Server time: 2017-10-19, 14:45
Safe Zone: CLOSED

Sign in to follow this  
Spotter

Survival Incentive - The Hunger Game

Spotter    0

This idea comes from a video I watched. It is not an idea of my own. I'm not sure if it is great in its current form, but I would like to discuss the potential that this mechanic could present to the game, and ways we could make it our own, ways it could improve our experience, gameplay, and roleplay.

Disclaimer: This would change gameplay in a big way. Bare in mind that this concept should not be rejected because of specific elements that are mentioned or proposed as examples. Everything is up for discussion, and I am seeking constructive collaboration in order to

improve our DayZ RP experience. So please do not dismiss this entire concept due to one small element that can easily be tailored and reconsidered. Thank you.

Core Concept

The core concept is that while your character is logged out, he still requires food and water to survive. During your gameplay, you gather food and water. You deposit it into a special inventory, and it will deplete as time progresses while logged out. For sake of example: two food and two drink per day. Failing to keep your character fed and hydrated over the long term will result in death of your character, which would be treated like any other death in DayZ RP.

What does it bring to the table?

Note Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs. In this diagram, you can see the theorized sequence of needs that human beings seek to fulfill. Only once a need is fulfilled can you move on to the next one (again, theoretically) There are exceptions, but for the most part, this holds true:

Click this link for an example diagram that was too blinding to put on this thread.

Once considering this theory, it seems a bit ridiculous that super soldiers are wandering the wasteland with a can and a half of food on them with zero concern of their next meal, trying to carry out the most profound and extreme of ideological objectives!

By increasing the need for food and water, the objectives of each survivor will be more concrete. Bandits will be after your food and water. Clans will raid and fight over resources (notice that this is why most wars are fought) Only groups will be able to successfully achieve objectives higher than that of basic survival needs.

Now, in a world where each person has a gun, it seems a bit odd to base our robberies, raids, and offenses entirely on obtaining better weaponry. Imagine being held up for food! This would bring a much more intense, gritty, and apocalyptic atmosphere to character interactions and player objectives. People would not resort to banditry because it was a moral path they chose from day one, based on their characters back story and previous lifestyle. People will consider banditry out of necessity, which is why most crime is considered and justifiable in the criminal's mind.

"Look man, I don't want to hurt you, just give me the food and walk away, alright?"

"You don't want to hurt me? We'll die without this! You'll be killing us either way, you're just too selfish and cowardly to watch it happen yourself!"

"SHUT UP! Shut the fuck up and just give me the bag! *so many bandit feels and guilt*

Problems that need solving, not bitching:

1. How would the food be stored while logged out?

-We establish a ration system. There can be rations for several timespans from days to even weeks at a time. They can be found in houses and military zones (supermarkets would likely be cleaned out of these useful packages). You can either happen upon them in your travels, combining them into a single, long-term rations kit, or you can craft it with a certain amount of sealed food and liquid.

-If the food had to be in your character's inventory, it would likely be easier to manage in terms of development, but it would be a very limited length of time before you would have to log in and restock at your tent.

-Should it be stored in the tents attached to your player ID? It could be stolen while you're not there, so you would need to frequently check your tent a couple times a week, encouraging that you stay near your camp and protect it. You would also feel a sharp feeling of guilt when you consider stealing food from a fellow survivor's tent. Could you be killing him by leaving him with nothing? Bum, bum, buuuuuum!

-The most unrealistic but easiest way out: it could be stored in some secondary, peripheral inventory much like your toolbelt, where only food can go there and you get loads of unexplained space for it.

-Any more solutions you guys can come up with?

2. How common should food and drink be?

-Do you make it easy enough to get that it's not a pressing concern or inconvenience to casual players? Does that defeat the purpose?

-By having it too rare, people will be ruthless to obtain it. Possibly even annoyingly so. I want the decision to kill for food to be that: a decision. It could be slightly more convenient, but only if you're willing to hurt others to get there.

-By having it too common, it would be almost pointless to develop if it was like "Oh yeah, and I also want your food because why not, there's that new feature that I should be safe, rather than sorry about. But it's not my first priority."

3. Generic balancing considerations. A number of things will need to be reconsidered and tailored if a mechanic like this was implemented. Such as:

-If food is made much rarer to increase its value and the urgency to obtain it, how would the rate at which you grow hungrier or thirstier in game need to be adjusted?

-If food was too rare and difficult to obtain, would it reach a point where players could not achieve more awesome, more fun objectives like bandit hunting, Council defiance and zombie cleansing?

I would like to thank you for reading this novella, and I would also like to thank my editor, and my girlfriend for inspiring me during the writing of this piece. This is the initiation of a discussion, not a proposition to be denied or accepted. Let me know what you guys think, and try to remain constructive.

Samaritan    344

I do like this idea, the only issue being is what do you do in the event of a holiday/vacation? Or if there is a change in circumstances like a house move i.e. no internet for a while.

Like I said I think its a good idea but there may be issues attached.

Nice use of 'Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs' by the way.

Wunsleh    10

What Samaritan basically mentioned. If there is a solution to vacation etc. this would be one helluva an idea.

+1 from me!

WarMachine    11

Very interesting and neat idea. I would love to see this so you get my +1

Spotter    0

What about rations?

Separate from food, possibly crafted by having a certain amount of canned food and fresh water, you can find/craft rations for a day, 3 days, a week, 2 weeks, etc. They only take up one inventory space?

EDIT: In other words, you could happen upon a rations box with 4 days worth of rations, a weeks worth, whatever. They can be split, combined, whatever.

Frimpong    0

Great idea, would be good to see decent people having to rob people for survival, rather than bandits just trying to get a better gun.

Spotter    0

Every villain is a hero in his own eyes. You may be stealing and killing from others, but you are providing for those you love in the long run. That is the kind of moral complexity I would love to see. Not a "I'm evil, I'm going to rob a lot." "I'm good, I'll never even give you a nasty look." It would encourage a lot more grey area character development.

Mikachu    26

Idea is cool.

Not technically feasible though - people who post suggestions need to remember this is ARMA, there is only so much we can do.

I'm all for making the place more believable and for people to act more realistically when it comes to supplies, but I'm not sure I like the idea of my DayZ character becoming a Tamagotchi where I have to care for it 24/7.

IRL > Games, sometimes I can go without a week of playing because of work or annoying people and their real life problems getting in the way of my precious RP, but I have to take priorities.

This suggestion was well thought out and had good intentions, but what gear a person carries is down to the individual. For this to work, food and drink will need to be a whole lot rarer, I can gather a months worth of food in a couple of hours if it demanded it, (and if I had the space to carry it :P ). People wouldn't rob for the food if they can just go to any town and gather several cans.

I carry plentiful supplies and junk items because that's what my character 'needs' (a razor to shave, 3 meals a day etc.), some play less immersive however. Its up to the individual.

tnkydoe    14

I'm all for making the place more believable and for people to act more realistically when it comes to supplies, but I'm not sure I like the idea of my DayZ character becoming a Tamagotchi where I have to care for it 24/7.

pejay    1

How about the people that cant play daily?

Me for example can only play maybe once a week, i couldn't be bothered if i had to start on a new character every time i wanted to play because i starved to death whilst not being able to play.

I know State of Decay was/is using a system where your supplies is depleted as time goes by, and it didn't really work out. Or atleast it didn't for people like me who couldn't play as often.

Also i don't think this would be possible in Arma as Tamaster mentioned above.

-1 from me. Idea has potential but it wouldn't be possible.

I can see where the idea is coming from bud and I really like it but this would make people like me who play sporadically and have a very varied schedule prone to having to start as a fresh spawn each time I log in. This means that my stories can't be as varied and that interactions are at a minimum due to constantly being on the coast.

I know what you are going for to increase the game's focus on survival but I don't see this doing that as you intend it to be.

Red    244

I do like this idea, the only issue being is what do you do in the event of a holiday/vacation? Or if there is a change in circumstances like a house move i.e. no internet for a while.

Like I said I think its a good idea but there may be issues attached.

Nice use of 'Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs' by the way.

Vacation/Hiatus mode. Simple solution for that.

A lot of browser based games have this function...

If it works on ARMA however, will just remain to be seen.

Ego    1

I like the idea but that would put me off playing, it would force me to play at times I dont want to, just to keep my character alive. I'd rather just play when I want to play. :)

I like the idea but that would put me off playing, it would force me to play at times I dont want to, just to keep my character alive. I'd rather just play when I want to play. :)

Valid point it makes it sound like a mobile game or a tamagotchi to try and keep him alive.

Spotter    0

Idea is cool.

Not technically feasible though - people who post suggestions need to remember this is ARMA, there is only so much we can do.

That I understand. I simply speculated that if the game can keep track of days survived and persistent inventory, we could link the two together and create something simulating this mechanic. That's a shame, though.