the world. I like the idea of it existing for people's and clan's backstories, but the mystery still being there for people to RP out as there's no means of spreading the info to regular survivors.

MartinJ    1

I think it is better off left as a mystery and an unknown, up to interpretation of individual players - as long as it is treated as rumors. There should be no "one truth" regarding anything outside of Chernarus, and ultimately, there is not one truth to Chernarus either (i.e. AFAIK the lore doesn't describe how and why the outbreak actually happened). There are two factors that speak for this:

1) It opens up roleplay opportunities; I have met people who claimed to be US Marines and created stories about it. On my American character, he doubted this, it created some tension and interesting roleplay. It allows others to create characters with a free reign over their past without necessarily having to fit any other criteria than realism and believability.

2) The lore in itself limits the abilities of newcomers to be integrated with the roleplay story, as creating a Chernarus character essentially means reading the lore right now, a task not every newcomer will be too enthusiastic to complete. Limiting characters of other origins with an official lore is detrimental to even more players.

Overall, while I am certain you are more than capable of creating a worldwide background to our zombie universe, Tomeran, this simply is not a good idea.

Mikachu    26

I see exactly where you coming from with this but I'm unsure.

Many major clans have created backstory for their country of origin which is pretty much lore at this point. Would this conflict with that?

I think that if it harms anyone's current RP it should be incredibly carefully considered, the community is what makes this place so fantastic and some freedom to RP as they please really helps stoke creativity and specials things.

To be honest, I think that the argument of less mystery is a strong one. I feel that if a world lore is written I believe it would harm role-play. Many people would suddenly become aware of every single happening in these countries. Already in-game I've seen and heard people become incredibly aware of this council malarky, where in reality the average survivor in Chernarus would probably not care for anything more than their own life.

I rather enjoy the mystery of not knowing, I love to hear people's tales of what's going on outside Chernarus, these conflicting stories and conspiracies of how their home lands fell or lasted through the outbreak. It's a no from me.

Beeswax    0

It would make for an interesting read for sure, but I get the feeling there'd be too much of the 'Establishment' that survived the intitial pandemic. Which IMO would make leaving Chernarus too much of a temptation for a lot of characters to resist, while at the same time reduce the menacing appeal of The Council etc. If the worldwide situation is ravaged by the infection to a similar degree as Chernarus, then I think it's ok, otherwise I feel it would detract from the Apocalyptic vibe going on now, 18 months? after patient zero. Though, I'd enjoy reading the alternatives.

Tomeran    3

It would make for an interesting read for sure, but I get the feeling there'd be too much of the 'Establishment' that survived the intitial pandemic. Which IMO would make leaving Chernarus too much of a temptation for a lot of characters to resist, while at the same time reduce the menacing appeal of The Council etc. If the worldwide situation is ravaged by the infection to a similar degree as Chernarus, then I think it's ok, otherwise I feel it would detract from the Apocalyptic vibe going on now, 18 months? after patient zero. Though, I'd enjoy reading the alternatives.

Without going into too much detail, "ravaged" would certainly meet the definition that I'd be going for. I dont think you have anything to worry about there.

I see exactly where you coming from with this but I'm unsure.

Many major clans have created backstory for their country of origin which is pretty much lore at this point. Would this conflict with that?

I think that if it harms anyone's current RP it should be incredibly carefully considered, the community is what makes this place so fantastic and some freedom to RP as they please really helps stoke creativity and specials things.

I hope I can adress some general concerns by replying to this, as there does seem to be some reluctance.

The number of clan background stories that would be affected would be minimal. The true majority of them dont go into "foreign country details" to the extent where they'd be affected. I can think of a handful of examples that would be exceptions but I'd try to work with them as much as possible. There'd probably be compromises on both sides in order to get a coherent and sensible story out.

So in short, this would not conflict with that, not to any notable extent. The primary things that could conflict with it would be groups or individuals that have taken -very large- liberties in describing entire countries and continents. Most clans dodge that(otherwise they probably wouldnt be approved clans in the first place).

As for the stifling creativity issue, it is the same thing. The information that would be given would be so broad that only people that would take a lot of liberty to describe very large things would be affected. That is where the major inconsistencies problem lie and that's what the world lore would focus on.

This suggestion wouldnt shut people in a tight creative box, it would merely set some -very- remote boundries for them to follow.

Guest King   
Guest King

I think that the community should have the liberty to create their own version of it, though would like to see it. I would say make it but don't enforce it as the OFFICIAL have to follow backstory.

SatansNightOut    105

I can see why they made you loremaster, Tomeran.

But ass-kissing aside, I think this is a good idea---but only to a degree. Having at least a rough idea of what the rest of the world is like would be good to know, yet at the same time I think it should be kept vague, to allow players flexibility when it comes to their character backgrounds.

Perhaps we can come to a sort of consensus about what sort of status the major countries, or continents, are in---while still keeping it somewhat obscure.

Guest Shadow   
Guest Shadow

I have very mixed feelings about this.

They're several issues with such an idea.

Number one I think is fitting the council into the "world lore". Would they be some organisation that has taken over the world? Taken over Chernarus? How would we know?

This is one of many issues that I see arising. To be frank I don't think this will work out, not with the constant flow of new players. Individuals RP their backgrounds, many of which do so without even looking at the lore. Conflictions would be far too common without forcing everyone to read the lore and know it well enough to not cause these conflictions. Which would be nearly impossible to do might I add.

Great idea for sure and I give props to Tomeran for proposing an idea of such magnitude. But its practicality is just way too low.

Maybe, just maybe if we focus on VERY broad and general topics of information for the world lore then it could work. For instance stating which countries were hit first and how fast by the infection.

BUT not giving out any specific details (such as statistics of casualties).

Best of luck with this Tomeran,

You will need it!

Jukki    1

Finland rose and became the new dominant country, they stuffed all the zombies in cherno and now enjoy sauna vodka and sausages.

#BestStory2014