Server time: 2017-10-24, 00:28
Safe Zone: CLOSED

Sign in to follow this  
Frank Anderson

Campfires inside buildings

After reading this thread about fortifications and being unable to build sandbags, wirefence etc. close to buildings got me to think.

http://www.dayzrp.com/t-fortifications--40070

Wouldn't it be awesome to be able to create a fireplace inside buildings/barns and such?

In real life sometimes you would have to seek shelter and in order to stay warm you would ofc. make a fireplace. Imagine travelling through the night with some guys. It's raining and you are cold. You need to find shelter quickly. You stumble across an abandoned barn where you decide to make a campfire and rest up.. It would create much atmosphere/immersion and of course RP.

Played some epoch yesterday and you are able to create a fireplace anywhere you want as a part of the base building concept.

So I made up a scenario of it.(the 'laydown' is a part of epoch)

My question is if it's possible to do somehow and how hard is it to do? If it's not much of a trouble I would love to see this implemented.

What do you think?

Example 1

rv99id.jpg

Example 2

2vbr812.jpg

fxrvrn.jpg

rtzz0z.jpg

Guest Pandi   
Guest Pandi

I think it's a great idea, would love this to be implemented.

The only issue is, with things like this, there is always a downside to it. I could see people might use this as trolling and maybe even make important loot locations, un-lootable because someone has put something in the way or something like that.

But then, there is a big positive side to it and that comes brilliant roleplay. This community should be mature enough to not do anything like what I suggested above.

Therefore I give a +1 to this suggestion.

Mush    2

+1 - Panda sums it up for me.

I think if people do put fireplaces in the way, it'll be reported. Simple as that. In this community, it'll be stopped in no time.

Fridge    0

+1 but I can't see it being implemented because whether we like it or not trolls are everywhere.

Ghost of Levi    8

Id love to see fireplaces inside but consider the fact that smoke in somewhat smaller buildings wont escape that well so roleplay wise you should be affected aswell :P

Voodoo    492

+1

I like the idea and who wouldn't have a campfire in doors? Just watch out for the carbon monoxide keep a door or window open :P

Guest TehGreekGamer   
Guest TehGreekGamer

In a realistic side if you light a fire in closed area it will cause breathing issues and you can even die from inhaling the smoke.

-1 from me

Alyd    4

Is this possible? I was always under the impression that the placement system in DayZ bugged out if it was indoors. I suppose if we could use the Epoch system it could work.

However, having campfires in small wooden houses doesn't sound like the best idea to me, it would look a bit silly in anything smaller than a barn in my opinion.

+1 nevertheless, it will create a more survivalist feel if you stumble across a small indoor encampment.

Guest John Le Bear   
Guest John Le Bear

In a realistic side if you light a fire in closed area it will cause breathing issues and you can even die from inhaling the smoke.

-1 from me

This is my main concern, will people use it realistically?

I did this at a young age in stupidity with friends, it was not pleasant.

Anyway, if im correct the script effecting the fortifications is the same script effecting fire places, tents etc (anything placed by a user), so if its fixed for fortifications fireplaces will be fixed too.

Guest King   
Guest King

+1 Looking forward to something like this.

Owen    16

I don't think this would be a good idea unless the house has a chace of burning down. Then it would be great. Though on the whole I don't like this idea.

Diggy    0

-1 for me. Wouldn't make sense to have a lit fire in anything smaller than a barn. I feel the amount of great RP that could take place around a barn camp-fire isn't enough to make this a necessity.

Yuval    2

Tents in buildings naw!!

On topic, it would only work in large buildings, such as factory's and construction sites, barns etc... So unless it can be limited to those it's a -1 from me

Samaritan    352

I think its a good idea, but depends on the building I think.

MartinJ    1

-1 for me. Wouldn't make sense to have a lit fire in anything smaller than a barn. I feel the amount of great RP that could take place around a barn camp-fire isn't enough to make this a necessity.

I disagree. You can make a small fire in something as tiny as an apartment, as long as you take the proper care. It doesn't necessarily have to be a bonfire, even though the in-game feature does start a rather large fire. However, that's where roleplaying comes in - you simply describe the action as starting a small fire, and if anyone comes by you again in a roleplay manner (i.e. an emote) describe the fire to be contained in a small area.

-1 from me

Again, this isn't necessarily the case as long as proper care is taken. Obviously if I start a huge fire in my kitchen and close all the windows I am going to suffocate. However, I do have a fireplace in my living room. There's a chimney. And that's a huge fire.

Starting a smaller fire, which would be enough to light up the room and provide limited amounts of heat, would be completely fine with windows open. Again, something that can be easily roleplayed.

+1 but I can't see it being implemented because whether we like it or not trolls are everywhere.

That's not a valid argument to not implement this. To assume that any feature is going to be abused by troll would mean never implementing ANY new features, and also getting rid of guns and vehicles. After all, trolls are everywhere and they can use both. You could easily block the entrance to the barracks with a car wreck, for example, hell you can do it even now with sandbags and other barricades, but you don't really see people doing that.

Even then, it can be prevented easily by adding an option to "remove campfire" just like you have one with sandbags.

tl;dr:

I don't see any problems with this whatsoever, and it increases roleplay opportunities. Should be implemented ASAP if at all feasible. Get the developers in here :)

I disagree. You can make a small fire in something as tiny as an apartment, as long as you take the proper care. It doesn't necessarily have to be a bonfire, even though the in-game feature does start a rather large fire. However, that's where roleplaying comes in - you simply describe the action as starting a small fire, and if anyone comes by you again in a roleplay manner (i.e. an emote) describe the fire to be contained in a small area.

-1 from me

Again, this isn't necessarily the case as long as proper care is taken. Obviously if I start a huge fire in my kitchen and close all the windows I am going to suffocate. However, I do have a fireplace in my living room. There's a chimney. And that's a huge fire.

Starting a smaller fire, which would be enough to light up the room and provide limited amounts of heat, would be completely fine with windows open. Again, something that can be easily roleplayed.

That's not a valid argument to not implement this. To assume that any feature is going to be abused by troll would mean never implementing ANY new features, and also getting rid of guns and vehicles. After all, trolls are everywhere and they can use both. You could easily block the entrance to the barracks with a car wreck, for example, hell you can do it even now with sandbags and other barricades, but you don't really see people doing that.

Even then, it can be prevented easily by adding an option to "remove campfire" just like you have one with sandbags.

tl;dr:

I don't see any problems with this whatsoever, and it increases roleplay opportunities. Should be implemented ASAP if at all feasible. Get the developers in here :)

I agree 100% with your points! We need to hear from a dev and let them give their honest opinion!

Murdercool    29

Yes this would be great! +1

Yuval    2

Wanted to bump this, after being today in TP while it was raining and i tried placing a fire in some shelter from the rain, and i couldn't as it was near a prop/ building. It makes allot of sense imo.

Would be nice to be able to make campfires in building or having fire barrels inside some too. Even though it may seem pointless to have one in a building as they already warm you up, it will add light at night time making it more immersive. Sure we could use chemlights but it doesn't feel the same.