Server time: 2017-08-17, 02:05

Sign in to follow this  
McDugals

I felt I should put this out here.

McDugals    37

First off before I begin I want be sure it's clear that this is just an opinion and should not be taken as an insult to anyone. However I will accept REASONABLE and CONSTRUCTIVE responses. Thank you.

I've been noticing something on the forums in the short span of time that I've been on here. For the past couple weeks in my spare time I tend to lurk in the shadows of the Forum Report section of the forums. From what I've seen is that a small portion of SEASONED community members have been acting in very strange and unacceptable behavior. This past week alone I've read reports of blatant blackmailing and racism, and let's be real you don't need to be a cops son(me) to know that's fucked up(pardon my french).

Now sure maybe these player are frustrated in some way thinking they could possibly get some "Celebrity Treatment"(meaning getting away with it or receiving a lesser punishment because to the server's eyes you may be considered a celebrity. A real life example would be Miss-er i mean Mr.Bieber.). Now I personally do not donate on servers mainly because I don't stick around much. But if this server continues to blow my mind in aspects of story telling and character development, then I as currently studying in college game designer or SCGD for short, then I have found the land of milk and honey!

Now before I move on to my closing statement here is a reminder to all Veteran players. You guys are expected to act properly and efficiently, I'm not asking you to be perfect just try your best. And consider this, you in a sense represent this community just as a Captain of a sports team represents not only his team but also his school. Do not stain the good reputation this server's, owners, admins, and staff have worked so hard to maintain. Please keep that in mind when interacting with players

To finish this rant of a post I'd to reinforce a few things. NO, I don't believe all members are like this, YES, I find the system of punishment that the admins use is just and should be used on other servers, and Yes the cake is indeed a lie. Peace!

*******Also hopefully this is in the right place I apologize in advance to whom ever moves this in the forum it should be properly placed <3

Ego    1

I'm ex-staff, I have diplomatic immunity :troll:

Guest magw33d   
Guest magw33d

I'm just fabulous, through and through.

On a serious note, many of the more prominent members on this forum have helped sculpt the community, be it ex-staff or player, everyone has had an impact on how this community has developed.

Zhunk    2

Next person that posts trollish-spammish commetns will be warned.

Othuyeg    20

Now to be honest, I can not really see what you are referring to. If you see something like this happen, you might want to avoid calling it out in said thread as it could easily be seen as flame baiting and bad behavior. Especially if it happens in a report. Do not go posting anything irrelevant in reports.

What you might want to do if you feel strongly that you have spotted something like this is to write a detailed private message to senior staff. Remember to write it clearly and keeping to the point, with facts backing up your claim. (No unicorns, no robocops.)

Edit: saw zhunk's post, removed robocop riding a unicorn.

LumberJack    18

Next person that posts trollish-spammish commetns will be warned.

I hope that you did not take mine as trollish, I was being completely serious. Sorry if the warning leads to that belief.

McDugals    37

I'm not flaming, Im being serious guys this is an awesome community and I'd love to see it continue to prosper, this is an awesome server that has helped me when trying to find inspiration for my work. And I'd hate to see people who make this server be awesome get banned for stupid crap as listed above.

Guest King   
Guest King

Love the community, loved the staff, ect... I understand what you are saying, but the reason you are seeing it in the model members so to say is because that is all you are looking at, staff works a bunch to filter out the bad cookies so to say.

Guest Biiddy   
Guest Biiddy

-snip-

Again new here so I don't know the symbology of the term "-snip-"

Just means he deleted a previous comment he made.

Sidewinder    1

I can see your view but at the same time everyone is treated equally...

Trust me... I know :D

McDugals    37

I can see your view but at the same time everyone is treated equally...

Trust me... I know :D

Oh no no no no no I'm not saying the admins and staff treat people differently I was simply guesstamating if that was the mind set that some players may have in being treated differently. I find the admins to be especially unbiased and just and a recent Forum Report proves that. They even made notion to the fact that the accused was a seasoned member and were surprised this happened. I apologize if what I written was perceived that way!

I find the admins to be especially unbiased and just and a recent Forum Report proves that. They even made notion to the fact that the accused was a seasoned member and were surprised this happened. I apologize if what I written was perceived that way!

So you read my report. Did you maybe notice the evidence they had against me? None. Did you notice how i got a chance to defend myself against the accusations? I didnt get one. You still think its a good example of an unbiased report?

Oh no no no no no I'm not saying the admins and staff treat people differently I was simply guesstamating if that was the mind set that some players may have in being treated differently. I find the admins to be especially unbiased and just and a recent Forum Report proves that. They even made notion to the fact that the accused was a seasoned member and were surprised this happened. I apologize if what I written was perceived that way!

I wouldn't worry too much about older players being blase' and expecting people to treat them any differently. There are a number of cases where even a seasoned veteran can derp but generally speaking they have been around for a while and know the lay of the land reasonably well. Shit happens that can throw people off.

Honestly, there isn't too much of an issue as long as people do not automatically expect their opinion to be more valid due to their time being here. I think that might be what you are getting at and if so then there isn't too much of an issue. If people are wrong they will be called out and their 'higher opinion of themselves' will only assist in them coming to terms with it. The bigger they are, the harder they fall, eh?

What we don't really have here is a culture of elitism. Generally, on the whole, there is not much of that here at all. A few isolated comments certainly do not make that the case. :)

-Snip-

Can you play again, yet?

I could use another Aussie spy :(

Caesar    438

I wouldn't worry too much about older players being blase' and expecting people to treat them any differently. There are a number of cases where even a seasoned veteran can derp but generally speaking they have been around for a while and know the lay of the land reasonably well. Shit happens that can throw people off.

Honestly, there isn't too much of an issue as long as people do not automatically expect their opinion to be more valid due to their time being here. I think that might be what you are getting at and if so then there isn't too much of an issue. If people are wrong they will be called out and their 'higher opinion of themselves' will only assist in them coming to terms with it. The bigger they are, the harder they fall, eh?

What we don't really have here is a culture of elitism. Generally, on the whole, there is not much of that here at all. A few isolated comments certainly do not make that the case. :)

-Snip-

Can you play again, yet?

I could use another Aussie spy :(

Its on the cards, no promises though.

Soren    0

I must admit I can't really understand your reasoning for making this post. You're criticizing a portion of the old community members, for how they act on the forum, because you feel like they act as if they were celebrities or were immune to punishment.

That seems like a conclusion you've made for yourself. Maybe a misunderstanding. I agree that older server members usually behave differently than newer forum members, not in a good or bad way, but differently. And that's because they have experience. They feel comfortable being here, and they know the surroundings and most of the people, quite decently. Older forum members tend to me more laid back, they say what they think and speak the truth. Not a lot of newer members dare to share constructive criticism because they don't feel comfortable on the server, and feel they might get hated by all of these new people they haven't gotten to know yet - and that they may get banned for having a negative point of view on something. Older members just dare to share their opinions and are not afraid of going into discussions or even arguments.

When you've been on the server for a long time, you get used to the rules as well. You know exactly where the line goes for what's allowed and what will get you punished. This is something I see a few older members do, simply because they know exactly where the line goes. They don't step over the line - but they go as close as they can. Not because they think they're celebrities or Gods, but because they can. And I'm not saying this "stepping close to the line" is like rule-playing, and abusing the system - I just mean that a community with +10.000 members is not always a bed of roses.

So to round it up, I don't agree that any of these 'Seasoned Community Members' as you generalize them as, are acting up in any way they shouldn't. They just feel comfortable here, and aren't scared to share their opinion, let it be negative or good.

And as others have also said, everyone is treated equally here. Just because you've donated more, played here more or anything - you will always be treated the same. Of course sometimes staff will expect a bit more decency from older members, simply from their long experience here, but that's something else. What my point is that if someone is acting in a way that's punishable or not acceptable, then they will get punished no matter who they are. No older members should be forced to act a certain way to be a 'good example' for the new members - that's not their job. They can of course choose to, but you can't force them. Everyone can be dicks sometimes. And if some old server member is really acting over the line, then the staff will deal with it - let them be the judge of that.

Guest John Le Bear   
Guest John Le Bear

-snip-

I really like this new Soren. You seemed to disappear for a while, but you came back. You came back to speak the truth.

This post and others I have seen recently I agree with by 100%

One thing I ask of the OP, you say "This past week alone I've read reports of blatant blackmailing and racism". I would like to focus on your concern about racism. What exactly is your concern? You only briefly mention it.

Wunsleh    10

-snip-

I'm shy and i feel uncomfortably around you. just you though :P

jokes aside, I think you hit the nail on the head. Everyone is treated equally but some just speak more freely yet still within the obvious borders.

Sin    113

The reports section of the forum will leave a bad taste in your mouth. There's a lot that goes on here, good and bad, and the bad tends to get concentrated in the reports. That's what it's for. As Soren mentioned, a lot of people here tend to play close to the line. This is good and bad by turns, and depending on your perspective. Without pushing and probing of limits, play gets stale and boring. As much as people might talk about lines, some lines are blurred, and others shift over time as staff changes and the playerbase changes. Some players push and probe in an effort to generate change. Sometimes they succeed.

As far as older players being treated differently, that's a charge that I'll cop to. To a limited degree. Those who've been here a long time and know one another as well as one can, given the medium, understand one another and where they're coming from.

Soren's a crackin' smart guy, isn't afraid to speak truth to power, doesn't suffer fools gladly, and occasionally wrongfoots himself with a hasty word here and there. When asked for clarification though, he's generally able to support his position, and you might find yourself agreeing with him.

John the Bear likes to take the occasional swipe at certain deserving posts and players, but he's wise enough to retract his claws when doing so.

Sidewinder is barely able to contain himself from outright flames some days, but his restraint has been exemplary of late.

Wunsleh makes me scratch my head in bewilderment sometimes, and other times he'll post something that makes the crowd stand and cheer.

Misty ... just look at his warning level :D

In short, you're always going to see strange and even unacceptable behaviour. We have a system in place here that allows for people to step over the line from time to time. We believe that a certain level of trouble is inevitable, expected, and probably even beneficial (in terms of preventing complacency). Those who routinely overstep the bounds and/or hurt the community are dealt with over time via the warning points system, and those who go beyond the pale are dealt with immediately by revoking their whitelists.

McDugals    37

The reports section of the forum will leave a bad taste in your mouth. There's a lot that goes on here, good and bad, and the bad tends to get concentrated in the reports. That's what it's for. As Soren mentioned, a lot of people here tend to play close to the line. This is good and bad by turns, and depending on your perspective. Without pushing and probing of limits, play gets stale and boring. As much as people might talk about lines, some lines are blurred, and others shift over time as staff changes and the playerbase changes. Some players push and probe in an effort to generate change. Sometimes they succeed.

As far as older players being treated differently, that's a charge that I'll cop to. To a limited degree. Those who've been here a long time and know one another as well as one can, given the medium, understand one another and where they're coming from.

Soren's a crackin' smart guy, isn't afraid to speak truth to power, doesn't suffer fools gladly, and occasionally wrongfoots himself with a hasty word here and there. When asked for clarification though, he's generally able to support his position, and you might find yourself agreeing with him.

John the Bear likes to take the occasional swipe at certain deserving posts and players, but he's wise enough to retract his claws when doing so.

Sidewinder is barely able to contain himself from outright flames some days, but his restraint has been exemplary of late.

Wunsleh makes me scratch my head in bewilderment sometimes, and other times he'll post something that makes the crowd stand and cheer.

Misty ... just look at his warning level :D

In short, you're always going to see strange and even unacceptable behaviour. We have a system in place here that allows for people to step over the line from time to time. We believe that a certain level of trouble is inevitable, expected, and probably even beneficial (in terms of preventing complacency). Those who routinely overstep the bounds and/or hurt the community are dealt with over time via the warning points system, and those who go beyond the pale are dealt with immediately by revoking their whitelists.

Sin I honestly think you're response was probably the greatest, most intelligent, and analytical response that I've had the privilege to read and I'm glad such an individual is a part of the server staff. And I mean that.

-snip-

I really like this new Soren. You seemed to disappear for a while, but you came back. You came back to speak the truth.

One thing I ask of the OP, you say "This past week alone I've read reports of blatant blackmailing and racism". I would like to focus on your concern about racism. What exactly is your concern? You only briefly mention it.

I for one was quite stuck on that one for a while. I understand it's an RPG where you should be able to express. but giving people the ability to give racist remarks can honestly open a door to many issues that I may be the first to guess.

For starters people could abuse this and simply use racism as a weapon. Think about it, if you are playing a hot headed character of a particular race couldn't you coax the player into acting aggressive. It could unfold in a way that could lead to where you are threatened or escalates into a hold up. But unknown to the now aggravated player personas, a team could eliminate him/her/them by use of the "Good Samaritan Rule" in a loop hole fashion.

Now Im Not saying this in regards to the older members this is just one of several possible loop holes and ideas that may be used should racism remarks be allowed. This "Guerrilla Warfare with Racism" could honestly be elaborated into such a form of Baiting. I'd be more than happy to explain other scenarios that could be created.

And honestly it could be a trolling method. Think about it what if they say remarks that hit you personally, most liking if you feel that strongly of it you may go to far.

But like it was said earlier the system allows enough chances for the inevitable mistakes to happen which again I think is really awesome.

Sin    113

Sin I honestly think you're response was probably the greatest, most intelligent, and analytical response that I've had the privilege to read and I'm glad such an individual is a part of the server staff. And I mean that.

awwwww-i-love-you-_5dda373c1be5a2b1618b1bbede0db9aa-png.3310 Awww, thank you. Your check is in the mail.

Wunsleh    10

tumblr_m7iwykkOdv1rv7995o1_250.gif

Soren    0

I'm shy and i feel uncomfortably around you. just you though :P

jokes aside, I think you hit the nail on the head.

tumblr_m3b4idahwG1rtvwtpo1_400.jpg