[POLL] CometChat - should we keep it?

Should we keep the chat feature?  

120 members have voted

1. 1. Should we keep the chat feature?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe, if some changes are made

Rolle    2450

So we've been using CometChat for over a week now and the time has come to decide it's fate.

Pros:

- easier and faster communication in the community

- chat rooms

Cons:

- slows down the website somewhat

- a noticeable lag or delay when sending and receiving messages

- some minor bugs

Please vote above and if you choose the third option, please post what is it that you would like to see changed.

Guest whitepointer   
Guest whitepointer

For me, I don't use it very much. However, I can see the pros of having such a system and believe it should stay.

Andrew    0

i say keep it but maybe only to contact staff members as it can be very useful for small questions and quick feedback. I also like what thumper said in TS earlier, that maybe if we keep it you have to add people as friends so you don't just see the whole server on at once.

Slute    1

I haven't seen a considerable amount of lag on the forums, so I say keep it.

The pro's out way the cons

Muntz    3

I just like the games. Get rid of the messaging, keep the eight-ball. :D

Clintbet    0

Voting yes because offast communication. And because it is a great tool to prevent new faces of creating a billion new thread each time they have a question.

Whitefur    4

I like it because it eliminated sending PMs to all my mates saying "Can you get on TS?"

Also I have not seen the website slow down considerably unless its on iPad in which it sometimes stops loading at all. Of course there are some people who might have a problem with it not working on the Apple master race but for the majority of PC and the occasional Linux user it should be fine

Burgz    6

At first I didn't like it, but being able to go offline is a massive positive. It's a fast and simple way to send messages, yes :D

Guest John Le Bear   
Guest John Le Bear

Personally I hate the current chat, its UI is horrid, it has clear lag and there is always a delay when saying that.

Do I want it gone? No. I use it daily even though it has huge faults in my opinion. I have helped numerous new community members in there, who would normally have to make silly threads. I have talked to many members of this community for considerable lengths of time, who I otherwise would never speak to due to the lack of ways to communicate easily on the forums.

Is there any other chat options that perform better? If so I believe they are worth looking into. If not, keep the current chat.

Is there any other chat options that perform better? If so I believe they are worth looking into. If not, keep the current chat.

IRC i think was the best! *Slaps Rolle with a trout*

Guest magw33d   
Guest magw33d

The inability to keep the chat rooms open while browsing the forum is the worst feature.

Rolle    2450

The inability to keep the chat rooms open while browsing the forum is the worst feature.

There's a "popout" link on the chat page. You can thank me later :D

Guest magw33d   
Guest magw33d

There's a "popout" link on the chat page. You can thank me later :D

ZOMG! Functionality :D!

Besphynx    0

I really like using the chat feature and I use it quiet regulary, it does have some issues such as the delay betweens messages been sent and what not but I can deal with that. It is a really good tool to have because you can quickly send people messages without cluttering their PM box and also it can help people contact staff quicker to get something sorted.

Also, the chat is a great place to meet new people as you can just send a message to anyone and start talking from there.

Overall, I think that the Pro's outweigh the con's here personally. Also, about the server lag, it is very minimal now, not like when you first introduced the feature.

Toorrik    4

As a community member, No... If people want to talk to me, they can do so on Skype, Steam, TS or PMs.

As a Staff member, Yes... I've helped quite a few people on it so as long as its used appropriately, I don't mind it being there.

WarMachine    11

I like it but needs some changes. Take away the useless things to make performance better.

Today I experienced some extreme problems on Chrome that I'm not sure were caused by the chat (but it sure seemed that way). When reloading a page on the forum it always freezed and sometimes made flash crash entirely. Other flash pages such as Google Music work fine (although obviously they freeze too when DayZRP freezes). That's what made me think it is caused by cometchat.

This all happened while I was chatting with someone for a quite some time.

I'm in internet explorer now and it's working fine.

Vassal    0

The chat system seems pretty cool and is fine in my opinion but I feel that if it causes an increase on performance overload then I would say get rid of it.

Ancalagon    0

dont use it too much but still, it's useful sometimes. keep it, didnt noticed a slow down. But my net is shit anyways

naury42    0

Keep it. Havent seen any website lags at all. Good for communication as well.

Owen    13

In all fairness I have never used it and probably won't. This is because I rather us PM system than this. Also since introduction of it, the site has become a tad slower and less responsive. I don't think no one has messaged me through this either.